PDA

View Full Version : Need an Earth based boss battle.

TheifofZ
2015-11-13, 06:12 AM
So I've noticed that, a lot of the time in my usual group, boss battles are merely scaled up encounters.
With my current campaign, I wanted to do something different. Certainly, I have plans to make the rest of the world interesting as well, but I really want to make unique and challenging boss fights.
I've figured out the boss fights for the other 3 elements, a challenging final boss/BBEG, and have plans to make the major dungeons each unique and interesting, but I can't get this first boss fight figured out.
For Fire, the boss fight is going to take place in a semi-active volcano, with a boss monster that absorbs fire while the floor periodically erupts into plumes of lava and flame that block vision and deal fire damage in the area around them.
For Water, an earlier thread gave me the idea to have a shark riding a water elemental. Given that the fight is going to take place at the bottom of the ocean, and there are a few other minor details I intend to use, it'll be challenging, strange, and awesome.
For Air, the boss fight is going to take place in a fortress built into/out of a massive thunderhead cloud, with gusts of wind, sheets of blinding rain, and the occasional thunderbolt. Of course, flight is absolutely required to even be present there.

So help a mediocre GM out, playground. The only requirements are: The boss itself has to tie into the element of earth somehow, and the battle should include something, a gimmick if you will, that makes it more than just your standard hack-n-slash. It's fine if the fight is in a cave or the top of a mountain, as long as it's very definitely tied to the concept of 'Earth' too.

Gustaff
2015-11-13, 06:33 AM
After thinking for a while, I though of this: characters must descend a cleft where two tectonic plates encounter. The entire fight must be done while climbing in a narrow space, where flying is kinda obstructed. The boss can walk freely both inside the earth or in the gap between the plates, and can also makes stones fall into its adversaries or provoke an earthquake to make them fall or press them between the plates. He can also create spiky stones or stone arms to hold them in place.

Rubik
2015-11-13, 06:35 AM
Make it a Tucker's kobolds encounter.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=8664950&postcount=25
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=8665487&postcount=30

Depending on the level, add in a pair of thoqquas and some earth elementals to harry the party in hit-and-burrow tactics while the kobolds keep them occupied.

noob
2015-11-13, 06:40 AM
Everything which goes from the concept players walk somewhere in the universe without having nuked it from long range with 4003050 tons rocks simply does not works at level 1 or higher.

TheifofZ
2015-11-13, 08:03 AM
After thinking for a while, I though of this: characters must descend a cleft where two tectonic plates encounter. The entire fight must be done while climbing in a narrow space, where flying is kinda obstructed. The boss can walk freely both inside the earth or in the gap between the plates, and can also makes stones fall into its adversaries or provoke an earthquake to make them fall or press them between the plates. He can also create spiky stones or stone arms to hold them in place.
I like that. I'll probably include narrow walkways and ledges so the party isn't completely unable to respond, but that is really close to what I want.
If anyone else has an idea that works for this, that'd be great, though. I like having options to compare and work with.

Make it a Tucker's kobolds encounter.

Depending on the level, add in a pair of thoqquas and some earth elementals to harry the party in hit-and-burrow tactics while the kobolds keep them occupied.
Tucker's Kobolds are terrifying and all, and always a strong encounter. But I can't see how exactly they fit the theme. And 'Tucker's Kobolds with earth elementals' feels like that last bit was tacked on, rather than the earth being a core concept of the encounter.
No, I'd planned on using them in the dungeon leading up to the boss, anyway. So I definitely can't use them there.

Everything which goes from the concept players walk somewhere in the universe without having nuked it from long range with 4003050 tons rocks simply does not works at level 1 or higher.
... I don't understand what you're trying to say here. But it sounds like a terrible plan anyway, because it involves 4003050 tons of rock.

OldTrees1
2015-11-13, 08:18 AM
Perhaps a take on the resilience nature of Earth:

Have the Boss be some large earth elemental with 3 stages
Stage 1: Lots of DR but slow(few) attacks
Stage 2: The outer layer has been fractured. Now the DR is lower(medium) but the attacks are faster
Stage 3: Low DR, attacks are now sweeping attacks(hit 3 squares each as per War Hulk)

FocusWolf413
2015-11-13, 08:54 AM
As for the boss, here's an idea: an Underdark Knight. At 12th (?) level, they get Earth Glide at will. Him go up to people and try to grapple them into the ground. It's terrifying, if nothing else.

