PDA

View Full Version : Rogash skullcleaver

Spacehamster
2015-11-12, 10:51 AM
So this is my character thought I would share him with you guys: 20/18/18/14/16/16 yes stats are insane and yes we used a veeeery lenient rolling method leading to everyone getting crazy good stats.

He is a half Orc level 6 champion fighter with a custom background wilderness scout (survival, stealth, thieves tools) took athletics and perception from fighter and polearm master and sentinel from ASI/feat.

He is much smarter then he lets on, quite paranoid and always on guard and only time he lets go of those behaviors is when he gets a stiff drink in his system. But now I got a question for you fine folks, already decided he will be in total level 11 champ, 1 rogue, 4 hunter and 4barb. But thought I would let you decide where to go from now(6 champ), got the main feats for his style of fighting so does not matter that much where to go. The suggestion for what class to pick of those I mentioned that gets the most votes gets picked(to go on with fighter right away is not an option). :)

Also not interested in suggestions for other mc combinations just the order which to take the classes I mentioned. :)

Spacehamster to infinity and beyond!

Spacehamster
2015-11-12, 11:42 AM
I'm leaning towards 1 rogue followed by the hunter ranger levels myself.

Shining Wrath
2015-11-12, 11:45 AM
Taking the rogue delays the ASI. Get the 4 hunter first.

Also, with his 18 CON and being a half orc it ought to take a very large drink to get his guard down - something along the lines of half a gallon of wine.

Spacehamster
2015-11-12, 11:56 AM
Taking the rogue delays the ASI. Get the 4 hunter first.

Also, with his 18 CON and being a half orc it ought to take a very large drink to get his guard down - something along the lines of half a gallon of wine.

With these stats and already having the most important feats would you not say 1 skill and expertise in two skills is better then getting feat 1 level earlier? :)

Shining Wrath
2015-11-12, 12:14 PM
With these stats and already having the most important feats would you not say 1 skill and expertise in two skills is better then getting feat 1 level earlier? :)

But everyone else in your party will also have awesome stats. That means that probably every single skill will have someone with a 20 or an 18 in the corresponding ability score, unless everyone dumps INT. That means proficiency bonus of +3 or +4 to the various skills matters less. Depending on the rest of your party, you may have good skill coverage and you'll just be backing other people up.

5e I find myself optimizing parties when I optimize characters. Are those skills going to be desperately needed for party success?

Spacehamster
2015-11-12, 12:21 PM
But everyone else in your party will also have awesome stats. That means that probably every single skill will have someone with a 20 or an 18 in the corresponding ability score, unless everyone dumps INT. That means proficiency bonus of +3 or +4 to the various skills matters less. Depending on the rest of your party, you may have good skill coverage and you'll just be backing other people up.

5e I find myself optimizing parties when I optimize characters. Are those skills going to be desperately needed for party success?

In total we have 2 full fighters, 2 barbarians, 1 paladin and 1 sorcerer so nope nobody is really a "skilled" character and expertise in stealth plus some other class would be very valuable. :)

Edit: also got a war cleric but he is the DM of the current adventure so that pc won't be in any upcoming session.

Shining Wrath
2015-11-12, 01:29 PM
In total we have 2 full fighters, 2 barbarians, 1 paladin and 1 sorcerer so nope nobody is really a "skilled" character and expertise in stealth plus some other class would be very valuable. :)

Edit: also got a war cleric but he is the DM of the current adventure so that pc won't be in any upcoming session.

Yeah, you've got a full team of idiots there :smallbiggrin: I'll concede you guys do need a skillbot.

Corran
2015-11-12, 08:41 PM
I would suggest barbarian. Rage for damage resistance, and, well..... some extra roleplaying fun!!!

Spacehamster
2015-11-13, 04:43 AM
I would suggest barbarian. Rage for damage resistance, and, well..... some extra roleplaying fun!!!

True that would be good but with 18 CON I already got lots of health + can avoid some of the damage with sentinel polearm combo so its
prob not as useful as more skills + expertise with how our party is made up. :)

Coidzor
2015-11-14, 03:16 AM
I'd have started Rogue then taken the 1st level of Barbarian sooner so that your unarmored AC was on par with wearing plate armor before moving onto Champion if you'd known your ultimate build going into it.

As it stands, I'd get the first level of Rogue in for the skills since it's bothering you, then Barb 1, maybe Barb 2, 2 more levels of Champion to get the ASI/feat if you want to grab that instead of waiting more levels, and then either fill in the rest of Barb or grab Hunter as it pleases you. Gunning for the third level of Barb for the Wolf Totem looks pretty tempting with the other melee types running around, I must admit.

djreynolds
2015-11-14, 04:02 AM
At 7th level you will get remarkable athlete, its one more level for 1/2 proficiency in all dex and str skills. The thing with rogue is expertise, but in what perception and stealth or athletics. But barbarian will net you unarmored defense, and while raging advantage on strength checks.

What is the rogue for? That's my question. Are you going sword and board shield master and serving up bad guys with strong athletics skill? Are you going great sword and no armor and sneaking around.

Is that one level of rogue for expertise worth it? Pass without a trace could be gotten at 5th level for ranger, for +10 to stealth when needed. Or 2 rogue for cunning action, and 3 ranger for hunter.

But since you are uninterested in mc combos, then logic says get to level 11 for 3 attacks ASAP. Wear heavy armor till then. Then grab rogue, with your higher proficiency bonus expertise will shine. Then if your dex and con modifiers beat your AC then take barbarian and if not wait and take ranger till then.

Or just take 9 levels of lore bard, and be a warrior poet.

Spacehamster
2015-11-14, 12:40 PM
I'd have started Rogue then taken the 1st level of Barbarian sooner so that your unarmored AC was on par with wearing plate armor before moving onto Champion if you'd known your ultimate build going into it.

As it stands, I'd get the first level of Rogue in for the skills since it's bothering you, then Barb 1, maybe Barb 2, 2 more levels of Champion to get the ASI/feat if you want to grab that instead of waiting more levels, and then either fill in the rest of Barb or grab Hunter as it pleases you. Gunning for the third level of Barb for the Wolf Totem looks pretty tempting with the other melee types running around, I must admit.

Our most sure to attent barbarian is already a wolf totem so the Barb levels are not THAT important to get early since I have high CON and thus good hp the survivability ainīt bad will prob stay in studded leather for rp reasons anyways with protection style I get 18 AC out of it with maxed DEX so its good enough. :)
Have now decided for:
Lvl 7: 1 Rogue
Lvl 8: 1 Ranger
Lvl 9: 2 Ranger pick defensive style for +1 AC.
Lvl 10: 3 Ranger(hunter with horde breaker)
Lvl 11: 4 Ranger Max DEX with ASI