PDA

View Full Version : Faceless Mask [CR 8 undead outsider]

Vrel
2007-05-30, 10:35 AM
Here's my first attempt at a homebrew. Chrek gave me some (a lot) of assistance on it, so now i bring it to you all for examination!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Before you stands a giant of a man. He wears a white mask which only serves to enhance the deep blue of his eyes. The warm fingers of song draw you closer to the man...

[Faceless Mask]
Large Undead (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 10d12 (60)
Init: +2
Speed: 30 ft.
Armor Class: 17 (-1 size, +2 dex, +6 Natural); Touch 11; flatfooted 15;
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+13(+5 base +4 str + 4 large)
Attack: Bite: +9 1d8+2 claw: +9 1d6+4 ranged claw: +7 1d6+2
Full attack: bite: +7 (1d8+2 19-20x2) claw: x2 +7 (1d6+4)
Space/Reach: 5/5 ft
Special Qualities: Augmented Critical (bite), Shadow Immersion, ranged claw, Charm, Devour Soul
Saves: Fort (object only) +1; reflex +3; will +6;
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 14, Con --, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 16
Skills: (I am still working on the skills.. having trouble finding what I can give him.
Feats: Improved init: Frightful presence.
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge rating: 8
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral Evil/Chatoic Evil
Advancement: None

Shadow Immersion (Su): Once per day the Faceless Mask may retreat into a nearby shadow large enough to contain it's body. The Shadow appears to engulf the creature and replicate into many clones of the Faceless Mask. Shadow Immersion creates 1d4+1 Faceless Clones and invokes an attack of opportunity. When the Faceless Mack is destroyed all Faceless Clones cease to exist.

[Faceless Clone]
Large Illusion
Hit Die:4d6 (15 HP)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 Squares)
Armor Class: 17 (-1 size, +2 dex, +6 Natural); Touch 11; flatfooted 15;
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/ +0
Attack: Claw +2 melee (1d4)
Full Attack: Claw +2 melee (1d4)x2
Space/Reach: 10/ 10ft.
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +9, Will +6
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 16
Skills: Hide +15 (in dark areas)
feats: None
Challenge Rating: 3

Charm (Su): The Faceless Mask calls to it's victims from afar with song. With the intended victim see the Faceless Mask, they must make a Will save (DC 15) or become entranced by it.

Devour Soul: The Faceless mask wraps itself around its victim and drains it's soul very slowly. Consuming a soul gives the Faceless mask +2 to all saves and +2 to attack and damage rolls. Consuming a soul takes 10 rounds to complete, and any physical interruption will break the creatures hold on its victim.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Faceless clone stats are fudged. Giving them Large Base attack and Large Damage would increase their CR and I didn’t want to do that. It would make the encounter too difficult. Any suggestions?

Forevergrey
2007-05-30, 11:20 AM
Most likely just an oversight, but the clone is an intelligent creature, while the parent creature is mindless? The shadow immersion tactic also suggests the creature has at least some cognitive activity going on.

Vrel
2007-05-30, 11:51 AM
yes, Complete oversight. I am adjusting it now. the creatures are both intelligent.

Realms of Chaos
2007-05-30, 02:23 PM
looking at the bloodfiend and abyssal ghoul, from the fiend folio, you should probably give it just the undead type with the (extraplanar) subtype.

The simple truth is, there are no outsider undead.

The aforementioned bloodfiend is the closest example to one (it is a fiend-equivelant vampire) and it just has the undead type.

Generally speaking, undead have a body but no soul while the outsider body and soul are connected. See the problem?

Due to the lack of information, I don't even know what plane this thing had come from. If you don't feel like adding fluff, try an earlier approach to this problem by putting its native plane in parenthesis after its environment.

Also, you gave the illusion a constitution score. Lacking any metabolism, I think that might have just been an oversight on your part.

How is this thing created in the multiverse?

I need some information, but your concept seems sound.

DracoDei
2007-05-30, 04:02 PM
The clones have higher wisdom than the main one?
What percentage of a clone's damage is negated if it is disbeleived? Also, Illusion isn't an existing creature type and I don't see sufficient reason for creating a new one (for one thing it is cheesy to the poor rangers). Probably should have the same type as the base creature since it looks, and presumably fights, like one.

aaron_the_cow
2007-05-30, 04:08 PM
might whant to add how it dose combat, but you don't have to.

Vrel
2007-06-05, 08:31 AM
The Wisdom Score was an oversight, the con Score for the illusions was just a plain mistake on my part. I had intended to add Combat style and rework the monster type a bit. Fluff will be added, but i have been in texas for the last several days, preventing me from adding to it. Thanks for the insight so far.

Khoran
2007-06-05, 08:59 AM
Creatures can't be an Undead Outsiders. They're either Undead or Outsider. However, you could do Undead (Augmented Outsider) or Outsider (Augemented Undead). but you can't have two creature types.