PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing Witch hunter

ThirdProgenitor
2015-11-10, 11:37 PM
http://geekandsundry.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Witch-Hunter-Class-FINAL-4.2.pdf

My friend and I are looking to optimize his witch hunter build. He starts at lvl 8 and his stats are 17, 11, 10, 12, 13, 13 before ASI and is thinking of going order of the ghost slayer. Not set in stone.

Any of you guys have ideas on how to take this class and make it a BEAST.
DM is buffing the class slightly. Will update when I know what the buffs are. They wont be game breaking.

Longcat
2015-11-11, 12:15 AM
Are Feats allowed? Would he prefer a ranged or melee centric character?

ThirdProgenitor
2015-11-11, 12:20 AM
Are Feats allowed? Would he prefer a ranged or melee centric character?

Feats are allowed. He seems not to care about melee or ranged. However, we currently have a battlemaster fighter, a vengence paladin and I'm a Fiend patron/book of shadows warlock.

CyberThread
2015-11-11, 12:27 AM
Fun class, I don't have the time to help you with your problem as your class is very complex in trying to pick and choose things but looks like it would be fun

Longcat
2015-11-11, 12:36 AM
Given your party lineup, a ranged character may be best. Using a hand crossbow with Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter will allow him to deal respectable damage that synergizes well with the Elemental Weapon effect of the Witch Hunter.

ThirdProgenitor
2015-11-11, 12:41 AM
Given your party lineup, a ranged character may be best. Using a hand crossbow with Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter will allow him to deal respectable damage that synergizes well with the Elemental Weapon effect of the Witch Hunter.

Race? Order? Stats?

Longcat
2015-11-11, 12:49 AM
Race? Order? Stats?

Race: Always Variant Human when it is allowed.

Feat Order: Crossbow Expert at Level 1, Sharpshooter at Level 4. Max Dexterity after that.

Stats: Put the 17 in Dexterity and a 13 in Constitution. Apply the Variant Human racial mods to those, making them 18 and 14 respectively. The rest is a matter of taste; I would put a 13 in Wisdom and Charisma, 10 in Intelligence and 11 in Strength.

ThirdProgenitor
2015-11-11, 12:55 AM
Race: Always Variant Human when it is allowed.

Feat Order: Crossbow Expert at Level 1, Sharpshooter at Level 4. Max Dexterity after that.

Stats: Put the 17 in Dexterity and a 13 in Constitution. Apply the Variant Human racial mods to those, making them 18 and 14 respectively. The rest is a matter of taste; I would put a 13 in Wisdom and Charisma, 10 in Intelligence and 11 in Strength.

What are your thoughts on the orders?

Longcat
2015-11-11, 12:57 AM
What are your thoughts on the orders?

I'm heavily biased towards Order of the Mutant as I am a fan of the Witcher series of novels and videogames. My personal preference is Mutant>Ghost>Profane.

Douche
2015-11-11, 10:50 AM
Some of the Mutagens under mutant sound pretty cool. The Celerity & Potency ones, in particular, especially if you already have high Dex (or Str) and high Con. All the other ones seem to be a pretty even tradeoff, but those 2 are awesome. Nighteye isn't bad since you wouldn't be using it in sunlight anyway.

Ghostslayer seems strongest to me, at least for a melee character but if you're going to be ranged then Mutant looks best.

The profane soul archetype... Diabolic channel, if you hit with your attack, does that mean that your spell automatically succeeds as well?

MrStabby
2015-11-11, 11:17 AM
Is multi-classing allowed? If you want ghostslayer order:

A 1 level dip for Monk or nature cleric would work well. Max Wisdom and use shillelagh as a cleric for 2*wis bonus to damage, heavy armour, 1st level spells and some useful cantrips.

Monk lets you use dex for a quarterstaff,and adds wisdom to AC to help make you a pretty awesome wis/dex fighter.

If you are not allowed to Multiclass it is still worth considering magic initiate for Shillelagh anyway as wisdom is so important to this class.

This is not a bad option for other classes as well. By high levels a storm cleric can move enemies about through thunder/lightening damage from their bloodrite, have 2 attacks with a lot of damage on each and a great load of supporting spells as well as being pretty SAD (ok some str for attacks would be nice). With just a couple of feats for polearm mastery and sentinel you would be pretty devastating by mid levels (13+).

ThirdProgenitor
2015-11-11, 02:42 PM
Some of the Mutagens under mutant sound pretty cool. The Celerity & Potency ones, in particular, especially if you already have high Dex (or Str) and high Con. All the other ones seem to be a pretty even tradeoff, but those 2 are awesome. Nighteye isn't bad since you wouldn't be using it in sunlight anyway.

Ghostslayer seems strongest to me, at least for a melee character but if you're going to be ranged then Mutant looks best.

The profane soul archetype... Diabolic channel, if you hit with your attack, does that mean that your spell automatically succeeds as well?

I believe so.
My friend is trying to find ways to chain diabolic channel, dark velocity (I think that's what it's called) and whatever ability in profane soul that let's him cast a cantrip whenever an enemy AoO misses.
We're looking to buff hunters bane to work more like 3.5 favored enemy. Petitioning the DM to allow blood rite to be double damage against his favored enemy.
Sanguine mastery may be buffed to have it take no hp to use blood rite at lvl 20.
Were also trying to reword mystic frenzyto make him able to chain that diabolic strike and arcane impulse. Might be a little overpowered..... Actually it's probably really op.
He really likes profane soul so far after the buffs I helped him work out last night. Now we just need to get them approved.

MrStabby
2015-11-11, 03:59 PM
To be honest I find the idea of buffing this class to be a little weird; I think it looks really strong as it is.

ThirdProgenitor
2015-11-11, 09:57 PM
To be honest I find the idea of buffing this class to be a little weird; I think it looks really strong as it is.

Pretty much everyone we've talking to and I've seen in this forum (including our DM) thinks it seems rather underpowered