PDA

View Full Version : Need help filling out ideas

DMcCoy1693
2007-05-30, 07:40 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the homebrew scene and need some assistance from the "experts." I want to come up with my own setting (tired of adjusting my vision to what a book says without certain players whining about it being different from what the book says). Normally, my first response is "talk to your players." I have already and they pretty much all said, "If you want to run it, we are so there. We don't care what it is." The general concencus is Fantasy and not d20. I've pretty much decided d6 Fantasy (WEG Star Wars, 2nd ed retooled for fantasy). But beyond that, my players haven't been much help.

I don't want to run a mid-magic setting (i.e. D&D where some players have access to magic and some don't and magic wielders end up being super humans and the non-magic wielders are pathetic). So I'm looking at either a high-magic setting where everyone readily has access to magic equally (i.e. exalted, but not that high powered), a low magic setting (magic is limited to magic items and magic places that everyone can use equally), or a no magic setting (i.e. pirates of the carrabbian, count of monte cristo, etc). I'd like to hear what you feel are the pros/cons of the three (high-, low-, or no-magic).

I have a few ideas for general setting, but I don't LOVE any of them. Here's what I got (feel free to give suggestions to help fill out the idea or present a new idea):
1) Fish out of Water: Based on Yankee in King Arther's Court, Erfworld, the old D&D cartoon, etc where the players are from the modern era and start the game being sucked into a fantasy setting.
2) Dream Wielders (high/low magic only): Players are in a magical world where they can turn their dreams into item that power their magic.
3) Defenders of the Crown: Based on 3 Muskateers, The Mummy (yes the bad movie with Brendan Fraser), etc where the players are in an orginization either the royalty or a secret or etc.

So anyone have any suggestions??? Thanks in advance.

Matthew
2007-06-11, 01:38 PM
I like option number number three. D6 Star Wars is a fun system, not sure how you'd go adapting it to Fantasy, but I suppose it must be possible. Biggest problem is going to be magic and spells, for sure. Are you sure you wouldn't be happier playing Ars Magicka? (you can download the core rules for free) :smallwink:

Umarth
2007-06-11, 03:44 PM
I've got a low magic high fantisy world written up that I'd love to have someone run games in and let me know how it worked out.

I've run two campaigns using the rules so far. First one got up to 17th before we stopped and the current one is at level 6 with no balance issues so far.

If your intrested shoot me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll forward the documents for it over.

Matthew
2007-06-15, 06:41 PM
Umarth, are those low magic/power rules you have made up or just a setting?