PDA

View Full Version : Fellow PC's attempting to resurrect me as something ridiculous.

arceusplayer11
2015-11-10, 12:54 PM
So, me and some friends are currently doing thrice-weekly d&d games, on what I believe is a modified but mostly true to the original 3.5 version. No book or anything. I'm kinda new to this, as we tried this for the first time last year and I left due to my teammates trying to kill me and make sure I never get resurrected as anything but a horse named "Shenaynay".

I'm playing a chaotic evil elven sorcerer, with a big range of sorcerer spells: Resistance, Detect Poison, Read Magic, Dancing Lights, Light Ray of Frost, Mage Hand, Mending, Detect Magic, Grease, Burning Hands, Color Srpay (sic), Enlarge Person, Reduce Person, Fog Cloud, Darkness, Gust of Wind, Mirror Image, Lightning Bolt, Fly, Slow, Polymorph, and Baleful Polymorph (the former DM chose them). I ended up getting 2 teammates killed, the first being a bard who I tempted into worshiping an inappropriate body part of John Cena and got blasted by his god, and the second committing honorable suicide after I polymorphed him into a lizard in self defense because he tried to smite me (he's a paladin). I also polymorphed the corpse of another dead teammate (not killed by me) into a kitten.

Anyways, we got a little farther, with the two people I killed being revived by the new DM, and randomly, our half-dragon PC breathes fire on me and gets a perfect 20. His friend (the former DM) then teleports my ashes into hell, where I begin receiving training from Satan, which would make me almost godlike when I got revived should I finish said training. The others then revealed their plan to resurrect me before I received said training. However...

They are attempting to resurrect as a robotic teletubby that doesn't know any spells and might possibly be immortal. And knowing them, they will go through with it. (facepalm)

How do I prevent them from doing this, and is there any way I can resurrect myself? Also, yeah, I know that it's very likely not vanilla 3.5e, but it's still mostly based on it.

JeenLeen
2015-11-10, 01:00 PM
I'm pretty sure there's no way, in D&D 3.5, for a dead person to resurrect themselves. Well, I suppose there's one Prestige Class for saints that come back from the dead, but your character, as CE, doesn't qualify.
I suppose you could try convincing your trainer to resurrect you, or transform you into a demon/devil. Also, by D&D rules, someone being revived can refuse the resurrection, but by the rules I think you only know the alignment of the person who is reviving you and... maybe something else... but regardless I don't think you would have the in-character knowledge to know you wouldn't want to be revived as that thing they plan to turn you into.

Are all the players happy with this level of PvP and power disparity? Would your training while dead still carry over to some degree once revived, even if not as a spellcaster?
Probably the best thing is to talk to the players and DM and let them know you'd rather this not happen and decide out-of-character on a resolution to be done in-character.

arceusplayer11
2015-11-10, 01:08 PM
Refuse a ressurection, eh? Considering how this training will make me half demon, will that potentially let me cross the barrier between hell and life?

OoC is a no go. They all think it's too humorous to give up.

SangoProduction
2015-11-10, 01:23 PM
Well, that's as dysfunctional as can be, but to each his own.

As for the information on what they are trying to do, I'm quite sure that it's not explicitly stated. So, it would be up to the DM just how specific the information that you get is. But if this is the same group as the one that had the paladin who tried to smite you, and the dragonborn who killed you, and the guy who teleported you to hell...well, I could think of more than a few reasons why the character would *at least* be skeptical about being rezed by them.

arceusplayer11
2015-11-10, 01:29 PM
Well, that's as dysfunctional as can be, but to each his own.

As for the information on what they are trying to do, I'm quite sure that it's not explicitly stated. So, it would be up to the DM just how specific the information that you get is. But if this is the same group as the one that had the paladin who tried to smite you, and the dragonborn who killed you, and the guy who teleported you to hell...well, I could think of more than a few reasons why the character would *at least* be skeptical about being rezed by them.

Yeah, Vitcus was on his guard before he died. I can see him refusing in order to stay in hell to train.

Only problem with becoming a half-demon is that the entire quest is to obtain the 12 shards of a dragon staff for our necromancer DM, which grants him control of dragons, and by extension, demons. I can probably just poly myself to full elven form to avoid this though.

