PDA

View Full Version : Variant Rules for a Low-Magic Campaign

PallentisLunam
2015-11-12, 07:08 PM
It's not that I have anything against magic users. I just feel like magic should be rare and powerful rather than every new pointy-eared, ambiguously gendered adventurer spouting flames from every orifice. So I'm looking to build a fun, low magic setting.

As a start I was thinking that I'm fine with all of the core races, I don't find anything inherently magical about any of them, except for the gnome's cantrips which I plan to take away. I don't often pay attention to the multiclassing rules but I think I'll assign a martial class to any race that has a caster as its favored class.

I was thinking I would remove bards, clerics, druids, sorcerers, and wizards from the starting core classes as well as any other primary caster base classes from outside of core. I want to use the Complete Warrior's rules for making the Paladin and the Ranger more martial and less magical. The SRD gives prestige variants of the Bard, the Paladin, and the Ranger but I was wondering what requirements might look like the the removed classes above?

Finally, the actual question: what variant rules work well or contribute to the atmosphere of a low magic campaign?

I was thinking armor as damage conversion, reserve points, and incantations as a start. Are there any other good ones?

Edit: Also are there any official tables or formulas for increasing the cost of magic items to reflect a low-magic setting or will I have to do it myself on a case-by-case basis? Along that same line, any loot tables that reduce the chances for random magic items?

Tvtyrant
2015-11-12, 09:08 PM
If there are no spellcasters, then who is making the magic items?

Anyway, if you do this remember to remove spellcasting foes and incorporeal foes, or it just becomes break the party time.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-11-12, 09:24 PM
If you're removing all those spellcasters, you'll have to use some sort of fixed bonus and effects progression. If you don't, your party will fall behind on numbers and abilities, and you will have to send under-CRed encounters at them, unless they're all playing Hulking Hurlers or something.

Also remove:
- Invisibile enemies (can't be detected except by DC 50+ spot checks or racial blindsight)
- Enemies that drain ability scores (can't be restored)
- Ability damage is lethal, since you heal only 1-2 points per day naturally
- Ethereal and incorporeal enemies are immune to nonmagical attacks
- Enemies that deal heavy energy damage, e.g. dragons, are pretty unfair, but managable with evasion etc.
- Petrification, paralysis (the lich variety), magical diseases, curses, imprisonment and so on are also un-counterable
- Don't even think about anything with blasphemy
- Swimming, flying and burrowing are all virtually off-limits to nonmagical characters - drowning is a real possibility
- A lot of creatures have DR/magic, which normally becomes insignificant after level 7 at the latest, but not here, so keep in mind many things will be tougher
- Regeneration overcome by fire or acid is hard when you're not allowed to orb of fire it up
- Probably a lot more to add, but yeah...

Your best bet is probably to use PC-classed enemies. They receive the exact same changes, so it should be even.

Malroth
2015-11-12, 09:54 PM
completely give up the idea of the 4 encounter adventuring day, with the rate of natural healing being what it is, expect 1 or 2 encounters per month maximum

PallentisLunam
2015-11-13, 12:22 AM
If there are no spellcasters, then who is making the magic items?

Anyway, if you do this remember to remove spellcasting foes and incorporeal foes, or it just becomes break the party time.

It's not that there are no spellcasters. A player just can't take a primary casting class at 1st level. I was hoping to throw the core primary casters back in at 5th level as prestige classes but I was wondering if anyone had ideas how to do that without making players take useless cross class skills for 5 levels. I also realize that this will mean 9th level spells won't exist and that sorcerers will never get above 7th level spells and I'm okay with that. I was planning to take these rules into account for NPCs as well and I realize that I will have to throw challenges that can actually be over come but that's just a DM's job in the first place.

If you're removing all those spellcasters, you'll have to use some sort of fixed bonus and effects progression. If you don't, your party will fall behind on numbers and abilities, and you will have to send under-CRed encounters at them, unless they're all playing Hulking Hurlers or something.

