PDA

View Full Version : Wizard build advice

PaladinBoy
2007-05-30, 05:12 PM
I'm planning to take my wizard into the Windwright Captain PrC from the Explorer's Handbook. The problem is that me and my brother bought the Explorer's Handbook when my character was level 7, and he only had one of the required skills (Profession (sailor)). So now I need 6 ranks of UMD and 4 ranks of Balance, preferably as quickly as possible. I was thinking of taking a level of rogue, as I'd get all the skill points necessary and more besides, but I can't really use the sneak attack or trapfinding. So I was wondering if there's a better class for this purpose, or if I should just take the rogue level. Anyone have any ideas?

Arbitrarity
2007-05-30, 05:23 PM
PrC Loremaster.

Probably not applicable.

6 Ranks UMD means you need it as a class skill. Balance you can burn skill points on.

Beguiler, spellthief, warlock, and Artificer have UMD. So does bard. That's about it.

Mr the Geoff
2007-05-30, 05:28 PM
Step one: Put on your best winning smile

Step two: show your DM the PrC and enthuse over how cool it is without being game breaking in any way.

Step three: ask if he can let you move a few skill points around or relax the entry requirements, or think up new and interesting entry requirements.

When in doubt buy your DM a few beers and discuss the possibility of houseruling around the problem. In the game I play the RAW often get bent in favour of "hey that'd be so cool, let's do it anyway".

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-05-30, 05:36 PM
Why in the name of optimization would you want your wizard to go into a PrC which doesn't have spellcasting progression?

Seriously, if you're wanting to do this for flavor, why don't you ask the GM if your spellcasting ability replaces the UMD requirement as you are already able to use all arcane items as a wizard without needing to make any rolls at all. You're going to end up crippling your abilities anyways, so you might as well at least be able to do it easily...

Jack_Simth
2007-05-30, 05:44 PM
Hire a Psion (http://srd.pbemnexus.com/psionicPowersGtoP.html#psychic-reformation)

Quellian-dyrae
2007-05-30, 05:47 PM
Find a psion to manifest Psychic Reformation on you.

Edit: So yeah, like Jack Smith said, hire a psion.::Blink::

PaladinBoy
2007-05-30, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the advice!

Arbitrarity: Yeah, Loremaster would be nice, if I had the required feats. Oh well. Artificer seems like it might be a good fit for my character, and it'd give me the UMD I need. At least I can use the craft reserve for something.

Mr the Geoff: I suppose I could ask the DM for some type of leniency. It'll have to be over a soda though, as we're both 16. :smallbiggrin:

ShneekeyTheLost: Though it's a bit OT, I suppose I'll answer your question. I get an airship. And I get to command it from 2 miles away. I like the idea of that. It'll only sacrifice two levels anyway....... the PrC gets +1 spellcasting at 1st, 3rd, and 5th.

Jack_Simth and Quellian-dyrae: I like that idea. Might have to go to a little effort to find a Psion that can manifest that, however.

Matthew
2007-06-06, 06:10 PM
Can the retraining variant rules from the PHB2 not help with this problem?

Droodle
2007-06-06, 07:17 PM
Feat rogue variant. You may not need sneak attack, but I'm betting you wouldn't mind an extra feat.