PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (By RAW) III

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

The J Pizzel
2007-06-26, 02:37 PM
Q 186
Is Lord Silvanos the GOD of all things RAW??

crazedloon
2007-06-26, 02:58 PM
Q 187

How do multipliers stack when dealing with damage. If you attack with a spirited charge for example and then critical do you multiply the initial damage by 3 (with lance) then by 3 again for a total of a 9 multiplier or do you add the multipliers to get initial x 6?

Jasdoif
2007-06-26, 02:58 PM
A186

Lord_Silvanos is most definitely the Popcorn Tyrant. I can't say for certain if the title also confers deific RAW capabilities, however.

A187

Neither. Your total multipler is x5. "x3" is 2 more then "x1", so you add 2 to for the second tripling.

Sometimes a rule makes you multiply a number or a die roll. As long as you’re applying a single multiplier, multiply the number normally. When two or more multipliers apply to any abstract value (such as a modifier or a die roll), however, combine them into a single multiple, with each extra multiple adding 1 less than its value to the first multiple. Thus, a double (×2) and a double (×2) applied to the same number results in a triple (×3, because 2 + 1 = 3).

When in doubt, do the following: Add all the multipliers (3 + 3, makes 6), subtract the number of multipliers (2, makes 4), and add 1 (makes 5). So putting x3 with x3 makes x5.

Rad
2007-06-26, 03:31 PM
A 186

Q 186
Is Lord Silvanos the GOD of all things RAW??

Comes close :smallsmile:
If nothing else, he's extremely competent and gives a lot of time to the people asking questions here.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-06-26, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the quick answer! Here is another thats confusing our group of DnD newbies:

Q 185: If an Imp polymorphed into a human, what would be his physical stats? What about an Elf?

And I'll post more if thats not enough information.

A. 185

Humans are not featured in the MM, but assumed forms, through polymorph or alternate form, use the basic stats for an average member of that specie.
Average members are assigned either a 10 or 11 in a stat before racial modifiers. (You could determine randomly for each of the physical stats in the human case)

If an example elf is not featured either you could do the same and then afterwards assign their racial modifiers, dependent on type of elf.

A case could be made for allowing the use of the elite array, but then we are moving out of RAW territory.

Note that an Imp's alternate form ability does not rely on polymorph since the latest CORE errata (also known as the Polymorph Purge).

Devil, Imp
Monster Manual, page 56
Replace the text for Alternate Form with the following
text:
Alternate Form (Su): An imp can assume another form
at will as a standard action. Each imp can assume one or
two forms from the following list: Small or Medium
monstrous spider, raven, rat, and boar.

The list of common forms are know made the only possible forms.

Also note the massive errata on Alternate Form.

Alternate Form (Page 305)
Make the following changes.
Delete the second sentence of the entry.
Add the following text to the body of the ability
description:
A true seeing spell or ability reveals the creature’s
natural form. A creature using alternate form reverts to
its natural form when killed, but separated body parts
retain their shape. A creature cannot use alternate form
to take the form of a creature with a template.
Add the following text to Line 1 of the changes:
If the new form has the aquatic subtype, the creature
gains that subtype as well.
Replace Line 2 of the changes with the following text:
—The creature loses the natural weapons, natural
armor, and movement modes of its original form, as
well as any extraordinary special attacks of its original
form not derived from class levels (such as the
barbarian’s rage class feature).
Add the following text to the end of Line 6 of the
changes:
Apply any changed physical ability score modifiers in
all appropriate areas with one exception: the creature
retains the hit points of its original form despite any
change to its Constitution.
Replace Line 7 of the changes with the following text:
— Except as described elsewhere, the creature retains
all other game statistics of its original form, including
(but not necessarily limited to) HD, hit points, skill
ranks, feats, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses.
Add the following text to the end of the entry.
—Any gear worn or carried by the creature that can’t be
worn or carried in its new form instead falls to the
ground in its space. If the creature changes size, any
gear it wears or carries that can be worn or carried in its
new form changes size to match the new size.
(Nonhumanoid-shaped creatures can’t wear armor
designed for humanoid-shaped creatures, and viceversa.)
Gear returns to normal size if dropped.

Belkarseviltwin
2007-06-26, 03:39 PM
Q 188
If you run (while charging) into something or someone that you don't know is there, what happens? Does it coult as a Bull Rush or Overrun attempt?
This question came up when someone asked about placing an invisible immovable rod in front of a charging giant.

Q 189
Can you choose not to gain the benefit of a feat? For example, if you have Improved Overrun but you want your opponent to avoid you for some reason.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-06-26, 04:03 PM
A. 188

RAW does not cover it explicitly.

Strictly speaking you are attempting to enter a square illegally and thus should be returned to the last legal position, in this case right before entering the opponents square.

Your suggestions does sound like reasonable house rules in some cases though.

Overrun or Bull Rush might be appropriate depending on size and how far you have already moved, but a penalty on the chargers roll should probably be applied.

Running into a rod, especially an immovable one, does sound painful, but again, it is outside the scope of RAW.

It could be treated as an attempt to move the rod while dealing some damage to the creature or attempting to trip it.

Sorry I have to be so vague. :smallredface:

A. 189

It depends on the type of feat.

Feats that change your physical qualities cannot be suppressed that easily.

And there are probably also some supernatural feats that you cannot suppress, but most extraordinary feats like the one you mention should not be a problem, especially not if they require some kind of action on your part.

The solution in this case is to apply common sense.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-06-26, 04:14 PM
A. 186

No, but tribute or offerings in popcorn to the tyrant will not be rejected. :smallamused:

Seriously though, if a Beholder (Elder Orb even) was the RAW GOD I am certain the rules (at the very least) would have been internally consistent and logic. :smalltongue:

Citizen Joe
2007-06-26, 05:24 PM
A 188

Option 1: The Immovable Rod counts as an obstacle. You can't charge through squares with obstacles in them. Since he presumably can't SEE the rod, he wouldn't know that he can't charge. So he would charge, hit the square with an obstacle and stop. If his target is not within reach, that's pretty much the end of the giant's turn. The giant suffers the same penalties for charging -2 AC (I think).

Option 2: The Immovable rod counts as a tiny creature. I believe you can walk right through squares with creatures 2 (?) sizes smaller than you, thus it is NOT an obstacle.

Wih
2007-06-26, 09:30 PM
A 188 Clarification

If something is 3 sizes different you can move through it's square unhindered, though there is a feat from Races of the Wild that makes it 2 size categories. However, it would still stop charging (moving through is still an option), as you cannot charge through an occupied square, or a square that would be counted as difficult terrain (and sometthing in the middle of the square would surely be obstructed terrain).

Alveanerle
2007-06-27, 02:55 AM
Q. 189
When hidden rouge makes multiple attacks (say rapid shot) versus unaware foe - when exactly does he become unhidden? After his first shot (and thus only one sneak attack) or after his last shot (gaining sneak attacks for all missiles)?

And... whatever's the ruling, could i get its reference?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-06-27, 03:21 AM
A. 189

The rogue becomes visible after the first shot.

However, depending on the situation, the opponent could still be flat-footed if he/sshe has not acted in the round yet.

Hide

It’s practically impossible (–20 penalty) to hide while attacking, running or charging.

If people are observing you, even casually, you can’t hide. ...

Sniping: If you’ve already successfully hidden at least 10 feet from your target, you can make one ranged attack, then immediately hide again. You take a –20 penalty on your Hide check to conceal yourself after the shot.

Action: Usually none. Normally, you make a Hide check as part of movement, so it doesn’t take a separate action. However, hiding immediately after a ranged attack (see Sniping, above) is a move action.

Can a character with Spring Attack who begins her
turn hidden move up to a foe, attack him, then return to a
position of hiding? Is she considered to be hiding (that is,
invisible to the foe) when she makes the attack? ...

Normally, a character can’t make a Hide check right after
attacking a foe, since that foe’s attention is now focused on her
(even if the attacker started her turn hidden or invisible). The
sniping option (on page 76 in the Player’s Handbook) allows a
character to make a move action to hide immediately after
making a ranged attack against a foe at least 10 feet away, but
this doesn’t apply to melee attacks (even those made with
reach). Even if the character has Spring Attack, she simply
can’t make a Hide check while she is being observed.
As far as your second question goes, unless the character’s
approach remains entirely in an area where she can hide (that
is, an area with sufficient cover or concealment to attempt a
Hide check), the character is not considered to be hidden still
when she makes the attack. Conceivably, your character might
begin her turn hidden in overgrowth, move up through the
undergrowth to attack a target, then move back to a hiding
place within the plants, having never left the area of
concealment. In this case, she’d be considered hidden when she
made the attack, although she’d have a –20 penalty on her Hide
check.

