PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Special Material for a Club?

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-11-09, 09:52 PM
I am looking for a special material to provide a boost for my club. It doesn't have to be organic as long as it is rules legal.

Most everything only helps metals.

So far the only thing I have eliminated Darkwood, Duskwood, Bronzewood, Wildwood, Bluewood, Densewood, Soarwood, Weirwood, and Dragonfang.

Thanks in Advance!

Crake
2015-11-09, 09:53 PM
A masterwork club could easily be made of some kind of metal, so adamantine could be good for breaking stuff?

Curmudgeon
2015-11-09, 10:02 PM
The composition is specified in the weapon description.
Club: A wooden club is so easy to find and fashion that it has no cost.
How about Serren wood (Book of Exalted Deeds, page 38) to give your club the ghost touch property?

gorfnab
2015-11-09, 10:07 PM
How about Serren wood (Book of Exalted Deeds, page 38) to give your club the ghost touch property?
Surprisingly Serren Wood only works on bows, arrows, or crossbow bolts. It really doesn't make too much sense why it wouldn't work for a quarterstaff. I think the only way around that might be an Elvencraft Longbow, but that may be pushing it. Up to your DM I guess.

Curmudgeon
2015-11-09, 11:54 PM
Surprisingly Serren Wood only works on bows, arrows, or crossbow bolts. It really doesn't make too much sense why it wouldn't work for a quarterstaff. I think the only way around that might be an Elvencraft Longbow, but that may be pushing it. Up to your DM I guess.
I guess that's what I get by using an index and not hauling the book off the shelf, but this restriction is pretty absurd. Apart from an Elvencraft shortbow/club, ghost touch isn't going to help your bow: that property doesn't propagate from the bow to the arrows. The only ghost touch use on your bow is if you whack someone with it in melee. :smallmad:

Suichimo
2015-11-10, 12:48 AM
Is it possible to up it to a Great Club? Those, iirc, usually have metal bands which let them benefit from things like adamantine.

If not, the wooden materials don't do too much for melee weapons.

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-11-10, 06:34 AM
Greatclubs don't work with Shillelagh. That spell is the entire point to using the weapon. It is meant as a low level melee option.

Second Arrow
2015-11-10, 07:15 AM
Doesn't Shillelagh only work with oak clubs anyway?

Belzyk
2015-11-10, 07:22 AM
Maul of the Titans.....

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-11-10, 07:25 AM
Doesn't Shillelagh only work with oak clubs anyway?

From SRD, "Your own nonmagical club or quarterstaff". Nothing about oak.

Belzyk
2015-11-10, 07:25 AM
Greatclubs don't work with Shillelagh. That spell is the entire point to using the weapon. It is meant as a low level melee option.

If your strength is high enough just drag around a small tree as your club. And talk to your dm about its damage. Mabye it could be a magically enhanced tree or some such. One of my friends from roll 20 was a werewolf that used a cypress tree as a club

Bronk
2015-11-10, 07:28 AM
So far the only thing I have eliminated Darkwood, Duskwood, Bronzewood, Wildwood, Bluewood, Densewood, Soarwood, Weirwood, and Dragonfang.

How about livewood? It's from Eberron, you club would still be wood, would qualify for any spells that can target living plants, and could even have a dryad inside.

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-11-10, 07:33 AM
If your strength is high enough just drag around a small tree as your club. And talk to your dm about its damage. Mabye it could be a magically enhanced tree or some such. One of my friends from roll 20 was a werewolf that used a cypress tree as a club

Thanks, but I need something in the rules. Homebrew is to be avoided.

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-11-10, 07:36 AM
How about livewood? It's from Eberron, you club would still be wood, would qualify for any spells that can target living plants, and could even have a dryad inside.

No druid in the party, Oil of Shillelagh is a nice cheap option for first level. A portable dryad?.....Not so much. :smallsmile:

SangoProduction
2015-11-10, 08:09 AM

Improvised Weapons rules.

And a club is little more than a hardy stick.

Or go the easy way and ask if you can stick a nail through it, and boom, you get to use metal materials. Of course, if this is just a low level character, then it doesn't really matter, as the materials won't be cost effective at low levels.

Second Arrow
2015-11-10, 08:20 AM
From SRD, "Your own nonmagical club or quarterstaff". Nothing about oak.

Well...

Shillelagh
Transmutation
Level: Drd 1
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One touched nonmagical oak club or quarterstaff
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)
Your own nonmagical club or quarterstaff becomes a weapon with a +1 enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls. (A quarterstaff gains this enhancement for both ends of the weapon.) It deals damage as if it were two size categories larger. These effects only occur when the weapon is wielded by you. If you do not wield it, the weapon behaves as if unaffected by this spell.

Of course, I might be overlooking something here, but...

Necroticplague
2015-11-10, 08:26 AM

No homebrew is needed, CWar has rules for improvised weapons based on weight.

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-11-10, 11:54 AM
Well...

Of course, I might be overlooking something here, but...

I didn't even look at that part of it.....

Thanks everyone.