PDA

View Full Version : Initiate of the Green Tunic (Base Class)

Raistlin1040
2007-05-29, 09:20 PM
The adventurers hid behind the rocks, hoping the dragon wouldn't find them. They could hear him following them, and could only imagine what he's do with them when he found them. "I'm done hiding!" Yelled the warrior dressed in green. "You're crazy!" yelled his teamates. "Am I?" He pulled out an ocarina, played a few notes and stepped out to face the dragon. The dragon roared, and began to shoot a flame at the man. He smirked and waved his hand in front of himself. A faint blue light covered him, and the fire glanced off him. He drew his sword, dropped to the ground, and rolled past the dragon. The dragon looked confused. Suddenly he dropped to the ground, the hero's blade imbedded in his skull.

((Yes this is a class based on Link from the Legend of Zelda. Bear with me.))

Initiate of the Green Tunic
From the lavish castle towns, to the lush green jungles, to the frozen tundras, Initiates of the Green Tunic are brave, determined, and pure. They live only to protect those that they love or feel in dept to. They will easily throw away their life to save a friend or family member. Bards sing of their deeds, fighters train to learn their techniques, and rogues admire their speed and heads for initiative.

Adventures: Initiates are often drawn to the adventuring lifestyle by the promises of skill and wisdom. They are enchanted by those more powerful than they, and aspire to learn all they can.

Characteristics: Initiates are good warriors, but mix up their fighting prowess with a few magical abilities and techniques that make them unique. While a fighter may win in a straight fight, an initiate is quicker and has magic at his disposal.

Alignment: Initiates cannot be evil. While they can be selfish, stern, and mean-spirited, they do not desire harm to anyone that wants peace or is good at heart.

Religion: While not known for their piety, they often worship Kord, Heinroneus, or other gods that favor martial strength and goodwill. They also at least respect the three ancient godesses, if not worshipping them directly.

Background: Initiates come from as diverse backgrounds as fighters. Some are from prestigious military families, other are the children of nobles. Others still may have been street rats or Altar boys/girls. Their background matters little as long as they devote themselves to their principles.

Races: Humans, with their ambitious nature and elves with their magic skills make good Initiates. Half-elves can also be good at it. Halfling Initiates, while rare, aren't unheard of. Gnomes, Dwarves, and Half-orcs seldom become Initiates.

Other Classes: Initiates get along fairly well with fighters, rogues, and bard. Paladins dislike them, often considering them not truly pure. Wizards are often a bit suspicious, wondering how a fighter can get such magics. Sorcerers, monks, and druids are indifferent. Barbarians don't often understand them, and rangers don't care either way, often only caring that they are a good addition to a team. Clerics can find common ground if their dieties are friends, but otherwise are indifferent.

Role: While not a tank, Initiates are good fighters and with the magics and abilities they command can be formidable ranged warriors or be great 2nd melee warrior. They are also good at filling the "5th slot".

Game Information
Abilities: Strength is important if the Initiate is a melee warrior. Dexterity is useful because with less hit points than a fighter, higher AC is useful. Constitution is useful for more hit points. Charisma is also good to have as it fuels many of the Initiates magic abilities.

Alignment: Any non-evil
Hit Die: D8

Class Skills (And the Key ability for each skill) Balance (Dex), Concentration (Con), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st level: (4+INT modifier)X4
Skill Points at each additional level 4+Int modifier

Class Features
All the following are class features of the Initiate of the Green Tunic.
Weapon and Armor Proficiancies: The Initiate gets proficiancy with all simple weapons and the longsword, bastard sword(1-handed), longbow, shortbow, and warhammer. He also gets proficiancy with light armor, medium armor, and shields (Excluding tower shields.)

Tumbling Master: An Initiate takes no armor check penalty when wearing light armor or using shields. Normal penalties apply when wearing medium armor.

Ocarina Songs: At first level, and every 4 levels after (5th, 9th, 13th, 17th), an Initiate can learn one song on his ocarina. The number of times he may use his songs is equal to his charisma modifier. For instance, Marque is a 9th level initiate, and knows three songs. He has a Charisma of 18. He can use 4 songs per day. He does not need to prepare which songs he wants to play. Playing a song correctly requires a DC 15 perform check and takes up a move action. All effects and summoned creatures last for 1 round+level of Initiate up to 16 rounds at 15th level.