Peregrine
2007-06-27, 07:58 AM
Q. 190
You add your half your Strength bonus for off-hand attacks, your Strength bonus for on-hand attacks, and one and a half times your Strength bonus for two-handed attacks.

What if you don't have a bonus? Is it always just your Strength penalty added, no matter which or how many hands you use?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-06-27, 08:06 AM
A. 190

Yes, there is no difference when you have a penalty.
The penalty is equally applied no matter what or how many hands you use.

Alveanerle
2007-06-27, 08:15 AM
Q. 191
A
A wizard automaticly learns new spells each level. What happens if said wizard looses his spellbook? With new spellbook bought, can he add the two previously auto-acquired levels, or does he have to buy these spells again?
B
Other-class characters multiclassing into wizard - do they also automaticly gain spellbook with 3+int spells scribed for free?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-06-27, 08:41 AM
A 191
A
The wizard only gets free spells upon gaining a level. If he loses his spellbook, he must relearn rescribe the spells through normal methods or use spells gained from new levels to add them.

B
Yes.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-06-27, 09:31 AM
A. 191 Clarification

A 191
A
The wizard only gets free spells upon gaining a level. If he loses his spellbook, he must relearn the spells through normal methods or use spells gained from new levels to add them.

It is not necessary to actually relearn the spell in question and there is no risk of not understanding the spell to the extend that a new rank in Spellcraft is required, other than that the procedure is basically the same and you still need to decipher the magical text containing the spell.

Replacing and Copying Spellbooks

A wizard can use the procedure for learning a spell to reconstruct a lost spellbook. If she already has a particular spell prepared, she can write it directly into a new book at a cost of 100 gp per page (as noted in Writing a New Spell into a Spellbook, above). The process wipes the prepared spell from her mind, just as casting it would. If she does not have the spell prepared, she can prepare it from a borrowed spellbook and then write it into a new book.

Duplicating an existing spellbook uses the same procedure as replacing it, but the task is much easier. The time requirement and cost per page are halved.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-27, 11:24 AM
Q192

Can a locked gauntlet be used with a two-handed weapon? Specifically, can it be used with a double weapon and still grant the bonus vs. disarm attempts?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-06-27, 11:37 AM
A 192

I see nothing stating a locked gauntlet cannot be used with a Two-Handed Weapon—even a double weapon—and I can certainly imagine a setup that uses one.

Yeah, and it seems the bonuses against disarm attempts would stack.

Tormsskull
2007-06-27, 12:18 PM
Q. 193

Is the spell "Detect Magic" blocked by regular walls?

If not, does this mean that spending 3 rounds looking in each direction after casting the spell allows a caster to know where every magic item within the 60-foot range is located?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-06-27, 12:27 PM
A. 193

Depends on material and thickness.

The spell can penetrate barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks it.

Ponce
2007-06-27, 12:54 PM
Q194

When does immunity to fire (or cold) also imply vulnerability to the opposing element (cold or fire)? Does this apply to half-dragon immunities? Spells that grant elemental immunity? That once stance for ToB that grants fire immunity based on tumble ranks?

Jasdoif
2007-06-27, 12:57 PM
A194

The Fire subtype gives immunity to fire and vulnerability to cold. The Cold subtype gives immunity to cold and vulnerability to fire.

Simply having an immunity to one does not directly imply vulnerability to the other. Unless the vulnerability is listed (or the creature gains one of those subtypes for whatever reason), the creature doesn't have it.

Ivius
2007-06-27, 05:52 PM
Q195 If, while on another plane for whatever reason, a Dismissal spell is targeted at a human, is he sent back to the Material Plane?

Winged One
2007-06-27, 05:56 PM
A195
There is an 80% chance that a human on a plane other than their native plane will be sent back to their native plane, as normal. Humans are not an exception to the rules for extraplanar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#extraplanarSubtype) creatures, which Dismissal targets.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-06-27, 05:57 PM
A. 195

Yes, if the human fails the will save there is a 80 % chance of being sent back to the material plane and a 20 % chance of being sent to another plane.

EDIT: ...double-ninja'd, I see. Do I get popcorn now?

Why would you get popcorn when I was also ninja'ed. :smallconfused:

The fact that I at least ninja'ed you only gives you salt for your wounds. :smallbiggrin:

Jasdoif
2007-06-27, 05:59 PM
A195

Yes, subject to the usual conditions of the spell. Any creature that is not on its home plane or a transitive plane is extraplanar (and has the Extraplanar subtype); humans are no exception to this.

EDIT: ...double-ninja'd, I see. Do I get popcorn now?

Fax Celestis
2007-06-27, 07:50 PM
Q196 If I'm a Hound Archon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/archon.htm#houndArchon), and I take a level in Sun Soul Monk (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050601a&page=4) without taking a level in monk first, how does the stacking effects of the monk levels work? Do I treat myself as a 0th level monk, and then add my Sun Soul Monk levels to determine effective monk level for the qualified abilities?

Jasdoif
2007-06-27, 08:28 PM
A196

I believe so. There's nothing saying you have to have monk levels to benefit from stacking, and 0 with +2 is 2.

Charity
2007-06-28, 01:59 AM
Q197 Ok heres a quickie can one take a ten on ones spell craft check when one wants to "Learn a spell from a spellbook or scroll (wizard only). No retry for that spell until you gain at least 1 rank in Spellcraft (even if you find another source to try to learn the spell from). Requires 8 hours."
If so you'll never need a spellcraft over 14.

V Ta Silvanos... I knew I should have not made that unqualified statement, it's like a red rag to an eye tyrant...

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-06-28, 02:13 AM
A. 197

Yes. Taking 10 does not carry the same restrictions as Taking 20 does, but you have to concentrate and avoid combat. (A sensible thing when reading in any case.)

Whether a spellcraft modifier above 14 could be useful for other purposes is a different matter entirely. :smalltongue:

EDIT:

If so you'll never need a spellcraft over 14.

V Ta Silvanos... I knew I should have not made that unqualified statement, it's like a red rag to an eye tyrant...

OCD is part of life as a bloated pedantic... :smallwink:

Alveanerle
2007-06-28, 04:40 AM
Q. 198
two weapon fighting touches
Please do verify if the following interpretation of chill touch vs two weapon fighting is correct:

Say a two weapon fighter with some dip levels in Sorc casts chill touch spell.
In the round he has cast it, he can only do 1 melee touch to deliver 1 instance of the spell.
In the following round, he can do his two weapon full attack, treating his chilled hand as a weapon, and deliver as many touch attacks with it as he would with a normal weapon, while still hitting normaly with his second (normal, non spell) weapon.

Q. 199
Mounted arcana
A If a mount charges, does both he and his rider get to make attacks?
B If the above is true - in order to keep moving after the charge and attack from both rider and mount, do both rider and mount need to posess ride-by-attack?
C If A is true - what's the order of making attacks if the reach of rider and his mount is the same?
D If a rider performs an attack and posesses "improved grab" or "snatch" ability - does he pull the opponent onto the saddle and is now riding grappled? Can he command his mount while grappled? Can he continue his movement with the "ride-by-attack" feat?
E If a mount performs an attack and posesses "improved grab" or "snatch" ability - can he continue his movement with the "ride-by-attack" feat? Or would he have to make the grapple check at -20 in order to do that?
F Is rider considered to be sitting in the fore or aft of the mount? That clarification would be useful to determine rider's reach.
G Trample feats - is it the rider or the mount that has to have this feat in order to succesfuly trample?
H Trample feat description mentions that on a succesful trample the mount can make a hoof attack. What with mounts that do not posess hooves? Could a mount do his bite/tongue attack on a succesful trample?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-06-28, 04:45 AM
A. 198

Correct.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-06-28, 05:11 AM
A. 199

Q. 199
Mounted arcana
A If a mount charges, does both he and his rider get to make attacks?

Yes, both are considered to be charging.
The rider could do something other than charging, but would not get to attack at the end of the charge in taht case.

B If the above is true - in order to keep moving after the charge and attack from both rider and mount, do both rider and mount need to posess ride-by-attack?

Yes.

C If A is true - what's the order of making attacks if the reach of rider and his mount is the same?

Whatever is preferred by the rider/mount.

D If a rider performs an attack and posesses "improved grab" or "snatch" ability - does he pull the opponent onto the saddle and is now riding grappled? Can he command his mount while grappled? Can he continue his movement with the "ride-by-attack" feat?

Yes, assuming the carrying capacity of mount and rider allows for it.
A mount can be commanded using only the knees if a DC 5 ride check is made.
(See the ride skill)

E If a mount performs an attack and posesses "improved grab" or "snatch" ability - can he continue his movement with the "ride-by-attack" feat? Or would he have to make the grapple check at -20 in order to do that?

