PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Lower level humanoid only Polymorph?

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-11-10, 06:54 AM
Is there a 3rd level or less spell that lets you take humanoid forms? I already know about the DFA invocation. I need an arcane spell.

This is for a tiny, shining outsider that occasionally needs to be more circumspect...or just bigger.

Thanks in Advance!

Heliomance
2015-11-10, 07:02 AM
If you're starting as a humanoid, Alter Self. If not, I'm not aware of any.

Necroticplague
2015-11-10, 07:33 AM
Do you mean Humanoid type, or humanoid shape?

Jack_Simth
2015-11-10, 08:13 AM
If you're starting as a humanoid, Alter Self. If not, I'm not aware of any.

If you're playing Pathfinder, Alter Self is specifically restricted to humanoid forms, even if you're casting it as a dragon or some such.

If you need a humanoid form because you're playing a dragon, then Dragons of Eberron, page 15, has the Alternate Form feat which gives you what you want via a slightly different route.

Crake
2015-11-10, 08:55 AM
If you're playing Pathfinder, Alter Self is specifically restricted to humanoid forms, even if you're casting it as a dragon or some such.

If you need a humanoid form because you're playing a dragon, then Dragons of Eberron, page 15, has the Alternate Form feat which gives you what you want via a slightly different route.

Worth noting that that feat requires specifically true dragon and sorcerer casting level 5, so you either need to be really old, or have class levels, so it's a hard one to qualify for.

atemu1234
2015-11-10, 09:55 AM
Worth noting that that feat requires specifically true dragon and sorcerer casting level 5, so you either need to be really old, or have class levels, so it's a hard one to qualify for.

Or have taken Practiced Spellcaster, with 5 or more HD.

Crake
2015-11-10, 10:09 AM
Or have taken Practiced Spellcaster, with 5 or more HD.

Not quite, it says "Sorcerer Level 5" not "Sorcerer Caster Level 5", so practised spellcaster, which only increases caster level, would not do the trick.

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-11-10, 11:49 AM
The character is a Radiant Petal. I need to be more circumspect around town, and occasionally a larger size.

atemu1234
2015-11-10, 12:00 PM
Not quite, it says "Sorcerer Level 5" not "Sorcerer Caster Level 5", so practised spellcaster, which only increases caster level, would not do the trick.

Either way, a normal dragon would not qualify. They'd need the class levels, then.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-11-10, 12:01 PM
The character is a Radiant Petal. I need to be more circumspect around town, and occasionally a larger size.

I could have sworn that there were medium sized far that looked mostly elven. In theory any normal ish looking medium sized far wearing a heavy cloak should suffice, making alter form a good choice

Flickerdart
2015-11-10, 12:06 PM
Why not just alter self into an aasimar?

Necroticplague
2015-11-10, 01:20 PM
Why not just alter self into an aasimar?

I thought Aasimar were Outsiders, not Fey?

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-11-10, 01:29 PM
I am tiny. Alter Self only allows one size change. I can use this, but I was hoping for more options than Wispling, D'hin'ni, and Sylph. They are a little taller, but I am not sure how circumspect they would be in a town full of humans.

Lord Vukodlak
2015-11-10, 01:51 PM
I am tiny. Alter Self only allows one size change. I can use this, but I was hoping for more options than Wispling, D'hin'ni, and Sylph. They are a little taller, but I am not sure how circumspect they would be in a town full of humans.

Alterself into D'hin'ni, then disguise self (say hat of disguise) into a Halfling.

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-11-10, 03:09 PM
I thought Aasimar were Outsiders, not Fey?

The Radiant template alters type to Outsider.

Flickerdart
2015-11-10, 03:29 PM
Alter self into a Small creature, and then use reflective disguise, disguise self or a Hat of Disguise to appear taller.

Heliomance
2015-11-11, 03:27 AM
I once built a Petal that spent most of their time using the Disguise skill to disguise themselves as a Corollax - basically a parrot that can shoot Colour Spray. The penalty for different species is only -2!

Chronos
2015-11-11, 09:47 AM
Aren't there rules somewhere for aasimar that are based on other humanoids instead of humans, so you could have (for instance) a planetouched halfling?

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-11-11, 09:58 AM
Aren't there rules somewhere for aasimar that are based on other humanoids instead of humans, so you could have (for instance) a planetouched halfling?

D'hin'ni and Wisplings are planetouched halflings.

Wispling = halfling version of tiefling.

D'hin'ni = halfling with djinn blood.