Bolero of Fire: This song gives you and one ally of your choice Fire Resistance 10. Alternitavly, you may summon a Fire Elemental with HD equal to your class level +1.

Serenade of Water: This song gives you and a number of allies equal to your charisma modifier water-breathing and a +15 on all swim checks. Alternitavly, you may summon a water elemental with HD equal to your class level +1

Minuet of Forests: This song gives you a +30 movement bonus. This is land speed only, and is not affected by armor or race.

Saria's song: This song allows you to establish a connection with one ally. That ally and you both get a bonus to hit equal to your charima bonus, and you can both converse telepathicly if you share a language.

Nocturne of Shadow: This song causes one enemy of your choice to get a -1 to hit and also allows one ally of your choice (Can't be you) to benefit from an Invisibility spell.

Requiem of Spirit: This spell allows a number of allies equal to your charisma modifier to function as if their weapons had the Ghost Touch enchantment.

Song of the Storm: This song calls fog, that gives all allies partial concealment and causes rain that puts out any non-magical fire.

Song of Time: This song allows one ally of your choice to get an extra standard action on their next turn.

Epona's song: This song calls a Light Warhorse (Or Pony, depending on size) to your side instantly.

Earth God’ Lyric: This song bestows all allies with unnatural stability and fortitude, giving them a bonus to resist all Bull Rush, Overrun, and Trip attempts equal to your charisma bonus. Alternatively you may summon an Earth Elemental with Hit Dice equal to your class level +1.

Wind God’s Aria: This song endows allies with the tranquility and inner peace of a serene breeze, giving them a bonus on all Concentration checks equal to your charisma bonus. Alternatively you may summon an Air Elemental with Hit Dice equal to your class level +1.

Triforce of Courage: At 3rd level, you become immune to fear. All allies in a 10foot radius get a +5 to resist fear effects.

Triforce of Wisdom: At 4th level you benefit from the Iron Will feat, even if you don't meet the prerequisites.

Kokiri Sword: At 5th level you gain Weapon Focus (Longsword) as a bonus feat even if you don't meet the prerequisites.

Path of the Hero: At 7th level, you may choose a path. The first path is Hero of Twilight. The Hero of Twilight gains the ability to turn into a Werewolf for a number of rounds equal to twice his initiate level. The Hero of Time gains the ability to "turn back time" to allow a reroll on a dice. He can use this a number of times equal to his Charisma modifier He may only use this once per roll. The Hero of the Minish gains the ability to reduce his size by one size catergory for a number of rounds equal to three times his charima modifier per day.

Triforce of Power: At 9th level, the Initiate gains a permanant +2 to his or her strength.

Gift of the Goddess: At 10th level, the Initiate is becoming a favorite of the three Goddesses. He may use three Spell-like abilities pertaining to the goddesses. He may use each spell-like ability 1/day. The caster level is equal to one half your Initiate level.

Naryu's Love: This spell-like ability allows you to cast Mage Armor on yourself, the only difference being that it gives you a deflection bonus, not an armor bonus. It lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Initiate level.

Din's Fire: This spell-like ability allows you to engulf your body in fire. It doesn't hurt you or damage your equipment. Any enemy that hits you from 5 feet or less away takes 1d8 fire damage. If you are hit with a natural weapon like a fist or claw, the damage is increased to 2d8. Each round, at the beginning of your turn, anyone within 5 feet of you take 1d6 fire damage. This lasts a number of rounds equal to your initate level.

Farore's Wind: This spell-like ability lets you cast Lighting Bolt, the only difference being that it deals non-elemental damage and all creatures hit must make a DC 20 STR check or be blown back 5 feet.

Master Sword: At 12th level you gain Weapon Specialization with the Longsword, even if you don't meat the prerequisites.

Increased Gift of the Goddess: At 13th level, you may use each spell-like from Gift of the Goddess 2/day, instead of 1/day.

Improved Critical (Longsword): At 15th level, An Initiate gains Improved Critical (Longsword) as a bonus feat, even if he doesn't meet the prerequisets.