Yes, the mount can continue its movement as per teh description of Improved Grab, again assuming that the carrying capacity allows for it.

F Is rider considered to be sitting in the fore or aft of the mount? That clarification would be useful to determine rider's reach.

You share the same space, so your reach is determined from any square of the mounts space.

G Trample feats - is it the rider or the mount that has to have this feat in order to succesfuly trample?

Either of them can have it.
The rider can impart the feat on the mount, so it is not necessary for the mount to also have the feat/ability.

H Trample feat description mentions that on a succesful trample the mount can make a hoof attack. What with mounts that do not posess hooves? Could a mount do his bite/tongue attack on a succesful trample?

If a mount does not posses Hoofs and attack can be made with a natural weapon found on the front feet, such as claws.

Important references include the PHB, MM, FAQ and Rules of the Game: (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/rg) All about Mounts.

Alveanerle
2007-06-28, 06:16 AM
Hereby i make a Sacred Vow to remain silent for the next week. After this one last bunch of questions.

Q. 200
Can wizard scribe into his spellbook a spell that's of too high level for him to cast?
After reading SRD the answer seems to be "yes, assuming he makes the spellcraft check to understand the spell".

Q. 201
The description of trip maneuver does mention only upper size limit of the creature tripped. Is there really no other source stating a lower limit? How does a dragon trip an ant?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-06-28, 06:54 AM
A. 200

You are reading it correctly.

A. 201

Not to my knowledge.
Such extreme size differences probably means that the trip attempt is made somewhat differently from what you would normally expect.

Maybe exhaling would count as a trip attack against the ant in the Dragon case?

squishycube
2007-06-28, 08:53 AM
A196 Alternative
I actually don't think so, the class feature of sun soul monk reads "Sun Soul monk levels stack with monk levels for purposes of determining flurry of blows, unarmed damage, AC bonus, and unarmored speed bonus". It doesn't actually grant the abilities, just improves them. I think you need to have the abilities to benefit from this class feature.
(Note: this is my take on RAW, probably not how I would handle it in an actual game.)

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-06-28, 09:09 AM
A196 Alternative
I actually don't think so, the class feature of sun soul monk reads "Sun Soul monk levels stack with monk levels for purposes of determining flurry of blows, unarmed damage, AC bonus, and unarmored speed bonus". It doesn't actually grant the abilities, just improves them. I think you need to have the abilities to benefit from this class feature.
(Note: this is my take on RAW, probably not how I would handle it in an actual game.)
Re: A 196

Right. It's just like "+1 caster level". If you don't have a caster level, it doesn't do anything.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-06-28, 09:30 AM
A. 196 Continued

A196 Alternative

Re: A 196

Right. It's just like "+1 caster level". If you don't have a caster level, it doesn't do anything.

I have to side with Jasdoif on this one.

IMHO, This is nothing like the "+1 to existing class" abilities of some prestige classes. This one actually grants you Monk Abilities.
The fact that SS Monk levels stack with regular Monk levels does not imply that you have to have both for the SS levels to count for anything.

To reiterate the Jasdoifian math:
2+0 is usually equal to 2 and not 0.

Monk Abilities: Sun Soul monk levels stack with monk levels for purposes of determining flurry of blows, unarmed damage, AC bonus, and unarmored speed bonus (see Table 3-10, page 40 of the Player's Handbook).
City of Splendors: Waterdeep (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050601a&page=4)

Tellah
2007-06-28, 10:34 AM
Q202:
Does clothing count against one's encumbrance? I've heard that clothing constitutes an exception, but can't find such a thing in the SRD.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-06-28, 10:47 AM
A. 202

It is not in the SRD.
This obscure rule is on page 131 of the PHB under Clothing.

weenie
2007-06-28, 12:26 PM
Q. 203

Can you detach a Strige with an Escape artist check, and if yes, what's the DC?

Jasdoif
2007-06-28, 01:32 PM
A196 more stuff

I actually don't think so, the class feature of sun soul monk reads "Sun Soul monk levels stack with monk levels for purposes of determining flurry of blows, unarmed damage, AC bonus, and unarmored speed bonus". It doesn't actually grant the abilities, just improves them. I think you need to have the abilities to benefit from this class feature.That was indeed a position I considered. However, I ended up deciding that the closest existing example of the situation was the monk's belt, which grants its abilities as a 5th level monk to someone who has no monk levels. This is also demonstrated with things like magic vestment and barkskin, which grant specific AC bonuses even to items or creatures that don't have such properties (regular clothing is treated as having a base +0 armor bonus, and creatures without natural armor are treated as having a base +0 natural armor bonus).

I feel it's the specificity that matters. Sun Soul Monk doesn't say it improves features of an applicable class you possess, like the more typical +1 level of casting class does; it says it stacks with a specific class for specific class features. There's a definite target there, even if the target's number is 0.

A203

No. As mentioned in the monster's text, in order to remove the stirge via grappling you have to pin it, and Escape Artist doesn't let you pin. None of Escape Artist's other uses are applicable, that I can see at least.

TigerHunter
2007-06-28, 07:47 PM
Q204
Ok, dumb newbie question. The rules in the PHB often mention Xd3. Since it's physically impossible to have a 3-sided die, how are rolls of this nature determined?

Fax Celestis
2007-06-28, 07:51 PM
A204 Use a d6, and divide the result by 2 (round up). Or, get an actual d3. They do exist.
http://www.rpgshop.com/images/uploaded/d3.jpg
That's a d3.

TigerHunter
2007-06-28, 07:58 PM
That's a d3.
Clever.
Thanks.

Zel
2007-06-28, 11:59 PM
Q. 205

"Can a 6th lvl Human Wizard that fulfills all requirements except 10 ranks in two knowledge skills take Loremaster as his next level even though the class requires 10 ranks as a prerequisite? (The wizard will use the loremaster level to achieve the 10th rank in these skills).

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/loremaster.htm

(I give this specific example because it will help me understand at what point skill/feat prerequisites for prestige classes are required. I'm trying to learn whether you can use the upcoming prestige class level's skills/feats/abilities to qualify for the prestige class itself by RAW. Is there a strict order of operations that cannot be flexed?)

Stephen_E
2007-06-29, 12:01 AM
Q205

A Melee Attack is a standard action (attack).
A Bullrush is a standard action (attack) that can be made as part of a Charge.
An Overrun is a standard action that can be made as part of a Charge.
A Charge is a full round action that allows you to in addition make a Melee attack at the end of it.

Question: Can you Charge, make an Overrun, Bullrush, and then make a Melee Attack at the end, all in the same single full round action.

Stephen

Jasdoif
2007-06-29, 12:22 AM
OK, there's two 205s listed.

Q. 205

"Can a 6th lvl Human Wizard that fulfills all requirements except 10 ranks in two knowledge skills take Loremaster as his next level even though the class requires 10 ranks as a prerequisite? (The wizard will use the loremaster level to achieve the 10th rank in these skills).

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/loremaster.htm

(I give this specific example because it will help me understand at what point skill/feat prerequisites for prestige classes are required. I'm trying to learn whether you can use the upcoming prestige class level's skills/feats/abilities to qualify for the prestige class itself by RAW. Is there a strict order of operations that cannot be flexed?)A205

No. There is indeed a specific order listed in the PHB: Class choice, BAB, saves, ability increases, hit points, skill points, feats, spells, class features.

You would need to meet the prereqs before taking the first level, so you would not be able to meet the prereqs until character level 7 (so you can't take the first level of loremaster until character level 8).

Q205

A Melee Attack is a standard action (attack).
A Bullrush is a standard action (attack) that can be made as part of a Charge.
An Overrun is a standard action that can be made as part of a Charge.
A Charge is a full round action that allows you to in addition make a Melee attack at the end of it.

Question: Can you Charge, make an Overrun, Bullrush, and then make a Melee Attack at the end, all in the same single full round action.

StephenLooks like someone claimed 205 before you; let's call this one 206.

A206

You can't (or can no longer) Overrun as part of a charge. It was errata'd out of the PHB, and is not present in the SRD.

You can make a Bull Rush as part of a charge, as a Bull Rush can be done "as a standard action (an attack) or as part of a charge (see Charge, below)". I believe you can attack and Bull Rush in the same charge, as nothing in either description implies the two are exclusive during a charge. You cannot do both at the same time, as a matter of logistics, as explained by the Popcorn Tyrant below.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-06-29, 03:15 AM
A. 206 Counter Opinion

A206

You can make a Bull Rush as part of a charge, as a Bull Rush can be done "as a standard action (an attack) or as part of a charge (see Charge, below)". I believe you can attack and Bull Rush in the same charge, as nothing in either description implies the two are exclusive during a charge.

