PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Hunter build advice

DedWards
2015-11-13, 01:00 AM
I'm looking at planning out a Hunter for my next character. I normally use a number of guides to help, but I can't seem to find any with advice on the direction I want to go. I want to make a flanking duo with the animal companion, so my Precise Companion choice is obviously Outflank. Also want to get Pack Flanking asap, with probably picking it and Combat Expertise at level 3, with Combat Reflexes at level 5 and Paired Opportunists at level 6. With all this, my idea for abilities looks like this:

20 point buy:
STR 18 (16+2)
DEX 13
CON 14
INT 13*
WIS 13
CHA 7

25 point buy:
STR 19 (17+2)
DEX 13
CON 14
INT 13*
WIS 14
CHA 7

*INT is only at 13 to qualify for Combat Expertise and Pack Flanking.

Now for the request of assistance. I'm not very clued up with what spells are good or not, but I do know I want to concentrate on buffs for myself and my animal companion, with some utility spells. So what would you suggest? (Remember, Hunters get Summon Nature's Ally in addition to their spells know).

What animal companion would suit my idea best?

What other feats can support my idea?

Geddy2112
2015-11-13, 01:31 AM
With pack flanking, be aware you can ride your animal companion if it is big enough and still get the bonus. Use a lance+pounce animal companion, and profit. Undersize mount works well for the early levels when the companion is medium. Going for a trip build with a flanking companion is solid, so might want improved/greater and some of the trip feats. get a trip weapon if you wanna play this game.

For outflank builds, big cats(pounce) and wolves(trip) are good. A dire bat is good for blindsense and flight(that again, you can ride), as is the giant mantis. Most of the dino's are good.

Buff spells are better than anything against opponents that allows a save, since you don't want to have to push wis past the minimum to cast. Lead blades is the bread and butter melee buff, gravity bow if you want to use some ranged. Longstrider is a great duration and solid buff, as is barkskin. Don't learn cure light wounds, get a wand instead. Entange is really good, even with a low DC and worth considering.

DedWards
2015-11-13, 08:50 AM
Completely forgot about the mounted option, thanks. I'll consider it as I flesh out the build.

Cat, Big might be the one I go for. It has 3 attacks and gets grab, pounce, and rake (1d6) at level 7.

I was already aware of Gravity Bow from the archer Ranger I played, but Lead Blades is frigging awesome, thanks for pointing it out.

Geddy2112
2015-11-13, 10:32 AM
The beauty of mounted hunter is that it is optional. You don't have to ride your companion for a single day in the campaign and you will be perfectly effective. It just happens to be a very powerful option. Don't be afraid to saddle your kitty even if you don't have a single mounted combat feat or a lance. If you focus on mounted combat, you basically become a better cavalier.

The large cat is also my favorite-pounce, grab, and rake is just brutal. If you wanna go with the grab and you go half orc, brutal grappler is a solid teamwork feat. Coordinated defense is a pretty solid take for any build, and coordinated maneuvers is good if you want to use maneuvers. Seize the moment is solid if you go for a crifishing build. Tandem trip is incredibly powerful, but it is normally for wolf hunters.

For some of your higher level spells, atavism and animal growth are great companion Buffs. Freedom of movement comes on at level 4 and is always good. Fickle winds is a great party buff against ranged enemies, and wall of stone is just a solid all purpose spell.