If the fight is in a cave, make sure there's a lot of natural pillars for him to swim up. Have him burst out of walls, the ceiling, and the ground, slashing and grappling as he leaps through the air, only to splash back down into the cold stone at the end of his movement. Your party will be tasty seals to this great white shark.

Theodred theOld
2015-11-13, 10:21 AM
Epoch from the marvel universe come to mind. A living planetoid could really cause some problems.

noob
2015-11-13, 10:43 AM
... I don't understand what you're trying to say here. But it sounds like a terrible plan anyway, because it involves 4003050 tons of rock.
The players before going to a place first throws 4003050 of rocks at once(from very far) then suddenly turn the place into a place thousand of times hotter than the sun(from very far) then they send an army of 90090909090900909090 ice assasins to that place which are telepathically connected to them and which deals one centilion point of damage when looked at by a non allied person and which can retreat by a free action.
All that can be done at level 1 if you get 1000 PX and are a wizard.
We need to know which rudisplorking level the players have and how tactic and prepared they are.
without high amounts of rudisplorking a player can already though the expense of ten years of preparation(Yes we have the ten minute adventure per decade phenomenon it makes sense when the wizard start using fabricate) destroy a dungeon entirely before starting archaeological research(and suffocate every inhabitant(wall of fire for eating the oxygen) and deal lots of damage to them through the fact burrowing speed does not immune you to damage from falling rocks)

Uncle Pine
2015-11-13, 11:34 AM
It's fine if the fight is in a cave or the top of a mountain, as long as it's very definitely tied to the concept of 'Earth' too.

Why having the fight tied to the concept of earth when you can have the players fight THE Earth? Sh*t tends to get real when those Red Wizards in Area 51 finally manage to animate the planet and awaken it, especially if the planet disagrees with their worldly view. Just tone down a genius loci (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/geniusLoci.htm) or tone up a Colossal animated object. What level is the party anyway?
Regarding the Genius Loci idea, one thing to keep in mind is that Enslave usually requires a living target, so you may want to modify that if you want the genius loci to possess the Earth. Other than that, the creature is a perfect example of "epic creature with tons of hp, good melee damage potential and absolutely zero tactics".
About the animated object idea, the kaiju template from one of the Dragon Magazines comes to mind: there's even an adaptation sidebar in case you want to add the template to creatures other than animals, magical beasts and a few others (like constructs, in this case). Or you could use several animated objects, to simulate the multiple arms that an animated Earth would probably have. A spellcaster using Blood Wind on Earth could be interesting if you decide to Awaken it (as Blood Wind requires an Int score of at least 4).

EDIT: Add creative use of terrain and terrain elements to turn the fight from "kill the big chunk of hp" to "memorable encounter". In the example above, I imagine that if the fight really takes place in Area 51 (after taking care of the hostile Red Wizards, probably) there would be various structures and military weapons, like nukes. In other words, things that both the Hulking Hurler and the guerrilla tactician will love.

Flickerdart
2015-11-13, 11:47 AM
Persisting undermaster is an excellent start. You could have a two-headed creature with Multivoice where one half controls the undermaster and the other half uses Knockback + AoOs to push the party back into the dangers they manage to avoid.

SwordChucks
2015-11-13, 11:50 AM
The players before going to a place first throws 4003050 of rocks at once(from very far) then suddenly turn the place into a place thousand of times hotter than the sun(from very far) then they send an army of 90090909090900909090 ice assasins to that place which are telepathically connected to them and which deals one centilion point of damage when looked at by a non allied person and which can retreat by a free action.
All that can be done at level 1 if you get 1000 PX and are a wizard.
We need to know which rudisplorking level the players have and how tactic and prepared they are.
without high amounts of rudisplorking a player can already though the expense of ten years of preparation(Yes we have the ten minute adventure per decade phenomenon it makes sense when the wizard start using fabricate) destroy a dungeon entirely before starting archaeological research(and suffocate every inhabitant(wall of fire for eating the oxygen) and deal lots of damage to them through the fact burrowing speed does not immune you to damage from falling rocks)

I'm not sure what any of this means, but if I did I feel I would understand the far realms better.

noob
2015-11-13, 03:31 PM
I'm not sure what any of this means, but if I did I feel I would understand the far realms better.
Joke/
https://www.library.unlv.edu/sites/default/files/styles/blog_insert/public/images/blogs/inceptionism03.jpg?itok=PWMwCV-q
ezr'""àero
grapschulltz./joke
(I really like this picture)

SwordChucks
2015-11-13, 03:40 PM
Joke/
https://www.library.unlv.edu/sites/default/files/styles/blog_insert/public/images/blogs/inceptionism03.jpg?itok=PWMwCV-q
ezr'""àero
grapschulltz./joke
(I really like this picture)

I think I do too.

