PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 noob question

HaltTheSlayer
2015-11-12, 01:13 PM
So me and my friends are going to be doing a 3.5 campaign soon...or pathfinder but everyone is leaning towards 3.5. Pathfinder I know how to play, however I know nothing about 3.5 character building and using Pathguy character generator didn't really help me. The problem I'm having is I want to play a support type class that is either a really good healer or a really good buffer, but their are so many options for races and classes I don't know where to start. Some suggestions would be nice.

Albions_Angel
2015-11-12, 01:21 PM
The first thing I would ask is... What are the char creation rules? Is it a point buy system? Are you rolling 4 D6, discarding lowest. Are you rolling 4D6, discarding lowest, adding 6? Are you using array blocks? Having some kind of guideline on character creation will help us help you.

What about books? All 3.5e? Just Core? Just Core and Complete? What about Dragon Mag, or 3.0 material? Again, more books will give us more options.

At the end of the day though, you want a buffer/healer. The obvious classes are Druid and Cleric, and both can take healing domains and feats/variants that help with both those tasks.

Other classes to consider are pure casters. Ever seen a wizard playing control and buff? Fantastic utility. You get mage armor, and you get mage armor, and you get mage armor, and hello mr rogue, now you have animistic power, oh, and mr barbarian, have some bull strength and enlarge person.

If you fancy some more role play character options, Dragon Fire Inspiration Bard. Make him party face. Actually have fun while adding little buffs here and there. Or paladin. Or dragon shaman (aura for everyone!)

Also, if you want something super cool, check out dread necromancers. You wont be buffing, you will be DE-buffing!

HaltTheSlayer
2015-11-12, 01:32 PM
We are probably going to be doing core, however I do like the idea of de-buffing everything. What book is dread necromancer in?

Fouredged Sword
2015-11-12, 01:32 PM
You won't see much of a difference switching from playing a pathfinder caster to a 3.5 caster. 3.5 has more powerful polymorph effects and some early BFC spells are a little more powerful. You will have fewer class features, but you keep on casting just fine. Cleric, Druid, and Bard / sublime chord are all perfectly fine classes to buff/heal with.

HaltTheSlayer
2015-11-12, 01:38 PM
So we are doing point buy and I will probably choose human as my race because its always been versatile.

Nashira
2015-11-12, 01:43 PM
I'd have to recommend Bard. It's a solid class, great for buffing, and can serve you well regardless of the books you have available. It's also a fairly easy class to play while learning the system.

Fouredged Sword
2015-11-12, 01:53 PM
I also recommend bard. Do realize that music is much easier to spam in 3.5. you can use it basically for as long as you want each time to spend a use, so long as you don't stop to cast. Pick something you can do while fighting.

HaltTheSlayer
2015-11-12, 02:02 PM
Ok thanks for the suggestions. Bard is probably the best choice and I could have some back up healing on the side so it is probably the best choice.

Fouredged Sword
2015-11-12, 02:17 PM
Ok thanks for the suggestions. Bard is probably the best choice and I could have some back up healing on the side so it is probably the best choice.

Do take note, healing HP is easy for any class with cure light wounds on their caster list and a wand. Healing conditions is what really gets to be a problem. Scrolls are the answer. Restoration, lesser restoration, cure blindness/deafness and such are invaluable.