PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Other Classes?

Meepo_
2015-11-12, 12:45 PM
Just wondering if there are any other classes in 5e besides those in the player's handbook. I'm not sure how many splat books have been released yet, if any.

T.G. Oskar
2015-11-12, 01:03 PM
Short answer: none, so far, unless you consider Unearthed Arcana. Even then, it's just an idea.

Long answer: the only official splatbook so far is the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, and it only has subclasses. You could consider the free Elemental Evil Player's Guide PDF as a "splat", but it's more of a mini-splat because it adds new stuff but not as extensively as a previous splat would. The Unearthed Arcana articles have released the first draft of a new class, the Mystic, which deals with this edition's version of Psionics. However, it's still on early draft version, and only covers the first 5 levels.

5e is aiming towards subclasses more than actual classes. Most of the classes in previous installments (Assassin, Favored Soul and Swashbuckler, for example) have been collapsed into subclasses of the existing classes (the Assassin and Swashbuckler archetypes for the Rogue; the Favored Soul is expected as a Sorcerous Origin for the Sorcerer). Expect most class ideas to end up as subclasses, since they don't cover the concept of a class as per 5e guidelines - a class has to encompass a wide set of ideas in order to be considered one, although classic D&D classes get a pass (Barbarian and Paladin being those, mostly).

So yeah - no classes so far, unless you consider the Mystic, but it's still undeveloped and officially unreleased.

JNAProductions
2015-11-12, 01:05 PM
Just wondering if there are any other classes in 5e besides those in the player's handbook. I'm not sure how many splat books have been released yet, if any.

There's plenty of homebrew classes, though.

Shining Wrath
2015-11-12, 01:41 PM
The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide provides new archetypes for Barbarian, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Paladin, Rogue, Sorcerer, and Wizard. No love for Bards and Rangers for some reason. Also many new backgrounds - 10? 12?

So that's a new splat book with character options you may want to pick up.

HaltTheSlayer
2015-11-12, 01:41 PM
Aren't they coming out with Psions pretty soon though?

Falcon X
2015-11-12, 01:54 PM
We know that they are actively working on Psions as they posted a sample of their work as Unearthed Arcana. Still, no telling when or where it will be. I was hoping it would come as part of Out of the Abyss.

Daishain
2015-11-12, 01:55 PM
The Awakened Mystic appears to be this edition's version of the old psion class (its counterpart the immortal mystic appears to be based on the psychic warrior). However, as mentioned, it has only been released in partially complete and poorly tested form at this time. To my knowledge there is no official statement on when a complete version will be released.

Shining Wrath
2015-11-12, 01:56 PM

Unearthed Arcana is their sandbox for playing with stuff - they've had Favored Soul Sorcerers, Psions (only through level 5), Spellless Rangers (thru L5), Stormborn Sorcerers (which got nerfed and inserted into SCAG), and probably more I don't remember.

Joe the Rat
2015-11-12, 02:04 PM
Swashbuckler Rogue, and the Ambuscade Ranger.

And the Runecaster PrC Concept

JakOfAllTirades
2015-11-12, 03:05 PM
Depending on how feel about third party material, the Witch Hunter class from Geek & Sundry might be worth looking at.

Personally I quite like it.

Magikeeper
2015-11-12, 03:14 PM
There's plenty of homebrew classes, though.

On that note: Link to 5E homebrew compendium on this very site! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?396519-D-amp-D-5e-Homebrew-Compendium)

Meepo_
2015-11-13, 12:33 PM
Could anyone tell me what the mastermind and swashbuckler do? I don't own that book yet. Thanks for all the answers!

Theodoxus
2015-11-13, 04:50 PM
There's a thread floating around describing the SCAG archetypes... I'd reply, but I'm AFB, and it'd probably be just as quick to search for SCAG.

Was there a specific class you'd like to see recreated? All but the most esoteric of classes can be built on a chassis of a 5th ed class. I've done PF Alchemists as both Warlock (more caster than melee) and Paladin (more melee than caster). Without creating new spells, Psions can be slapped together using whatever chassis you feel best, and using spell points.

WotC has essentially given players permission to mix and match abilities to create new concepts. As time goes on, I'm betting we won't see any new class chassis, but more modularity use - almost like PF archetypes, swapping out level specific abilities for others that are of a similar power level.

Vogonjeltz
2015-11-13, 06:01 PM
Could anyone tell me what the mastermind and swashbuckler do? I don't own that book yet. Thanks for all the answers!

Mastermind is a Bond villain or Spy, Swashbuckler is Errol Flynn.

Other SCAG class options are Battlerager (spiked armor guy) and some additional Totem Warrior options for Barbarian, Arcana Domain (wannabe Mage) cleric, Purple Dragon Knight (A commander class option) for Fighter, Way of the Long Death (Creepy Serial Killers) and Way of the Sun Soul (Dragon Ball Z) for Monk, Oath of the Crown (We're the knights of the round table...) for Paladin, Storm Sorcery (Wheel of Time esque Windcallers) for Sorcerer, The Undying patron for Warlocks (I follow dead people), and Bladesinging which is what you'd get if you gave up all the hit points and armor and good class abilities and expanded an Eldritch Knight's spellcasting to be that of a Wizard.

Sigreid
2015-11-14, 12:11 AM

The big thing with the Mastermind is that they are lying little liars. As they level up they become so good at it that they can lie to telepathic probes and magical means of lie detection.

djreynolds
2015-11-15, 12:35 AM

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?457600-Base-Class-Contest-I-5E

This gentleman is running a contest for a homebrew. The ideas are pretty cool, and I even posted one as well.

JakOfAllTirades
2015-11-15, 12:59 AM
The big thing with the Mastermind is that they are lying little liars. As they level up they become so good at it that they can lie to telepathic probes and magical means of lie detection.

But they're also really good at helping people; so good that they can use the Help action as a bonus action (rather than standard action) at a distance of 30 feet. (rather than 5 feet) So having one as an ally is amazing.

It occurs to me that two masterminds working together and trading bonus actions to help each other every round would be truly formidable, in combat or otherwise.