PDA

View Full Version : New Character

Valamere
2007-05-29, 07:47 PM
Hi everybody this is my first post in the forum and i hope this is the right place. I have always played a full caster class and want to try something else. My current group consists of a sword and sheild fighter, a brawn over brains barbarian, a ninja that never seems to make it to the sessions, and a sorcerer that wants to spec in fire spells the books i can use are core, and complete adventurer, arms and equipment guide, and complete scondrel (need to get more books for non casters) if you link me im sure my dm will let me use any thing else, he needs to be level 2. any sugestions

Dhavaer
2007-05-29, 07:50 PM
Maybe an archery-based ranger? Could be quite good with Complete Adventurer.

Valamere
2007-05-29, 07:52 PM
could be a possibility any sugestions on feats and the like?

Vuzzmop
2007-05-29, 07:53 PM
Spellthief maybe? A good skillful character which makes a great transition from primary casters.

Dhavaer
2007-05-29, 07:54 PM
Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Far Shot, Improved Unarmed Strike. Depends what level you are.

Stevenson
2007-05-29, 07:55 PM
I have a suggestion. Capitilization.

Sorry, just felt the need to edit something, it's a habit.

Seriously though, if you're going something not *full* caster, with that party, I'd go bard. Personally.

If not, then I'd wholeheartedly approve of....hm....Swashbuckler's out. Darn. Oh! You should be a scout! Sounds like ya'all are missing some unlimited ranged unit capacity, and scouts are pretty good at that.

shaka gl
2007-05-29, 08:03 PM
Having access only to CAdv and CSco, I`d say that Scout or Rogue are by far your best options.

PS: Elf as a race would be a good idea, too.

Laurellien
2007-05-29, 08:03 PM
Bards aren't really that fun to play in my experience. You should try an archery build or a rogue. Perhaps even a psion or tome of battle character?

Valamere
2007-05-29, 08:05 PM
Ok I think that ranged sounds good, so what should i go for, Ranger, Scout, or Fighter for the bonus feats and later multiclass, also what about PrC

Laurellien
2007-05-29, 08:13 PM
Go for ranger and take fighter2 for the bonus feats. Not sure about PrC's, maybe Complete Warrior or Complete Adventurer has the PrC just right for you.

Valamere
2007-05-29, 09:38 PM
Just wondering what is better compound or regular bow. Also could someone explain what the difference is?

Smiley_
2007-05-29, 09:39 PM
I have found that the sword and shield fighter can be really fun to play if made correctly. Take improved shield bash and maybe work towards whirlwind attack. The two handed weapon feats would be needed too, but you can end up with a mobile/chainsaw/tank with a monstrously high AC and a high damage output.

de-trick
2007-05-29, 09:46 PM
I'd say put levels in fighter to get perquisites for order of bow initiative good range stuff there
plus if u play a human fighter by second Lev you'll have the feats

PinkysBrain
2007-05-29, 09:48 PM
Whirlwind attack? Sword and board? OotBI??? What the hell?

Sword and board gives you high AC with poor damage output (and at higher levels animated shields will really make you regret your choices). Whirlwind attack is a poor idea at the best of time, and a worse idea with sword and board (because your attacks cause less damage). OotBI is a really poor prestige class.

Valamere, a couple of levels of paladin wouldn't hurt ... it would allow you to use both wands of lesser restoration and CLW, without which adventuring can be a pain. You are also sorely missing knowledge skills (my present party suffers the same problem after a wizard decided to change characters to a paladin, the next session we ran into oozes ... which the melee types charged, promptly losing some very expensive equipment).

de-trick
2007-05-29, 09:49 PM
Just wondering what is better compound or regular bow. Also could someone explain what the difference is?

compound better cost more but lets you add strength to damage

Shoyliguad
2007-05-29, 09:54 PM
ok so we are really limited, no full casters then I guess if you want to have some fun play a bard or a monk, they are underappreciated and are fun to play just for that reason.

Valamere
2007-05-29, 10:00 PM
Where is the OotBI located at?

Also I dont know about Paladin's, dont like the Lawful Good requirment

Matthew
2007-06-06, 05:23 PM
I would have thought a Beguiler would be a great choice in this set up.

Tellah
2007-06-06, 05:31 PM
The archer build going around these days is Scout 4/Ranger 16 with the Swift Hunter feat from Complete Scoundrel to keep skirmish progression going. Read this (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=854152) for more information on that build. Ranger 1/Rogue 1/Scout 18 nets you sneak attack, skirmish, and favored enemy progression with a two feat investment, albeit at a lower BAB.

You can make other fun, interesting archer builds with Cleric, Psychic Warrior, Wilder, and a handful of other classes.