PDA

View Full Version : Increadibly low power campaing

Vulgosh
2007-05-29, 12:44 PM
Every body has 10 in all stats except one which is a twelve (not including racial abilitie bonuses).

Quietus
2007-05-29, 01:25 PM
Every body has 10 in all stats except one which is a twelve (not including racial abilitie bonuses).

.... And? This thread is lose.

Quietus
2007-05-29, 01:34 PM

.... And? This thread is lose.

Dausuul
2007-05-29, 01:50 PM

And the point of this would be...?

It doesn't sound very interesting to me.

Matthew
2007-05-29, 05:42 PM
Virtually no Feats would be available. Otherwise, it just means using less powerful Monsters. No big deal, really, especially once they start acquiring Magic Items that enhance attributes and such.

2007-05-29, 05:50 PM
TPK via dire rat.

Diamondeye
2007-05-29, 05:53 PM
Your primary casters are pretty much completely boned. They only have enough in their casting attribute to cast 2nd level spells. At 4th level they can raise it to 13 and get 3rd level spells at 5th (6th for sorcerers) but at 7th level, no 4th level spells.. gotta wait for another increase at 8th.

At 9th level, when you should be getting 5th level spells you've got 3 levels to go till you get that attribue to 15.

It gets worse the higher you go.

Of course, maybe that's the point, but I don't know how it'll go over with the players.

Ninja Chocobo
2007-05-29, 06:00 PM
Bad idea, bad execution, really bad spelling.
Like, REALLY bad spelling.

goat
2007-05-29, 06:04 PM
If you're letting people use the gorram elf "I can do anything you can but better" subraces, they could start with a 14, that would get them to 19 by 20th level, by which time they should have been able to get their hands on kit to do enough for the rest.

Limit it to just the base races, and casters will be damaged, but combatants will be equally gipped.

Jacob Orlove
2007-05-29, 06:16 PM
Druids would wreck this game--their animal companion would be stronger than any two other characters at first level, and as soon as they hit 5th, Wildshape negates their poor starting stats. Plus, with Augment Summoning, they can use Summon Nature's Ally to get a whole horde of better-than-the-fighter monsters.

Yechezkiel
2007-05-29, 06:18 PM

I play RPGs with dice.

(See, I didn't make a point either...)

karmuno
2007-05-29, 06:30 PM
You're much, much better off just using a low point buy system, because with what you propose there are only six possible stat blocks, coupled with eleven classes and seven races, gives you 462 possible combinations before skills, feats, equipment, etc. This leads to a bland campaign. Even though 462 is obviously a higher number than that of the characters your players will be playing (hopefully), chances are that for each class only a couple different ability sets will be chosen. Not to mention that certain class/race combinations are less likely than others (Half-Orc rogue, for example). This results in something like 110 likely combinations. For an RPG, this number is ridiculously small, and if the system were to be used outside of your game, even if 10^-15% of the D&D population uses it, there will be many identical characters in existence. A point buy that gives you 14 points doesn't give much more variation, but at least it allows the players to have some variation.

Not to mention that lowered ability scores aren't the most elegant or creative way to make a campaign low-powered, but I'm not about to go into changing game mechanics here.