Also remove:
- Invisibile enemies (can't be detected except by DC 50+ spot checks or racial blindsight)
- Enemies that drain ability scores (can't be restored)
- Ability damage is lethal, since you heal only 1-2 points per day naturally
- Ethereal and incorporeal enemies are immune to nonmagical attacks
- Enemies that deal heavy energy damage, e.g. dragons, are pretty unfair, but managable with evasion etc.
- Petrification, paralysis (the lich variety), magical diseases, curses, imprisonment and so on are also un-counterable
- Don't even think about anything with blasphemy
- Swimming, flying and burrowing are all virtually off-limits to nonmagical characters - drowning is a real possibility
- A lot of creatures have DR/magic, which normally becomes insignificant after level 7 at the latest, but not here, so keep in mind many things will be tougher
- Regeneration overcome by fire or acid is hard when you're not allowed to orb of fire it up
- Probably a lot more to add, but yeah...

Your best bet is probably to use PC-classed enemies. They receive the exact same changes, so it should be even.

I don't necessarily think that all of those things should be removed because as I said I'm not banning spellcasters, but I see your point that certain challenges should be saved for later levels and that their CRs should be increased.

completely give up the idea of the 4 encounter adventuring day, with the rate of natural healing being what it is, expect 1 or 2 encounters per month maximum

I thought about this and I like the idea that the party has to be careful about getting into fights and that they will get hurt and need an extended time frame to heal up. Anyways, armor as damage conversion should mitigate some of this. And especially at lower levels even characters with high hit points will be back at full after a few days under the care of someone with a few ranks in heal. Plus, if I'm reading the rules about reserve points correctly, reserve points effectively double natural healing rates, so characters will be back up even faster.

Tvtyrant
2015-11-13, 12:42 AM
I would probably make magic feat based or use the incantation rules at that point.

Feat based have a stackable feat which gives you spells equal to the number of times you take it, maxing at the highest. So taking it four times would get you 1 fourth level spell, two third level spells, three second level spells and four 1st level spells. Just set it with a HD or BaB level for the first and you are golden.

Otherwise I would use rituals/incantations/epic magic rules and just make it skill based.

Prime32
2015-11-13, 10:09 AM
Finally, the actual question: what variant rules work well or contribute to the atmosphere of a low magic campaign?E6, since even non-spellcasters become superhuman eventually.

Edit: Also are there any official tables or formulas for increasing the cost of magic items to reflect a low-magic setting or will I have to do it myself on a case-by-case basis? Along that same line, any loot tables that reduce the chances for random magic items?The game is built around magic items as part of your character, and monsters are given stats which take the PCs' stat boosts from magic items into account. Magic items are priced for balance, not for flavor (which is why some items have a price even if they can't be bought or sold).

Supposing that PCs get access to +1 swords around level 3, a level 10 monster having DR/magic is mostly a fluff thing - any PC who encounters it will overcome its DR automatically, and it just serves to make it more threatening to commoners. If you remove the PCs' abilities like this, sending a normal monster against them could easily result in a TPK. There are more extreme cases where characters without magic items can't hurt the monster at all (e.g. incorporeal creatures), and also more subtle ones where the effects are harder to spot ahead of time.

If you want to get rid of magic items, then only use humanoid NPCs as enemies so that they're hurt by it just as much.
Alternatively, you could make up for some of it by giving the PCs scaling bonuses to stats as they gain levels, and letting people use the Craft skill to create non-flashy items like +X keen swords. Or just refluffing magic items as innate powers, and giving each PC "spirit points" to spend on them at each level instead of gold pieces.

BowStreetRunner
2015-11-13, 10:30 AM
It's not that there are no spellcasters. A player just can't take a primary casting class at 1st level. I was hoping to throw the core primary casters back in at 5th level as prestige classes but I was wondering if anyone had ideas how to do that without making players take useless cross class skills for 5 levels.You should try to come up with an in-game rationale for why someone would go for 5 levels in a martial or rogue-type class and then switch to a caster. The normal concept of someone working as an apprentice for many years to learn the difficult magic doesn't really work here. If I am taking Fighter, Ranger, Paladin, Barbarian, Rogue, or something like that for 5 levels then I am not doing anything to prepare myself to be a caster. So why are caster levels only open to these sorts of people? It seems a bit illogical from an in-game point of view. If you don't give a rationale in-game then it forces the PCs to ignore the lack of an explanation and just accept that is how it is done - something that actually erodes the role-playing environment.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-11-13, 11:48 AM
I'd go ahead and homebrew some proto-caster classes. Perhaps a Sage with some knowledge-based party buffs and alchemy as a forerunner to the wizard, a... actually, Paladin and Ranger are perfectly fine precursors for Cleric and Druid, respectively. The Bard could work fine if you just shift all its spells up to start at a higher level and maybe a faster progression- make the music (Ex) and maybe pump it up a little if you want. (Bonuses equal to your Cha or Bard level, whichever is lower ought to do it). Sorcerer is a little trickier... Maybe allow heritage feats to anyone who wants them; that would let you lead into it.

