PDA

View Full Version : Would it be worth it?

Last_resort_33
2007-05-29, 01:59 PM
Dispite the measures taken to ease server load, it is obvious that there are still serious problems. So my question it this:

How many people would it take to sign up to a (say) $5 a month completely voluntary donation via paypal or somesuch, to upgrade the hosting server enough to make a noticeable differance to the speed of the site?

I, and I'm sure many others, if they knew that it would make a differance to the site, would opt to pay this without any "goodies", however, if such a system were to be implemented, would The Giant be willing to give these people the occational one frame funny or something like that?

Everyone would still be able to access the site, however these people would simply be happy with the idea that they had helped the community by acutally helping to pay for a better server/connection.

Would such a system be worth setting up in the first place?

Tormsskull
2007-05-30, 09:50 AM
How many people would it take to sign up to a (say) $5 a month completely voluntary donation via paypal or somesuch, to upgrade the hosting server enough to make a noticeable differance to the speed of the site?

I suggested something in the recent pass about opening up donations to fix the server problem, but I did not get any response from forum administration. Maybe you will.

crimson77
2007-05-30, 10:05 AM
I know that comic sites like http://www.goblinscomic.com/ do a comic adventure for donations called Temps fate (http://www.goblinscomic.com/tf7.html). I think that OOTS has a larger reader base than goblins. It might be something to look into doing.

Last_resort_33
2007-05-30, 04:02 PM
I would really like a mod response from this, even if it is only to explain why not, or a note of intention to ask Rich, or even a something saying that there may be something in the works but you can't really say yet.

But I can't really see Rich really complaining about him setting up a system for people to give him free money every month.

Please?

I'll look really cute at you :smile:

onasuma
2007-05-30, 04:08 PM
personally, id be more likly to donate to a tempts fate type thing rather than just paying. Having a limited budget and playing warhammer dont leave much left over, but to see the forum speed up, would be nice

Roland St. Jude
2007-05-30, 07:01 PM
The idea of some kind of donation or quasi-donation system has been, and continues to be, under consideration. Many variations are on the table as fodder for discussion and Rich's ultimate decision.

I hate to sound like Brother Rawhide here, but we're at least one step ahead of you. That said, when will you see something in this vein, if ever? No one can say; it's unsatisfying, I suspect, but true. Rest assured, if we launch such a thing, you'll know about it. Until then...it's under consideration.

crimson77
2007-05-30, 07:34 PM
personally, id be more likly to donate to a tempts fate type thing rather than just paying.

One problem that I can see with the Tempts Fate type of donation meter is that it would add more work to rich. It seems to me that we (message board users) benefit more from the message board then rich does. I wounder if it would be better if message board uses owned the responsibility for the tempts fate type comics to be produced.

Tormsskull
2007-05-30, 08:37 PM
I hate to sound like Brother Rawhide here, but we're at least one step ahead of you. That said, when will you see something in this vein, if ever? No one can say; it's unsatisfying, I suspect, but true. Rest assured, if we launch such a thing, you'll know about it. Until then...it's under consideration.

But at least an answer is better than silence. A lot of time when posters ask questions/suggest things, they aren't demanding immediate results, but just having someone say "We heard you, we're considering it, we'll let you know" can be very reassuring. Or even "Not a chance", at least you know someone took the time to read your suggestions/question and responded to you.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-05-31, 08:13 AM
But at least an answer is better than silence. A lot of time when posters ask questions/suggest things, they aren't demanding immediate results, but just having someone say "We heard you, we're considering it, we'll let you know" can be very reassuring. Or even "Not a chance", at least you know someone took the time to read your suggestions/question and responded to you.

They still haven't gotten back to me on that English Australia tally board for the Cricket, or my suggestion to hire out mod powers for a day to earn extra cash.:smallannoyed:

And if the former mentioned tally board dosen't work out, we could always donate it to Charity...