PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Drinking Problem

DizzyWood
2015-11-10, 10:35 AM
So my DM forgot that half elves also have fey ancestry in a previous session and my character got hella charmed and put through the ringer. I also didn't remember this fact to remind him so after the fact I wondered how this would effect my character. So I have started drinking (my character has...I was borne with vodka in my hand). Ayen my half elf former high end prostitute turned adventuring dragon sorcerer feels violated and angry as hell. He is not used to loosing control. I just don't know how to play that and I could use some advice. Please help me!

Notafish
2015-11-10, 11:14 AM
I might play it similar to Spock, but replace Vulcan with Elven or fae culture: work on emphasizing the character's elven traits at the expense of human ones. I'm not sure what that would entail in your game, but it could manifest in the artifacts the character prefers, or in a preference for Elven political goals over human ones, If there is tension there. Maybe some light snobbery.

And/or seek revenge on the caster who charmed you.

EvilAnagram
2015-11-10, 11:15 AM
He feels violated and angry? Act violated and angry. How do you behave when you're angry? Do you lash out? Do you withdraw? Do you stew in it?

Enter that mindset. Be angry.

L Space
2015-11-10, 04:04 PM
He feels violated and angry? Act violated and angry. How do you behave when you're angry? Do you lash out? Do you withdraw? Do you stew in it?

Enter that mindset. Be angry.
This. You can even have it be triggered against people who try to influence you in some way. Browbeat someone when they try to make a Persuasion or Intimidate check against you. If a Charm-like effect is cast against you, throw a boosted spell back at them in retaliation. Your mind is not a plaything for others to influence and if they do then bring the full might of your arcane power down upon them.

KorvinStarmast
2015-11-10, 04:26 PM
Enter that mindset. Be angry.Because that will be so much fun for the rest of your party ...

M Placeholder
2015-11-10, 04:40 PM
And/or seek revenge on the caster who charmed you.

Careful going down that road. Will you try and methodically get revenge on him? Will you charm him instead and pay him back in kind?

And also bear in mind how it will affect the rest of the party. You might want revenge, but how far will the rest of the party go?

L Space
2015-11-10, 04:40 PM
Because that will be so much fun for the rest of your party ...

How would this be detrimental to the rest of the party? I feel a player having their character show real emotion is a major part of the roleplaying aspect of the game.

DizzyWood
2015-11-10, 05:13 PM
I should mention that the creature that did this is well out of reach. I doubt we will be seeing her again any time soon. It was a Lamia (sorry I am at work and can not check the spelling) we are lvl 5 and the DM called her a lvl 16ish encounter when I was talking to him about it after. So I am really trying to figure how I would react to day to day things. My character is rational with a bit of a temper and haughty as hell before this. I however do not want to go rude or be a burden to the party.

EvilAnagram
2015-11-10, 05:32 PM
Because that will be so much fun for the rest of your party ...

The only way it couldn't be fun is if you can't separate IC from OOC interaction. Acting out your character is part of the game.

EvilAnagram
2015-11-10, 05:35 PM
I should mention that the creature that did this is well out of reach. I doubt we will be seeing her again any time soon. It was a Lamia (sorry I am at work and can not check the spelling) we are lvl 5 and the DM called her a lvl 16ish encounter when I was talking to him about it after. So I am really trying to figure how I would react to day to day things. My character is rational with a bit of a temper and haughty as hell before this. I however do not want to go rude or be a burden to the party.

Don't be rude or mean to the party, but be angry. When I act, it helps if I can really step into a character, let it take over, you know? Feel the anger as genuinely as you can, and try to act normal. You'll develop ticks through your IC interaction just from that.

Tallis
2015-11-11, 02:48 AM
You already had a temper? Be ruthless and brutal when dealing with enemies. Especially ones that try to exert some kind of control over you or ones that remind you of the Lamia, but also strive to protect others that you see the same thing happening to. Don't let other people be controlled the way you were. Of course you don't want your temper to come out too much towards the party, they're still your allies but against a common foe or your anger comes out and you come down on them like the hammer of the gods!

Maybe you gain a particular empathy towards slaves. Trying to free them wherever you find them.