PDA

View Full Version : SCAG: The Non-Character Parts

ChelseaNH
2015-11-09, 02:04 PM
Am I the only one who has bothered to try to read the parts that aren't new options for characters?

The first section describes the non-Sword Coast parts of the world, along with some big picture history. The problem is, there's no map, so it's all just a bunch of Proper Nouns.

The second section describes the Sword Coast, of which there is a map, but you have to search all over the map to find the place being discussed, assuming it's even labelled.

This would be maddening enough on its own, but I know enough about technical writing to understand how unnecessary it all is.

DireSickFish
2015-11-09, 02:14 PM
I'm reading through it and am finding it a little shallow. I wish there were more adventure hooks for each area.

I do like its written in character so you can get an idea of how things are but are free to change it. Nice to see the gods have a good chunk of the book, wouldn't be the realms without gods messing with each other all over the place.

Theodoxus
2015-11-09, 02:46 PM
i glanced through it - I miss the old Forgotten Realms Campaign Book style of adventure hooks on nearly every page. Anemic would describe the fluff of SCAG. Fortunately, FRC still works for the most part... a hook is a hook, afterall. Just sad I have to use a nearly 20 year old reference book...

costermonger
2015-11-09, 03:47 PM
I flicked through it and it just seems so shallow, in my head i just saw "retcon everything to do with 4e"

looking at the map, which is fantastic, the only change I can spot from my 3e map is the roads between waterdeep and balders gate have vanished. All the terrain changes have returned to what they were and i haven't spotted any major omissions among the deities, ie all the gods i used in 3e are still available or have returned from the dead.
Therefore i'm going to continue using my 3e FRCS but with a better map. Obviously that means i might as well run the game in the 3e era! So no i won't be purchasing this, i've bought the map seperately (its bigger if you get it from mike schley)

Tanarii
2015-11-09, 03:58 PM
So far I've read the sections on historical time line, gods, and the Lord's Alliance. I had some problems with the first section and the lack of a map too. I've looked at FR maps since 1e, so I have a basic layout of FR countries in my head for the most part, but I was still digging through it to get a general idea for some. And then I did a lot of searching of the local swordcoast map for locations too, although the little mini-maps included for specific cities in the Lord's Alliance really helped.

On the other hand, that gives you a pretty good feeling of exactly how any Swordcoast native would think of it. No map, just proper nouns and maybe a vague description of where it is. In fact, we're better off than the majority of them ... at least we have a map of the swordcoast to refer to.

Estrillian
2015-11-09, 04:29 PM
looking at the map, which is fantastic

Fantastic is not the way I would describe it. The large scale version is far too finely detailed, making it almost impossible to make anything out in the mass of shading and marks. It looks much nicer when you see the zoomed in sections, but the overall one at the front is not accessible. I'd have loved to see a 2 page map, maybe inside the front and back covers, which makes it much easier to find (Like Legends of Anglerre had). Failing that, just a different large scale map.

I'm not that keen on the small scale maps either. They are had to place on the large map, and they often don't seem to bear any relation to the pages they are on (like it doesn't go Map then all the things on that map, then next map, and so on), so sometimes a location just has no map, or the map is 3 pages away. There are a few places I can't find at all, not being an expert on the Realms. Similarly some of the markings are hard to decipher. I don't get a good feeling on the difference between moor and marsh, or grassland and tundra. Tree type isn't represented either.

Tanarii
2015-11-09, 06:42 PM
Here's an old map of FR political boundaries that'll give you an idea of most of what's where on the continent scale:
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/c/c4/Faerun_political.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20070207111759

Coidzor
2015-11-09, 07:58 PM
Here's an old map of FR political boundaries that'll give you an idea of most of what's where on the continent scale:
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/c/c4/Faerun_political.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20070207111759

I think you gave us the thumbnail.

On the other hand, that gives you a pretty good feeling of exactly how any Swordcoast native would think of it. No map, just proper nouns and maybe a vague description of where it is. In fact, we're better off than the majority of them ... at least we have a map of the swordcoast to refer to.

I don't see how that's desirable. :smallconfused: This isn't Warhammer 40K where all of the books are supposed to be propaganda, but rather something to actually facilitate understanding the setting enough to play in it well and make use of what's supposed to be a rich gaming tradition that's older than many of the people who are the market for the SCAG.

Tanarii
2015-11-09, 08:02 PM
I think you gave us the thumbnail.Sure did. This is the 3e map I think:
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/1/10/Map_-_Faerun_-_3E.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120201174035
That's what the world should have approximately reverted to after the ret-con of 4e FR.

I don't see how that's desirable. :smallconfused: This isn't Warhammer 40K where all of the books are supposed to be propaganda, but rather something to actually facilitate understanding the setting enough to play in it well and make use of what's supposed to be a rich gaming tradition that's older than many of the people who are the market for the SCAG.Never said it was desirable. Just that it gives you a good idea of their level of knowledge. IMO we're kind of spoiled in the modern world for maps, especially since the advent of google maps & smart phones.

DireSickFish
2015-11-10, 10:14 AM
Never winter has one of the better write ups. Lots of plot hooks both political and dungeon crawl. The city map is nice as well.

One God missing that I wish was back is Velsharoon.