PDA

View Full Version : Oath of Humility Paladin?

SliceandDiceKid
2015-11-11, 08:28 AM
I had this idea for a character I want to play: Gilberto, the most humble paladin in the land. He would be slightly clumsy at times, and is somewhat distracted by pomp and fanfare. He says common is not his native language, and therefore refers to others as "commoners" (often unintentionally offending others). His claim to humility was established as a young man, when he organized a humility contest at his monastery, where he believed the announcement to have been broadcast via word of mouth and fliers he asked his roommate to mail to all the surrounding towns. He thinks that because he competed unopposed, he has a claim to the title.

I'm looking for a Homebrew oath of humility. Preferably something I won't shatter whilst role playing Gilberto, but I'm also interested to see what y'all can throw together. Thanks in advance for the input! :)

Douche
2015-11-11, 10:53 AM
Is that supposed to be ironic? Like, he's bragging that he's the most humble in all the land, but bragging about it thus makes him not humble?

Kinda goes along with the fact that calling everyone commoners makes it seem like he's talking down to them, even though he doesn't seem to realize it.

SliceandDiceKid
2015-11-11, 10:59 AM
Is that supposed to be ironic? Like, he's bragging that he's the most humble in all the land, but bragging about it thus makes him not humble?

Kinda goes along with the fact that calling everyone commoners makes it seem like he's talking down to them, even though he doesn't seem to realize it.

Yes. It is intended to be ironic. I enjoy lightening the mood at the table.

bardo
2015-11-11, 12:10 PM
Oath of Devotion and refluff the tenets? I don't see such a character living up to an actual oath of humility since he doesn't understand the first thing about humility.

Bardo.

djreynolds
2015-11-12, 03:17 AM
I don't want to change your idea, or do something else done. But here are some ideas.

1, A funny curse---a mix of barbarian/druidish/paladin when drinking he believes he has transformed into a wildshape, like bear. He has on just plain clothes and gains the barbarians unarmored defense only then when in a stupor believing he is a bear and he unknowingly smites people with his bites and fists, which only do in damage his strength modifier.

2, introduce some chaos---- on a roll by the DM/GM, he must help whoever the die is for, as if compelled to do so for so many rounds at a time.

3, serious--- he was traumatized at a young age, and when he sees any sort of poverty or harm, he lashes out in a furious rage, but during this time he acts out like a barbarian and if he is wearing any armor during this "rage" subtract his dex and con from his AC. But during this rage he can reckless attack only and will use all of his smites up.