PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Centaur Lance weapon Master

Triskavanski
2015-11-10, 12:56 PM
Currently playing a Centaur weapon master in a game who uses a lance. I'm not really focused on being the best super awesomeness, but am wanting to do some fairly silly things.

1: Power attack 1: Weapon Focus (Lance)
2: Combat Reflexes
3: Natural Lancer
4: Weapon Mastery feat ( I don't know which one though)
5: Slash from the Sky [ Use AoO to act like Deflect Arrows with weapon]
6: Two-Weapon Fighting
7: Dancing spear style (Sacrifice reach to make weapon a double weapon)

Psyren
2015-11-10, 02:29 PM
As I said in your last build thread, it's kinda hard to discuss the new feats when we can't read them yet :smalltongue: The PDF isn't available for purchase until 11/18, and it'll probably be another week after that before the PFSRD gets them too.

Triskavanski
2015-11-10, 02:44 PM
Right right. But what is other things I haven't thought of that are currently out?

I personally think that Cut from the Sky is going to get nerfed rather quickly, as its the Oppurtune Parry/Riposte from Swashbucklers, but only on the parry side of things.

Psyren
2015-11-10, 02:46 PM
Cut From The Sky is as far as I can tell still not uploaded anywhere so I can't comment.

Note also that FAQ/errata for Player Companions is rare.

Triskavanski
2015-11-11, 02:27 PM
Here's a question.. Would a Centaur with Natural Jouster qualify for Swashbuckler stuff?

Sayt
2015-11-11, 03:20 PM
No, the Lance is still a two-handed weapon, you can merely use it one-handed while mounted. This has both it's advantages and disadvantages. This is one of the disadvantages. One the other hand, you always get the 2h power attack damage bonus, even if you're Lancing one-handed, because Power Attack doesn't have a contingency for two-handed weapons in one hand.

Aleolus
2015-11-11, 04:10 PM
Here's another question. Do centaurs qualify for mounted combat feats, without having ranks in Ride?

Triskavanski
2015-11-11, 04:15 PM
So the lance would be something of a Schrodinger-esc weapon with the quantum mechanics involved with it, hinging on exactly how things are worded.

Like if something was "If you're wielding weapon in 1hand" you'd be able to use that with a lance
And if its "While wielding a 2handed weapon" you could use that. I wonder what kind of shenanigans one could get involved with that.

I should have gone 2h weapon fighter if this is the case. I don't see anything in there that says the 2h weapon needs to be wielded in 2hands for a good number of the abilities there.

Triskavanski
2015-11-11, 04:17 PM
Here's another question. Do centaurs qualify for mounted combat feats, without having ranks in Ride?

According to Charger Cavalier - No. In fact you don't qualify as being mounted at all still, unless you take that class and archetype

Sayt
2015-11-11, 04:42 PM
So the lance would be something of a Schrodinger-esc weapon with the quantum mechanics involved with it, hinging on exactly how things are worded.

Like if something was "If you're wielding weapon in 1hand" you'd be able to use that with a lance
And if its "While wielding a 2handed weapon" you could use that. I wonder what kind of shenanigans one could get involved with that.

I should have gone 2h weapon fighter if this is the case. I don't see anything in there that says the 2h weapon needs to be wielded in 2hands for a good number of the abilities there.

Swashbuckler's Finesse specifically calls for: "light or one-handed piercing melee weapons". The Lance is always classified as a "Two-handed Martial Weapon", that contains the clause: "While mounted, you can wield a lance with one hand.", but that doesn't actually make it a one-handed weapon.

Curiously, a Mounted lancer with a lance in one hand will do their normal strength mod and one and a half times power attack. Because Strength specifically calls out "Two-handed attacks".

Aleolus
2015-11-11, 05:02 PM
According to Charger Cavalier - No. In fact you don't qualify as being mounted at all still, unless you take that class and archetype

Now, that just doesn't seem logical. A centaur should have all the advantages that a person fighting from on top a horse does, plus extra (since they don't have to try to coordinate two different minds)

Sayt
2015-11-11, 05:51 PM
Now, that just doesn't seem logical. A centaur should have all the advantages that a person fighting from on top a horse does, plus extra (since they don't have to try to coordinate two different minds)

It's the rules of a tabletop game, logic doesn't enter into it, mate! :smallwink:

Ellowryn
2015-11-11, 07:10 PM

Honestly that falls under ask your Dm territory even if by RAW they do not. My particular gaming group allows it, but i have seen others not.

Triskavanski
2015-11-12, 02:59 PM
So last night we just went mythic after drowning a fey in our party's gnome bard's pool of blood. Shouldn't have killed him little fey. A while later I ripped some doors off the hinges, freed some mythic people and killed a mythic ogre by being the knight in the cage's mount, while he used my lance. (and then he died too)

So new found mythic stuff, never before played with by me. Gotta figure out what to do with it. And as usual, I run into the situation where even though I think I'm using a fairly common archetype of character (A lancing charger) somethings catch my interest but a lot doesn't.

For the first mythic tier power and path, what should I try to go with? Anything out there that a pratfall of an ability?

Psyren
2015-11-12, 03:01 PM
Have you looked at CTP's Mythic Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?316045-PF-CTP-s-Guide-to-Mythic-Adventures)?

Triskavanski
2015-11-12, 03:16 PM
Nope. That will be a good place to start, and since its on this site I can look at it from work too.

Triskavanski
2015-11-15, 11:22 AM
Okay, so I'm looking at the stuff here and I'm figuring what I really want is Champion for my path since it has the most things for AoOs and charging.

Guardian though has retributive reach, increasing my reach by five so I can use AoOs further away. But like thats the only path ability I'm really thinking of taking. I don't know if it would be good enough for a dual path though.

Burst Through
Impossible Speed
Arial Assault
Juggernaut
Legendary Item
Ever Ready

Those are ones I'm seeing needed for my character. Gonna also need to take light step and the like to increase my ability to charge even in difficult terrain.

Triskavanski
2015-11-20, 09:28 AM
Well now the book is out.

So far I'm level 5, we've not yet managed to get any magic gear, but we'll be looking soon now that we're out of the hickville locations we were at.

So far with my advance weapon training I've picked up the Shield bonus one, letting me drop my buckler and use only the lance

My first Mythic Tier gave me burst through and mythic combat reflexes