To be more helpful to the OP, an antlion enemy ala most final fantasy games would allow you to use burrow tactics, and lots of sand for obscuring vision and slowing movement via quicksand.

Theodred theOld
2015-11-13, 04:54 PM
Maybe an underground cave complex that provides access to the interior of a mountain or large hill that turns out to be some sort of rock creature (elemental probably but I'm sure there's other stuff that'd fit). As the players explore the dungeon it can be actively opposing them by changing the tunnels and setting up traps.

SwordChucks
2015-11-13, 05:02 PM
To build on Theodred's idea, you could go Shadow of the Colossus and have the cave system they're exploring be the boss. Half way through the creature stands up and heads for a town or something and the PCs have to stop it before it wrecks the place.

You could have outdoor sections so they know what's going on and have climb checks and falling rocks. Once they reach it's "brain" the real boss battle begins, with what ever else you decide to use.

TheifofZ
2015-11-13, 05:11 PM
For those of you who think you need to know the details of the party:
The expected level is fairly open ended; somewhere between 8 and 18. There's a fighter guy, a wizard summoner, a battle sorcerer that I'm letting go into Prestige Paladin due to lack of healer, and a bard.
I've been fairly explicit that they need to keep their cheese to a minimum, and am keeping a wary eye on the wizard because of that.
They currently are at the point where the campaign has opened up: There are 4 places they need to go, and the journey to each, and then through the dungeons, is going to take up much of the actual leveling. But I'm not forcing them to go to any of the places in specific order, although the spell options they have for getting places are going to limit their options.
So they could do earth-fire-water-wind ala Final Fantasy 1; or water, wind, earth, fire; or any other combination.
That's why I'm drafting general draft ideas, rather than specific information.
I really like the tunneling, multi-staged fight, climbing, and the sand to obscure vision ideas.
If the party goes for the earth dungeon later, then I will likely also use the whole 'Dungeon is actually the boss fight' thing, too.

So I think I've got something I can use now. Thanks guys.
If you want to keep throwing ideas, though, I won't complain. More to work with is always welcome.

Uncle Pine
2015-11-13, 05:41 PM
If you really like the idea of having them fight the stage/dungeon/earth/etc. you could also have them only ever mention THREE paths for the players to choose. This will both initially subvert the players' expectation as soon as they embark in their "elemental journey" and subvert them again when they discover that the final boss was just a warm up: the true final boss has been there from the start!
Brought to you by Cliché Storm™.

Arbane
2015-11-13, 06:15 PM
To be more helpful to the OP, an antlion enemy ala most final fantasy games would allow you to use burrow tactics, and lots of sand for obscuring vision and slowing movement via quicksand.

The Gm needs to plan around the possibility of flying PCs, too - and antlion can't do much against them.
I like the 'fight in a crevasse' or 'fight in room with lots of big pillars' + Earth Glide ideas - those allow a ground-bound enemy a lot more options against fliers.

Glimbur
2015-11-13, 08:27 PM
If the Earth itself is your enemy, you'd better expect the terrain to be changing under your feet. I like the idea of fighting on narrow ledges against someone who can earth glide, so throw in some walls and pillars that raise and lower. It's probably easy to go overboard with that and make it too lethal, so maybe decide ahead of time on some rules for yourself.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-11-13, 08:36 PM
What level is your party?

If they're somewhat low level, a Mineral Warrior (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) opponent with decent spell defenses should work. Maybe combine Mineral Warrior and Spellwarped (MM3) on a Dragonkin (Draconomicon) Cleric 1, which will make a CR 5 large opponent with extremely decent physical ability scores. Each Cleric level is +1/2 CR until he has seven, so every two additional Cleric levels is +1 CR until he reaches CR 8 with 4th level spells. Give him Earth Devotion for one of his domains, along with Power Attack and Combat Reflexes, and throw in DMM: Quicken if he's got spells of a decent level.

