PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Gestalt Cleric and ??? for Pathfinder

Surfing HalfOrc
2015-11-09, 03:52 PM
OK, I'm not really into min/maxxing, so please don't throw a wall of numbers at me. But I need to create a character and was looking for ideas.

I want to create a cleric combined with something else that will evoke a "football player" vibe, for a Roll20 game. The character will be loosely based on former Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow. So: strong, physically perhaps a little slow, and highly charismatic. Weapon will be a warhammer shaped into a horse's head, robes, armor and shield with a blue and orange theme.

He will be 3rd Level, but since I'm not 100% familiar gestalt building, I don't know if that means 3/3, or 2/1.

Not sure if fighter/cleric is best as clerics are already fighters. But cleric/sorcerer or cleric/wizard doesn't fit the athlete look I was aiming for. Cleric/Paladin?

If you hate Tim Tebow, just imagine you are creating the same thing for Flash Gordon...

EDIT: 25 point build. Not 100% sure what that means, but thank you anyways!

Geddy2112
2015-11-09, 04:07 PM
Tim Tebow might just be straight paladin...

But I second Cleric paladin. It is a bit hard to mix because pallys normally dump wisdom where clerics need it. A ranger would give you the wild "bronco" theme, then you could get a bronco animal companion, and some extra melee feats. You could also go cleric inquisitor for the dual faith build-probably a more versatile beatstick than the paladin.

Edit: this is the nuts and bolts of gestalt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltCharacters.htm) although consult your DM. A 25 point buy system means you have 25 points to "buy" abilities. This is a high point buy and allows you to have very good stats(a normal buy is 15)

Grod_The_Giant
2015-11-09, 04:33 PM
So you want a combination of raw physical power and leadership ability? We can work with that, sure.

For one side, I'll direct you to the Skald. It's basically a bard/barbarian mix, with this like Inspire Rage instead of Inspire Courage. The War Drummer archetype lets you trade out lingering bits of bardic knowledge for increased ability to beat people over the head. (Also use Fated Champion, which is compatible and pretty much just a straight upgrade).

On the other side... You want something to complement the Skald's ability scores and combat role. Swashbuckler leaps to mind, being a pretty sweet melee class with a charisma focus. Paladin would also work quite well, although you'd wind up with two pools of spells. Cavalier couldn't hurt, doubling up on your inspiration while also bolstering your physical chassis.

NomGarret
2015-11-09, 05:44 PM
Cleric/cavalier sounds about right for Tebow. You won't have much Dex if you actually want to throw a football, but neither does the person it's based on 😉.

Surfing HalfOrc
2015-11-09, 08:50 PM
Sounds good! I wasn't planning on him having thrown or ranged weapons, except as a backup. He's more of a "muscle your way through" type of fighter.

The game I'm joining specifically asked me to be a cleric, then added the gestalt option. With Warcraft paladins having warhammers, I thought that a hammer equipped paladin would fit.

I'll also take a look at the other options listed above, and will see if other folks have ideas as well.

DMVerdandi
2015-11-09, 09:45 PM
Aasimar Empereyal bloodline sorcerer.

Casts off WIS.

Then make your Cleric the evangelist archetype.

Now he has bardic music, cleric casting, and sorcerer casting.
Cop extra bardic music and extend spell.

Abithrios
2015-11-10, 02:27 AM
Sounds good! I wasn't planning on him having thrown or ranged weapons, except as a backup. He's more of a "muscle your way through" type of fighter.

The game I'm joining specifically asked me to be a cleric, then added the gestalt option. With Warcraft paladins having warhammers, I thought that a hammer equipped paladin would fit.

I'll also take a look at the other options listed above, and will see if other folks have ideas as well.

Did they say why they wanted you to be a cleric? If it's just for healing, you might do better as a paladin//oracle. Choose the life mystery. This lets you get life link, which transfers damage from your allies to you. Combine that with paladin's lay on hands, which lets you heal that damage as a swift action. This leaves the whole party healthy, and you still have your move action to get up cozy with the original source of the damage and your standard action to pulverize its skull with your blessed hammer of justice.

Summary:
Paladin gives you:
Swift action healing
Full base attack bonus
d10 hit points
Smite
Charisma to saves
Immunity to fear

Oracle gives you:
Full spell casting from cleric list
Damage transferring
Channel positive energy

And that is just at level three.

You are a strong. You are charismatic. You are religious. You are a team player. That is about all I know about Tebow.

The classes work well together, and are one of rare cases when multclassing is actually worthwhile in pathfinder. With gestalt, it should be even better.

Here is a guide that goes into more detail. It does not assume gestalt. The major difference is that you are level three in both classes.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?257365-PF-Oradin-Mini-Guide-Or-How-to-be-a-Healbot-minus-the-bot

Peat
2015-11-10, 03:08 AM
Abithrios makes a really good suggestion there for my money. +1.

The Sensei Monk could also work if you wanna stick as Cleric in that you'd be very athletic, a great leader, and much in love with you WIS.

Psyren
2015-11-10, 10:17 AM
If you want a thrower for the other side of your gestalt, Shield Champion Brawler could be fun. You'll have high AC and be able to pull off lots of trick shots at range.

Surfing HalfOrc
2015-11-10, 10:49 AM
I'm liking what Abithrios said too! That seems almost exactly Tim Tebow as a D&D character.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Now to the character sheet!