PDA

View Full Version : Player Help No magic item min/max... warblade that uses no magic items need help maxing

Recurver
2015-11-10, 12:46 PM
need help making a no magic build viable. 3.5 materials only and magazines are ok
campaign takes place in mostly desert. and by the end we will be fighting a great worm blue dragon.
here's my guy so far
lvl4 human/Dragonborn went breath attack route so i can get quicken breath attack later(imediate action breath attack is good in my book):smallbiggrin:
lvl1 lion totem Barbarian for pounce
feat 1 power attack
feat 2 combat reflexes
feat 3 leap attack
getting improved sunder so i can get combat brute for momentum swing
currently planning on two handed crit build
lvl2-4 warblade
was allowed to keep my initiator level maxed for character level
manuvers are
stance: hunters sense (needed to help party)
level 1 manuevers known
moment of perfect mind
sapphire nightmare blade
leading the attack
level 2 manuevers known
emerald razor
mountain hammer
will be trading in sapphire nightmare blade for wall of blades ( gm likes night attacks when i have no armor on)

equipment:
2falchions one is baatorian green steel and other is fade steel for ghost touch property (mundane)
fullplate made for desert (masterwork)
gm gave me and only me access to the metals in planar metals 3.5 online page
i just can't have/afford dwarven blackrock
i'm a master weapon and armorsmith, maxed them both for the 1/3rd cost to make my gear.
proffesion smith and miner so i can dig up my materials.
need help keeping up with a player who spends weeks planning and min maxing his characters and isn't punished for multi classing into several different classes.
my character will make one exception to no magic lifestyle. and that is relics "it's made by a god... guess i could use that".

Grod_The_Giant
2015-11-10, 01:10 PM
A Warblade charger ought to be pretty good on offense, and save-replacement maneuvers and Iron Heart Surge should help shore up defenses. There are some things that'll really hurt, though. Flight is the biggest one- I'd either go with the Wings aspect or make room for the Dragon Wings feats. Your breath weapon won't hold a candle to your melee damage anyway.

SangoProduction
2015-11-10, 01:25 PM
Since you can't use magic items, go ahead and take vow of poverty if you've got 2 feat slots open.

BowStreetRunner
2015-11-10, 02:17 PM
...There are some things that'll really hurt, though. Flight is the biggest one- I'd either go with the Wings aspect or make room for the Dragon Wings feats. Your breath weapon won't hold a candle to your melee damage anyway.
I would second this. At high levels you are going to need a way to fly and without magic items the Wings aspect is your best option. The Dragon Wings feat will also cost you additional feats to make it equal to the Wings aspect. Your breath weapon, even as an immediate action, will be insignificant at high levels.

Since you can't use magic items, go ahead and take vow of poverty if you've got 2 feat slots open.
Don't do this. VoP restricts you from a lot more than just magic items. No masterwork items, no armor, no martial weapons - all things that you want.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-11-10, 02:21 PM
Oh, and you mentioned that relics are okay... How do you feel about the Ancestral Relic feat? One special, upgradeable item?

Darrin
2015-11-10, 02:44 PM
How much funds do you have available, and what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

First, consult with Shax (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101). A Type I Haversack is completely non-magical, so start there. You don't need everything, but a few eggshell grenades and chaos flasks is always good to have around.

After that... it sorta depends on how much cheese your DM can stand. Eggshell grenades, for example, are a ranged touch attack that blinds one opponent without a save. Chaos flasks give you access to any poison in the game, flux slime (AMF), diamond dust, etc. Aboleth mucus is a save-or-die for only pocket change. You can argue your character needs these items in order to stay relevant in combat, but after the first time you one-shot a boss fight that the DM was planning on spending an entire session on, he's likely to bring out the banhammer.

You'll also have to invest some resources into making these items viable. Getting out splash weapons or applying poisons requires actions, so you'll want to spend a feat on Quickdraw or Master of Poisons. You'll want to hash out with your DM if splash weapons or any liquid container can be used with Quickdraw or a Masterwork Potion Belt. If your DM bans these items later, then those feats/equipment may become useless. Availability may also be an issue... finding aboleth mucus in a desert environment is probably going to be impossible from the get-go.