SangoProduction
2015-11-10, 01:33 PM
Then Satan would probably have a vested interest in getting you on the quest then, unless devils are left out of the whole control thing...but losing an army of demons is not exactly preferable. You could probably get him to cast Planar Shift or some such (likely not for free, but being valuable, you could likely cut a better deal than most).

paranoidbox
2015-11-10, 02:03 PM
I don't understand anything that happened and how it happened in your game, so I'm just wondering... is this memes?

arceusplayer11
2015-11-10, 02:06 PM
I don't understand anything that happened and how it happened in your game, so I'm just wondering... is this memes?

No, this is not memes. My former DM just had a wild imagination, and the new one continued it due to popular request.

Eldaran
2015-11-10, 03:19 PM
Little of what you said sounds at all like d&d to me. How are they resurrecting you in a different body? How are you polymorphing corpses? What does a natural 20 have to do with a breath weapon? There's not even an attack roll for it. How are you getting teleported across planes?

Are you concerned about actually playing the game as it's written, or are you just having wacky hijinks with no regard for the rules? If you just want to do random stuff involving Teletubbies and John Cena, think of something even more ridiculous to get your DM to let you win the game.

noob
2015-11-10, 03:30 PM
Little of what you said sounds at all like d&d to me. How are they resurrecting you in a different body? How are you polymorphing corpses? What does a natural 20 have to do with a breath weapon?
There is a variant rule where the caster roll his spell and where the save is fixed instead of the reverse and then poly-morphing a corpse is possible with poly-morph anything(something of this kind who can target corpses)

Then no rule says that you can not wish yourself back to life since they do not say you can not target yourself(in addition it is one normal use of wish and not one "greater stupider suicide option")
Else get a scroll of true resurrection and read it yourself on yourself since the spell never says you can not target yourself.
Before getting it refuse all the Resurrection attempts and the allies angry of spending their gold will stop trying.

Hand_of_Vecna
2015-11-10, 03:56 PM
Sorry, but it sounds like despite your feelings to the contrary your group is closer to what we sometimes call magical tea time* that 3.5 D&D. I doubt any in-game solution will prevail over "funny" and "just cause".

*A game where unwritten and ad hoc rules are the norm and the current consensus is the highest authority.

noob
2015-11-10, 04:29 PM
Sorry, but it sounds like despite your feelings to the contrary your group is closer to what we sometimes call magical tea time* that 3.5 D&D. I doubt any in-game solution will prevail over "funny" and "just cause".

*A game where unwritten and ad hoc rules are the norm and the current consensus is the highest authority.

Well I already through that no matter how weird was ideas the rules of dnd were weirder.

Troacctid
2015-11-10, 05:28 PM
Trouble is the rules don't seem to have any meaningful authority in your game, so it's not like you can open up your book, point to a rule, and say "See? It says you can't do that."

For example, according to the rules, you can refuse to be resurrected. But if the DM says "No, this version of the spell totally still works," then oh well, it sucks to be you, I guess?

Honest Tiefling
2015-11-10, 07:05 PM
Trouble is the rules don't seem to have any meaningful authority in your game, so it's not like you can open up your book, point to a rule, and say "See? It says you can't do that."

For example, according to the rules, you can refuse to be resurrected. But if the DM says "No, this version of the spell totally still works," then oh well, it sucks to be you, I guess?

I have to agree with this, as...Odd as this situation might be. Even if the idea that hell(or the abyss, or whatever it is in your setting) rarely lets souls go, if the DM says it happens, it happens. Don't like it? Stop trying to murder your teammates, form a cohesive party from the get-go, agree to rules of behavior or leave the group. Other then that, I don't think there's much you can do.

Platymus Pus
2015-11-11, 06:01 AM
They are thinking of the spell reincarnation.
You also refuse that.
Them being able to actually reincarnation you exactly what they want however... shouldn't be that possible.

Grek
2015-11-11, 06:19 AM
Strictly speaking, unconscious creatures count as willing. So if they REALLY want to reincarnate you, all they have to do is track your soul down in the outer planes and render it unconscious through some method so that you count as "willing" despite your strenuous objection to being transformed into a teletubby. Sorry, you're basically doomed.

Ger. Bessa
2015-11-11, 12:14 PM
My advice would be to name your familiar shewhip.

Should you be resurected, you could then say "So what ?"

So what ? Shewhip.
So what ? Shenaynay.

Me==>[]

Urpriest
2015-11-11, 05:40 PM
OoC is a no go. They all think it's too humorous to give up.

