PDA

View Full Version : Let's... Make New Mega Pokemon!

MesiDoomstalker
2015-11-10, 12:23 AM
I know, everyone is doing it already. But I have 2 ideas and wanted them out there and might as well see what other people got.

First; Mega Arcanine! I'm not sure what it look like. Probably getting even fluffier, and a general size increase.

Type: Unchanged
Ability: Infernilate
Turns Normal moves into Fire type moves and gives them x1.33 boost.
Stat changes: +20 to all stats
Final Stat Totals:
HP 90 (unchanged)
Atk 130 (+20)
Def 100 (+20)
SAtk 120 (+20)
Sdef 100 (+20)
Spd 115 (+20)

I can really see this as something Gamefreak would put out. For starters, they tend to give -ilate abilities to pokemon with fairly unique Normal moves to take advantage of it (Explosion on Mega-Glalie, Hyper Voice on Sylveon, Aurorous and Mega Gardevoir, Double-Edge on Mega Salemence, etc) and adding one of the few mon with Extremespeed just makes sense. To balance out the absolute strongest and most devastating Priority user, the stat boosts are marginal and spread out. What you get is a supreme revenge killer, with pretty good bulk and enough speed and in either attack stat to go for either or Mixed. I can see a mixed set running Extremespeed, Overheat, Close Combat and Crunch.

The other one I had an idea for is...

Mega Rhyperior
I have absolutely no idea what he'd look like. Probably gets ridiculously oversized drill's for arms or something. I'm thinking lots of drills.

Type: Ground/Steel
Ability: Solid Rock
Stat changes: +20 Attack, +20 Defense, +10 Special Attack, +40 Special Defense, +10 Speed
Final Stat Totals:
HP 115 (unchanged)
Atk 160 (+20)
Def 150 (+20)
SAtk 65 (+10)
Sdef 95 (+40)
Spd 50 (+10)

This one I'm less certain Gamefreak would actually make. Rhyperior has such amazing potential with its absolutely ludicrous physical stats. It's physical bulk is nuts. It eats Earthquakes and Close Combat's over and over again. A Mega-Heracross barely 2HKO's with a Close Combat and that is the strongest unboosted Fighting move in the meta. But it's Special Defense is absolutely trash. Paired with its amazing Offensively but terrible Defensively typing even Solid Rock doesn't let it take special Grass or Water hits.

So a Mega Rhyperior needs to capitalize on its strengths (amazing physical stats, good offensive typing and ability) and lessen its faults (tons of weaknesses, paper thin special bulk). Typing becomes Ground/Steel maintaining the primary typing. It removes all x4 weaknesses, gains a bunch of resistances and reduces total number of weaknesses by 1. It gains a modest amount to Special Attack and Speed (since very few Mega's don't add to every stat and the few that do really needed the help, looking at you Mega-Beedrill). It gains slightly more to Attack and Defense, edging its bulk and physical prowess slightly higher, though Life Orb Rhyperior will easily be stronger. Finally, a full 40 points to Special Defense to a solid 95. 95 is by no means super bulky or even that stellar, but combined with that massive 115 HP, the newer and better typing and Solid Rock, Mega-Rhyperior will no longer cower in fear of a light drizzle or an autumn leaf.

What do you guys think? Anyone else have ideas for new Mega Pokemon?

JetpackJimmy
2015-11-14, 01:40 PM
Well, to be honest, Arcanine's already a decently badass force in the VGC meta, where I usually play and where Game Freak balances for.

Those kind of serious buffs (STAB 1.33x Extremespeed for one), seem a bit out of place.

Given all the Rock/Ground defensive Megas we already have, taking a frankly kind of boring one and trying to buff that seems kind of silly. It's still better to just use Mega-Tyranitar (or even Aggronite), even if Mega-Rhy was a thing.

After all. One provides sand and has the badassery we expect of a Tyranitar, and the other is Rhyperior with its weaknesses hastily shored up. But lets say Rhyperior does lose its issues with survivability. You've just created something truly broken.

As for an actual suggestion, here goes:

Mega Mr. Mime

Yes, it sounds silly. Absolutely. Mr. Mime is honestly a very lame Pokémon. However, we do have a shot here to do something different that is both thematically appropriate for the 'Mon and not really seen a lot as far as Megas go, in the vein of Audino or Slowbro.

Appearance wise, I could see it growing a bit, becoming slightly more humanoid, though only slightly, and perhaps upgrading to a vaguely motley-inspired outfit. Kind of Kingdom-Hearts-Wonderland-esque, in my mind.

Type: Unchanged. Psychic/Fairy is by no means bad, and we want to only make changes that fit the new high concept, that is, of a Prankster Pokémon intended to do less status chicanery and more "special condition" chicanery, such as Evasion exploiting getting Safeguard set up, Trick Room, and other such things. Due to Mr. Mime's lack of Swagger and the more mainstream status moves, let's also try and give it some firepower.

Ability: Prankster
Stat Changes: +50 to Special Attack, +20 to HP
Final Base Stat Totals:
HP: 60
Atk: 45
Def: 65
SpA: 150
SpD: 120
Spe: 90

What Mega-Mime becomes now is a very usable Trick Room Pokémon, but one that absolutely requires that Trick Room to be activated. Luckily, due to Prankster, it can set TR. Its new SpA is respectable, but significantly lower than Mega-Alakazam. I enjoy these kind of Pokémon over just giving fan favorites stat buffs and more firepower, as they actually change the way the game is played, without (hopefully) overcentralizing.