PDA

View Full Version : M&M going oriental, some advice please.

YPU
2007-05-30, 10:46 AM
So, I have been playing a lot of oriental style games of late, as well as watching some movies and the like. So, it hit me the mutants and masterminds extremely customizable point system fits real nice into a martial arts style fantasy game. Just to give you an impression of what sort of style I am talking about I will give some stereotypes I was thinking about:
Martial artist: the stereotypical bare breast tough guy who has a dragon tattooed al over his torso and arms. A high strength as well as dex. Strike of course. And either electricity or fire control, to ad that focused chi element to his strikes, and of course the fire ball, lightning strike.
Samurai: a load of armor and a shield as well as a large weapon. The tank of the team.
The magician: wearing a big straw hat and either darkness or hellfire control this guy made a deal with the devil and has some very nice tricks up his sleeve.
The ninja: do I even need to ad anything? Perhaps darkness control, and some scary sneaky tricks like poses for instance.
Is this a good idea, or are there pitfalls I haven’t thought of.
And my biggest question what power level should this be, I really cant decide, something like 7 or 8 perhaps?

BardicDuelist
2007-05-30, 01:50 PM
This would work well (and I blieve that in one of the M&M editions there was a martial arts archetype character). I would start with PL 10, as is normal, but if you want to go lower, just see what you can lose. It would probably be less than "super" powered, given the fact that they are in general regular people, but I think going any lower than six would be very hard to deal with given the structure of the game.

On a side note, samurai typically do not use shields. There are exceptions, but if you are going for an archetype, they ride on a horse and carry a katana.

YPU
2007-05-30, 02:45 PM
yea, i did some test builds and found that pl10 realy works best. anything else and you go below something that feels like a real masterful martial art. yea, the samurai wasn't suposed to be steriotype samurai but more the armored tank stereotype i would inmagine in this sort of game.