PDA

View Full Version : Sink spells

PraxisVetli
2015-11-12, 09:09 PM
I'm lookin for a spell that can sink players into the ground. Now, Imprisonment is a thing, but my players are level 2. I need something that can drop them maybe waist deep in dirt.
If there isn't a spell, but there's a monster with a similiar ability, that'll do.

Bronk
2015-11-12, 09:19 PM
The fourth level druid spell 'Desert Burial' from Dragon 331 is pretty close, although they would be held helpless buried up to their necks, not their waists.

Or a quick casting or trap of 'Transmute Rock to Mud' followed by 'Transmute Mud to Rock'...

Deophaun
2015-11-12, 09:23 PM
What is the mechanical effect you're looking for? A custom version of entangle could work. Nightmare terrain could certainly give the visual illusion of what you want.

nedz
2015-11-12, 09:27 PM
Earthen Grasp (Spell Compendium p76) is a level 2 Wiz/Sorc spell which comes close. It's not a very good spell though.

PraxisVetli
2015-11-12, 09:35 PM
What is the mechanical effect you're looking for? A custom version of entangle could work. Nightmare terrain could certainly give the visual illusion of what you want.
They allow them movement though. I need them helpless

Earthen Grasp (Spell Compendium p76) is a level 2 Wiz/Sorc spell which comes close. It's not a very good spell though.

will check it out!

Necroticplague
2015-11-12, 09:42 PM
Soften Earth and Stone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/softenEarthAndStone.htm) does exactly this (if they fail their save).

JBarca
2015-11-12, 09:48 PM
The Entomber (Libris Mortis) has an ability similar to this. On a successful hit, its target makes a Reflex Save to avoid being buried underground. Not "waist deep," but I suppose you can slightly alter the ability if you want.

CR 5, so a little above what you need, but it's a starting point.

ben-zayb
2015-11-12, 09:48 PM
Polymorph into something with a good grapple mod and has a Burrow speed. Improved Grab is optional.:smallamused:

EDIT: Possibly relevant to my suggestion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?225236-grappling-and-burrowing)

PraxisVetli
2015-11-12, 09:49 PM
The fourth level druid spell 'Desert Burial' from Dragon 331 is pretty close, although they would be held helpless buried up to their necks, not their waists.
This.
I need this!
Soften Earth and Stone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/softenEarthAndStone.htm) does exactly this (if they fail their save).
Ok, this is solid. Is there a way that I can use this spell on trees too? As in, more than 4' deep.

The Entomber (Libris Mortis) has an ability similar to this. On a successful hit, its target makes a Reflex Save to avoid being buried underground. Not "waist deep," but I suppose you can slightly alter the ability if you want.

CR 5, so a little above what you need, but it's a starting point.
lemme look quick....
I like it. I can fiddle with the CR.

DrMotives
2015-11-12, 10:17 PM
Can earth elementals take passengers with them using their earth glide ability? I know they could in older editions because some adventure modules had plots revolving around that, but I'm not sure if that's still a thing.

herrhauptmann
2015-11-13, 01:00 AM
Can earth elementals take passengers with them using their earth glide ability? I know they could in older editions because some adventure modules had plots revolving around that, but I'm not sure if that's still a thing.
Dunno, but there's a creature in the Underdark book that does just that. Earth Glider I think.