The other problem with many of these items is they don't scale well. Megapede poison at 4th level is almost instant death for most creatures you're likely to encounter, but after ECL 15+ when it's easier for the DM to throw high-powered constructs and undead at you all day, it's either annoying or useless. If you want the character to still be viable at higher levels, then long-term you'll probably want to consider investing in grafts (not technically magic items) or picking up a cohort to handle the magic stuff.

Troacctid
2015-11-10, 03:00 PM
Without magical items, it may be worth using your money to gain favor with a faction, the rules for which are in Complete Champion, IIRC. Another good money sink would be a companion spirit from DMG2.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-11-10, 03:09 PM
First, consult with Shax (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101). A Type I Haversack is completely non-magical, so start there. You don't need everything, but a few eggshell grenades and chaos flasks is always good to have around.
Dude is a Warblade. He's not going to have any trouble with offense. Grafts aren't a bad idea, though.

Darrin
2015-11-10, 06:07 PM
Oh, I forgot... minor nitpick. Hunter's Sense requires one Tiger Claw maneuver as a prereq. So you have to grab Wolf Fang Strike first.

Hmm. I'll have to put some thought into using Shax stuff for defensive purposes. Tarmak War Paint (500 GP, Dragonlance Campaign Setting) might be worth it... Shax has it under Honorable Mentions. You can craft your own with a DC 25 Craft (Alchemy) check. Altough by RAW you need to be a spellcaster to make alchemical stuff, that's one of the stupidest rules in 3.5 and most people just ignore it.

Recurver
2015-11-12, 11:42 AM
I would second this. At high levels you are going to need a way to fly and without magic items the Wings aspect is your best option. The Dragon Wings feat will also cost you additional feats to make it equal to the Wings aspect. Your breath weapon, even as an immediate action, will be insignificant at high levels.

sadly in retrospect i agree whole heartedly. unfortunately the campaign has already started and i doubt the gm will let me change it to flying.
is there maybe a draconic feat to "grow" wings?
the only other solution that comes to mind is to get a flying mount.
my current funds are 600 gold and 500 platinum.
the mount will help with my weight problem (no bag of holding)
i have a really good handle animal to boot. in the interum while i can't afford a pegasus i can afford a trained dire boar to carry my stuff and help fight. thoughts on riding feats?

Recurver
2015-11-12, 11:46 AM
Oh, I forgot... minor nitpick. Hunter's Sense requires one Tiger Claw maneuver as a prereq. So you have to grab Wolf Fang Strike first.

Hmm. I'll have to put some thought into using Shax stuff for defensive purposes. Tarmak War Paint (500 GP, Dragonlance Campaign Setting) might be worth it... Shax has it under Honorable Mentions. You can craft your own with a DC 25 Craft (Alchemy) check. Altough by RAW you need to be a spellcaster to make alchemical stuff, that's one of the stupidest rules in 3.5 and most people just ignore it.

my gm thought it was odd for a level one stance to require a maneuver so he let me get it without prereq. we have an alchemist in the group and she's already working on a bunch of stuff. oh and i got a lot of stuff already from shax site. (it's a usefull site):smallbiggrin: keepem coming. i like all the suggestions so far.

Recurver
2015-11-12, 11:52 AM
How much funds do you have available, and what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

First,. A Type I Haversack is completely non-magical, so start there. You don't need everything, but a few eggshell grenades and chaos flasks is always good to have around.

After that... it sorta depends on how much cheese your DM can stand. Eggshell grenades, for example, are a ranged touch attack that blinds one opponent without a save. Chaos flasks give you access to any poison in the game, flux slime (AMF), diamond dust, etc. Aboleth mucus is a save-or-die for only pocket change. You can argue your character needs these items in order to stay relevant in combat, but after the first time you one-shot a boss fight that the DM was planning on spending an entire session on, he's likely to bring out the banhammer.