Then your OoC goal is to convince them it isn't humorous. This shouldn't be too hard, since it isn't actually funny, just juvenile.

arkangel111
2015-11-11, 07:50 PM
I'm sorry but I will just say it plainly. You're not playing dnd so there is no help a hardcore dnd forum can give you to help with your situation. while some of what you say sounds like it could be a fun night it is in no way dnd, maybe loosely based, and by loose I mean tossing a hotdog down a hallway type loose. This forum could help you should you ever decide to really play, but short of that there isn't anything that can be done for you.

Want an optimized character? We can point you the way and help you customize it to the flavor you wish.
Need a Magical custom Item? We got those in bulk.
Want tips or tricks to make dnd fun or more challenging? I'm sure we could manage to dig something up.
Have an odd question/combo you think might work? Post it and we'll confirm it or blow it up for you.
Need a RAW/RAI answer? we have rules lawyers aplenty and we could even give you help on the consensus for the most likely RAI translation.
Need to fix a class that WotC messed up or perhaps a hombrew fix you want looked at? We can easily help with that.
Playing a game with no rules? Sorry, nothing for you. but your welcome to share your experiences here, just don't expect too much "help".

good luck with your game.

*hopefully nothing comes across too harsh just letting you know what to expect from these boards

Templarkommando
2015-11-11, 08:14 PM
There are a couple of possibilities, and these are listed in no particular order of effectiveness.

1.) Rules as written is that you can refuse a rez. Have all the places that this is stated marked for easy reference. Be prepared for your DM to overrule it by merit of the rule of funny.

2.) Roll with it, and play a robotic teletubby on a mission to get his evil powers back.

3.) As soon as your party rezzes you as a robotic teletubby, commit suicide. Have another character pre-rolled so that you may continue playing. Even if your party continually rezzes you, there is no limit to the number of times that you can kill yourself.

4.) Try to escape from hell so that you can exact your revenge. Since you're receiving training from Satan, maybe he'll give you a leg up on the competition.

nedz
2015-11-11, 09:05 PM
One thing I don't understand:

You're CE
Your being helped by the inhabitants of Hell — who are LE
Your party know about this

There is something called the Bloodwar, which has raged between Devils (LE) and Demons (CE) for, at least one, eternity.
There is also some OOC information sharing / metagaming here.

Honest Tiefling
2015-11-11, 09:10 PM
One thing I don't understand:

You're CE
Your being helped by the inhabitants of Hell — who are LE
Your party know about this

There is something called the Bloodwar, which has raged between Devils (LE) and Demons (CE) for, at least one, eternity.
There is also some OOC information sharing / metagaming here.

Hell is apparently ruled by Satan, and he's becoming a half-demon. Methinks the normal rules for fiends do not apply here. Then again, the bard almost worshipped John Cena's willy. I greatly suspect it is not a serious setting playing by DnD rules, for some reason.

nedz
2015-11-12, 02:54 AM
Then again, the bard almost worshipped John Cena's willy.

Oh, I just thought ...

Mystral
2015-11-12, 03:39 AM
This is either the best or worst game I have ever read about.

You might want to switch your gaming system to calvinball, though.

Psyren
2015-11-12, 12:48 PM
I'm sorry but I will just say it plainly. You're not playing dnd so there is no help a hardcore dnd forum can give you to help with your situation. while some of what you say sounds like it could be a fun night it is in no way dnd, maybe loosely based, and by loose I mean tossing a hotdog down a hallway type loose. This forum could help you should you ever decide to really play, but short of that there isn't anything that can be done for you.

Want an optimized character? We can point you the way and help you customize it to the flavor you wish.
Need a Magical custom Item? We got those in bulk.
Want tips or tricks to make dnd fun or more challenging? I'm sure we could manage to dig something up.
Have an odd question/combo you think might work? Post it and we'll confirm it or blow it up for you.
Need a RAW/RAI answer? we have rules lawyers aplenty and we could even give you help on the consensus for the most likely RAI translation.
Need to fix a class that WotC messed up or perhaps a hombrew fix you want looked at? We can easily help with that.
Playing a game with no rules? Sorry, nothing for you. but your welcome to share your experiences here, just don't expect too much "help".

good luck with your game.

*hopefully nothing comes across too harsh just letting you know what to expect from these boards

All of this. Rule of Funny is a legitimate playstyle but it's one that is better done with a different system altogether.

It also depends on the joke being, well, funny, which apparently you don't seem to think it is (for good reason) and so your friends are just being mean-spirited asshats or at best tone-deaf to your feelings.

The Glyphstone
2015-11-12, 01:03 PM
This is either the best or worst game I have ever read about.

