PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some old random tables of unknown origin

InOtherworlds
2015-11-11, 03:57 AM
Hello! I'm looking to track down any information on some really old tables that my old group use to use for character creation in DND, though I'm not certain that was their original purpose. Our old DM had these charts in a series of small, black and white, paper bound booklets, maybe 6" x 8" in size if that. I don't know what game they were for, but I do recall some of the results we had and what type of tables were there to roll on.

Eye color, had results like your eyes are actually rubies, no pupil, two colors in concentric rings, different in each eye, look like liquid metal, plus all the usual colors and other crazy stuff. Skin, had scaly, strange color 'x', stone, angelic fair, grows small gemstones, fish skin and what not. Hair was pretty standard with weird stuff like metal stands, changes color in certain light, always on fire, etcetera. The scar chart was pretty standard. Their was a birth mark chart too.

Other than that most of the results were also keyed to additional abilities like dark vision direction sense, gold finding, magics, class abilities, stat bonuses, whatever. The only clue I remember as to what system they might have been for was that some of them would say something to the effect of 'plus three to your attack' but not reference any known 3.5 stat we used at the time.

These lists were obviously pretty nuts at times but we always had fun with them. So I'm trying to track them down since I don't have contact with the old DM. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'll answer any questions I can. Thanks!

Mutazoia
2015-11-11, 12:02 PM
Hello! I'm looking to track down any information on some really old tables that my old group use to use for character creation in DND, though I'm not certain that was their original purpose. Our old DM had these charts in a series of small, black and white, paper bound booklets, maybe 6" x 8" in size if that. I don't know what game they were for, but I do recall some of the results we had and what type of tables were there to roll on.

Eye color, had results like your eyes are actually rubies, no pupil, two colors in concentric rings, different in each eye, look like liquid metal, plus all the usual colors and other crazy stuff. Skin, had scaly, strange color 'x', stone, angelic fair, grows small gemstones, fish skin and what not. Hair was pretty standard with weird stuff like metal stands, changes color in certain light, always on fire, etcetera. The scar chart was pretty standard. Their was a birth mark chart too.

Other than that most of the results were also keyed to additional abilities like dark vision direction sense, gold finding, magics, class abilities, stat bonuses, whatever. The only clue I remember as to what system they might have been for was that some of them would say something to the effect of 'plus three to your attack' but not reference any known 3.5 stat we used at the time.

These lists were obviously pretty nuts at times but we always had fun with them. So I'm trying to track them down since I don't have contact with the old DM. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'll answer any questions I can. Thanks!

Back in the hay-day of gaming, everybody and their grandmother were cranking out their own 3rd party supplements. From your description of the production values, the exact book you are looking for was probably a one shot, locally produced product that has long since gone the way of the dodo.

However, there is a more main-stream (if you can call it that) product that does pretty much exactly the same kind of thing, by Central Casting. They did a total of 4 such books: Heroes of Legend, for medieval/fantasy characters. Heroes Now, for "modern" gaming (think Spy Craft), and Heroes for Tomorrow, for Sci-Fi characters, and Dungeons for generating...well....dungeons.

The books have long since gone out of print, although you can still find them floating around here and there. I would not suggest the Amazon listing, as they are asking more than the book cost when it was brand new, but a simple google search will turn up a few places to get them (with much better pricing).