For a higher CR, make the opponent an Earth Dwarf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#racesOfEarth) Cleric/Thaumaturgist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/thaumaturgist.htm) with the Earth domain and Earth Devotion, and Spontaneous Domain Casting in PH2. He's used (Greater) Planar Ally to gain as many (Large/Huge) Earth Elemental minions as you think he'll need. His lair has (Un)Hallow cast over it, affecting all non-earth-worshipping creatures within with an Earthbind spell (SC). Use difficult terrain, put him on a high spot so opponents have to run up some steps at the back of it to reach him, and his elementals will hide within the floor/walls until the fight begins. Give him an array of earth-themed offensive spells (Cometfall in SC), maybe even give a few elementals a Ring of Spell Storing with Wall of Stone in it.

XionUnborn01
2015-11-14, 02:34 AM
I really like the idea of something like a living mountain. So they slowly work their way into the mountain and the caverns and openings are actively trying to stop them. Tunnels try to close as they go through, caverns slowly expand and contract, and then the further they get there's enemies starting to pop up that ear easily defeated. and then enemies get higher and higher CR until they get to the heart of the mountain. The heart of the mountain can be a puzzle room if the PCs are tired of fighting/almost dead, or a fight with any of the various enemies listed in the thread already.

TheifofZ
2015-11-14, 05:59 AM
I really like the idea of something like a living mountain. So they slowly work their way into the mountain and the caverns and openings are actively trying to stop them. Tunnels try to close as they go through, caverns slowly expand and contract, and then the further they get there's enemies starting to pop up that ear easily defeated. and then enemies get higher and higher CR until they get to the heart of the mountain. The heart of the mountain can be a puzzle room if the PCs are tired of fighting/almost dead, or a fight with any of the various enemies listed in the thread already.

If they do this one later, yes. That was almost exactly my plan to the letter, based on what everyone has suggested.
At lower levels, they won't really have the staying power to make that really viable, since they lack a true primary buffer/healer. Once their summoner gets planar binding, though, this sort of thing will be the bare minimum required to challenge them.

noob
2015-11-14, 06:02 AM
And if they stay outside the mountain and starts doing full round attacks with adamentine great hammers?
How many hp would this mountain have?

TheifofZ
2015-11-14, 06:06 AM
And if they stay outside the mountain and starts doing full round attacks with adamentine great hammers?
How many hp would this mountain have?

Yes. Let's attack the Colossal+ size monster from the outside, where it can reach us with it's Colossal+ size fists/claws/hooves/fangs/whatever-I-decide and massive strength bonuses.
This is a great plan. I like this plan. (What color for sarcasm, again? Blue?)
Any plan that involves the DM picking up literally dozens of d10s to roll damage is a terrible plan.

Also, of course, there's the fact that they won't know it's alive, you know. None of them have lifesense, and any living mountain type monster is obviously not going to be moving often, if it's not well known.
Unless someone spoils it for them. And why would I do that?

noob
2015-11-14, 06:12 AM
And if they fly and start shooting with bows?
Anyway If I knew a dungeon was a creature I would never ever think to the possibility to get into it because I would think "grappling rules/swallowing rules are a nightmare and is infinitely worse than taking full round attacks"
Because most monsters with an interior are way worse when they swallow you.
There is antecedent of creature wanting people to get inside of them to kill them like house sized mimics.

Uncle Pine
2015-11-14, 06:16 AM
Multiheaded Lernaean purple worm agrees.

TheifofZ
2015-11-14, 06:37 AM
And if they fly and start shooting with bows?
Anyway If I knew a dungeon was a creature I would never ever think to the possibility to get into it because I would think "grappling rules/swallowing rules are a nightmare and is infinitely worse than taking full round attacks"
There is antecedent of creature wanting people to get inside of them to kill them like house sized mimics.

A creature with a size of Colossal+ is any creature larger than Colossal, meaning it's actual size is entirely open ended. Because reach scales with size, something absurdly massive, say a mountain 2000 ft by 2000 ft by 2000 ft, has a reach of around 2000 ft as well; twice the maximum range of longbows, and tall enough that any player character firing straight down would have an absurdly difficult time simply breathing the atmosphere.