I agree that the descriptions does not exclude this outright. (Although they probably should have, but that is only relevant for RAI discussion, not RAW)

This combination is not possible because of the specific movement rules of a charge.

Assuming you wanted to charge and attack someone, but some insignificant creature is blocking your straight line towards that opponent.
If you could Bull Rush and charge you could potentially remove the obstructing creature and still be allowed to attack your real target.

However, you cannot start the charge against the real challenge in the first place, because you do not have the clear line to the target you want to attack.

Second, if any line from your starting space to the ending space passes through a square that blocks movement, slows movement, or contains a creature (even an ally), you can’t charge.

So what about attacking the same creature you are also Bull rushing you ask?

If you are Bull Rushing and pushes the opponent back you cannot meet the charge requirements of attacking from the closest space possible.

First, you must move to the closest space from which you can attack the opponent. (If this space is occupied or otherwise blocked, you can’t charge.)

Jasdoif
2007-06-29, 03:28 AM
Assuming you wanted to charge and attack someone, but some insignificant creature is blocking your straight line towards that opponent.
If you could Bull Rush and charge you could potentially remove the obstructing creature and still be allowed to attack your real target.

However, you cannot start the charge against the real challenge in the first place, because you do not have the clear line to the target you want to attack.I agree, I had not considered attempting to Bull Rush one foe and attack another.

So what about attacking the same creature you are also Bull rushing you ask?

If you are Bull Rushing and pushes the opponent back you cannot meet the charge requirements of attacking from the closest space possible.OK, but what if you make the charge attack prior to the bull rush?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-06-29, 03:37 AM
I agree, I had not considered attempting to Bull Rush one foe and attack another.

OK, but what if you make the charge attack prior to the bull rush?

You are not allowed to move after.

Movement During a Charge: You must move before your attack, not after.

Bull rushing requires that you move into the opponents space, so even if you just wanted to push him back 5 feet without following that would not be possible either.

Jasdoif
2007-06-29, 03:48 AM
Bull rushing requires that you move into the opponents space, so even if you just wanted to push him back 5 feet without following that would not be possible either.OK, that makes sense.

And thinking about it some more...even if you have a reach of 0 feet and would have to enter the opponent's space to make an attack anyway, you can't charge because the closest square from which you can attack is occupied (by your intended target).

I am changing my answer to "you cannot do both at the same time, as a matter of logistics, as explained by the Popcorn Tyrant."

Falrin
2007-06-29, 07:45 AM
Q. 207

Fast Question about the Doppelganger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/doppelganger.htm)

1) Can it change to a Specific person without further disguise needed?
2) Any possibility to mimic the needed clothing/equipment?

Otherwise it's very hard to replace a Partymeber: You need the same equipment & outlook.

Steve_the_ERB
2007-06-29, 08:28 AM
Q 208

Do temporary hit points from multiple sources (or the same repeated source) stack?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-06-29, 08:34 AM
A 207

The Doppelganger can change to a specific person without disguise equipment. The Doppelganger still must make a Disguise check (with a +10 bonus for its Change Shape ability and a further +2 for acting in character with 5 ranks of Bluff), opposed by Spot checks, which are modified based upon how well the character new the creature whose form the doppelganger assumed.

The rules don't state if you can or cannot use Change Shape to mimic clothing, however, the last bullet point of the Change Shape (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#changeShape) ability description implies that gear is not included in any way when changing shape. If you choose to interpret this as an inability to mimic clothing, do remember that a doppelganger usually kills a person before taking his or her place. That makes it easy to steal the victim's clothing and gear.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-06-29, 08:41 AM
A 208

Temporary Hit Points from the same source do not stack, but Temporary Hit Points from different sources do.

Do temporary hit points from two applications of the same effect stack? What about from different effects? If I have temporary hit points from multiple sources, how should I apply damage?

Temporary hit points from two applications of the same effect don’t stack; instead, the highest number of temporary hit points applies in place of all others. Temporary hit points from different sources stack, but you must keep track of them separately.

For example, imagine a character who gained 15 temporary hit points from an aid spell. After taking 8 points of damage, she has 7 temporary hit points left from the spell. If another aid spell were cast on the same character granting 12 temporary hit points, this total would replace the other spell’s total, meaning the character would now have 12 temporary hit points (rather than 19). If the character then cast false life on herself, she would add the full benefit of that spell to the temporary hit points from the aid spell.

This also applies to temporary hit points gained from energy drain and similar special abilities. Each successful attack counts as one application of the effect (meaning that an attack that bestows 2 or more negative levels still counts as only one application of the effect). For example, a wight gains 5 temporary hit points each time it bestows a negative level with its slam attack. If it bestows another negative level while it has 2 temporary hit points remaining from the first attack, the new temporary hit points would replace the old ones.

Temporary hit points are “first-in, first-out.” Damage should be taken off the oldest temporary-hit-point-granting effect first; when that effect is exhausted, apply damage to the next oldest effect. For this reason, you must track each supply of temporary hit points separately.

Fax Celestis
2007-06-29, 08:44 AM
A208 No. Temporary hit points never stack. I r pwnt.

Godhand
2007-06-29, 08:47 AM
Q 209

(not sure if this hasn't already been mentioned)

A: A stat boosting item, such as a cloak of chr. if worn overnight gives the wearer an extra bonus spell if it boosts the wearers primary casting stat to the proper level. Here's the question, if a druid wears an amulet of wisdom +2 and moves from 17 wis to 19 wis, does he gain the bonus spell in human form even if he sleeps in animal form?

B: What about if he sleeps in human form, changes to an animal and then back to human, would that extra 4th level spell still be there, Or would the changing from human to animal back to human have negated the bonus effects?

Zherog
2007-06-29, 09:32 AM
A 209

Wild shaping has no affect on a druid's Wisdom score. A druid with a periapt of Wisdom +2 gains bonus spells from the increased Wisdom, just as any other caster gains bonus spells from an item affecting their primary casting stat.

Citizen Joe
2007-06-29, 09:55 AM
A 209

Wild shaping has no affect on a druid's Wisdom score. A druid with a periapt of Wisdom +2 gains bonus spells from the increased Wisdom, just as any other caster gains bonus spells from an item affecting their primary casting stat.

The point is that when wildshaped, your gear becomes inactive, thus you lose the benefit of the cloak or periapt, etc.

Neon Knight
2007-06-29, 01:26 PM
Q 210

Do Combat Expertise and Fighting Defensively stack? If so, can I get a link to the relevant SRD page/ relevant passage in rulebook?

DreadArchon
2007-06-29, 01:38 PM
Q 210

Do Combat Expertise and Fighting Defensively stack? If so, can I get a link to the relevant SRD page/ relevant passage in rulebook?
A 210
Yes--PHB, page 140, left column, 6th paragraph.

I don't think the SRD has that line, but I didn't check very thoroughly.

Jasdoif
2007-06-29, 01:55 PM
A209 additional

It's true that your gear melds with your form and becomes unusable when you wildshape. However, there's nothing to prevent you from removing the periapt, wildshaping, and then wearing the periapt in your wildshaped form to gain its benefit (except possibly physical limitations of your chosen form).

A) If you're wearing your periapt while you sleep in animal form (as opposed to having it melded within you and being unusable) and while you prepare your spells, you will get the bonus slots from your increased Wisdom score.

B) The FAQ says you lose the bonus slots if you lose the item, starting with uncast spells of the appropriate levels. It doesn't address what happens if you regain the item, however; I believe you would once again gain access to the bonus spells.

Do ability enhancing items (such as the headband of intellect, cloak of charisma, and periapt of wisdom) grant bonus spells to the appropriate spellcasters? The spells these items are based on would seem to prohibit it, but the only things specifically addressed in the item descriptions are skill points.

Yes, you can get extra bonus spells if you have an item that increases the ability score that governs your spellcasting. To get the extra bonus spells, you must wear the item while resting to regain spells and all through your initial daily preparations for spellcasting. (Even characters who don’t prepare spells need to meditate a little while at the beginning of the day; see Daily Readying of spells under the Sorcerers and bards section of Chapter 10 in the Player’s Handbook.)

If you lose the item, you immediately lose the bonus spell slots the item gave you, starting with any uncast spells you have of the appropriate levels.

DreadArchon
2007-06-29, 02:05 PM
A 209 (again)
Gaining a bonus spell slot doesn't mean that you instantly memorize a spell in it (though IIRC you can do it with 15 minutes of prep time), so as far as I know, you get hosed out of your bonus spells while shapeshifting (by Wild Shape, Polymorph, or any other such ability which melds your gear to your new form). You lose the slot and the spell in it because you lost the item, and when you revert you suddenly have 1+ empty spell slots.