Bestow Elements: At 16th level, an initiate gains the ability to add 1d8 damage to any weapon. The types available are Fire, Cold, Electricity, and Holy. Ranged weapons bestow this ability on their ammunition. This ability lasts for (Initiate level)+(Charisma Mod) rounds per day. This ability increases to 2d8 at 19th level.

Hookshot: At 17th level, an Initiate can spend 5,000 gold pieces to have a Hookshot crafted. A Hookshot only works for the Initiate for who it was crafted. It is capable of extending 45 feet, pulling objects less than or equal to twice the Initiates weight back to him, granting a +20 to climb checks made with it, and attacking enemies. If used as a weapon, it requiers a ranged touch attack to succeed, and deals 1d10 damage. It also gains a +2 to trip attacks used with it. It can be upgraded to a Longshot with 10,000 more gold pieces. The Longshot functions the same, except it can extend 90 feet.

Master of the Triforce: At 20th level, an Initiate has completely mastered all aspects of the Triforce. A number of rounds per day equal to his Charisma mod he may call upon the Triforce to grant him power. He gains DR 10/-, Spell Resistance 20+CHA Mod, and gains 15 temporary hit points.

((Don't know how to make a table)) BAB: As Fighter. Saves: Fort, Ref good. Will bad.

Work in progress.

Raistlin1040
2007-05-29, 10:48 PM
Updated. Added first songs and a few abilites. Added BAB and saves.

TempusCCK
2007-05-29, 11:46 PM
You've mixed the fighter with a superpowered Bard.

First things first, you need to specify the progression of those songs, some of them are just much to powerful to have at 4th level. And yes, while I see that this is based on Legend of Zelda, video games and D&D don't always mesh. Those songs are badly in need of some prerequisites. Also, need a limit to the number of times you can use them per day.

I see the water song being almost completely useless in most every campaign, while the invisibility being spammed to death. Thinking of a way to tie in these abilities to an ability score of some type would be useful.

Theres alot to be done here, but it could be really good, keep it up.

Raistlin1040
2007-05-30, 03:58 PM
Ocarina Songs: At first level, and every 4 levels after (5th, 9th, 13th, 17th), an Initiate can learn one song on his ocarina. The number of times he may use his songs is equal to his charisma modifier. For instance, Marque is a 9th level initiate, and knows three songs. He has a Charisma of 18. He can use 4 songs per day. He does not need to prepare which songs he wants to play. Playing a song correctly requires a DC 15 perform check and takes up a move action. All effects and summoned creatures last for 1 round+level of Initiate up to 16 rounds at 15th level.

Just for the record, I did have a number of times per day. Do you have ideas for prerequisites? And I run a lot of water campaigns, so the water song is useful for me, even if not for the majority.

Korias
2007-05-30, 04:08 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313

Theirs a table making guide in the first post.

Raistlin1040
2007-05-30, 04:11 PM
Hey! *Pokes Korias* You have a SMBG game to run.

Korias
2007-05-30, 04:16 PM
Oh Trust me. If I could figure out where the thread went. Either my eye sight is going, or its been vaporized during bandwidth problembs.

Raistlin1040
2007-05-30, 04:20 PM
Eyesight. Check structured games.

Korias
2007-05-30, 04:23 PM
Not Fun.

Even more not fun, since the rolls arent showing up.

Raistlin1040
2007-05-31, 10:18 PM
Must...will self...to update. I'm working on some ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Khoran
2007-05-31, 11:28 PM
I look forward to seeing where this class goes. I sent you some suggestions while we were talking over PMs, but I'd just like to say that I am looking foward to seeing this class get more work done it like you mentioned.

knightsaline
2007-05-31, 11:37 PM
the song you labelled "minuet of woods" is actually called "minuet of forest"

allow the player to choose different "paths" of the hero. For example, the path of twilight could give the hero the ability to turn into a wolf for a time, while the path of the small allows the hero to change size and manipulate constructs larger than it.

what about instead of ocarina songs, you have Conductions which do different things on a Perform (conductor) check

Korias
2007-06-01, 06:28 AM
the song you labelled "minuet of woods" is actually called "minuet of forest"

allow the player to choose different "paths" of the hero. For example, the path of twilight could give the hero the ability to turn into a wolf for a time, while the path of the small allows the hero to change size and manipulate constructs larger than it.

what about instead of ocarina songs, you have Conductions which do different things on a Perform (conductor) check

Going along with your idea, woudnt that be included in another "Hero path"?

