PDA

View Full Version : Crime syndicates, poison, and bio weapons.

Elendil412
2015-11-10, 04:56 AM
My next character idea is a wizard. Whose goal is to create bio weapons. But a bigger goal is to build a crime syndicate.

So I am coming here for ideas and advice on building that syndicate.
Obviously as a wizard I will have a plethora of ways to keep control of my business when I get it running.

My problem is how to start (especially at low levels)
Would love if you had ideas on how to start especially if I could start 1st level

DMVerdandi
2015-11-10, 12:51 PM
My next character idea is a wizard. Whose goal is to create bio weapons. But a bigger goal is to build a crime syndicate.

So I am coming here for ideas and advice on building that syndicate.
Obviously as a wizard I will have a plethora of ways to keep control of my business when I get it running.

My problem is how to start (especially at low levels)
Would love if you had ideas on how to start especially if I could start 1st level

This is a cool idea. Assuming 3.5. Let's see if I can help.

As always, level one is going to be some of that bull. Get crossbow, Use spells like sleep, grease, web, etc, and coup de grace stuff (or have others do it for you.)

Here is my suggestion. Wizard 5/Alchemist savant 5/Mage of the Arcane Order 10
Have the arcane order actually be the crime syndicate ITSELF. Like, to get in you have to be a spell caster, and affiliated. Or rather, it covers separate mage guilds, and your class levels pertain to YOUR guild.

For the wizard, you are going to want to take spontaneous divination ACF, and possibly domain wizard as well.
Get all the prerequisite feats, as well as attempt to get a couple of reserve feats. Acidic splatter would probably be a good one. Also get heighten spell, so you can continuously improve upon it buy putting an acid spell at a higher spell level.

Spells you should focus on as you gain in level?
Necromancy, enchantment and conjuration.
Fog spells are dank, pick up the summon undead spells, and mind altering spells.
Of course have utility spells as well.

Talk to your DM about the leadership feat to get yourself a consigliere as a cohort.[If you can, make him a cleric of magic/???]

gorfnab
2015-11-10, 03:14 PM
Here is a handbook that may help you with the poison options: Arsenic & Old Lace: The Poison Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2714)
Consider getting a low level psion on the payroll or as a follower. Gallons of plant based poison made in one minute can be very useful for a crime syndicate.

Human Psion 1
Stats: let's be optimistic and assume that the follower has a 14 int.
Skills: Craft (Poisonmaking) 4 ranks
Feats:
Skill Focus (Craft (Poisonmaking))
Master of Poisons
Spells:
Psionic Minor Creation
Items: Masterwork tools
Check: take 10 for a DC 21 check, enough to magically create a cubic foot of Sassonne Leaf residue (DC 16 to resist, 2d12 damage/1d6 Con).

You can get very close to pushing this up to Black Lotus Extract (DC 35) with a Psicrystal (Artiste) and a casting of the spell Guidance of the Avatar.

Elendil412
2015-11-10, 04:36 PM
Something my dm has done with humans and wizards
Humans get +1 to 2 attributes, 8 skill points at first level and 2 each afterwards, bonus feat at first and additional as leveling.
Wizards 6+int skill points. Free silent, still, enlarge, maximize. On specialty schools.
And additional 2 spells/level after researching for specialty schools.

I am planning to be neutral (do says the joker is "true neutral")

The best advice would be how to start this project at level 1 :)

Kol Korran
2015-11-11, 07:40 AM
The possibly of building a syndicate, as in any organization, depends mostly on the setting, the NPCs and organizations in it, and opportunities, and far less in your specific build:
- are you ruled by force? By law? What laws, if any, exist, and who enforces them?
- what crime organizations are there already? Thearly may be competition, allies, and more.
- what is the setting about? Any special valuable resources? Any opportunities to take?
- lastly, and quite importantly- are the group, and your DM OK with your plan? I'd the game is about traveling to many different locals, fighting monsters for a mcguffin, building a syndicate won't come to light. If most of the party play good guys, you're likely to have tons of problems. Have you communicated your ambitions with the group?

all of these matter far more than the specificbuild.

Fouredged Sword
2015-11-11, 10:40 AM
Bio-Weapons sounds like using the disease rules.

icefractal
2015-11-11, 02:01 PM
Something you can do even at first level, to start building up funds and connections, is selling your spellcasting services. The standard price (per spell) is 10 * spell level * caster level, and that's for services that were arranged in advance. In some towns, the market may be over-saturated or there might not be much demand - both of which you can mitigate by making some underworld connections and offering "no questions asked" casting.

Consider establishing a second identity (or more than two). Illusions like Disguise Self will make it easier to do so, and it may come in handy - "Bile Lotus, the crime boss? Never heard of him, I'm Hans Starsilver, established merchant. Did you want to buy something?"

Elendil412
2015-11-11, 02:12 PM
I like that.
I was also thinking of speaking with thieves guilds and such and offering my intelligence, and services extracting information.
So much can be extracted (even first level) when you know how to control acid (weaken it so it just burns but not real damage) and a dagger. Then there is disguise self so they can't recognize you.