Jasdoif
2007-06-29, 02:21 PM
A 209 (again)
Gaining a bonus spell slot doesn't mean that you instantly memorize a spell in it (though IIRC you can do it with 15 minutes of prep time)...You lose the slot and the spell in it because you lost the item, and when you revert you suddenly have 1+ empty spell slots.A wizard can prepare a spell in a blank slot, but not divine casters who only receive their spells during their daily prayer/meditation session; but the rest of the first part is true.

I don't believe you actually lose the spell slot, however. I think it's still there, but in a part of your mind too deep to access with your reduced mental capacity. Once your capacity is restored, you can access the spell slot again.

It's like if you lock something in a safe, then forget the combination. It's still there in the safe, you just can't get at it until you open the safe (generally by remembering or working out the combination).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-06-29, 05:14 PM
A wizard can prepare a spell in a blank slot, but not divine casters who only receive their spells during their daily prayer/meditation session; but the rest of the first part is true.

That is not completely accurate I am afraid.

A divine spellcaster does not have to prepare all his spells at once.

Jasdoif
2007-06-29, 05:17 PM
That is not completely accurate I am afraid....dang it, that was right in the section I double-checked before posting that. :smallredface: Perhaps I need to take up triple-checking.

Citizen Joe
2007-06-29, 06:51 PM
Q211

Relating to Q209

I thought Divine casters have to pray at a certain time of the day for spells. What's the relevant information for that? Is it an optional rule?

Jasdoif
2007-06-29, 07:18 PM
A211

Yes, they need to prepare their spells at a certain time of the day. It is not an optional rule.
A divine spellcaster chooses and prepares spells ahead of time, just as a wizard does. However, a divine spellcaster does not require a period of rest to prepare spells. Instead, the character chooses a particular part of the day to pray and receive spells. The time is usually associated with some daily event. If some event prevents a character from praying at the proper time, he must do so as soon as possible. If the character does not stop to pray for spells at the first opportunity, he must wait until the next day to prepare spells.
The time is usually associated with some daily event. Dawn, dusk, noon, and midnight are common choices. Some deities set the time or impose other special conditions for granting spells to their clerics.

EDIT: As related to Q209 (and my own confusion on the subject):

A divine spellcaster does not have to prepare all his spells at once. However, the character’s mind is considered fresh only during his or her first daily spell preparation, so a divine spellcaster cannot fill a slot that is empty because he or she has cast a spell or abandoned a previously prepared spell.Easiest summary is that prayer at the proper time opens the spell slots, which can then be filled later if need be.

Mr Wizard
2007-06-30, 01:26 AM
Q 212 Does Disintegrate have a Damage type?

Is it force or nondescript or something else entirely?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-06-30, 01:35 AM
A. 212

It does not have a type, it is just damage from a spell.

Shoyliguad
2007-06-30, 06:41 AM
A. 213

A mindflayer took a level in the barbarian varient from complete chamion, which allowed for him to do a full attack on a charge, and has a BAB of 15. If all said was true would it be possible for the mindflayer to charge, attack with all of his tentacles (each hitting) and start a grapple with each so that in the next turn he automatically kills the opponent (say a human)?

Fax Celestis
2007-06-30, 11:40 AM
A. 213

A mindflayer took a level in the barbarian varient from complete chamion, which allowed for him to do a full attack on a charge, and has a BAB of 15. If all said was true would it be possible for the mindflayer to charge, attack with all of his tentacles (each hitting) and start a grapple with each so that in the next turn he automatically kills the opponent (say a human)?

A213 Vicious, but true.

cupkeyk
2007-06-30, 12:09 PM
Q 214

When a class feature says that it functions exactly like another class feature with exceptions and addenda, does that include qualifying for feat or PRC prerequisites?

I am specifically inquiring about the Divine Oracle(CD)'s Prescient Sense qualifying for a Magelord(LE)'s evasion prerequisites.

Fax Celestis
2007-06-30, 12:11 PM
A214 Yes, it does.

Q215 Can I use Smiting Spell (or a Spellsword's Spell Channeling) on an acid flask, thunderstone, alchemist's fire, or caltrops?

Charity
2007-06-30, 12:25 PM
Q216 OK so my group went up against some Hellhounds the other day... are they feeble or what? (in 3.0 this is by the way.) it says in the old MMI that their rubbish breath weapon 'ignites all flamable objects' well what does that entail exactly? do they hace to check for all thir scrolls, clothes, spell books, flasks of oil etc? or just stuff in their hands?

cupkeyk
2007-06-30, 12:30 PM
A 215
For the alchemical items yes, but for the caltrops, no, since they use their own attack bonus against a special armor class. The feature says, "the next time you strike an opponent with that weapon" and "You can place a smiting spell on a piece of ammunition or a projectile."

A 216
Objects held or equipped by creatures take damage from an area effect only when the creature gets a natural 1 on it's reflex save. So the flammable materials do not ignite unless the character who possesses them gets a natural 1.

Automatic Failures and Successes: A natural 1 (the d20 comes up 1) on a saving throw is always a failure (and may cause damage to exposed items; see Items Surviving after a Saving Throw). A natural 20 (the d20 comes up 20) is always a success.

Items Surviving after a Saving Throw: Unless the descriptive text for the spell specifies otherwise, all items carried or worn by a creature are assumed to survive a magical attack. If a creature rolls a natural 1 on its saving throw against the effect, however, an exposed item is harmed (if the attack can harm objects). Refer to Table: Items Affected by Magical Attacks. Determine which four objects carried or worn by the creature are most likely to be affected and roll randomly among them. The randomly determined item must make a saving throw against the attack form and take whatever damage the attack deal.

If an item is not carried or worn and is not magical, it does not get a saving throw. It simply is dealt the appropriate damage.

Curmudgeon
2007-07-01, 02:07 AM
Magic of Eberron is one of the many books that discuss grafts, and it says:
An individual can have a total of only five grafts grown on his body, and all such grafts must be of the same kind. ... Rumors of individuals who have attempted to bypass these biological limits abound ...
Q 217

Are there techniques of bypassing the multiple grafts type limitation (feat/item/class ability/whatever) to back up these "rumors"?

Curmudgeon
2007-07-01, 03:56 AM
Scrolls are simply either arcane or divine; i.e., they're not tied to the class of the person who scribed them. With Use Magic Device you can pick the appropriate ability of a spellcasting class that could have scribed the scroll:
In addition, casting a spell from a scroll requires a minimum score (10 + spell level) in the appropriate ability. Because of Sorcerers you can select Charisma to use Wizard/Sorcerer-scribed scrolls; because of Favored Souls you can select Charisma to use Cleric-scribed scrolls; and Bards already use Charisma as their casting ability. (Charisma is handy because it's the base ability for the UMD skill.)

Q 218a

Are there any classes that cast Druid/Ranger spells using an ability other than Wisdom?

Q 218b

Are there any classes that cast Assassin spells using an ability other than Intelligence?

Rad
2007-07-01, 06:03 AM
Q 219
Let's suppose that there is some guy :smallfurious: which wants to hit another guy :smalleek: . They are already in adjacent squares. Another guy :smallconfused: wants to protect :smalleek: from :smallfurious:'s attack and wishes to do that by interposing himself hoping that this would induce :smallfurious: to restrain from carrying out the attack. :smallconfused: gets to act first, meaning that he could prepare an action to... do what? Let's say that :smallconfused: is standing right next to them, so 5' steps could be used to enter either square. :smallconfused: enters :smalleek:'s square preferably for roleplay reasons
:smallconfused: does not want to enter a grapple with either guy and wants to avoid any hostile move, like bullrushing (this is why he just wants to interpose). How does he do it, rules-wise?

Belkarseviltwin
2007-07-01, 06:52 AM
Q.220 A Wizard 5/Wild Mage 1 attempts to cast Fireball. He rolls a 1 on his caster level die, so his caster level for the fireball is 4. Does the spell work, despite the fact that a wizard ordinarily can't cast 3rd-level spells at CL 4?

A.218aArchivist can cast any divine spell using Int. Spirit Shaman combines Wis and Cha.

A.218bNo, not as far as I know.

Rad
2007-07-01, 11:05 AM
Q.220 A Wizard 5/Wild Mage 1 attempts to cast Fireball. He rolls a 1 on his caster level die, so his caster level for the fireball is 4. Does the spell work, despite the fact that a wizard ordinarily can't cast 3rd-level spells at CL 4?
A 220
Yes, caster level has nothing to do with spells per day.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-01, 02:40 PM
A. 217

So far they are just rumors.