You might want to switch your gaming system to calvinball, though.

Or at least TOON.

Almarck
2015-11-12, 01:37 PM
There's also doing something so outright morbid that they drop the joke. You play along for a bit, but then you make yourself dysfunctional with angst or other means.

It's perhaps meanspirited, admittedly, but you can twist a joke around and play it to such utter seriousness that you can convince them to drop it out of shame. Doing so does require a bit of a straightface as well as an understanding overhow much your partners can tolerate.

In a less mean spirited note, you can subvert their intended goal and blow it to such proportions that they balk at your sheer ridiculousness. You get resurrected as a horse named Shenaynay... but you're also the level 150 "bonus boss" with epic stats and a desire to activate revenge over your whole party. At the end, you all find it's just a dream and everything is back to normal. This one requires GM cooperation to pull of, but imagine the looks on their faces.

You take control of the situation and the joke. You decide how it plays out.

Urpriest
2015-11-12, 02:08 PM
Yeah, to give a slightly more helpful response, there are two ways you can view this: either the other players are bullying you, or they're ribbing you.

If they're bullying you, and they're too immature to see the problem with this, then leave the game. You don't need to hang out with bullies.

If this is just the sort of humor you guys have, and you enjoy giving and taking it in equal measure...then the proper response is to make the joke your own. Basically, this means becoming an immortal teletubby, and then being a terrifying one, so they end up respecting you anyway.

A milder example from one of my games: one of the players had a tendency to get phone calls in the middle of the game and leave for long periods. One of these times, the other players got so frustrated they decided that the missing player's animal companion would be renamed Ryan Seacrest.

Now the thing is, Ryan Seacrest was a Fleshraker dinosaur. In a low-op party.

Naturally, over the next few levels he swiftly demonstrated himself as the party's MVP, to the extent that when he was petrified they hauled him up through a pit trap in order to get him healed, rather than just calling a new animal companion. Ryan Seacrest he might have been, but that ball of claws and fangs was respected.

Killer Angel
2015-11-12, 02:14 PM
I'm pretty sure there's no way, in D&D 3.5, for a dead person to resurrect themselves.

Contingency - revivify. :smallwink:

Psyren
2015-11-12, 02:17 PM
Contingency - revivify. :smallwink:

You have to set that up while you're alive though, so it's still not inaccurate :smalltongue:

Killer Angel
2015-11-12, 03:53 PM
You have to set that up while you're alive though :smalltongue:

I admit it's not perfect :smallbiggrin:

paranoidbox
2015-11-12, 06:08 PM
I admit it's not perfect :smallbiggrin:

He could travel through time and set it up while he was still alive.

I mean, it's not the craziest thing that's happened in their game.

TheifofZ
2015-11-13, 05:40 AM
If you had your own body on hand, and the spells to raise dead, IIRC, you could.
The rules are a bit wonky on revive spells, but the requirements for bringing someone back to life are:
A part of, or the whole body of the person you want to bring back.
A set amount of diamonds worth a fixed value of gold or more.

That's it.
So if you play a cleric and die, and your friends cart your body to the correct afterlife, along with x amount of diamonds, depending on the spell you plan to use, you will meet all the requirements to cast the spell. Since the rules for being dead are horrifically vague and, unless someone proves otherwise, I don't know of any rule that says you lose all class abilities as a dead guy, you: Have the appropriate materials to revive the dead body, have the spell to revive the dead body, and have the dead body.
Nowhere does it say 'you can't raise your own body', IIRC.
So yes. You could revive yourself if either your party carted your corpse to you, or you went to them, or your corpse was right there when you manifest as a spirit.
It'd be weird as all get out, though, and the gods might look at you kind of funny for it.

As to OPs query: Not sure how being able to commands dragons gives the ability to command demons, as the only thing the two have in common are typically bat-wings and a predilection toward cruelty. But then again, the rest of the game that you describe has only a passing acquaintanceship with the rules of normal D&D 3.5, so I, and the rest of us, really can't help much, except to wish you luck with your game of Calvinball.

Edit: Also Magic Jar, with it's duration of hours, will easily net you the duration needed to pump life into your cold bones again... but usually that trick is used by necromancers to animate themselves as an undead abomination.

SangoProduction
2015-11-13, 05:44 AM
If you had your own body on hand, and the spells to raise dead, IIRC, you could.
The rules are a bit wonky on revive spells, but the requirements for bringing someone back to life are:
A part of, or the whole body of the person you want to bring back.
A set amount of diamonds worth a fixed value of gold or more.