I WOULD edit the casters into 15 level prestige classes, though. That way you can fiddle with features and progressions for a smoother transition, as well as adding in prerequisite.

PallentisLunam
2015-11-13, 01:03 PM
I would probably make magic feat based or use the incantation rules at that point.

Feat based have a stackable feat which gives you spells equal to the number of times you take it, maxing at the highest. So taking it four times would get you 1 fourth level spell, two third level spells, three second level spells and four 1st level spells. Just set it with a HD or BaB level for the first and you are golden.

Otherwise I would use rituals/incantations/epic magic rules and just make it skill based.

I like the idea of magic having a feat component but I don't think that the one you propose would work very well. Maybe I'll homebrew some of the iconic abilities of the primary casters, turn undead, familiars, animal companions, ect. into feats and use them as requirements for the prestige classes.

E6, since even non-spellcasters become superhuman eventually.

I'm not looking to change the fundamental rules of the game quite so drastically.

The game is built around magic items as part of your character, and monsters are given stats which take the PCs' stat boosts from magic items into account. Magic items are priced for balance, not for flavor (which is why some items have a price even if they can't be bought or sold).

Supposing that PCs get access to +1 swords around level 3, a level 10 monster having DR/magic is mostly a fluff thing - any PC who encounters it will overcome its DR automatically, and it just serves to make it more threatening to commoners. If you remove the PCs' abilities like this, sending a normal monster against them could easily result in a TPK. There are more extreme cases where characters without magic items can't hurt the monster at all (e.g. incorporeal creatures), and also more subtle ones where the effects are harder to spot ahead of time.

If you want to get rid of magic items, then only use humanoid NPCs as enemies so that they're hurt by it just as much.
Alternatively, you could make up for some of it by giving the PCs scaling bonuses to stats as they gain levels, and letting people use the Craft skill to create non-flashy items like +X keen swords. Or just refluffing magic items as innate powers, and giving each PC "spirit points" to spend on them at each level instead of gold pieces.

I am not getting rid of magic, magic items, or spell casters (only one of those is actually directed at Prime but I just thought I'd do everything at once). I realize that I am drastically changing the balance of the game and that I will have to be careful about what kind of challenges I throw at the party. 5th edition has a table for character creation that deals with low, middle, and high magic settings. I was just wondering if anyone knew of something similar in 3.5 that I could get a look at.

You should try to come up with an in-game rationale for why someone would go for 5 levels in a martial or rogue-type class and then switch to a caster. The normal concept of someone working as an apprentice for many years to learn the difficult magic doesn't really work here. If I am taking Fighter, Ranger, Paladin, Barbarian, Rogue, or something like that for 5 levels then I am not doing anything to prepare myself to be a caster. So why are caster levels only open to these sorts of people? It seems a bit illogical from an in-game point of view. If you don't give a rationale in-game then it forces the PCs to ignore the lack of an explanation and just accept that is how it is done - something that actually erodes the role-playing environment.

... I... as the DM... should come up with an In-Character reason why a PC does something?... No? Imma go with no.

Why does any character multiclass or take a prestige class? Because it fits with the concept that the player has in mind for the character. If that's too much of a metagame reason for you then how about this one, because that's what the character wants to do. If Mr. Sword&Board hits 6th level and all of a sudden says "I'm taking a level of druid" in any campaign that I'm running then I'm going to say "No you're not, because you have demonstrated no in game reason for why your character would do that." Plus in this campaign the character almost certainly won't meet the prerequisites for the class. No, I'm not sure yet what those would be, but I am sure that Mr. Sword&Board wouldn't fulfill them by accident.

The mechanical requirements for a prestige class represent the basics for what a character needs to know in order to start taking that class. The reason a character has met those requirements and takes that class is entirely up to the player.