You'll also have to invest some resources into making these items viable. Getting out splash weapons or applying poisons requires actions, so you'll want to spend a feat on Quickdraw or Master of Poisons. You'll want to hash out with your DM if splash weapons or any liquid container can be used with Quickdraw or a Masterwork Potion Belt. If your DM bans these items later, then those feats/equipment may become useless. Availability may also be an issue... finding aboleth mucus in a desert environment is probably going to be impossible from the get-go.

The other problem with many of these items is they don't scale well. Megapede poison at 4th level is almost instant death for most creatures you're likely to encounter, but after ECL 15+ when it's easier for the DM to throw high-powered constructs and undead at you all day, it's either annoying or useless. If you want the character to still be viable at higher levels, then long-term you'll probably want to consider investing in grafts (not technically magic items) or picking up a cohort to handle the magic stuff.
got 600 gold and 500 platinum for funds
going to be buying/training an animal companion. was thinking a dirt cheap camel for carrying my stuff. or maybe a trained dire boar if i can get one. dire boar would be able to defend itself while outside dungeon i'm exploring.
ultimate goal is to be a mega badass dragon slayer by the end.:smallbiggrin:

Seward
2015-11-12, 12:04 PM
I hate to say it, but in a no magic-item universe, a full caster of any type will reign supreme, and will be an essential part of any D&D party, just to provide buffs to deal with ordinary challenges.

Without potions of fly or powerful ranged weapons (a nonmagic composite bow won't get the job done), the spellcaster has to prep fly or air walk or be able to solo the encounter.

Every encounter with a melee monster past level 6 will be insanely dangerous, because fullplate+shield is no longer enough by itself. So either you have lots of battlefield control spells to keep the brutes off or you buff your melees with defensive spells to make up for the items they don't have. Also everybody will have abysmal saving throws (no stat boost or +resistance items), so enemies with save/xxx effects will be far more dangerous than usual.

My ideal party for such a universe would be Druid (with animal companion), Wizard, Cleric and Bard (because bards in support role do a lot to mitigate the lack of BAB in the party). Sorcerer/Favored Soul could swap for wizard/cleric if spells are chosen with care.

That said there are a few ways to get flight on a melee, which can help (dragon disciple and feats mentioned above. A mount that is not an animal companion will get shot out from under you trivially against most enemies.). Flight is probably the biggest issue, followed by raw AC (there will be no heavy infantry, only light infantry. If you're comfortable with the light infantry playstyle you'll probably be ok).

Recurver
2015-11-13, 12:24 PM
I hate to say it, but in a no magic-item universe, a full caster of any type will reign supreme, and will be an essential part of any D&D party, just to provide buffs to deal with ordinary challenges.

Without potions of fly or powerful ranged weapons (a nonmagic composite bow won't get the job done), the spellcaster has to prep fly or air walk or be able to solo the encounter.

Every encounter with a melee monster past level 6 will be insanely dangerous, because fullplate+shield is no longer enough by itself. So either you have lots of battlefield control spells to keep the brutes off or you buff your melees with defensive spells to make up for the items they don't have. Also everybody will have abysmal saving throws (no stat boost or +resistance items), so enemies with save/xxx effects will be far more dangerous than usual.

My ideal party for such a universe would be Druid (with animal companion), Wizard, Cleric and Bard (because bards in support role do a lot to mitigate the lack of BAB in the party). Sorcerer/Favored Soul could swap for wizard/cleric if spells are chosen with care.

That said there are a few ways to get flight on a melee, which can help (dragon disciple and feats mentioned above. A mount that is not an animal companion will get shot out from under you trivially against most enemies.). Flight is probably the biggest issue, followed by raw AC (there will be no heavy infantry, only light infantry. If you're comfortable with the light infantry playstyle you'll probably be ok).
thanks for all the wonderful responses. i should have mentioned that my party has a monk, a cleric, and a sorcerror sandshaper. we start every campaign with a character quirk we get from a random chart made by the gm. we also roll to see how hardcore we stick to that quirk. i rolled fear/hatred of magic items. and rolled a 100 on percentiles to see how diligently i follow the quirk. 100 means my character is supposed to prefer death to using magic items. magic items still exist. i just can't use them:smallannoyed::smallfrown:

BowStreetRunner
2015-11-13, 01:00 PM
...we start every campaign with a character quirk we get from a random chart made by the gm. we also roll to see how hardcore we stick to that quirk. i rolled fear/hatred of magic items. and rolled a 100 on percentiles to see how diligently i follow the quirk. 100 means my character is supposed to prefer death to using magic items...
That is not a 'quirk'. That is an outright major flaw.