A. 219

There is no RAW answer for this one if you do not want to push (bull rush) anyone aside.

Tellah
2007-07-02, 08:52 AM
Q 219
Let's suppose that there is some guy :smallfurious: which wants to hit another guy :smalleek: . They are already in adjacent squares. Another guy :smallconfused: wants to protect :smalleek: from :smallfurious:'s attack and wishes to do that by interposing himself hoping that this would induce :smallfurious: to restrain from carrying out the attack. :smallconfused: gets to act first, meaning that he could prepare an action to... do what? Let's say that :smallconfused: is standing right next to them, so 5' steps could be used to enter either square. :smallconfused: enters :smalleek:'s square preferably for roleplay reasons
:smallconfused: does not want to enter a grapple with either guy and wants to avoid any hostile move, like bullrushing (this is why he just wants to interpose). How does he do it, rules-wise?

A 219 alternative

:smallconfused: initiates a grapple with :smallfurious:, using grapple checks to move them both away from :smalleek:. A grapple isn't necessarily hostile, after all; if you're trying to hold someone by the shoulders and keep them at bay, a grapple check is the best way to model it.

Theli
2007-07-02, 09:40 AM
A219 Addendum

I would also argue that a bullrush isn't necessarily hostile. You're just pushing, essentially. Unless you're pushing him/her off a cliff, you're not trying to cause damage.

Besides that, you can try to push your friend out of the way. Maybe they'll even choose to decline to make their strength checks. At the very least you can use a standard action to enter your friend's square and only opt to move him one square away from the enemy. So you will have pushed your friend back and inserted yourself in between. Of course, the enemy will have the option of making attacks of opportunity on both you and your friend. So this is perhaps better used as an action taken during a surprise round, when the enemy will be flatfooted.

Unless you either move one guy or the other, or somehow restrict the attacker's actions, then the situation isn't diffused in any way. (Unless you tell the enemy that you will strike them if s/he strikes your friend and then ready an action to do so. But that assumes that they take your threats seriously.) They best you can do otherwise is to use Aid Another to give your friend a +2 bonus on his AC for a single future attack, representing distracting the enemy.

Rad
2007-07-02, 10:57 AM
Q 219 Clarification
In what happened in my game, :smallfurious: was a barbarian, :smallconfused: was a wizard and :smalleek: was an hostile NPC that :smallfurious: wanted to just kill while :smallconfused: wanted to get some info from. :smallconfused: was also ready to let :smalleek: go if he was cooperative enough and :smalleek: realized that that was probably going to be his only chance.

so :smallconfused: has no way to push :smallfurious: away as this would have no chance of working. His plan was to just put himself in the middle of the blow and it was, roleplaying-wise, the best option. We allowed him to do it (DM fiat) stepping "between the squares" since the square taken by a figure is not physically filled by it (all humanoids here) and there was no "fluff" reason to say "you do not fit". Could squeezing rules be used?

:smallconfused: enters :smalleek:'s square. :smalleek: gives up the attack of opportunity and nobody wants to attempt a grapple. :smalleek: is not pushing :smallconfused: out of his square (he wants to live). Could we rule that then :smalleek: has to leave the square? This rule would be VERY exploitable though.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-02, 11:07 AM
A. 219

Mechanically I would treat it like a bull rush (The NPC voluntarily failing), which means that the Barbarian would get an AoO against the NPC if he/she wanted to take it.

But did you absolutely have to do it in combat? I mean if the NPC would be easily defeated (or had surrendered) could you not just have roleplayed the sequence?

Theli
2007-07-02, 11:24 AM
A. 219 Continued

To put my final two cents in, squeezing rules probably wouldn't work either. While you can squeeze into a square occupied by a friendly (and probably stay there unless the friendly turns hostile) it doesn't provide either of you with any benefit. (It just makes both of you easier to hit, with a -4 penalty.)

So yeah, it's probably better to do this outside of combat rules. If combat starts anyway while you're interposing yourself, you can judge that you were in the center and the two characters have to move back to a 5 foot square on either side of you in order to fulfill RAW requirements for combat. (You can qualify as hostile to your barbarian friend meaning that he can't be squeezing in your space either.)

Citizen Joe
2007-07-02, 03:10 PM
Q221

This question is about lighting conditions and low light vision.

Low-Light Vision: [A CREATURE] can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

Torches and such have bright light radii and shadowy illumination radii:

In an area of shadowy illumination, a character can see dimly. Creatures within this area have concealment relative to that character. A creature in an area of shadowy illumination can make a Hide check to conceal itself.
[snip]
Characters with low-light vision (elves, gnomes, and half-elves) can see objects twice as far away as the given radius. Double the effective radius of bright light and of shadowy illumination for such characters.
[snip]

Torch, bright illumination: 20', shadowy illumination: 40'
So for an elf they'd have bright illumination to 40' from the torch and shadowy to 80'.

This much I understand. What I don't know is the ranges on starlight and moonlight. These seem to just blanket the whole area in shadowy illumination but don't have a range that I can tell. Am I missing something? Seems like there's a vision table missing.

Jasdoif
2007-07-02, 05:17 PM
A221 partial

I found this under the description of low-light vision in Special Abilities:

Characters with low-light vision can see outdoors on a moonlit night as well as they can during the day.I haven't found anything about starlight, however.

Rad
2007-07-02, 06:32 PM
Q 219 End
dealing with it out or combat is practically what we did, despite the fact that the barbarian wanted the combat to just continue (:smalleek: was the last man standing in a big fight and the argument happened while we were in combat time).
Thanks to everybody for your help; maybe I'll open a regular thread to discuss a possible house rule.

XiaoTie
2007-07-02, 06:34 PM
Q. 222
Is it possible for a longsword to be a "+3 Flaming Longsword" ?

If it is, would the cost be calculated as: Flaming (adding the price for a +1) + the added price for a +3 ?

Theli
2007-07-02, 06:45 PM
Skipped (possibly due to lack of bold)

Citizen Joe
2007-07-02, 06:49 PM
A222

Yes it is possible. Flaming adds an effective +1 to the +3 bonus of the weapon for calculating enchantment cost. The formula is (bonus^2)*2000 gp + masterwork weapon.

So it would be 32000 gp (Enchanting) + 300 gp (Masterwork) + basic weapon price sale price. Cost to make would be half that (I think just half the enchanting cost since you just buy the masterwork weapon).

TigerHunter
2007-07-02, 08:16 PM
Q223
One of the people in a game I'm trying to get into mentioned LA buyoff, but didn't go into much specifics as to what it was. How does it work, and how is it beneficial?

Lòkki Gallansbayne
2007-07-02, 08:50 PM
A223 LA buy-off is a variant rule that allows you to spend XP to reduce your level adjustment and therefore your ECL, thus allowing you to advance faster than a character with the same LA that does not buy it off (though not as fast as character with no LA to begin with). The basic mechanic is that after gaining 3 times your current LA class levels, you pay 1000 * (your ECL - 1) XP and your LA is reduced by one from there on out.

A more detailed description can be found in Unearthed Arcana (no page number, sorry, as I don't own the book) or at this webpage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm).

Q224
The intent of this question is to check that save bonuses for multiclass characters work the way I think they do and not the way I think they should. Apologies if this has been covered previously, I did skim through before posting and didn't see anything referring to my specific question. Where I refer to base save bonuses, I mean just those save bonuses granted by class levels and not from ability modifiers, racial bonuses, feats or any other source. This is not using any of your fancy fractional save bonus variants, just the core RAW.

Q224a Alice is a Barbarian 1/Cleric 1/Fighter 1/Monk 1/Paladin 1/Ranger 1. What's her base Fort save bonus?
Q224b Bob is a Barbarian 1/Cleric 1/Druid 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1/Sorceror 1. What's his base Relfex save bonus?
Q224c Charlie is a Barbarian 1/Bard 1/Cleric 1/Druid 1/Fighter 1/Paladin 1. What's his base Will save bonus?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-07-02, 09:09 PM
A 224

You get the base save bonus for the class just by looking it up on their class table and adding it up.

As such, Alice would have a Base Fort save of +12, Bob would have a Base Reflex save of +0, and Charlie would have a base Will save of +6.

Citizen Joe
2007-07-02, 09:13 PM
A224 In general you cannot be Non-Lawful(barbarian) and Lawful(Monk) at the same time... however

A224A +12 Fort save
A224B +0 REF save
A224C +6 WIL save

Bitzeralisis
2007-07-02, 09:14 PM
Q225 Is it possible to have two people mounted on the same horse in battle?

