PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of writing a 5E megadungeon - anyone intrested?

Malifice
2015-11-12, 02:14 AM
So I'm thinking about writing a 5E megadungeon.

Whats thoughts on them generally? Do you use them?

djreynolds
2015-11-12, 03:00 AM
What's a megadungeon?

gullveig
2015-11-12, 08:19 AM
Yo dawg! I herd u like dungeon, so I put dungeon in yur dungeon so u can raid dungeon while u in megadungeon!

kaoskonfety
2015-11-12, 08:28 AM
Yo dawg! I herd u like dungeon, so I put dungeon in yur dungeon so u can raid dungeon while u in megadungeon!

Basically this is a mega-dungeon.

Generally anything that's "enclosed" and "big enough to run most of your good sized campaign in" could qualify. I'm pretty sure the 'Mega-dungeon' term does not have a firm definition, but I've generally seen the title applied to the "level one advancing all the way to level 15-20 slug-fest meat-grinders".

Maps take up multiple tables and the book ranges from the size of a setting book (because that's what they are) to the size of a large encyclopaedia.

I do not use them per-se. I've run a few settings that they were present. But my players either didn't become aware of them (didn't like the sound of the hook quests, took other options) or opted for easier loot options once the "This is hell and all the demons are here" became obvious

JackPhoenix
2015-11-12, 08:53 AM
I actually thought about porting 3.5 World's Largest Dungeon to 5e, but as there won't be any opportunity to play it with my group in the foreseeable future, I decided it's too much effort for no purpose.

Malifice
2015-11-12, 09:42 AM
I actually thought about porting 3.5 World's Largest Dungeon to 5e, but as there won't be any opportunity to play it with my group in the foreseeable future, I decided it's too much effort for no purpose.

I'll stat up the first few levels and post it on here.

M Placeholder
2015-11-12, 10:12 AM
I am.

First Idea - have parts of the dungeon exist in two different dimensions at once. That should make the dungeon a lot bigger. For example, have a section that exists in the Plane of Shadow as well as the material plane, and the features change between the two depending on an action.

Second Idea - Have lots of twisty sections, and have a labythine part of the dungeon (Minotaur optional). Increase surface area (so to speak).

Third Idea - Have the background story of the Dungeon include some detail on how kobolds used to inhabit it. That way, lots of traps, chokepoints and murderholes.

JNAProductions
2015-11-12, 11:10 AM
I like it. Would play in it.

Malifice
2015-11-12, 11:22 AM
I am.

First Idea - have parts of the dungeon exist in two different dimensions at once. That should make the dungeon a lot bigger. For example, have a section that exists in the Plane of Shadow as well as the material plane, and the features change between the two depending on an action.

Second Idea - Have lots of twisty sections, and have a labythine part of the dungeon (Minotaur optional). Increase surface area (so to speak).

Third Idea - Have the background story of the Dungeon include some detail on how kobolds used to inhabit it. That way, lots of traps, chokepoints and murderholes.

Thats my current starting point. 'What' the dungeon is, and funny/ clever/ unique hooks to make it work.

Once I have that the rest will fall into place.

Current plans are:

Option 1: Undermountain or some kind of 'new' megadungeon that has popped up due to the Aber/ Toril split (end of the spellplague). Faurun is the dedicated setting after all.

Thinking that a remnant of Aber has stuck around after the sundering. A planar rift that contains a megadungeon.

Option 2: A setting neutral dungeon that can be slotted in anywhere.

KorvinStarmast
2015-11-12, 12:46 PM
Thats my current starting point. 'What' the dungeon is, and funny/ clever/ unique hooks to make it work.

Once I have that the rest will fall into place.

Current plans are:

Option 1: Undermountain or some kind of 'new' megadungeon that has popped up due to the Aber/ Toril split (end of the spellplague). Faurun is the dedicated setting after all.

Thinking that a remnant of Aber has stuck around after the sundering. A planar rift that contains a megadungeon.

Option 2: A setting neutral dungeon that can be slotted in anywhere.
Suggest Option 2.

So tempting to offer a mini level ... but that way lies madness. (eyes with fear the number of notebooks in the upper closet shelves, all of which are stuffed with old hand made dungeons at various stages of completion ....)

kaoskonfety
2015-11-12, 12:50 PM
Suggest Option 2.

So tempting to offer a mini level ... but that way lies madness. (eyes with fear the number of notebooks in the upper closet shelves, all of which are stuffed with old hand made dungeons at various stages of completion ....)