SangoProduction
2015-11-13, 01:02 PM
That's kinda ridiculous. "You are afraid of a central mechanic of not just your class, but the entire world"? I mean full casters could easily get away with completely mundane gear and be just as powerful but anyone else? They are kinda screwed. The light-casting classes like Bard might have a chance, but still.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-11-13, 02:43 PM
thanks for all the wonderful responses. i should have mentioned that my party has a monk, a cleric, and a sorcerror sandshaper. we start every campaign with a character quirk we get from a random chart made by the gm. we also roll to see how hardcore we stick to that quirk. i rolled fear/hatred of magic items. and rolled a 100 on percentiles to see how diligently i follow the quirk. 100 means my character is supposed to prefer death to using magic items. magic items still exist. i just can't use them:smallannoyed::smallfrown:
That's incredibly rough, verging on crippling. Can you reroll, or at least get some consolation LA on the basis of "your random chart just half-crippled me?" No magic items might be survivable, but if everyone else in the party has such a huge leg up on you...

Ruethgar
2015-11-13, 03:04 PM
Ravenloft Create Device is official content and non magical. Just have to get a scientist to install the battery on your items and you have all the magic of everyone else without the magic.

Urpriest
2015-11-13, 03:07 PM

If that's all, you just have to be delusional, and convince yourself that all of your magic items are perfectly mundane.

SangoProduction
2015-11-13, 03:33 PM
Yeah. The feedback from something like that was somewhat predictable. I'm kinda glad because I thought I sounded kinda mean. But yeah, that's like comparable to rolling all 3s on your stats at level 1, and all 0s at higher ones. Except, maybe if you are a wizard, but still an incredible blow.

Choosing to play a character like that is one thing, but being locked in to it by random rolls seems kinda like BS.

nedz
2015-11-14, 12:55 PM

What did the other PCs get ?

Consider retiring your character and making a new one — possibly identical in every other way.

A melle character without magic items is not viable beyond about level 6.

torrasque666
2015-11-14, 01:06 PM
What did the other PCs get ?

Consider retiring your character and making a new one — possibly identical in every other way.
Don't do this. This is bad form. Its essentially saying "I don't want to play by the rules of this campaign, so I'm just gonna keep rerolling the same guy until I get what I want/dislike the least." If you feel you must reroll a new character, throw in some variation or go for a different concept, but at least wait a while before bringing in the guy's identical twin.

nedz
2015-11-14, 01:09 PM
Don't do this. This is bad form. Its essentially saying "I don't want to play by the rules of this campaign, so I'm just gonna keep rerolling the same guy until I get what I want/dislike the least." If you feel you must reroll a new character, throw in some variation or go for a different concept, but at least wait a while before bringing in the guy's identical twin.

A complete character nerf is not a random quirk — I am curious what the other results of the table were.

torrasque666
2015-11-14, 01:16 PM
A complete character nerf is not a random quirk — I am curious what the other results of the table were.
I didn't say it was. What I did say was that just rerolling the exact same character because that version got hit with a nerf bat is bad form. It actively spits in the face of the rules of the game (albeit houserules, but rules need to be respected regardless) and throws a fit.

In any case, he said he could use [Relic]s, since they are a thing of divine make (as in, of the gods, rather than being made by a divine caster) so it just involves trawling through the books until he finds the necessary [Relic]s to make his build feasible. Depending on his alignment, its not hard to find a decent weapon among the various [Relic]s, as they only require the proper worship to use the relic powers, but most have at least something going for them with only the proper alignment.

nedz
2015-11-14, 02:02 PM
I didn't say it was. What I did say was that just rerolling the exact same character because that version got hit with a nerf bat is bad form. It actively spits in the face of the rules of the game (albeit houserules, but rules need to be respected regardless) and throws a fit.

