PDA

View Full Version : Scion of the Sun

Jaerc
2007-05-29, 11:50 PM
SCION OF THE SUN
The scion of the sun is a dedicated and powerful servant of the Pharaonic gods, especially Ra the King of Kings and his metaphorical sun-children. They first learn to harness the power of the sun and the sands and later use it to call down the mighty solar energies.

http://www.energyhawk.com/snaps/mansun.jpg

Requirements
To qualify to become a Scion of the Sun (SotS), a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Alignment: Any non-evil
Base Attack Bonus: +9
Skills: Diplomacy 15 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 15 ranks, Survival 7 ranks
Spells: Ability to cast 7th level divine spells.
Special: Must have been chosen and accepted as a paragon of the Pharaonic faith by one of the following deities or their servants. Ra, Amun, Amet, or Horus.

Game Rule Information
Scions of the Sun have the following game statistics.
Base Attack Bonus: Average
Hit Die: d6
Saves: Good Fortitude, Average Will, Poor Reflex
Class Skills: The class skills for the scion of the sun and their key abilities are as follows. Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Survival (Wis).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2+Int

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the scion of the sun prestige class.

{table=head]Level|Base AttackBonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+1|Lightchild, Turn Undead|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+2|Sand Prophet|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+2|Walker in Darkness|

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+2|Lord of Fire|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+3|Phoenix of the Sun King|+1 level of existing spellcasting class[/table]

Weapons and Armor Proficiency: Class gains no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Spellcasting : When a new scion of the sun level is gained, except 3rd, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in whatever divine spellcasting class in which he could cast 7th-level spells before he added the prestige class level.

Turn Undead (Ex): The unliving flee and burn at his command. A scion of the sun adds his scion class levels to his cleric levels for all purposes related to turning undead.

Lightchild (Su): The Scion of the Sun glows with an unearthly light, marking him as a chosen of the golden gods. He emits light as a daylight spell, though he may suppress this ability at will.

Sand Prophet (Ex): To activate the benefits of the Sand Prophet ability the scion of the sun must fast for one day and one night, from sunrise to sunrise. During this 24 hour period he may not consume any food or water at all, and make take no activity except for calm prayer and meditation. Damage done to you ongoing effects (such as disease or poison) does not hinder your fast. However, if you are attacked during the fast, forced to move more than 10 ft. from your spot of meditation by force or volition, or are disturbed in any way, you must make a Concentration check (DC 25 +2 per incident + points of damage taken) or lose the meditative trance. A failed fast causes 1d4 points of temporary Constitution damage, and 5d4 points of nonlethal damage. At the end of a successful fast you recover 2d8 points of ability damage and are healed of all nonlethal damage, including that from starvation and thirst). You may choose to forgo healing ability damage and nonlethal damage. Instead, you automatically cleanse any poisons or diseases still in your system. Doing this also restores up to 2d4 points of any type of damage that the poison or disease has done to you.

Walker in Darkness (Ex): The scion of the sun learns that darkness is the black twin of his master, the mysteries of Ra's nightly journey are revealed to him. This provides a plethora of benefits. A scion only requires 4 hours of rest to gain refreshment. These hours are spent meditating deeply, lending his spiritual strength to Ra to aide him usher in the dawn. At the end of this meditation, regardless of when his spells we last cast You gain back 2d6 levels of spells. These regained spells must be spells you've cast since you last prepared spells. He gains darkvision 120 feet. If he already posses darkvision it's range increase by 60 feet. During the night time hours he receives a +1 on attack and damage against evil creatures but suffers a -1 on all caster level and Wisdom checks.

Lord of Fire (Su): The sun's fire obey the scion's whims. When the sun is out the scion may pray for divine aid as a swift action and roll a Knowledge (religion) check. He then selects a 10 foot radius spread anywhere withing 100 feet (provided he has line of effect to the fire's point of origin). Creatures in the area take damage equal to the scion's Knowledge (religion) check. All effected creature entitled to a Reflex save (DC 10 + scion of the sun's level + Wis modifier) for half damage. This ability may be used 2+Cha modifier times a day.