ZeroNumerous
2007-06-01, 06:59 AM
Maybe Hero of the Wind, who gets access to various pieces he can conduct based on the 'songs' from WW?

Toric
2007-06-01, 12:59 PM
Other abilities you might add could include the creation and use of Link's various gadgets. A boomerang that does a set amount of damage at 30 feet or less on a maximum of five targets, usable as a standard action. Deku nuts that blind a foe for a round or two. The ability to add or convert fire, ice, and holy damage to arrows, bolts, or thrown weapons. A hookshot that can hold double your character's weight and grants a significant competence bonus to the appropriate Use Rope check and eliminates the need for some of those Climb checks. Limited range, but at a higher level you can upgrade it to a Longshot. Just a few ideas.

Raistlin1040
2007-06-02, 11:40 AM
Added stuff.

JackMage666
2007-06-02, 01:23 PM
I agree with the pre-requisites needed for songs. Some of those abilities are pretty powerful, so I'd make the more powerful ones have a required level. +30 Land speed unaffected by armor is a good abilitie to have X times a day, and the Extra Standard Action is tremendously good (Wizard or Sorcerer casts 2 spells in a round with this), and SHOULD NOT be allowed at 1st level. So, add on a Required Initiate Level to some of them (Song of Time should have required level 13, for example.)

Also, you need to clarify what the abilities types are (Supernatural, Spell-Like, or Extrodinary)

Raistlin1040
2007-06-02, 10:01 PM
Yeah, yeah. I'm working on it.

Generic PC
2007-06-02, 11:52 PM
I would point out it has 8 dead levels, all of which are above 10 level, which is when everything else is getting really good. Songs seem fixed, but i wouldnt know much, as i have never done this before. Maybe one would be Improved Critical, or Bonus feats? Also, spread out the abilities currently there, so you can add in something like: Add 4 ranks of Craft Boomerang. The first Boomerang you craft has a Gust of Wind (Activated) Or, put in Improved Aiming, which removes Cover from an enemy if you havn't moved for one round(two move actions). There are loads of things, maybe at 11, he gets a Tunic which has Cold Resistance 15, at 16 he gets the Biggron Sword. If you want a class like this, replay the Zelda game you are modeling this after, then assume at Level one, you are exactly as you start out. then move on from there.

Raistlin1040
2007-06-03, 09:37 AM
It's not finished yet. I pretty much can't sit still for 3 hours and make a whole class. As for biggorgon's sword, I gave him Bastard Sword proficiancy.

Raistlin1040
2007-06-07, 10:24 PM
Sorry I haven't updated. Finals and severe writers block. I'll do some work on it tomorrow.

Xefas
2007-06-08, 09:36 AM
I suggest making the songs 'scale' a bit better with level. I mean, barring needing to start a campfire, who needs a Small Elemental past the first few levels? Same with turning into a Winter Wolf. They are CR 5, with an ECL of 9 (even though I doubt they are anywhere near a 9th level character in power), so the usefulness of the ability will diminish very swiftly as the character moves away from 7th level, whereas rerolling dice is not only continually useful no matter what, but also quite entertaining to play with in a tabletop situation.

I'm not sure exactly how to do this, but maybe if the summoned elementals had Hit Dice equal to your class level +1, that'd be a start.

Oh, and as for songs from the Wind Waker, here are two that could round out the elemental quartet.

Earth God’ Lyric: This song bestows all allies with unnatural stability and fortitude, giving them a bonus to resist all Bull Rush, Overrun, and Trip attempts equal to your charisma bonus. Alternatively you may summon an Earth Elemental with Hit Dice equal to your class level +1.

Wind God’s Aria: This song endows allies with the tranquility and inner peace of a serene breeze, giving them a bonus on all Concentration checks equal to your charisma bonus. Alternatively you may summon an Air Elemental with Hit Dice equal to your class level +1.

Mmmm...some sort of clause that only 1 elemental can be active at a time might be in order, as well.

Raistlin1040
2007-06-09, 09:07 AM
2 songs added, one song slightly nerfed, a few new abilities added.