I hear what you are saying, but the player wanted to play a certain type of character only for it to be hit with a giant random nerf bat making it unplayable and for no good reason.

noob
2015-11-14, 02:14 PM
Maybe take a dip in cleric and have DMM and remember the best boosts are in the four first spell levels
For fourth level spell access you might use versatile spell caster since your priest can cast heal spell spontaneously and that the only restriction to take the feat is the ability to cast spontaneously spells.
then "You can use two spell slots of the same level to cast a spell you know that is one level higher. For example, a sorcerer with this feat can expend two 2nd-level spell slots to cast any 3rd-level spell he knows."
And so you need only five levels in priest(you take only one and chain on prcs progressing spell-casting for no multi-classing penalty) for having access to fourth level spells and DMM persist some of them.
You also get two bonus domains.
The dmm persisted spells help to fill the lack of magic items.(but sadly without items it is very hard to obtain many return attempts but I believe you can with a cleric variant and prcs have something like two or three times your charisma+6 or 9 attempts of repulsion)
Alternatively use bard because it is just awesome with the right tea ceremony and there is MMM persist also if you want.

ericgrau
2015-11-14, 03:38 PM
Don't do this. VoP restricts you from a lot more than just magic items. No masterwork items, no armor, no martial weapons - all things that you want.
Ok, but how bad do you want them? There are ways to get armorless AC and to kill things with simple weapons. I don't see slightly less damage and AC outweighing the VoP benefits. Unless there are other items that I'm missing?

noob
2015-11-14, 04:50 PM
He will miss relics and some of them are cool.

Rubik
2015-11-14, 06:33 PM
I say just wear magic items anyway and power through your "dislike."

Just RP it. "I'm obviously not going to succeed if I don't use these...things, and I want to reach my goals more than life itself. What must be must be."

torrasque666
2015-11-14, 09:12 PM
He will miss relics and some of them are cool.

First post, and as I've kept repeating, he said he can use relics.

ericgrau
2015-11-15, 12:48 AM
First post, and as I've kept repeating, he said he can use relics.
I think the no relics thing was referring to my VoP question.

Urpriest
2015-11-15, 09:40 AM

Just RP it. "I'm obviously not going to succeed if I don't use these...things, and I want to reach my goals more than life itself. What must be must be."

That doesn't really fit the implied sense of humor of the campaign, though. If they're rolling on a table like that for personality quirks, chances are they aren't fans of engaging RP: rather, they want characters that create silly situations.

That's why I suggested being in denial about magic item use: it fits the tone of the setting much better, and still allows the OP to use magic items.

torrasque666
2015-11-15, 09:49 AM
Ravenloft Create Device is official content and non magical. Just have to get a scientist to install the battery on your items and you have all the magic of everyone else without the magic.
Its official content like the Dragonlance or Dragon Magazine stuff though. Licensed, but not published by WoTC.

In any case, this would also be an interesting take. "Bah, you fools and your magic. I manage to do the same through SCIENCE!"

Recurver
2015-11-18, 06:48 AM
the cleric in our group got "ignorant of the world" and a roll of 78% on how ignorant.
the monk in our group got "alcoholic" but rolled 35% so he's actually just going to use it to go into drunken master.
the sorcerer got "easy going" and a 65% (basically perpetually stoned by his own dragon blood)
the solution to the cleric's flaw is to simply teach her and give books.
the solution for the monk is unnecessary because he's going drunken master.
solution for sorcerer is coffee.
my friends have all decided to dump several points in bluff and i have intentionally avoided putting points into sense motive so as to allow them to trick me into wearing "tokens of our thanks" that they give me.
I mean i do buy them a lot of stuff. "didn't know magic was so expensive, here's an extra 5k."

I will NEVER re-roll a character. I am honor bound to defeat my GM's world no matter what is thrown at me.
and mercifully he has allowed me to change my dragonborn ability to wings. Thanks for all the suggestions, you people rock.:smallbiggrin:

nedz
2015-11-18, 07:08 AM
OK, so what you actually need is an IC solution to this. Seeing as everyone else has viewed this as a problem to be solved rather than something to be role played to the hilt.