Phoenix of the Sun King (Su): Once per week the scion of the sun may channel the sun's awesome power. He explodes in a searing blast of solar energy dealing 20d6 points of damage in a 20 ft. radius. All effected creatures are entitled to a Reflex save (DC 19 + Wis modifier) for half damage. Half of the damage comes from fire, the other half is divine solar energy (untyped damage). An undead creature caught within the radius instead takes 20d8 points of damage or half damage if the Reflex save is successful. In addition, the burst results in the destruction of any undead creature specifically harmed by bright light if it fails its save. This blast destroys the scion, but 1d6 rounds later he reforms in the exact spot where he was when he activated the ability. He is dazed for one round after reappearing, but is healed of all damage (including ability drain or damage), blindness, deafness, disease, paralysis, or poison. Any equipment worn or objects held or carried when the scion used this ability reforms with him, exactly as it was. This ability is the equivalent of a 9th level spell.

Epic Scion of the Sun: You cannot create progressions for classes with fewer than 10 levels.

New Feats

FAST OF THE HEART
Prerequisites Sand Prophet class ability, Str 15, Wis 15
Benefits You must fast as described in the Sand Prophet class ability. At the end of a successful fast you may choose to forgo the normal benefits.. Instead, you receive a +4 insight bonus on attack rolls and saving throws for a number of hours equal to your character level.
Normal: The Sand Prophet class ability allows you to heal ability and nonlethal damage.

FAST OF THE MIND
Prerequisites Sand Prophet class ability, Int 15, Wis 15
Benefits You must fast as described in the Sand Prophet class ability. At the end of a successful fast, you may choose to forgo the normal benefits. Instead you receive a +4 insight bonus on skill checks for a number of hours equal to your character level.
Normal: The Sand Prophet class ability allows you to heal ability and nonlethal damage.

FAST OF THE SOUL
Prerequisites Sand Prophet class ability, Wis 17
Benefits You must fast exactly as described under the Sand Prophet class feature. At the end of a successful fast you may choose to forgo the normal benefits.. Instead, you receive a +4 insight bonus to your Wisdom score for a number of hours equal to your total character level.
Normal The Sand Prophet class ability allows you to heal ability and nonlethal damage.

This makes use of the medium save. If you do not want to complicate things by implementing it, instead use the Good progression.

There is nothing particularly innovative in the design mechanics of the Scion of the Sun, but despite this it is unique.

Miraqariftsky
2007-05-30, 07:45 AM
This is great! Awesome. Keep up the good work, Jaerc.

During that fast, does the character need to roll Fort saves against hunger pangs and Will saves to keep up the fast?

Aye, the SotS may be the chosen of the gods but what defensive capabilites will ye give him/her? Be it AC defense or otherwise, a very lucky assassin could readily lay the Scion low.

adanedhel9
2007-05-30, 09:23 AM
Could you clarify the Walker in Darkness ability?

As written, it looks like a SotS could regain his spells multiple times per day, which is not a good idea.

Jaerc
2007-05-30, 07:05 PM
This is great! Awesome. Keep up the good work, Jaerc.

During that fast, does the character need to roll Fort saves against hunger pangs and Will saves to keep up the fast?

Aye, the SotS may be the chosen of the gods but what defensive capabilites will ye give him/her? Be it AC defense or otherwise, a very lucky assassin could readily lay the Scion low.

Thank you, I am glad you like it.

For the same reason that a character does not need to roll such saves in "regular" strenous ability, the answer is no.

The SotS is most likely a cleric before entering the PrC and the proficiency with heavy armour combined with long lasting defensive spells that are both direct (magic vestment, shield of faith, etc.) and indirect (death ward, spell resistance, etc.) results in a high AC "chosen one", who is resistant to many effects.

And if in doubt? EXPLODE! :smalltongue:

Could you clarify the Walker in Darkness ability?