When I last moved I left all of these types of half-baked notes books behind. I have NO idea what any random person moving in, trying to make sense of them, would think.

KorvinStarmast
2015-11-12, 01:38 PM
I have NO idea what any random person moving in, trying to make sense of them, would think. As I said, that way lies madness ... MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!

Malifice
2015-11-13, 12:14 AM
Suggest Option 2.

Ill take you up on that.

Will get a theme up over the weekend, and post it for critique first.

djreynolds
2015-11-13, 02:32 AM
Is this similar to like "UnderMountain" and you could literally go from level 1 to level 10 and never leave there.

Osrogue
2015-11-13, 10:28 AM
You could make it an escape thing. The PCs have always lived in the confines of City, which sits on an interesting geological or magical phenomenon that allows it to exist in the super dungeon, and exploring outside the city, into the dungeon beyond could be the goal.

Inevitability
2015-11-13, 12:18 PM
[EVERYONE PART OF MY CAMPAIGN, DON'T READ THIS. SERIOUSLY, DON'T]

The next campaign I'm running is going to be megadungeon focused, and is split into several 'branches'. The first room of the dungeon will give access to all branches, with each one described by a single word. The twist is that every word is in a different language, which is somewhat related to the branch.

I also find rival adventuring parties to work well in having the players move faster. Nothing hurts like entering a treasure room to find it completely looted.

SarcasticDom
2015-11-13, 12:26 PM
An idea for a mega-dungeon I've had in my mind for a while that I think would be quite cool would be some kind of super-Colleseum. The party, as well as several other groups of adventurers/fighters/whatevers are released on the lowest floor of the dungeon. Each party must survive and make their way to the end zone of each floor to rise to the next whilst their exploits are being broadcasted magically. Your party could come across other parties along the way and decided whether to work together or fight them. Each end zone of each dungeon level could be unique and each level could be enchanted to simulate different enviroments. For a twist, when all but one of the surviving parites clear a level, the remaining party gets swamped by monsters. Another element could be sponsors who help partys and individuals.

KorvinStarmast
2015-11-13, 01:24 PM
Ill take you up on that.

Will get a theme up over the weekend, and post it for critique first.OK, what format do you need things produced in?

djreynolds
2015-11-22, 03:11 AM
Yes I'm interested. What now? I'm an idiot, so do not keep me in suspense.

Malifice
2015-11-22, 10:39 AM
Yes I'm interested. What now? I'm an idiot, so do not keep me in suspense.

Having troubles with converting maps on PDF.

Any ideas?

djreynolds
2015-11-25, 04:00 AM
Can save the image with a screen shot? That might work.

Malifice
2016-08-09, 11:01 PM
I sidelined the idea due to Savage Rifts Kickstarter, but will get back onto it soon.

Im trying to make it setting neutral, which is a little hard from a meta position.

SilverStud
2016-08-09, 11:48 PM
I could enjoy this. PM me and tell me what I can help with.

gfishfunk
2016-08-10, 10:05 AM
I started planning out my normal campaign as a mega-dungeon, where parts are not interconnected.

Its not a megadungeon at all, but I planned it out as if it were a megaduneon. When my current campaign ends, I will likely design a true megadungeon for the giggles.

NecroDancer
2016-08-10, 10:11 AM
Make sure you give PCs grid paper to help them map it out, it will save you a lot of headaches.

Gastronomie
2016-08-10, 10:52 AM
Thread necromancy~~~

The concept itself is cool, though.

gfishfunk
2016-08-10, 11:26 AM
Make sure you give PCs grid paper to help them map it out, it will save you a lot of headaches.

What I was doing was creating 2 separate roll20 accounts - the Normal Map and the Overall Map.

The Overall Map was zoomed out (1 block = 20') and had the correct room dimensions already in place but was otherwise blank. The PCs can jump over (keeping both roll20 maps active) and make map notes to track progress. Additionally, I keep GM notes on the Overall Map, which has a GM info overlay that the players cannot see.

Oh yeah, look at the timestamps on the thread necromancy. Eh.

Malifice
2016-08-10, 11:28 AM
I started planning out my normal campaign as a mega-dungeon, where parts are not interconnected.

Its not a megadungeon at all, but I planned it out as if it were a megaduneon. When my current campaign ends, I will likely design a true megadungeon for the giggles.

No spoilers yet but that's the current plan. There is a story behind the dungeon.

PCs uncover bits of the plot as they explore the various sections and levels. There are also a few unconnected bonus levels. PCs can engage with the plot or ignore it.