The in-game reason that nobody can have a primary casting class at 1st level is because magic is hard and/or the gods don't just go bestowing phenomenal cosmic power on every third worshiper. If a character wants these powers they have to work hard for them and show supreme dedication and they do this by taking mechanical representations, such as skill ranks or feats, of the character's desire to wield magic as the pass through levels 1-5. They also express these desires in character through role-playing.

An example might be a barbarian or a ranger who wants to become a druid takes max ranks in Survival, Handle Animal, and Knowledge (Nature). The player then emphasizes the character's connection to the natural world and his love of/desire to protect animals, nature, ect. They might also acquire an animal companion through a homebrewed feat or carry around a miniature giant space hamster. Then when this character gains enough XP to reach 6th level and they say "I'm going to take a level of druid" I'll say "Yeah, that sounds perfect for your character."

I'd go ahead and homebrew some proto-caster classes. Perhaps a Sage with some knowledge-based party buffs and alchemy as a forerunner to the wizard, a... actually, Paladin and Ranger are perfectly fine precursors for Cleric and Druid, respectively. The Bard could work fine if you just shift all its spells up to start at a higher level and maybe a faster progression- make the music (Ex) and maybe pump it up a little if you want. (Bonuses equal to your Cha or Bard level, whichever is lower ought to do it). Sorcerer is a little trickier... Maybe allow heritage feats to anyone who wants them; that would let you lead into it.

I WOULD edit the casters into 15 level prestige classes, though. That way you can fiddle with features and progressions for a smoother transition, as well as adding in prerequisite.

I like the ideas, but I can do all the homebrewing I want and post it here later for feedback. What I'm really looking for right now are any published rules that people have used or read that work well for a low magic setting. I suppose I'm also looking for advice on what rules to avoid or tweak in order to maintain balance and fun.

BowStreetRunner
2015-11-13, 01:17 PM
... I... as the DM... should come up with an In-Character reason why a PC does something?... No? Imma go with no.

Why does any character multiclass or take a prestige class? Because it fits with the concept that the player has in mind for the character. If that's too much of a metagame reason for you then how about this one, because that's what the character wants to do. If Mr. Sword&Board hits 6th level and all of a sudden says "I'm taking a level of druid" in any campaign that I'm running then I'm going to say "No you're not, because you have demonstrated no in game reason for why your character would do that." Plus in this campaign the character almost certainly won't meet the prerequisites for the class. No, I'm not sure yet what those would be, but I am sure that Mr. Sword&Board wouldn't fulfill them by accident.

The mechanical requirements for a prestige class represent the basics for what a character needs to know in order to start taking that class. The reason a character has met those requirements and takes that class is entirely up to the player.

The in-game reason that nobody can have a primary casting class at 1st level is because magic is hard and/or the gods don't just go bestowing phenomenal cosmic power on every third worshiper. If a character wants these powers they have to work hard for them and show supreme dedication and they do this by taking mechanical representations, such as skill ranks or feats, of the character's desire to wield magic as the pass through levels 1-5. They also express these desires in character through role-playing.

An example might be a barbarian or a ranger who wants to become a druid takes max ranks in Survival, Handle Animal, and Knowledge (Nature). The player then emphasizes the character's connection to the natural world and his love of/desire to protect animals, nature, ect. They might also acquire an animal companion through a homebrewed feat or carry around a miniature giant space hamster. Then when this character gains enough XP to reach 6th level and they say "I'm going to take a level of druid" I'll say "Yeah, that sounds perfect for your character."
I hope you realize that my suggestion of an in-game rationale explaining why players can't start as casters-in-training and why the only caster entry is a career change was not meant to attack you personally. Your response comes across as surprisingly defensive and confrontational. :smallconfused: I'm just trying to help. I've been playing RPGs since the mid 1980's and know this is the kind of thing players will sometimes bring up. If you can be prepared for it before it comes up, then that's one problem averted.

PallentisLunam
2015-11-13, 01:28 PM
I hope you realize that my suggestion of an in-game rationale explaining why players can't start as casters-in-training and why the only caster entry is a career change was not meant to attack you personally. Your response comes across as surprisingly defensive and confrontational. :smallconfused: I'm just trying to help. I've been playing RPGs since the mid 1980's and know this is the kind of thing players will sometimes bring up. If you can be prepared for it before it comes up, then that's one problem averted.

