PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Wolf (PF Phantom Steed Variant) as Attack Spell?

g3taso
2015-11-09, 09:10 PM
I've had Ghost Wolf (http://dxcontent.com/SDB_SpellBlock.asp?SDBID=1477) brought to my attention. It's a variation of Phantom Steed, but it's chainable.

I have a player who wants to chain it, combining it with the PF Dazing Spell feat or possibly any of a number of other feats. And looking at it, I can see why. As a 13th level character, calling up 14 critters with a +10 attack (or +16CMB assuming 20 strength for overbearing, pinning and such) is pretty amazing all by itself, but having those critters dazing or some other sorts of goodies is pretty cool.

It's a PF campaign (3.5 friendly in terms of feats, items and such). My first thought is "this is legal". [Feedback if I am missing something\

My second thought is "what are some of the cool things that can be done with this"?

Lemme know if this is as cool as I think for a 4th (or 2nd level) spell and what kind of craziness this can be capable of! I'm asking how I can get this PIMPED OUT!

BowStreetRunner
2015-11-09, 09:23 PM
The spell does not inflict any damage. The spell summons a creature. The summoned creature does the damage.

Reading this any other way takes you down a very slippery slope. (i.e. Grease suddenly becomes a damaging spell if it is cast in such a way as to make someone fall.)

g3taso
2015-11-09, 10:02 PM
Creates a creature, actually. But I see your point.

avr
2015-11-09, 11:03 PM
First, it only attacks as per its riders direction. You need one rider per wolf, or you need a way of swapping from mount to mount as a free action. There may be some way of doing that somewhere in D&D/PF but if so I don't know it.

I'm not sure about the 'it's a summons, not a spell' argument. It seems more like spiritual ally/weapon than like summon monster X. It doesn't have enough characteristics to do combat maneuvers as you suggest, for example.

Dazing chain ghost wolf is a 9th level summoner spell (they're 6 level casters) or an 11th level sorc/wiz spell, so you'll need metamagic reducers and/or metamagic rods (& probably quite a high character level too) just to pull this off. The save DC will suck horribly considering how much you need to invest to do this.

g3taso
2015-11-09, 11:07 PM
Dazing chain ghost wolf is a 9th level summoner spell (they're 6 level casters) or an 11th level sorc/wiz spell, so you'll need metamagic reducers and/or metamagic rods (& probably quite a high character level too) just to pull this off. The save DC will suck horribly considering how much you need to invest to do this.

It has a 2nd level spell slot, so for the character in question it's a 4th level spell slot with Chain Spell(with a metamagic reducer), so he can put it on a Spell Storing Item (Artificer). After that, he wants to put on Dazing, or Fell Drain, or something else via Metamagic Item. Just so ya know.

avr
2015-11-09, 11:24 PM
Right, open book artificers. Broken by definition.

atemu1234
2015-11-10, 12:35 PM
Right, open book artificers. Broken by definition.

Open book anything is broken in this game.