PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Spell-less Bard for 5e and Primeval Thule

Psikerlord
2015-11-12, 12:41 AM
Hi all,

I had a go at making a spell-less Bard to better fit into low magic worlds such as Primeval Thule:

http://dndhackersguild.weebly.com/blog/spell-less-bard-for-dnd-5e-and-primeval-thule

I'd really appreciate any feedback you would like to give.

Note this is a single class and subclass rolled into one: charisma based, temp hps, buffing, fighting and some quirky obscure lore based abilities.

Would you play this class in a low magic setting?

Cheers

M Placeholder
2015-11-12, 10:02 PM
I would play it. Perhaps add features from the rogue class instead of the fighting one, and for Dark Sun setting, have a Bard that is skilled in the handling and applications of poisons. Very skilled.

Arkhios
2015-11-29, 04:47 AM
I should've guessed someone had already done it, when I began tinkering with the very same idea; Spell-less Bard! Dagnabit! :smallbiggrin:

I like this, though I wouldn't have changed the hit die nor have it based it on Fighter class, but in the end those are minor details. Neither would I give Extra Attack to all bards. Rather I would replace additional magical secrets with something that's more weighted in lore, and let Valor Bards gain it at 6th level as normal. :EDIT: Also, with the previous in mind, I don't see a problem dropping Unifying Will to 5th level, since Bardic Inspiration already resets at short rest from the beginning (with which I agree 100%).

With a bit of rules text format unifying* when compared to PHB, and this will be great in my eyes!

Biggest concern I have with the fighter-bard hybrid-esque is that would anyone want to play a fighter when there's also this available? I'm inclined to believe that all the abilities bard gets in this iteration might mean more than having a few extra attacks more...

*such as Battle Inspiration = Combat Inspiration (of Valor) or Cutting Phrase = Cutting Words (of Lore). There's really no need to change the features' names just because making a variant class, if their core function remains the same.

1Forge
2015-12-01, 03:38 PM
Great idea! I'd use this as another archtype with a few tweaks. I used a home brew class similar to this where I mixed swashbuckler (using the UA version) and bard to achieve a more rogue like version. Still good stuff and I liked the mimicry mechanic! (I may steal that).