You could go for the A-Team aeroplane approach where the rest of the party get you to use magic items even though you are afraid of them.

Or maybe you just don't realise that this superb weapon is magical — you don't have detect magic after all.

How to explain flying though ?

Rubik
2015-11-18, 07:13 AM
OK, so what you actually need is an IC solution to this. Seeing as everyone else has viewed this as a problem to be solved rather than something to be role played to the hilt.

You could go for the A-Team aeroplane approach where the rest of the party get you to use magic items even though you are afraid of them.

Or maybe you just don't realise that this superb weapon is magical — you don't have detect magic after all.

How to explain flying though ?Read the post directly before yours.

He's basically doing exactly what you suggested. Also, dragonborn wings.

Also, Recurver: humans lose everything useful by becoming dragonborn. Consider becoming a warforged, instead? They only lose their slam attack and armor plating.

Recurver
2015-11-18, 07:19 AM

i'm morally opposed to doing this. that being said. my GM has said that the first fight we get into where my teammates come out unscathed and i'm all but dead, that he will allow my character to "reconsider" his stance on magic items.
the main reason for the quest to kill the dragon is because she killed my characters only son (in an in game event to boot). we all kind of agreed that a parent would die for there child, and so stands to reason that if my character sees that he won't get vengeance for his sons death without magic items he'll begrudgingly allow SOME magic items. aka "can't kill the dragon if i die on the way"
But i really want to avoid that situation. my ULTIMATE goal is to successfully navigate this entire campaign (that started at lvl 2) without a single magic item. I am fairly certain that if i manage to do that then the character will become a "legendary" character in our shared campaign worlds. a person spoken of and referenced in all other campaigns and even rarely sighted or contacted.
My plan is to use a dwarven black rock Falchion to "one hit" the dragon with no magic
battle plan for dragon:
charge using pounce and leap attack to get an attack then a full attack (by this point i'll have a crit multiplier of 6)
and if the dragon isn't dead after that then i use "overhead thrust" on it's turn which will give me a plus 16 to hit it and multiply damage by 3. if that attack crits (which it should) i will do x9 damage.
every hit i land should do a minimum of 350 damage thanks to power attack and crit multiplier.
i will laugh so hard if i kill the "mega boss" in one turn with no magic items. MWUAHAHAHAHAHA!:smallamused:

Andezzar
2015-11-18, 07:23 AM
That is if the dragon lets you get close. SOP for dragons in the open is strafing run with spells and breath weapon. Not much the little fighter can do.

Rubik
2015-11-18, 07:25 AM
It's ironic because that magic your character hates so much could bring back his son in three seconds flat.

Recurver
2015-11-18, 07:26 AM
Read the post directly before yours.

He's basically doing exactly what you suggested. Also, dragonborn wings.

Also, Recurver: humans lose everything useful by becoming dragonborn. Consider becoming a warforged, instead? They only lose their slam attack and armor plating.
My GM is running dragonborn a little different then they are supposed to be. he's keeping all the bonuses of being human and all the bonuses of being dragon born. aka extra lvl1 feat and skill points at every level. the best of both worlds.

Recurver
2015-11-18, 07:41 AM
It's ironic because that magic your character hates so much could bring back his son in three seconds flat.
as someone who has played a cleric and an ARTIFICER it pains me to play this character at times, However, it is very refreshing to play this brute of a man. as for resurrection... anyone killed by this dragon can never come back to life. (GM call):smallannoyed: Not really worried about the dragon flying too much during the big fight because she lives in a large castle and is the ruler of the local area (rules by fear and taxes to the point of poverty we started at lvl 2 with only 80 gold). we will most likely be fighting her indoors.

Recurver
2015-11-18, 07:56 AM
Its official content like the Dragonlance or Dragon Magazine stuff though. Licensed, but not published by WoTC.

In any case, this would also be an interesting take. "Bah, you fools and your magic. I manage to do the same through SCIENCE!"
i really REALLY like this idea for a character. just not this one. think a young hubert farnsworth. lol

Darrin
2015-11-18, 10:18 AM
my friends have all decided to dump several points in bluff and i have intentionally avoided putting points into sense motive so as to allow them to trick me into wearing "tokens of our thanks" that they give me.