I'm mapping it out (story and broad levels) as we speak. Also tying it in to all major world's and campaign settings plus advice for generic campaign worlds.

Basically you should be able to drop it into any published setting from Golarion to Greyhawk to Faerun to Eberron.

djreynolds
2016-08-11, 02:15 AM
No spoilers yet but that's the current plan. There is a story behind the dungeon.

PCs uncover bits of the plot as they explore the various sections and levels. There are also a few unconnected bonus levels. PCs can engage with the plot or ignore it.

I'm mapping it out (story and broad levels) as we speak. Also tying it in to all major world's and campaign settings plus advice for generic campaign worlds.

Basically you should be able to drop it into any published setting from Golarion to Greyhawk to Faerun to Eberron.

Yes, yes. I was looking on classic modules today dms guild. But I'm not sure how good they are. I would love to do Undermountain. We've almost finished CoS, maybe 2-3 more sessions and while I enjoyed it, well sometimes a sandbox can be to big. Too much back travel. To difficult to really institute the long and short rest cycle because of travel really and the mist.

Arkhios
2016-08-11, 02:53 AM
I'm currently running a homebrew campaign that's set in a big city, which is like a labyrinth itself, with multiple layers. It's in many ways like a megadungeon that consists of a above-ground city, below-ground city, and yet another city or two beneath them, basically a megadungeon on top of another. I'm beginning to realize it's more than a bit crazy project, but I'd be happy if I could have a map that covered to whole thing, from the bottom to ground up :smalltongue:

Malifice
2016-08-11, 03:38 AM
Yes, yes. I was looking on classic modules today dms guild. But I'm not sure how good they are. I would love to do Undermountain. We've almost finished CoS, maybe 2-3 more sessions and while I enjoyed it, well sometimes a sandbox can be to big. Too much back travel. To difficult to really institute the long and short rest cycle because of travel really and the mist.

The current metaplot is that [spolier alert] the Dungeon is not really a dungeon.

(Inspiration taken from Wrath of the Titans movie, and DnDs Titan lore including the planes of Arborea and Carceri and the oft hinted at canonical war in heaven between the Gods and their first children (before the celestials and fiends) the Empyreans, resulting in the 'evil' rebel Empyreans being imprisoned in Carceri, often [mistakenly] also called Tartarus)

The 'dungeon' is in fact this prison demi-plane. Tartarus. A sprawling dungeon and prison complex, that serves as the prison for a being of pure evil, the first of his kind to fall, and the general of the War in Heaven; the dread Empyrean Titan Thanatos.

The few entrances to the place are guarded across the multiverse by a mysterious cabal of Knights who (ages past) were sworn via a solemn pact to guard the few portals (or black gates) to this dread realm of no return.

More spoilers: The PCs start out captured and get tossed in by said Knights. The first level features the PCs stuck in the darkness with no equipment, and having to scavenge what supplies, weapons and equipment they can (and locate a safe haven to rest, a source of food and water etc).

From there the mega-dungeon campaign features them trying to uncover a way out, exploring the place, negotiating with (and slaying) the strange inhabitants of the demi-plane, and uncovering its true purpose (and dealing with several side plots and optional adventures on the way).

I made a design decision to have a self contained dungeon rather than a in/out foray style of megadungeon.

A few questions.

1) Thoughts on the above plot? Any holes I missed?

2) Thoughts on the decision to make the dungeon self contained rather than a dungeon you can come to, do a level or two, and leave? The main drawback is that the Dungeon becomes the campaign itself. This is also advantageous for the same reason though.

3) Thoughts on who these 'Knights' are? I can tie the Titan backsory into any campaign world that has them. I'd like to have the PCs sit down for the first session, and be blindsided by the 'youre all captured by some big bad scary dudes' and know instantly that being captured by this group is a big deal. I'd really like to tie them into published DnD settings also.

This concept was orginally planned for a redux of 'The Worlds Largest Dungeon' which I was planning for a Golarion campaing for Pathfinder. The Knights were the Hellknights of the order of the Gate.

Id like to be able to give some guidance at least on who these dudes are so the PCs are a little overawed by it all before getting tossed into the dungeon and forced to fend for themselves.

Im swaying on the concept TBH. Im leaning back towards just a dungeon like Nevermountain that you can enter and leave at will.

Sabeta
2016-08-11, 04:17 AM
1) Cannot say, as I don't know enough 5e lore nor any of the finer details of your story to make a judgement call. The setting sounds workable though, albeit not one that I would be particularly engaged in at the start.