But here's the thing: You aren't one of my players. They are going into this entire campaign, and more specifically, this dungeon, blind.
They will be told that there are four dungeons they need to go to, with four horrible monsters that need to be killed. They will be on a time limit, meaning the wizard won't have a decade to prepare his shenanigans, and NPC casters aren't likely to reach high levels, meaning that finding exactly the right high level spells they need is going to be difficult and time consuming, if at all possible, especially since they don't have a cleric with them.
I don't even plan on letting the wizard copy spells of 7th or higher; this is a world-ending catastrophe the party is preventing. What high level casters are going to just sit around on their bums and not help? The lack of swarms of NPCs doing the job of saving the day without the PCs tells me that there aren't any. And that means next to no scrolls of such a high level in the first place. The few that do exist will require far more than just a bag of gold.

This isn't Theoretical Optimization ****, here. This isn't an open forum with my players. I don't tell them anything they don't learn because half of them metagame with everything they know out of game already.
This is a mid-powered party with limited options and resources going on a challenging adventure to save the world from powerful foes they know nothing about.

noob
2015-11-14, 07:18 AM
You think your players are not reading this thread?
They could be doing this without having said they were doing(This is not lying and you never said in this thread that you did not wanted players to read).
Then when they start getting very high and start letting dangerous things fall on the mountain what will you say at that time?(also they might just use a kwalish submersible and put it on a platform and animate the platform and cast flight on the platform and now they do not have problems with space since it is perfectly isolated and their flying animated objects starts helping them to throw heavy stuff on the mountain)
Then about reach with size categories know that colossal creatures have a reach of 30 feet no matter how huge it is because there is no size categories above colossal(only one pseudo size category but it is a virtual one no matter how heavy and huge you are if your mass and size are above the starting point of colossal you are colossal) and there is no rules saying that the reach is directly proportional to your volume(only a size category table with various reaches).
Then entering is also infinitely more crazy if the mountain have a long range: you will take AOO at each step toward it(and it will probably wait that the team gets 200 foot inside of its reach for being sure to kill them) if you plan entering it: nobody can survive this(and so entering is impossible) if the mountain have a reach proportional to its size.
(The mountain probably does not wants people to enter it if it does not fight better stuff inside of it than stuff outside of it)

Aldrakan
2015-11-14, 08:54 AM
Gosh, it's almost like he expects his players to engage with the scenario the DM gives them instead of deliberately doing everything they can to avoid it. But who ever heard of people playing D&D because they like to battle monsters in interesting ways using thematically appropriate abilities of characters they created instead of trying to break everything because they can.

Ger. Bessa
2015-11-14, 07:38 PM
This is a big misdirection. He wants to see his players shoot arrows at a mountain while there is just a vampire (and then a lich) in the cavern.

Makes me want to redo that "3 white mages" playthrough. Solo fighter is way to easy.

TheifofZ
2015-11-14, 08:38 PM
Gosh, it's almost like he expects his players to engage with the scenario the DM gives them instead of deliberately doing everything they can to avoid it. But who ever heard of people playing D&D because they like to battle monsters in interesting ways using thematically appropriate abilities of characters they created instead of trying to break everything because they can.

Someone who only plays wizards, and as soon as possible, hides in a demi-plane and only sends out projections and summoned minions to do their adventuring for them. IE: Someone that takes part in TO far too much, and not in actual gameplay.

And if any of my players are reading this without having told me, then they're fully capable of not metagaming this in the first place.

Also, yes. You have caught on, Bessa. I am, indeed, very loosely basing the concept for the bosses on FF1.
Not any of the rest of the game, though, and especially not the BBEG. Chaos was always a somewhat boring final boss, both as a fight and as a villain.

nijineko
2015-11-14, 09:48 PM
have you decided, or are you still open to suggestions?

TheifofZ
2015-11-14, 10:03 PM
have you decided, or are you still open to suggestions?

If the party rushes, they could, in theory, hit the encounter in question in 3 weeks.
Any reasonable suggestions are still entirely welcome.

Heck, if you guys want to make suggestions to the other fights too, that'd be fine.

Theodred theOld
2015-11-16, 11:28 PM
If the party rushes, they could, in theory, hit the encounter in question in 3 weeks.
Any reasonable suggestions are still entirely welcome.

Heck, if you guys want to make suggestions to the other fights too, that'd be fine.

In that case, I think alot about the different phases of matter. Earth doesn't just mean dirt or rock. It can also be metal (ty toph) or lava. Water can be steam or ice.

