PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A How do wands/rods/staffs work?

Douche
2015-11-11, 12:30 PM
Noob here, I've seen a lot of mentions throughout different editions on this forum and in campaign journals, but I never understood how they work.

What are the requirements for using a wand/staff/etc?
How do charges work? Is the wand rendered useless when you run out, or can you recharge it? How would you go about doing that?
Lastly, I heard that you can't craft or buy wands or scrolls anymore. So you just have to rely on your DM to give them to you as loot?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is common knowledge but I didn't see anything about it in the PHB, and the internet isn't a very useful source when looking up straight rules and mechanics, in my experience.

hymer
2015-11-11, 12:43 PM

These are noted at the individual items. Anyone can use a Wand of Magic Missile, e.g., but a Staff of of Fire can only be used by a druid, sorcerer, warlock or wizard who has attuned to it.

How do charges work?

Various functions of items have various costs in charges. Every time you use such a function, you reduce the number of charges in the item by the corresponding amount. If that would reduce the amount to less than 0, you can't use that function.

Is the wand rendered useless when you run out, or can you recharge it? How would you go about doing that?

Items with charges tend to recharge over time, as indicated by the item's description. No special action is required. There is a variant rule, in which the number of charges in a wand is higher, but it never recharges.

Lastly, I heard that you can't craft or buy wands or scrolls anymore.

There is a downtime activity which lets you create magical items (DMG p. 128). The DM may or may not allow it.

So you just have to rely on your DM to give them to you as loot?

Unless your campaign world has magic shops, auctions or similar. And you can, of course, try to track down specific items. The Sage background could be particularly helpful there.

JakOfAllTirades
2015-11-12, 02:45 AM
Also, make sure your rod/staff/wand is pointed the right direction when you say the magic word, or you'll have a really bad day.

JackPhoenix
2015-11-12, 09:02 AM
Items with charges tend to recharge over time, as indicated by the item's description. No special action is required. There is a variant rule, in which the number of charges in a wand is higher, but it never recharges.

Some wands have a chance to crumble to dust after depleting all charges, but still recharge if that doesn't happens. See the individual items for details

Safety Sword
2015-11-12, 05:31 PM
Lastly, I heard that you can't craft or buy wands or scrolls anymore. So you just have to rely on your DM to give them to you as loot?

Can I just note that even if there are magic items shops in your campaign you are relying on your DM to "hand them out" - even if you front up the gold at the shop. Not all shops have all items, the distribution of loot is still in the DMs control.

Fwiffo86
2015-11-12, 06:12 PM
I really just wanted to say... they work by magic!

Wands/Staves/Rods are useable only by those that have the spells in question on their spell list. If they can cast them (meaning they have learned/prepped them) is not relevant, only that it is on the list.

Charges are explained in each item description, as well as the time when those charges replenish.

Crafting rules are in the DMG sortof. The recipe to make a magic item is one category more rare than the item itself. Crafting rules break down gp / day as before. Ex) 10 days to make a healing potion.

Tanarii
2015-11-12, 06:19 PM
Also, make sure your rod/staff/wand is pointed the right direction when you say the magic word, or you'll have a really bad day.First rule of wizardry: Always point the staff's knob on the end away from you before it discharges.

Slipperychicken
2015-11-13, 12:39 AM
Also, make sure your rod/staff/wand is pointed the right direction when you say the magic word, or you'll have a really bad day.

Now I want a wand of fireballs, bearing a label that reads "Point Toward Enemy".

JakOfAllTirades
2015-11-13, 04:47 AM
Now I want a wand of fireballs, bearing a label that reads "Point Toward Enemy".

A lot of greatswords from the Highlands already have that warning label, for some reason.

Regitnui
2015-11-13, 05:41 AM
A lot of greatswords from the Highlands already have that warning label, for some reason.

I heard of a dwarven barbarian who had chiseled onto the front of the warhammer "your face here".

Safety Sword
2015-11-14, 03:56 PM

I think I'm about the make an OH&S dungeon...

Thrudd
2015-11-14, 06:32 PM
Noob here, I've seen a lot of mentions throughout different editions on this forum and in campaign journals, but I never understood how they work.

How do charges work? Is the wand rendered useless when you run out, or can you recharge it? How would you go about doing that?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is common knowledge but I didn't see anything about it in the PHB, and the internet isn't a very useful source when looking up straight rules and mechanics, in my experience.

It depends on the edition of the game you are playing. It will not be in the PHB because they are special magic items which are under the purview of the DM. When and if your character finds one, the DM will reveal how it works, either by just telling you, or preferably by letting you experiment with it.

Regitnui
2015-11-15, 01:00 AM
preferably by letting you experiment with it.

"It appears to be a wand of burning hands. Also, you've managed to set the dwarf's beard on fire."

Slipperychicken
2015-11-15, 01:36 AM
When and if your character finds one, the DM will reveal how it works, either by just telling you, or preferably by letting you experiment with it.

You learn everything you need to know about an item in one of three ways:

Identify spell, legend lore, or similar
Attuning to the item
"Experimenting"

Experimentation is your last option, carrying risks like wasting charges, potentially getting cursed or damaged, and not learning all of an item's features. It should only be attempted when both nobody can cast Identify, and the DM invoked his power to make you waste time and charges figuring it out. Even then you should be responsible. Any time you try to use a new magic item, do so in safety (i.e. not in an area that has random encounters) while supervised by other PCs (25+ feet away is a safe distance, being outside of a potential blast radius but still able to rush to your aid within a round), especially ones with healing and Remove Curse prepared. Also, don't point the item at anything unless you're okay with everything within 20ft of that object being destroyed. Precautions like these will help you minimize the potential damage.