Lòkki Gallansbayne
2007-07-02, 09:16 PM
Alice had an alignment shift. :smalltongue: Thanks for the replies, guys; those were exactly the results I was expecting.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-02, 09:40 PM
From what it sounds like, you might want to try the Fractional BAB/Save progression option presented in Unearthed Arcana.

Citizen Joe
2007-07-02, 09:49 PM
Bumping so I don't lose my answer:

Q221

This question is about lighting conditions and low light vision.

Low-Light Vision: [A CREATURE] can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

Torches and such have bright light radii and shadowy illumination radii:

Originally Posted by SRD
In an area of shadowy illumination, a character can see dimly. Creatures within this area have concealment relative to that character. A creature in an area of shadowy illumination can make a Hide check to conceal itself.
[snip]
Characters with low-light vision (elves, gnomes, and half-elves) can see objects twice as far away as the given radius. Double the effective radius of bright light and of shadowy illumination for such characters.
[snip]

Torch, bright illumination: 20', shadowy illumination: 40'
So for an elf they'd have bright illumination to 40' from the torch and shadowy to 80'.

This much I understand. What I don't know is the ranges on starlight and moonlight. These seem to just blanket the whole area in shadowy illumination but don't have a range that I can tell. Am I missing something? Seems like there's a vision table missing.

A221 partial

I found this under the description of low-light vision in Special Abilities:

Characters with low-light vision can see outdoors on a moonlit night as well as they can during the day.

I haven't found anything about starlight, however.

Still looking for human vision range in moonlight/starlight

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-07-02, 09:52 PM
A 221

There are no defined ranges of visibility, unfortunately. Gotta make DM rulings. (Which could vary from campaign setting to campaign setting, BTW. Not every moon reflects the same amount of light...)

Theli
2007-07-02, 10:22 PM
Q 226:

When you use the standard action form of bullrush, can you get away without using a movement action to move into that square if you're adjacent?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-07-02, 10:54 PM
A 226

You must move into your opponent's square to perform a bull rush.

Moving into your opponent's square is part of the bull rush, which is a standard action. As such, it does not cost you a move action.

TigerHunter
2007-07-03, 02:26 AM
Q227
What are flaws and how do they work?

Winged One
2007-07-03, 02:34 AM
A 227
Flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) are disadvantages that you can give your character at creation in order to gain an extra feat. Penalties from flaws always outweigh a feat that could potentially offset them(Meager Fortitude, for example, gives a -3 to fortitude saves, while Great Fortitude gives only +2).

Blinkbear
2007-07-03, 06:09 AM
Q 228

I have troubles to find out the number of attacks a character would have and the appropriate attack bonuses for those attacks:

Monk 11/Exotic Weapon Master 1 (Kama)/Fighter 8, with two-weapon fighting, improved two weapon fighting, greater two weapon fighting and the EWM Trick to decrease the TWF-Penalties by 1 and using flurry of blows.

Additionally: To which attacks' damage values would the character add his full strength bonus and to which his half bonus?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-03, 06:27 AM
A. 228

The 11 levels of Monk provides you with a BAB of +8 and Greater Flurry for an additional two attacks at highest BAB at no penalty.

The 9 levels of Full BAB brings this to +17 for a normal attack routine of:
+17/+12/+7/+2
With greater FoB:
+17/+17/+17/+12/+7/+2

Now we add the off-hand attacks from Greater TWF and remember to include the -1 modifier from using a light weapon in the off-hand:
Main hand (GFoB)
+16/+16/+16/+11/+6/+1
Off-hand:
+16/+11/+6

Full STR bonus is added to all main hand attacks, while you only add half to the three off-hand attacks.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-07-03, 08:03 AM
A 225

I don't think such a situation is ever directly covered in RAW.

Blinkbear
2007-07-03, 11:24 AM
Q 229

The multiweapon fighting feat is for characters with more than 2 hands and it says it replaces the two-weapon fighting feats. Are there any improved or greater versions of this feat to get more attacks on their off hands?

Jasdoif
2007-07-03, 12:21 PM
A229

Yes. Improved Multiweapon Fighting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#improvedMultiweaponFighting) and Greater Multiweapon Fighting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#greaterMultiweaponFighting) appear in the epic section of the SRD, although they are not epic feats and can be taken by nonepic characters that meet the prerequisites. (I understand they appear in that section because they were originally printed in the Epic Level Handbook.)

There's also Perfect Multiweapon Fighting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#perfectMultiweaponFighting); but it, like Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#perfectTwoWeaponFighting), is an epic feat.

BDEYE
2007-07-03, 02:58 PM
Q230

Three questions:

1. Are the spells for the Assassin prestige class prepared ahead of time or can they be cast spontaneously?
2. Do Assassins need spellbooks?
3. Can they cast spells in armor?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-07-03, 03:06 PM
A 230

1. Spontaneous.
2. No, they have a list of spells known.
3. Yes, but it is subject to Arcane Spell Failure.

See: http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/assassin.html

squishycube
2007-07-03, 03:13 PM
A230
Your answers should be answered by this line in the Assassin class description:

Relevant pages:
d20 SRD - Assassin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/assassin.htm#spells)
d20 SRD - Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/bard.htm)

An assassin casts spells just as a bard does.
But to spell it out:
Assassins cast spontaneously, like bards
Assassins, as spontaneous casters, don't need spell books.
I am not too sure about the third question, it could go either way. The Bard's class description notes that Bards can cast arcane spells in light armor without incurring arcane spell failure. This is mentioned under the bard's proficiencies though, not his 'Spells' class feature.
A DM could say that "casts like a bard" means that you insert the bard's "Spells" class feature into the Assassin's description. A DM could also say that "casts like a bard" means that an Assassin casts spells like a bard in every way except as noted in the Assassin's description.
In the first case, the Assassin can't wear light armor without incurring spell failure and in the second case he can.

I'd go with the second option, as the Assassin is mainly a combat class and would be bad of without armour.

EDIT: Popcorn for the Cube... I have more info though :smallsmile:
And I would like to thank my fellow posters for pointing out the two ways to interpret the rules as well :smallgrin:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-03, 03:15 PM
A. 230

Three answers

Ad 1. An assassin does not need to prepare his/her spells in advance. (Commonly referred to as a spontaneous caster (even by the FAQ), although it is not entirely correct.)

Ad 2. No.

Ad 3. Assassin's have no arcane spell failure in light armor.

An assassin casts spells just as a bard does

As noted above, a bard need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his allotment of spells per day for the spell’s level.

A bard can cast bard spells while wearing light armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance. However, like any other arcane spellcaster, a bard wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield incurs a chance of arcane spell failure if the spell in question has a somatic component (most do).

Edit: Ok, so I am slow. I still have a Disintegrate Ray though! :smallamused:

Ohh and mr. SquishyCube: Ninja'ing me is the certain way NOT to get any popcorn. :smalltongue:

Douglas
2007-07-03, 04:52 PM
Q231
Tome of Battle question:
The Diamond Mind stance Stance of Alacrity allows someone to "use one counter per round without taking an immediate action." Does this mean a character with this stance could use a counter while flatfooted despite immediate actions (which counters usually use) not being possible while flatfooted?

Fax Celestis
2007-07-03, 04:55 PM
A231 Yes. Since you don't use an action to activate the counter, you can do it while flat-footed--which, honestly, is what I believe the stance is for.

Douglas
2007-07-03, 04:56 PM
which, honestly, is what I believe the stance is for.
It also lets you use a counter and still be able to use a boost in the following round.

squishycube
2007-07-04, 03:46 AM
A. 230
Ohh and mr. SquishyCube: Ninja'ing me is the certain way NOT to get any popcorn. :smalltongue:

Ok :smallsmile: but what about the ambiguity with question 230? Would you say DM's decision, or do you have errata/FAQ?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-04, 04:14 AM
Ok :smallsmile: but what about the ambiguity with question 230? Would you say DM's decision, or do you have errata/FAQ?

It is subject to interpretation, but I chose to follow the implications of that sentence all the way for three reasons.

1. Verbatim, that is what it says. It i in a different paragraph, but it still relates to how spells are cast.

2. The following is missing from the Assassin entry:

Armor of any type interferes with a sorcerer’s gestures, which can cause his spells with somatic components to fail.

3. It make sense.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-04, 04:28 AM
A. 231 Counter?

A231 Yes. Since you don't use an action to activate the counter, you can do it while flat-footed--which, honestly, is what I believe the stance is for.

The benefit of Stance of Alacrity is*:

...one counter you use during the round does not require an immediate action.

But does this mean that you can act before your turn comes up?

The fact that the RAW spell out that you cannot take immediate actions when you are flat-footed is really just a clarification of the already existing rules: You cannot "act" before your first turn comes up.

Combatants who were unaware do not get to act in the surprise round.

