PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Obscure Multiclassing

AriLance
2015-11-10, 03:58 PM
One of my players for my evil campaign has decided to go with an extremely weird combination, and it's difficult for me to comprehend how it all meshes together. I am looking for some help on the basics of this character build (weaknesses and strengths would be helpful). And if these two classes cannot be joined together for any reason, I would love to hear it since I would rather not DM such a confusing character.

The PC is a Catfolk that is multiclassing a Jester and a Death Master (from the Dragon Compendium, not homebrew).

Anyone know anything about this?

TheIronGolem
2015-11-10, 04:44 PM
Why do you find this confusing? Have you talked to the player about what his overall character concept is?

ComaVision
2015-11-10, 04:52 PM
Jester, Death Master, and Catfolk have basically no synergistic features. Jester is Charisma based casting. Death Master is intelligence based casting. Catfolk have a large Dex bonus. Even if you find this "confusing" it shouldn't be very powerful.

AriLance
2015-11-10, 04:59 PM
I found it confusing since I didn't think all three would mesh well together at all, and I thought I was missing something. That and the very basis of spellcasting is different for both of them (one needs preparation and the other doesn't). I think my confusion has been cleared up now. Thank you for the help!

nedz
2015-11-10, 08:14 PM
Assuming you are playing 3.5: it might be an idea to re-post this in the 3.5 sub-forum, simply because you will get more responses. You can get the mods to move it instead by reporting your original post and asking them.

HalfQuart
2015-11-11, 09:48 PM
I don't know anything about either class, but maybe it's headed towards Ultimate Magus or some other dual-progressing PrC?

gadren
2015-11-11, 10:45 PM
Clearly they are building a necrodancer.

Triskavanski
2015-11-12, 09:38 AM
Joke warfare (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=q9XJeL2MNpw)is never pretty.

Flickerdart
2015-11-12, 10:56 AM
Clearly they are building a necrodancer.
One would think that Battledancer 1 + Sorcerer + Spelldancer would be a better necrodancer. Even a Bard/Dirgesinger is a decent necrodancer.

Telonius
2015-11-12, 11:14 AM
Well, let's see what we have. +10 movement, +4 dex, +2 Cha, and +1 LA from Catfolk. Death Master gives him Rebuke Undead, a minion, light armor proficiency, a few worthless weapon proficiencies, and Arcana, Religion and Planes as class skills. Jester gives him simple weapon proficiency (plus a few random others) and shield proficiency, a nice skill list and 6+Int skill points.

Assuming the player knows what he's doing, I suspect he's just dipped Death Master for the Rebuke attempts, and will be focusing on Jester. (The +2 to Charisma he gets from Catfolk is what makes me think that; if he's arranged his stats to dump Charisma then I'm stumped). Death Master might be slightly better than a Cleric dip (I'd have to look into that to be sure), but having Rebuke Attempts at all fills a whole bunch of prerequisites for very nice future feats.

Troacctid
2015-11-12, 02:13 PM
It's not a good combo at all. The classes don't have any particular synergy, and Catfolk is a generic, fairly underpowered race without any notable abilities. Death Master also really wants you to have full caster level for animating, commanding, and rebuking undead, and the undead servant also only scales with Death Master levels, so your player is actually shooting himself in the foot something awful by multiclassing and taking a level adjustment.