PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Battlefield Control Effects of a Spell

Barstro
2015-11-10, 10:39 AM
What effects/control exist for the following combinations by a level 10 Caster?

1) Lingering Fireball
2) Lingering, Rime, Elemental Ice Fireball.

I assume #1 is 10d6 for anyone damaged, 10d6 for anyone who enters an effected square while it still lingers, no visibility for anyone in the radius (unless other ability allows).

I think #2 is the same, except that anyone damaged by the spell is Entangled for three rounds. Does changing it from fire to cold get rid of the fire/smoke and allow vision?

Does someone moving within the lingering spell have to make saving throws beyond the first (once on that person's turn, only if moving, at all)?

Can the character even cast a Lingering/Rime Fireball through a rod that changes fire to ice (I see no reason why it couldn't).

Thanks

Psyren
2015-11-10, 11:02 AM
1) There is visibility between 0-20 ft actually, just with 20% concealment. So only those further away from the fireball than that (i.e. outside the blast radius entirely) would be unable to see what's going on inside.

2) This is a bit trickier as elemental spell doesn't technically change the descriptor. So you would have a [Fire] Fireball that happens to deal cold damage and Rime spell wouldn't actually be legal with it. Assuming your GM overlooks that flub, you would have a fireball that lingers for 1 round as before, and everyone who is in the area or enters the area and takes damage from it would get entangled for 3 rounds. (Neither Elemental Spell nor Rime Spell say anything about changing the visual aspect of the spell, so the "lingering coldball" would obscure vision just like a lingering fireball would.

3) No, if you're already in the area you are not subject to additional effects, even if you move around.

4) Metamagic rods work just like the feats so if your GM rules favorably on #2 then you're set.

Barstro
2015-11-10, 12:05 PM
1) There is visibility between 0-20 ft actually, just with 20% concealment. So only those further away from the fireball than that (i.e. outside the blast radius entirely) would be unable to see what's going on inside.

Even better.

Just to clarify visibility, then. Anyone outside of the blast can see 20 ft. into the blast (with 20% concealment). Likewise, anyone within 20 ft. of the edge of the blast can see outside with the same concealment?

2) This is a bit trickier as elemental spell doesn't technically change the descriptor. So you would have a [Fire] Fireball that happens to deal cold damage and Rime spell wouldn't actually be legal with it. Assuming your GM overlooks that flub, you would have a fireball that lingers for 1 round as before, and everyone who is in the area or enters the area and takes damage from it would get entangled for 3 rounds. (Neither Elemental Spell nor Rime Spell say anything about changing the visual aspect of the spell, so the "lingering coldball" would obscure vision just like a lingering fireball would.

3) No, if you're already in the area you are not subject to additional effects, even if you move around.

4) Metamagic rods work just like the feats so if your GM rules favorably on #2 then you're set.

2) Hmm. Nice lawyering. I'll have to look at it and run it by the DM.
EDIT: I looked at it. Given that the description very specifically says "This feat only affects spells with the cold descriptor", it will be a tough sell.

3) ok.

4) nice caveat.

Thanks.