Eox
2015-11-16, 11:38 PM
Wind Waker (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7c4Ik_5GL0) has got you covered. Whenever I'm hurting for boss battle ideas, I just look over Zelda games.

Ger. Bessa
2015-11-17, 10:58 AM
Throw them a curveball and use Scarmiglione, Cagnazzo, Barbaricia and Rubicante. That will be way more original.

I think Cerberus, 2-headed dragon, Echnida and Arhiman were supposed to be that too, but I was never able to tell what element each boss represented. The magnetic cave with a dark elf sorcerer could be cool for an earth based dungeon.

As long as you don't have a bishounen sneak-attack-skewer the party chick with a 2 meter katana, you're pretty safe. No one will ever know were you got those ideas. (Avoid anything with only one wing to be safe, that and underwater football.)

Kol Korran
2015-11-20, 02:22 AM
Hi there! I saw the thread some time ago,but didn't have the to write a proper response. I'll try to do that now.

I'd like to make a suggestion- From your plans forth other elements, it seems that your focus on the elemental battles and aspects, is purely a physical one. But, if you take a bit of a look at the traditional Greek elements, and their more elaborated meanings- be they physical, spiritual, and more, you might be able to create a more engaging experience, a fuller experience. I'll try to detail what I know of these, and some common related themes, and possibly how these can be used...

So... Earth, Water, Air and Fire... Why these 4? Well, in the ancient world, these were actually a very simple, and very basic grasp of basic states of physics/ chemistry: Solid, Fluid, Gas and Energy. The 3 basic states of matter (Yes, I know there are more, but that wasn't apparent then. This won't be an exact physics class) and energy, which is basically- a power of change. These elements were however greatly connected to various themes, concepts, and beliefs. There s an intriguing duality between Earth and Air which act as sort of opposites, and Water and Fire, which can seem opposite, but also share some linked themes.

I'll start with what you've asked about...

Earth
The earth is the Solid. It is hard, but seldom changes. As such, it is seen as dependable, unchanging, safe, but at the same time, resolute, final, stern. It is in many ways, the force of the inevitable, of things staying the same. (It is no great leap to understand the traditional depicted dwarf culture from this for example). As such, Earth has a few linked themes:
- The Earth doesn't change: The earth retains it's shape for most times. It is solid, and changes in occur in time gaps longer than we can grasp, so it appear unchanging. It is a certainty. For the most part, this is good, as you can depend on the earth- you can travel on it, you can farm it, you can build upon it. But the changeability can also be problematic, as when you want to change something, it is difficult.
- The Earth is Safe: This is exceptionally made clear when compared to the other elements: Air, Water and fire, who all change shape, and who seem to be far more dangerous than the Earth. You can stand on the earth ("Both feet on the ground") You can farm on it, you can build on it, you can DEPEND on it.
- The Earth is Stern, emotionless: The Earth is passive, it does not care, for good or bad, it is just THERE. In many of the myths, forces of the other elements show much more involvement in mortal life, aiding or hindering, they show they care. The Earth does not. It looks on mortals, with it's ancient and unchanging demeanor, and does not care. It is emotionless, in any way that we grasp it.
- The Earth is the realm of Death: Nothing is more unchangeable than death, so the earth is their realm. We put our dead in the earth, and in many myths, especially the Greek ones, the realms of the dead lie deep under the earth. The Earth is heavily linked with the afterlife, and many attribute undeath and such to it.
- The Earth holds Secrets: This is less well known, but the earth in many old myths was a sort of repository of secrets, both good and bad. And it was their guardian. I think this came from it also being a realm of the dead, and the fact that people discovered riches in it (Mines), strange geological features (Which were seen as secret portents), and so on... The Earth is the holder of secrets, though it is a silent keeper)
- The Earth sleeps, yet in awakening it's rage is terrible: Quite a few myths consider the earth a sort of a living dormant creature, but when you wake it, terrible things happen. This came from natural disasters- earthquakes, avalanches and the like. Even D&D I think was influenced by it, with it's myth of the Tarrasque. (Not fully certain here, but I think there is an influence).