This is a lovely idea. Not an ideal solution, but at least an interesting one.

The Dragonborn wings solves one of the big "MUST HAVES (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items)".

Looking at the rest of the list...

Mind Blank: Very difficult to cover this without magic. Moment of Perfect Mind may help. The Planar Ward soulmeld (Magic of Incarnum) gives you immunity to charms and compulsions, but I'm not sure if manipulating "soul stuff" would count the same as using a magic item. Willing Deformity + Deformity: Madness (Elder Evils) gives you immunity to mind-affecting spells/abilities. Mask of Gentility feat (Exemplars of Evil) hides your true alignment from divination spells, but doesn't do much more than that.

Stun Negation: Ask your DM if Iron Heart Surge (IHS) will help here... by RAW, it doesn't, which is dumb because you'd think that was one of the conditions it was designed to counter. But given how poorly IHS is worded, some DMs will tweak or rewrite it so it works more intuitively. If not, then there's the Quick Recovery feat from Lords of Madness, which allows a save against stun and dazed. Pairs up nicely with Moment of Perfect Mind. There's also the Wakeful Mind graft in Faiths of Eberron.

Daze Negation: Same as above. Quick Recovery works, IHS probably should but doesn't by RAW. Wakeful Mind won't work... there are very few counters for daze.

Fear Immunity: IHS usually works here, but not all fear effects have a duration expressed in rounds. For blanket immunity via class feature, Paladin 3/Prestige Paladin 3 will get you Aura of Courage, but it comes with the baggage of being a paladin. There are a variety of PrCs that offer immunity to Frightful Presence, but not necessarily all fear effects. There are a few feats, but most of them are Regional feats from Forgotten Realms: Fearless, Blooded, and Bullheaded (PGtF). There is another feat you can use for blanket immunity, but it requires 8 ranks in Knowledge (the Planes). The Planar Touchstone (Planar Handbook) or Touchstone (Sandstorm) feat can be linked to the Catalogues of Enlightenment, where you can pick up the Dream domain power for immunity to fear. If feats/PrCs aren't an option, the Bolstering Voice stance (White Raven 1) can help with saves against fear.

True Seeing: This one covers a lot of different situations, and there's no easy non-magical solution that covers them all. For dealing with invisible creatures, make sure you have plenty of flour pouches (Dungeonscape) and/or Torchbug Paste (Complete Scoundrel). Also, pump up your Listen check, since it's usually easier to pinpoint via Listen than Spot. For illusions... you're kinda stuck with hitting it with something sharp/heavy and Moment of Perfect Mind. Finding traps/secret doors, that's more of a "NOT MY JOB" kinda thing. There are a few items in Shax that can help with some of the skill checks (focusing candle, inquisitive's kit, or mordrei'in, for example), but you may have to just take your lumps on this one.

Miss Chance: There are some alchemical items you can use, such as smokesticks, liquid smoke (Oriental Adventures), and stinkpots (Stormwrack), but they are going to be difficult to use. Not only do you need to devote actions to light them and throw them, you'll also need to invest in counters to negate their effects on you. IHS burns up a standard action. Breathing hoods and auran masks have to be taken out of storage and put on. The easiest to use is liquid smoke, as you can throw it as a grenade-like weapon and it ignites itself when exposed to air. Ask your DM if you can wear it on your masterwork potion belt, allowing you to draw it as a free action. It creates a 10' cube of smoke, so if you throw it down on one of the corners of your square behind you, you'll be standing inside the smoke for 20% concealment but will not have any smoke blocking your line of sight in front of you. If an opponent steps into the smoke to get concealment, splash them with torch bug paste (Complete Scoundrel). If you prefer fog, there is a fog rock in Magic of Faerun (p. 181) that produces fog when dropped into fresh water, but it's not clear to me how the duration works or how often it can be used.

Tactical Teleportation: Martial Study: Shadow Jaunt or will probably cover this, but you may have to address how your character views "magical" maneuvers.