As written, it looks like a SotS could regain his spells multiple times per day, which is not a good idea.

At the moment that is correct. I have yet to hear a convincing argument over how the potentail for multiple spell refreshes would cause imbalance. I would be glad be convinced though, I like nothing so much as finding out I' wrong. :smallwink:

aaron_the_cow
2007-05-30, 07:34 PM
because then they could use the phenex thing infinit amount of times and could just kill a ton of people, get somone to teliport him away and repeat, expesialy cheap with high lvl. mage with helm of temiportaion.

adanedhel9
2007-05-30, 08:24 PM
The issue (in the abstract) is durability. Every character has resources he has to manage. At some point, the character will run low on these resources and become difficult to play without rest. The guys with the big pointy sticks and heavy armor have to manage their HP; those with spellcasting abilities have to manage their spells per day. In theory, both are balanced so that each will run out of their respective resources around the same time, requiring the party to stop for a rest.

With the Walker in the Darkness ability, the number of spells per day jumps by a considerable factor: a SotS could cast twice his normal number of spells per day, or more. Theoretically, he could cast 5 times his normal.

Now, granted, he won't always be able to pull this trick off. But when he does, even if it's just one extra time per day, he'll be able to outpace every other character in the party. When the wizard is left with expensive consumables, the fighter is skirting the edge of battle to avoid getting hit, and the rogue is just plain hiding, the SotS will still be going at full speed, just as powerful as before.

Even if the SotS can't pull this off in the middle of a day of encounters, this ability will still mean free, complete, nightly healing. After all, the party will have to stop for 8 hours so the other casters can regain spells and so everyone can sleep. After the first four hours, the SotS drops out of his meditation with a new set of spells, heals everyone, then goes back to meditation. By the time everyone is ready to go, the SotS will have had another 4 hours, and thus a brand new set of spells.

Jaerc
2007-06-02, 12:08 AM
Oh. Crap.

I didn't fix that after all. :smallsigh:

I'll tighten up the language back to it's previous saved state on my computer. What I have in store allows for four hour refreshment and requires that you pray for those hours for spells at night.

Matthew
2007-06-11, 03:56 PM
Very interesting. I wonder what a Cleric will do with levels 18-20? Anyway, Will save seems unusual and why bother dropping one Spell Casting Level?

PirateMonk
2007-06-11, 04:17 PM
Nitpick: Lord of Fire and Phoenix of the Sun King both say that affected people are entitled to a Reflex save, but it never says anything good happens for them if they make it...

Maerok
2007-06-11, 04:57 PM
Phoenix of the Sun deals 20d8 damage per caster level to undead?

Matthew
2007-06-11, 05:00 PM
Wow, I missed that. Crazy.

Jaerc
2007-10-11, 09:10 PM
Whoa. It seems that I dropped the ball on watching this forum.

I've edited Walker In The Darkness, to be somewhat more reasonable, without the exploit.

Reflex saves now save you.

I've also taken the typo out of Phoenix of the Sun King.

Nebo_
2007-10-11, 09:34 PM
Your text and table don't match for spellcasting. According to the table, you don't get advancement at level 3, but the text contradicts that. Which is right?

Jaerc
2007-10-12, 03:49 PM
The table was correct, and now the text is too. Thanks!

Miraqariftsky
2007-10-13, 04:31 AM
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=25993
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48265&page=2

Hey Jaerc! Y'know, methinks your PrC is perfect for my character, Neshi the Far-Farer--- fighter/cleric of Horus-Re, and the last Templar Lightbriger of the forsaken fane of Sanctum. Mind if I propose your SotS to my DM sometime? :smallbiggrin:

Jaerc
2007-10-13, 08:02 PM
I mind not at all; this is on a public message board and for sharing. :smallcool:

Make sure you point out to him the Special requirement, so that he can ensure that you meet it.

Miraqariftsky
2007-10-14, 06:17 AM
Thousand thanks, bub.