I was going for funny and explanatory. My bad :smallbiggrin:

I thought you were asking why a character would take a caster class after 5th level. If your point was that I should have a reason ready why they can't take one at first level then I think I answered that too.

dascarletm
2015-11-13, 03:22 PM
Finally, the actual question: what variant rules work well or contribute to the atmosphere of a low magic campaign?

I was thinking armor as damage conversion, reserve points, and incantations as a start. Are there any other good ones?

Edit: Also are there any official tables or formulas for increasing the cost of magic items to reflect a low-magic setting or will I have to do it myself on a case-by-case basis? Along that same line, any loot tables that reduce the chances for random magic items?

I'm running a low-magic game currently. It is in pathfinder mind you, but you can port over some of their rules fairly easily.

1: Players use pathfinder unchained's Automatic Bonus Progression (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/automatic-bonus-progression)
2: As per the suggestions on that page, all magic items that give straight stat increases are removed, and all other items are doubled in price.
3: I keep all casting classes as is. Players cannot play them, and there is maybe only a few in existence.
4: As in any campaign be mindful of what challenges you are throwing at your players, and what capabilities they have.

As for magic items, I'd just roll on a table 2-3 levels lower than what your current loot table suggests. WRT magic item generation.

Blackhawk748
2015-11-13, 03:42 PM
Id look at Midnight, its one of the few Low Magic settings ive seen done well.

Dusk Raven
2015-11-13, 05:36 PM
I was about to leap in and suggest Iron Heroes, but that system, while both d20 and amazing, is based around the players having no access to magic at all. At least, no magic that's safe to use.

I like the idea of magic having a feat component but I don't think that the one you propose would work very well. Maybe I'll homebrew some of the iconic abilities of the primary casters, turn undead, familiars, animal companions, ect. into feats and use them as requirements for the prestige classes.

While I said that Iron Heroes is almost no-magic, they do have an optional class called the Arcanist. For them, magical abilities are taken as feats. So, you have the "Fear" talent, which gives you the ability to use various fear effects, which can be customized for things like range, target number, and duration. And you also get a permanent +3 to Intimidate. If that sounds overpowered... well, magic in Iron Heroes is a dark and dangerous thing, and casting spells inflicts nonlethal damage on you. At best. But I do like the way they handle it.

I don't remember ever having to ask my DM for permission to multiclass. Other than for homebrew stuff, of course.

That aside, I have a few comments about this, in no particular order. You can, of course, have skill/feat requirements for magic classes - most spellcasting classes tend to spend points out the wazoo for certain skills, and some feats are really highly recommended. And it really does make sense in a setting where magic is an "elite" thing that requires a lot of training and preparation. Of course, it does result in a case where players restrict their early game (to a minor extent) for long-term benefit. Granted, it's something I myself tend to do, as I build characters for the long haul, but still.

Far as I would do things, though, not a lot of mechanics-based prerequisites for a Sorcerer. I'd see it as latent magical talent brought forth by physical condition, heroism, or divine favor. Roleplaying or achievement requirements might work though, much as I tend to see such requirements as BS (Assassins in my worlds do not use the Dark Brotherhood method of recruiting, thank you very much, even if there was somehow this cabal of evil assassins with exclusive knowledge of death-dealing).

Afgncaap5
2015-11-13, 07:40 PM
One rule I've been contemplating lately is something that pulls a few thematic elements from 5e into 3.5. Basically, I assume that magic of mid to upper levels is so exotic that spells of those levels often can't be gained through research alone. It allows certain higher level spells to exist while still limiting the freewheeling nature of the magic mart economy.

The obvious problem, of course, is that this brings spell availability down to DM fiat at upper levels. And while I might personally be okay saying "Why, sure, I'll go quest for the Permafrost of Doomwild Tundra before my sorcerer can learn Cone of Cold!" there are many, many, many, many others who aren't okay with that.

Delvnegv
2015-11-13, 07:48 PM
Simple. Play an E6 (though I prefer an E9) campaign. It basically says that you stop leveling past 6 (like I said, I prefer to play to 9), but you can spend experience to gain feats. Never pit them against anything higher than CR 6-9 and you're good. You can still have a rewarding game with very little leveling.