Possible ideas for Earth exploration and battles:
The theme of "Unchanging/ inevitable/ permanent" and so on should be prevalent. Things old as time, be they constructs, undead, or natural phenomena. In the words of agent Smith from the Matrix- " is inevitable". The party is trying to bring change to a place that is it's opposite. Have the party efforts meet with great amount of resistance, but not necessary fights, but just physical hardhips- blocked passges, an impossible climb, and so on... when they do meet guardians, have them be relentless, but also emotionless, feeling timeless, constant, ageless...

As for creatures, I'd suggest to use petrifying creatures (Though I may make the mechanism a bit different, so it's not a Save or Die entirely. I'd look at the PF mechanics, or make petrifying cause dex damage or such). Undead creatures, and "natural" constructs...

Build an atmosphere of "nothing changes", though the exploration may be hard, they are no big surprises, not until... they waken the earth. And when that happens- let all havoc take place! Earthquakes, avalanches, a great roar of a rumble!

Air
Air is gas, it is the fastest, most volatile, most changing of all elements. It is also unseen, and can be highly destructive. As such, ancient cultures many times linked it with magic.
- The air is ever changing: Just look at the weather, at a dust devil. The air is the constant force of change, of motion, of movement. It is unpredictable, and has the force to move things. It can be calm as a gentle breeze, it can be horrific like a hurricane.
- The Air is dangerous: Storms and weather were greatly feared in the old world, due to their unpredictable manner, and their great effect. They could ruin crops, they could cause floods, kill people, drive ships and more. The old world feared the weather, and a lot of old world superstitions and religions focused on appearing the weather.
- The Air is the realm of the Gods: The sky looked majestic, and the weather was powerful. Many linked the abode of supernatural beings to the sky, and their power to weather (Heaven, Zeus and more). The power of the sky was at many times seen as the gods power, and many leading gods had control over the weather. The very ability to fly, to get INTO the air, was seen as a sign of either powerful magic, or deities, or most likely- both. Even look at depictions of angels and more... wings and being able to fly is important.

Possible ideas for Air exploration and battles:
Where the earth was predictable, unchanging, the Air is it's exact opposite. Things can quickly change from round to round, and change rules the scene. have random effects, changing conditions, and more. Things should feel fleeting, all the time.

The Air is feared, and as such has great destructive power. Burstf of violent energy or enemies should be common. Whether you'd liek to link it to great magic, or divine beings, is up to you, but angelic beings or such are greatly connected in myth to Air.

Water
Water is a very intriguing element, and is greatly connected to both the life giving rain, and wells, and to the dangerous sea. While it is the fluid, it is not merely a state between Earth and Sky, but holds it's own concepts.
- Water is Life: A person can go without food for a long time, but not without water. The connection of this element to life has logn been proven. Fire is similar in this respect.
- Water is horrible death: Suffocation is one of the worst way to die, and drowning was (and still is) considered horrible. Mostly to sailor, and adventurers at sea, this was a never present awareness, and threat. Again, Fire is a bit similar,only with burning.
- Water changes: Water is more akin to Air than Earth in this regard, and is seen as a force of change, rather than stability. Again, mostly due to the sea. However, water can be used to travel thoguh less dependent than the Earth.
- Water is daring, is adventure: Many of the old legends, in many cultures, revolve around sea exploration. A lot of tales of adventure revolve around them, and courage is a great requirement for any who would dare water. Water is exploration, the unknown...
- Water engulfs: matter can dissolve in water, and even great animals can be engulfed by the sea. Water take things into itself, and make it part of itself. For good, or bad...
- Water can transform: many alchemical processes are related o solution, to changes of water content (Potions anyone?). As such, it is considered a great changer. It can carve the earth, to make rivers...

Possible ideas for water exploration and battles:
This should require some great sea/ ocean exploration, and traveling by ship at least for sometime. The unknown, the dangers of traversing water should be clear, as well as their changing nature. In water battles, the possibility of engulfment, fluid enemies who can change shape, and drowning should be prominent.

