PDA

View Full Version : Frankenstein was not a 17th level spellcaster

nonsi
2015-11-13, 03:35 AM
Does anyone other than myself find Awaken Construct SC,p.21 to be too high in level?

I have a few more issues with that spell:
1. Humanoid-associated... utterly pointless.
2. Since a brain is required, what implications does it have on resurrection of the construct/brain's original owner?
3. Why is that spell so much better than Create Greater Undead to merit 5000xp toll?

noob
2015-11-13, 05:48 AM
They through a Golem with PA would deal too much high damage?
(Yes I think the way they balance is at that level of childish)

spikeof2010
2015-11-13, 08:59 PM
This is homebrew design, I recommend asking the folks in role playing this questiom.

Steampunkette
2015-11-13, 09:28 PM
Frankenstein wasn't a caster at all. He was a mad scientist in a novel which will never be perfectly illustrated by jamming him into a game system designed a century later to cover a completely different set of circumstances.

Though if you -really- want to put Frankenstein into a D&D game I'd suggest looking into ritual scroll casting and resource sacrificing, since that's essentially what he did in hamfisted game terms.

noob
2015-11-14, 05:11 AM
joke/Everyone knows he was a level 1 wizard who used some tricks for early ninth level spells access./joke

AtlasSniperman
2015-11-14, 08:21 AM
joke/Everyone knows he was a level 1 wizard who used some tricks for early ninth level spells access./joke

Like that you can research a 9th level spell without needing to be able to cast it, and you can scribe a scroll of any spell you know, not just any spell you can cast?

noob
2015-11-14, 08:36 AM
No I was rather speaking of a combination of domain wizard and the ability to cast spells of one school spontaneously and a feat that allow to sacrifice two slots of one level to get one slot of that level+1 and the bonus slots from being domain wizard allowing you to cast those ninth level spells then you cast gate(first round with that build)then ask the gated Efreet to give your wish to have the scroll.
You need only 1000 XP this way(for the gate)
Then you can cast the spell.
While with your method you need a lot more PX and GP and time.

AtlasSniperman
2015-11-14, 08:47 AM
No I was rather speaking of a combination of domain wizard and the ability to cast spells of one school spontaneously and a feat that allow to sacrifice two slots of one level to get one slot of that level+1 and the bonus slots from being domain wizard allowing you to cast those ninth level spells then you cast gate(first round with that build)then ask the gated Efreet to give your wish to have the scroll.
You need only 1000 XP this way(for the gate)
Then you can cast the spell.
While with your method you need a lot more PX and GP and time.

Three things I get the impression(from the story) that ol' frank had plenty of.