That's it.
So if you play a cleric and die, and your friends cart your body to the correct afterlife, along with x amount of diamonds, depending on the spell you plan to use, you will meet all the requirements to cast the spell. Since the rules for being dead are horrifically vague and, unless someone proves otherwise, I don't know of any rule that says you lose all class abilities as a dead guy, you: Have the appropriate materials to revive the dead body, have the spell to revive the dead body, and have the dead body.
Nowhere does it say 'you can't raise your own body', IIRC.
So yes. You could revive yourself if either your party carted your corpse to you, or you went to them, or your corpse was right there when you manifest as a spirit.
It'd be weird as all get out, though, and the gods might look at you kind of funny for it.

As to OPs query: Not sure how being able to commands dragons gives the ability to command demons, as the only thing the two have in common are typically bat-wings and a predilection toward cruelty. But then again, the rest of the game that you describe has only a passing acquaintanceship with the rules of normal D&D 3.5, so I, and the rest of us, really can't help much, except to wish you luck with your game of Calvinball.

The rules aren't vague, there just aren't many. And the OP did say they teleported his ashes to hell, where he resides.

noob
2015-11-13, 05:45 AM
If you get true Resurrection or a scroll of it you do not even need access to your body.

TheifofZ
2015-11-13, 05:53 AM
The rules aren't vague, there just aren't many. And the OP did say they teleported his ashes to hell, where he resides.

The rules for death come in about 4 sentences total, and can be summed up as 'Like Paralyzed but more-so.' and really make very little distinction as to what happens besides the whole 'you are dead' bit.
As the hole in information there is closer to a yawning abyss than a minor gap, I'd say it really is very vague about the whole thing. Lack of information is part and parcel of 'vagueness' when describing that information.

My point was originally more to the guys saying you couldn't actually revive yourself, (loopholes in the RaW mean that with some effort you can), but yes.
The fact that his ashes are in hell where he resides means that, in theory, if he has the magic for it, he could bring himself back first just to spite his teammates.
But the point then becomes: Are they doing this to be ***** because there's a back and forth thing, or because they're bullies.
If they're being jerks because of a back and forth thing, I'd say do what can be done, and then own the result, whatever it is.
If you're a robot teletubby that is immortal, laugh in their face and own the fact. Make them regret giving you that BS body.
If they're doing it because they want you to suffer, tell them it isn't funny and that if they can't respect you that much, you have better things to do than be the butt of a stupid joke, and leave.

TheifofZ
2015-11-13, 05:56 AM
If you get true Resurrection or a scroll of it you do not even need access to your body.

Double post cuz I'm lazy: True res needs a part of the body.
Doesn't matter if it's the tip of a finger rescued from the rabid pack of direwolves or a shard of their thigh bone someone caught after they got hit by a meteor swarm, as long as it was, at some point, part of their flesh, it counts.
But True Res still needs to target something, and you can't just name names. Gotta have a chunk of their body.

Keltest
2015-11-13, 06:10 AM
Double post cuz I'm lazy: True res needs a part of the body.
Doesn't matter if it's the tip of a finger rescued from the rabid pack of direwolves or a shard of their thigh bone someone caught after they got hit by a meteor swarm, as long as it was, at some point, part of their flesh, it counts.
But True Res still needs to target something, and you can't just name names. Gotta have a chunk of their body.

Actually, you can just name names. You don't need a body, just some unambiguous means of identification, such as the resurrectee's time and place of birth and death.

Honest Tiefling
2015-11-13, 01:04 PM
Wait a minute, shouldn't Satan be a little peeved someone is wrecking his plans? I mean, is he the type to a rag-tag team of mortals interfere with training his new student?

Given the rules of this setting, possibly, but its a start.

Delvnegv
2015-11-13, 07:31 PM
It's simple. Refuse to be resurrected. Start over with a new character until they get off of the resurrection teletubby of doom horse. After they get off the teletubby of doom horse, continue to play your (admittedly weaker) character, but talk to the DM in private about bringing your character back as a big bad. Nothing better than laying in waiting. As it turns out, a soul has to be willing to return for resurrection to work, so if the soul (your character) is not willing to return until he's finished his training, no number of spells can make him. In the end, you can have a lot of fun roleplaying the big bad without having to feel like a party killer(though, I assume that is exactly what you would do when you return to the world).