Death Effects/Negative Energy/Energy Drain: IHS might be able to negate some effects with a specific duration. There's also a soulmeld (Pauldrons of Health) that negates energy drain, but you have to bind it to your shoulder chakra. Other than that... maybe keep a cleric handy and donate regularly to his temple?

Freedom of Movement: This one's going to hurt, due to the large number of nasty situations this can get you out of. But if we just consider a couple situations, such as entanglement or grapples, then there are some nonmagical options that can help. Slippery oil (Dragon Compendium), spelunker's kit (Underdark) and spelunker's oil (DotU) can help with Escape Artist checks. Netcutter spikes (Races of the Wild) can be added to armor to help deal with nets and gives you something like constrict damage if you stay in the grapple. For submersion, swimmer's kit (A&EG) and auran mask (Complete Mage) can help with the not drowning part.

Extradimensional Storage: 8 GP for a mule or donkey, 4 GP for saddlebags. Masterwork potion belt for potions/splash weapons.

Dispel Magic: IHS will work for certain effects. Chaos flask (Planar Handbook) can be converted into flux slime (ELH p. 107) to produce an anti-magic field or disjunction effect.

Initiative: Improved Initiative is a Warblade bonus feat. Blooded or Thug feat (Regional, PGtF). A few other feats with some bonuses here and there, but most of them are racial. Fire elemental grafts from Magic of Eberron can stack up to a decent initiative bonus, maybe the flexible spine graft from Lords of Madness, but I have trouble imagining any sane creature agreeing to replace their spine.

Special Senses: Hunter's Sense and Hearing the Air are available to Warblades. Assuming you can find some kind of non-magical telepathy (Fell Conspiracy from Exemplars of Evil might work), then Mindsight (Lords of Madness) is certainly quite useful. Scorpion's Sense in Sandstorm gives you something like tremorsense. Soulsight feat in Magic of Incarnum is similar to blindsense. Willing Deformity + Deformity: Tongue (Heroes of Horror) gives you blindsense 30'.

Andezzar
2015-11-18, 10:28 AM
i really REALLY like this idea for a character. just not this one. think a young hubert farnsworth. lolAs an opening shot, prove to the dragon that he cannot fly.

As your one magic item maybe get something that projects an AMF, preferably one that is larger than the spell's area.

Anthrowhale
2015-11-18, 10:59 AM
Troll-blooded (feat) gives you regeneration. Gheden (template) makes you immune to lots of stuff, including nonlethal. The combination of the two gives classic immunity to damage from all but acid and fire. This might seem overpowered, but you are still weaker than a fighter with magic items because you are much more vulnerable to nonstandard attacks.

Font of Life (feat) gives a save vs. energy drain.

Dragonslayer (class) is a particularly appropriate class which happens to give immunity to fear at level 1.

There are several good cleric domain abilities that can be picked up via Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment) (feat).

Your saves will generally suck without magic. There are a few approaches available.

Look at the X to Y page and figure out how to use your best stats to power saves.
A melee character can freely take many levels of different base classes with +1 to attack. The +2 bonus for good stats at first level can add up fairly quickly.

Andezzar
2015-11-18, 12:09 PM
Troll-blooded (feat) gives you regeneration. Gheden (template) makes you immune to lots of stuff, including nonlethal. The combination of the two gives classic immunity to damage from all but acid and fire. This might seem overpowered, but you are still weaker than a fighter with magic items because you are much more vulnerable to nonstandard attacks.
Wasn't there also a way to get the cold and fire subtype on a regenerating character to become immune to all damage?

Anthrowhale
2015-11-18, 12:22 PM
Wasn't there also a way to get the cold and fire subtype on a regenerating character to become immune to all damage?

The easiest ways I know are:

Mantle of the Fiery Spirit (spell) grants the fire subtype.
A major Djinn bloodline grants immunity to Acid.

There are a few ways to pierce immunities (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?454486-Piercing-Immunities), but they at least make the bad guys work.

Rubik
2015-11-18, 04:04 PM
Wasn't there also a way to get the cold and fire subtype on a regenerating character to become immune to all damage?IIRC, levels in the pugilist fighter ACF from Dragon Magazine force all incoming damage to become nonlethal. Become immune to nonlethal, and...