PDA

View Full Version : Half-Centimeter Sphere?

Palanan
2015-11-12, 10:57 PM
For a size comparison, I need an everyday item that's approximately half a centimeter across, preferably a sphere.

A cherry would be much too large, and I can't think of anything else that's in that size range and common enough for a general audience. Any ideas?

The_Snark
2015-11-12, 11:02 PM
My first thought was ball bearings, but those vary in size. Marbles are probably also too large... Cherry pit, possibly?

Zrak
2015-11-12, 11:12 PM
I assume you mean about a half-centimeter in diameter?

I think even a pretty small grape, like a champagne grape, will be too big. You'll probably have to go for something more in the nut/seed neighborhood. I think a hazelnut might do?

Ravens_cry
2015-11-12, 11:27 PM
A standard Daisy BB is half a mm smaller than what you ask. Is that close enough?

blunk
2015-11-12, 11:30 PM
A peppercorn, or a baby pea.

Roland St. Jude
2015-11-13, 01:09 AM
A peppercorn, or a baby pea.These were the two things I thought of first. Also, allspice berries and sixlets.

Crow
2015-11-13, 02:38 AM
A peppercorn, or a baby pea.

My first thoughts as well. :D

Teddy
2015-11-13, 02:42 AM
My first thought was ball bearings, but those vary in size. Marbles are probably also too large... Cherry pit, possibly?

I think the last one is pretty good, actually. At least from the cherries I've eaten. They're not perfectly spherical, but mostly.

enderlord99
2015-11-13, 02:47 AM
I think the last one is pretty good, actually. At least from the cherries I've eaten. They're not perfectly spherical, but mostly.

From what I've seen, cherry pits are almost twice the size he wants...

Teddy
2015-11-13, 04:09 AM
From what I've seen, cherry pits are almost twice the size he wants...

Hmm, different cherries then. However, given the fact that they thought about cherries in the first place, I don't think their cherries are that large...

But yes, it's hard to find good, reliable units of measure in your daily surroundings. Unpopped popcorns may be too small, perhaps?

enderlord99
2015-11-13, 05:13 AM
Unpopped popcorns may be too small, perhaps?

To me, a single raw popcorn kernel seems like it would be about right, depending on how it's measured; if measured lengthwise, it would be slightly too large.

sktarq
2015-11-13, 09:52 AM
Also capers

The mini jawbreakers would also be around the right size

Rockphed
2015-11-13, 10:24 AM
Blueberries are, in my experience, about 5 mms in diameter.

Palanan
2015-11-13, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Teddy
Unpopped popcorns may be too small, perhaps?

Originally Posted by enderlord99
To me, a single raw popcorn kernel seems like it would be about right….

A popcorn kernel is absolutely perfect. Maybe not the precise size or shape, but it's an excellent intuitive measure of the scale I'm looking for.

Thanks to everyone else for the other suggestions, I'll keep those in mind.