2) Either way has its pros and cons as you missed. I've been trying to plan a Megadungeon for a while that has never taken off, but I would have allowed entry and exit from the dungeon (explanation below, because it's lore based). If players being able to freely leave would simply be impractical for the narrative, then just don't let them. Give them safe spots to rest at and let the constant fear and paranoia of "just how big is this place" and "what if a big monster shows up" keep building up. When the real world players start worrying about their characters you've done a good job imo.

3 You don't need to cover who the knights are right away. A bunch of bad looking guys wearing jet black armor with a red symbol of evil would pretty much let them know they're in some deep s*** without relying on big sounding names.

As for my own personal input. I am not interested in playing in this campaign, but I thought I would point out a favorite video-game of mine. The story of Etryian Odyssey is that there exists an absolute massive Tree at the center of the world called Yggdrasil (yes, we've been here before). Due to the trees enormity, most of the world population lives under it, as it's literally the most interesting thing in the world. Cue an earthquake, and a cavern opens up that leads underneath (and into) the tree. Upon entering you discover an entire forest. Dinosaurs, primal trees, maybe even a volcano just to really hammer in the scale of this place. After that the players work towards clearing it one stratum at a time while slowly uncovering the nature of the tree.

Spoilers here: In the Etrian Odyssey games, the fifth Stratum was called "Lost Shinjuku" and anyone familiar with Japan would be very alarmed by that. The bountiful forests, the sprawling deserts, and the primal jungle all pale in comparison to a familiar earth city suddenly appearing in your megadungeon. Scattered around are computer terminals that explain that the tree was created to cure the entire planet of nuclear radiation following atomic warfare.

In the games however, it was necessary to return to town and start over repeatedly. This time with much better equipment and items to make it progressively further. In this type of dungeon, I would allow the same thing, but instead I would give them a macguffin that let them leave and come back once per day or something.

Not trying to tell you how to run your campaign or anything, just thought I would mention my favorite one and see if it gives you any cool ideas. The Etrian Odyssey style could easily be ported over to UnderMountain version, anyway.

djreynolds
2016-08-11, 05:02 AM
1. Awesome, I do not care what anyone says, I love all of those Titan movies, even the original with Lawrence.

2. I like it, what you could add in is perhaps they have to cross the river Styx to get out or find it. Perhaps their is a whole kind of scavenger civilization down there full wizards and champions who cannot escape themselves. You add little history quests in there like level 10 is the Golden Fleece, etc.

3. The Knights could be, the "good" Cyclops who were too makers and actually did work with the gods, not the "bad" Cyclops involved with Odysseus. But both can be used and are very powerful.

Or you could make the knights the Trojans who escaped Troy when it was destroyed, like Aeneas and while crossing the sea got lost and must do this to get to Rome. Who knows I'm tired.

Or dead souls of warriors from the River Styx.

Malifice
2016-08-11, 06:34 AM
Not trying to tell you how to run your campaign or anything, just thought I would mention my favorite one and see if it gives you any cool ideas. The Etrian Odyssey style could easily be ported over to UnderMountain version, anyway.

Hey go for it.

Im in the mapping out phase at present, so any ideas I can incorprate into the plot are welcome.

Its the problem with megadungeons - after so many 30x30 stone rooms and 10' wide passages, it gets a bit rote.

You need to mix it up with engaging NPCs, stories, ideas and plots, and so forth to keep in intresting.

Hence why the fopening scene is system shock, and then a battle for survival. That should encompass levels 1-3 and from 3rd the PCs should be established in the dungeon and kick off from there. The story needs to change, (one level is the lair of warring factions, the next is a crazy teleportaion maze, the next has a story attached about some adventurers that have been there before, and the long term ramifications of their actions, recurring NPCs exist in the dungeon etc).

djreynolds
2016-08-11, 08:57 AM
It's off the wall, and probably not about this.
Imagine being conscripted into a Greek ARMY heading off to Troy.
The PCs only have a small portion in each story to complete. Perhaps the have to just take part in one piece of the battle. Perhaps they have to build the Trojan horse. Or they are another ship that lands with Odysseus or on another island. They not the main characters, just the guys in the background. Some missions have no combat, but foraging and construction or sailing etc...

Sabeta
2016-08-11, 11:42 AM
You could opt for a tower if terror if you have creativity to spare. Each floor is a standard dungeon size or smaller, but has upwards of a hundred floors.

Non Monster encounters, secret passages, perhaps even a village full of lost souls could also be used to add variety to the dungeon.