Fire
Fire ispwoer stolen from the god. As such, it is soemwhat magic. It can transform meat, it can burn enemies, it can give warmth in the cold, it can change ore to tools, and more, much more. Fire is the energy.
- Fire is life: Fire as helped lfie so much, it is deeply connected to it.
- Fire is mortal, human: Out of all the elements, fire is the one that most connects to humanity- it is short lived, it consumes, it flickers and changes, it adapts, it fights, it shines brightly, and then fades away quickly, and it changes... Fire is the tool of humanity, for better or worse, and symbolize the mortal experience.
- Fire is dangerous: it burns, and that is one of the most terrible pains a person can experience.
- Fire transforms: the term "A trial by fire" comes from an old belief that matter changes through fire, and so can mortals. Changing hurts, burns, but makes you into something new.
- Fire is community: The hearth, the bonfire, the tribal council. All of these feature fire in their center, as a place of warmth, of protection, of food. Fire brings people together.
- Fire is technology: It was one of the basic inventions/ discoveries of humanity, and enabled so much more. Fire is advancement, progress... "Fire of the forge" and all that...
- Fire consumes: Through all ofi t's benefits, in it's nature, fire is a taker- it consumes wood, flesh, forests and crops, whatever it needs in order to keep on going. Just like mortals...

Possible ideas for fire exploration and battles:
As the most mortal of all elements, I'd suggest that exploring this elements will not be like the others- not like exploring mostly supernatural or mostly geographical wild locations. Rather, I'd make it about exploring a civilized place, or ruins, with the main opponents be some sort of a community that revers fire, to an extreme. They will be great forgers and inventors, and their combatants passionate, fast moving, fast lived. Fire as a tool for shaping the world, and for shaping life. You can make their power focused on consuming and burning- consuming their own health/ hit points to whatever to burn more brightly, more fiercely for a time.

The theme of transformation, of changing by fire could be made prevalent as well, as fire changes people, or scenes. make them feel the ENERGY!

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Aleolus
2015-11-20, 08:23 AM
Its really quite simple. Take a page from Greek Mythology. Build an NPC with PC class levels of whatever seems appropriate. Have said NPC claim to be the child of Mother Gaia or an Earth based god or similar. Give him Earth Glide at will , as well as Fast Healing and bonuses to his physical ability scores, both of which only apply when he is in contact with earth or rock.

Want to make it more challenging? Change out the Fast Healing for Regeneration, so the only way they can actually beat him is to basically juggle them in midair

PraxisVetli
2015-11-26, 10:23 AM
I remembered an encounter I did ages ago for my players, it's mildly relevant to your mountain idea.
They were on acheron investigating a sudden explosion in the steel predator population.
Upon arrival they noticed one of the floating steel chunks was literally pouring them out of cave structures.
A long time of killing preds later, they discovered that the chunk was actually a giant hive like structure. After collapsing the caves, the hive rotated, revealing it was a gigantic crab-like being, the queen with the hive growing on its back.
Encounter, combat, yadayada.
Anyway, you could do something like termites or ants, given your earth theme, with the mountain being both hive and queen.

gawwy
2015-11-26, 04:56 PM
I was working on some earth themed encounters for a campain. the most earthy one was as below.

2 Minotaur great horns (MM4 page 100) CR 7 each. Abilities of note:

(ex) earthglide (The thematic ability)
(ex) tremorsense 120ft (its like xray vision but not)
(ex) natral cunning, (no flat foot for the rouge)
(ex,feat bonus) awesome blow knock back 10ft (AoO lock down build maybe?)
(su) warp earth, (**** over charger builds with no access to fly)

consider swaping the great fortitude and track feats out (why track on a creature with +3 survival. ftw WotC)

Their hammers were use activated items of wall of stone (smash hammer into ground as a standard action to activate and cast Wall of stone at cl what ever)

the fight took place in a large underground arena (my game was a 5 bards game so the fluff around the fight isnt reusable for you really)

The Minotaur's used their hammers in the first round to put walls around the pcs trying to trap and separate them.

Then they would take their time to set up devastating double charges, charging through the walls via earth glide.

This encounter is technically a CR 9 by the book so feel free to dial up with templates (looking at you mineral warrior) minions like mineral warrior goblins. and class levels in runescard beserker.

whats the CR on a CR 7 11HD Minotaur with barbarian 1/runescard berserker 10 ontop? then add the mineral warrior template?

other options include dungeon-crasher fighter and shock-trooper for wall and the throw them into walls.

build them as a king of smack combo pair?

I dont know the level of op for your party but the base encounter can be scaled up thematically to deal with most direct damage style parties. ****ing with LOS with wall gives them options against most

one of the big things would be finding a way to force the pcs to touch the ground all the time. wizards teleporting at mid op shouldn't be a huge issue cause its still costing them action economy. If your in a high op game this encounter might not be suitable without significant metabuilding.