PDA

View Full Version : Werewolves need armor too! [Misc. Skill Use]

ExHunterEmerald
2007-05-30, 01:35 PM
Breakaway Belts
They'd chased the monster for days. Each attempt on his life had been foiled, aided in no small part by the heavy breastplate that had turned aside dozens of potential killing blows. But finally they'd caught the beast on the night of the moon.

Imagine their surprise, Isaac thought in his last few moments of clarity before the curse overtook him, when the armor changed with him.

There are numerous solutions to the "problem" of armor during a lycanthropic shift. Some went to magic, and others went to more pragmatic solutions.

Breakaway belts are one of the more simple innovations that's proven effective. They come in two varieties.

Breakaway Belts
Breakaway belts are useful in several ways, but the general purpose is to release armor hastily. Werecreatures with armor they don't want damaged often replace the normal straps on their armor with them--during a change, the belts simply snap and release the armor shell, preventing harm to the gear.
Though easy to produce and easier to design, the long-term costs of using breakaway belts is
Using a breakaway built outside of a lycanthrope
The user may voluntarily snap the belts as part of a move action to remove his armor.

Sliding Belts
Though called a form of breakaway belt, this is a misnomer. These complex bands actually slip their notches when force is applied to them in a certain way, loosening. Lycanthropes and size-changers almost exclusively create and use these.

Armor with Belts
When a lycanthrope in breakaway belts changes size categories(upwards) his armor will simply slough off.
When using sliding belts, the lycanthrope's armor will remain on him and undamaged as the belts loosen. He retains any bonuses his armor provides.

To craft a breakaway belt, one must make a Craft (Leatherworking) check and have leather scraps worth twenty gp, as well as crafting tools. If they're designed to simply break, the crafter must only make two checks. The first is DC 15, to craft the belts. The second is DC 15 plus the base (non-magical bonus) AC of the armor he is applying the belts to. If the first check succeeds and the second fails, he's created the belts, but been unable to properly apply them to his armor to function right.
If the second check fails by five or more, he's damaged some of the belts attempting to work them onto the armor, and must spend half the required materials again, as well as remaking the DC 15 craft check.

To craft a sliding belt, the process is similar, but the checks are DC 20 and DC 20 plus double the base AC of the armor he is applying them to.

Most of those who use breakaway belts design them themselves, because the costs of replacing them (and the questions that might be raised as to why so many are used) can be prohibitive.

BardicDuelist
2007-05-30, 01:54 PM
Is the armor damaged if the straps are not properly applied? Are the straps? Is there a penalty for trying again or taking twenty?

Kyace
2007-05-30, 02:54 PM
The Arms and Equipment guide has "quick-escape" armor, which at the cost of taking much longer to don, can be removed by a standard action. Instead of being lycanthrope, the reason giving in the book for such armor is water travel and falling overboard. It also comments on the armor being hard but possible for rogues to trigger the quick-escape lock to make the armor fall off during combat. If the belt armor falls off on its own during shapeshifting, it may be possible to knock the armor off of a foe during combat.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-05-30, 03:02 PM
I was under the impression that shapeshifting melds your gear into your new form...

Moonlight
Armor Property: +1 Bonus
Effect: A boon to Lycanthropes, Moonlight Armor or shields remains with the wearer when he takes his full animal form, giving it's full armor bonus.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-30, 03:33 PM
I was under the impression that shapeshifting melds your gear into your new form...

Polymorph does but I think Lycanthropy is differant.

DracoDei
2007-05-30, 03:43 PM
If you are getting bigger some gaps are almost inevitable... lose a few points of AC sez I...
And what is this about them not wanting others to know? A natural born werebear or wereboar might be very open about his status, and certainly enough to trust someone who is designing an object (armor) specifically meant to save the users life... and wererats are social enough that they would easily have a dedicated armorer in the group.

levi
2007-05-30, 04:46 PM
I'd say that Wild armor would work for lycanthropes (or any other shapechager) just as well as it does for Wild Shaping Druids. Even if it didn't, a similar effect could. In either case, the Moonlight armor ability posted above is grossly undercosted by comparison.

Wild: The wearer of a suit of armor or a shield with this ability preserves his armor bonus (and any enhancement bonus) while in a wild shape. Armor and shields with this ability usually appear to be made covered in leaf patterns. While the wearer is in a wild shape, the armor cannot be seen.

Moderate transmutation; CL 9th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, baleful polymorph; Price +3 bonus.

DracoDei
2007-05-30, 05:04 PM
To my understanding magical armor resizes to fit its wearer... ergo the "Moonlight" quality is redundant since any magical armor will follow through a thereanthropic(sp?) (lycanthropes are ONLY werewolves I don't care what the MM says it is wrong!) transformation. I ran a campaign based around psuedo-thereanthropic characters and made a big deal about each player getting one suit of magical clothing... which did absolutely nothing other than BE magical and thus have the basic property of resizing with its wearer.

jindra34
2007-05-30, 05:07 PM
To my understanding magical armor resizes to fit its wearer... ergo the "Moonlight" quality is redundant since any magical armor will follow through a thereanthropic(sp?) (lycanthropes are ONLY werewolves I don't care what the MM says it is wrong!) transformation. I ran a campaign based around psuedo-thereanthropic characters and made a big deal about each player getting one suit of magical clothing... which did absolutely nothing other than BE magical and thus have the basic property of resizing with its wearer.

I believe resizing requires the wearer to maintain a similar posture and body layout as to the thing the armor was designed for.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-05-30, 06:14 PM
To my understanding magical armor resizes to fit its wearer... ergo the "Moonlight" quality is redundant since any magical armor will follow through a thereanthropic(sp?) (lycanthropes are ONLY werewolves I don't care what the MM says it is wrong!) transformation. I ran a campaign based around psuedo-thereanthropic characters and made a big deal about each player getting one suit of magical clothing... which did absolutely nothing other than BE magical and thus have the basic property of resizing with its wearer.Magical armor does not resize to fit wearers, Giant-sized armor does not shrink to fit halflings. Technically, Medium sized armor doesn't resize to match each wearer, most DMs just aren't willing to waste play time having players get armors refitted in town. The items that are "supposed" to resize are Rings and Amulets, as they are worn items with no expressed "size" in game terms.
As for Werecreatures; In Hybrid form yes it does resize to fit but in animal form it blends in.

You are right in saying Lycanthropy comes from referring to wolves, and in "real mythology" it only refers to werewolves. But MM lycanthropes are different from real-world lycanthropes (shall we even get started on Gorgons?) so the MM isn't wrong, just different.