Combatants act in initiative order (highest to lowest). ...

It is problematic that the "action" used to counter while in this stance is not defined, so I for one would like to see an official clarification.

Fluff-wise it does seem to fit that you can counter while flat-footed if you are in this stance (even though there are some counters that you cannot take, becuase they require that you are not flat-footed).

But even if you cannot use a counter while flat-footed it is certainly still a useful stance.

*: Restrictions apply

Asmodeus
2007-07-04, 11:51 AM
Q. 232

The Spit Venom (Forgotten Realms: Serpent Kingdom) feat allows you to spit your natural poison up to 30 ft. No range increment is included in the Feat description.

However, other ranged natural weapons have a Range of 10 ft. The default range for thrown weapons is 10 ft. This feat seems more closely related to a thrown weapon than a projectile weapon.

So the question is does a range increment penalty apply at a range of 10 ft, a range of 30 ft, or never at all?

Lòkki Gallansbayne
2007-07-04, 12:14 PM
Q233
Does copying a spell from a scroll into a spellbook cause the writing to disappear from the scroll? I always assumed this was the case, but the only thing I can see in the SRD that causes the writing to disappear from a scroll is activating the spell. Have I missed something?

@V: Aha! I did miss something. That entire section of the SRD. Thanks.

Asmodeus
2007-07-04, 12:23 PM
A 233

Spells Copied from Another’s Spellbook or a Scroll

A wizard can also add a spell to her book whenever she encounters one on a magic scroll or in another wizard’s spellbook. ... The process leaves a spellbook that was copied from unharmed, but a spell successfully copied from a magic scroll disappears from the parchment.

Emphasis is mine.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-04, 01:11 PM
A. 232

I this is a special case that does not follow the normal rules for ranged weapons.

Since no further information is given you should treat it as having no range increments, so you incur no penalties for distance, but cannot spit longer than 30 feet (Which is quite a feat in itself I might add :smalltongue: ).

Peregrine
2007-07-05, 12:29 AM
Q 234

How does one go about counterspelling a spell cast as a full-round action? What are the initiative consequences of doing so?

Let me clarify. You can cast "any spell" as a counterspell to itself (no mention is made of casting times). To do so, you use the ready action, which is a standard action that normally gives you another standard action when triggered. So do you therefore always counterspell as a standard action, or is counterspelling a longer spell an exception to the rule that ready actions give you only a standard (or shorter) action?

If it's a standard action, do you counter at the start or the end? If at the start, the caster should still have a move action after being countered, right? (Unless they took one already, and used a standard action to start a full-round action...)

And if it's a full-round action, what about longer spells? Do you spend an hour droning away trying to counter identify? (I know that it's not going to come up in combat, but what if you silenced it, hid in the caster's presence, and started countering while they tried to do their identifying?)

Q 235

How fast do dwarves run? That is, does heavy armour reduce their running multiplier, though not their base speed?

(I was going to ask this as, "How fast does a dwarf run (a) naked and (b) in heavy armour?" But then the answer to (a) would be, "Not as fast as everyone else"... :smallwink:)

Kioran
2007-07-05, 12:36 AM
Q 236

Does having Tremorsense, but not having improved uncanny dodge, still protect me from rogues going for my kidneys when they flank, since I can perceive them fully? I think it doesn´t, but I wanted to know....

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-05, 12:53 AM
A. 234

Your question is actually a little complicated.

However, the official position is that you cannot ready to counterspell a spell with a casting time longer than a standard action.

I will elaborate a bit more on why I think the question deserves a little more attention later.

Back in Dragon Magazine #308 you suggested that a sorcerer could make use of the Heighten Spell and Improved Counterspell feats to counter just about any spell. A sorcerer couldn’t use any spell modified by metamagic as a counterspell, could he? A sorcerer needs a full-round action to cast such a spell, and you couldn’t
prepare such an action, could you?

The Sage didn’t do his homework on that question and you
caught him. A sorcerer needs at least a full-round action to cast any spell modified with a metamagic feat, and that makes the spell useless for counterspelling. As you point out, you can’t ready a full-round action and you must ready a counterspell ahead of time.
A sorcerer can work around this problem in a couple of ways. The Spell Preparation feat from the FORGOTTEN REALMS® Campaign Setting and the old Tome and Blood book let sorcerers and bards prepare spells and cast them with their normal casting time, even with metamagic feats applied. The Reactive Counterspell feat from Magic of Faerûn allows you to counter a spell without preparing an action. A sorcerer or bard using this feat can use Improved Counterspell and Heighten Spell to counter a spell, but need a full-round action to do so.

The Sage says that you cannot ready a full-round action, which is correct, but you can ready the "start full-round action", since that is only a standard action.

Start/Complete Full-Round Action

The “start full-round action” standard action lets you start undertaking a full-round action, which you can complete in the following round by using another standard action. You can’t use this action to start or complete a full attack, charge, run, or withdraw.

The Counterspell description does not explictly prevents this use, but you could of course follow a narrower interpretation.

Readying to Counterspell: You may ready a counterspell against a spellcaster (often with the trigger “if she starts casting a spell”). In this case, when the spellcaster starts a spell, you get a chance to identify it with a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell level). If you do, and if you can cast that same spell (are able to cast it and have it prepared, if you prepare spells), you can cast the spell as a counterspell and automatically ruin the other spellcaster’s spell. Counterspelling works even if one spell is divine and the other arcane.

Readying to Counterspell: You may ready a counterspell against a spellcaster (often with the trigger “if she starts casting a spell”). In this case, when the spellcaster starts a spell, you get a chance to identify it with a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell level). If you do, and if you can cast that same spell (are able to cast it and have it prepared, if you prepare spells), you can cast the spell as a counterspell and automatically ruin the other spellcaster’s spell. Counterspelling works even if one spell is divine and the other arcane.

A spellcaster can use dispel magic to counterspell another spellcaster, but it doesn’t always work.

This of course does not help your case, since you still cannot ready a 1 round action spell. (Different from full-round casting time)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-05, 12:57 AM
A. 235

The Dwarf's exemption from base land speed reduction says nothing about extending to running multipliers in heavy armor.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-05, 12:58 AM
A. 236

No, Tremorsense says nothing of that sort. Your kidneys are still ripe for the picking.

Jasdoif
2007-07-05, 01:10 AM
A. 234

Your question is actually a little complicated.

However, the official position is that you cannot ready to counterspell a spell with a casting time longer than a standard action.

I will elaborate a bit more on why I think the question deserves a little more attention later.I believe the FAQ entry you quoted is specific to its particular case, using Heighten Spell to increase the actual level of a spell in order to use Improved Counterspell. It says nothing about counterspelling a spell with a casting time of longer then one standard action.

In fact, take a look at sympathy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sympathy.htm). Its entry says it counters antipathy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antipathy.htm), however its casting time is listed as one hour. If you can only counterspell spells using a spell with a casting time of one standard action, how can this possibly work; and if it doesn't work, why is it mentioned?

This leads me to believe that counterspells are always standard actions, regardless of the base spell's usual casting time.

Blinkbear
2007-07-05, 04:19 AM
Q 237 Monks//Wizard and touch attacks

Let's say you build a monk // wizard gestalt character.

a) Are touch attacks handled in any other way? For example Chill Touch: Can I use flurry of blows to do more touch attacks in a round with chill touch? And am I adding my normal unarmed damage to this? Probably not, but I am a bit confused.

b) If I cast chill touch, do I get my first touch attack as part of the casting action? As I always supposed spells with touch attacks to work, like Contagion?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-05, 05:51 AM
A. 237

Ad A.

Touch attacks are handled the same way.
If you gain iterative attacks and you are holding the charge on a spell that can be used several times you can make additional touch attacks when using the full attack action.

You may attack with an unarmed strike / natural weapon and deliver normal damage as well as the spell effect, but in that case you have to hit the normal armor class and not just the touch armor class.

Ad B.

You get one touch attack as part of the casting of the spell.

Touch Spells in Combat: Many spells have a range of touch. To use these spells, you cast the spell and then touch the subject, either in the same round or any time later. In the same round that you cast the spell, you may also touch (or attempt to touch) the target. You may take your move before casting the spell, after touching the target, or between casting the spell and touching the target. You can automatically touch one friend or use the spell on yourself, but to touch an opponent, you must succeed on an attack roll.

Touch Attacks: Touching an opponent with a touch spell is considered to be an armed attack and therefore does not provoke attacks of opportunity. However, the act of casting a spell does provoke an attack of opportunity. Touch attacks come in two types: melee touch attacks and ranged touch attacks. You can score critical hits with either type of attack. Your opponent’s AC against a touch attack does not include any armor bonus, shield bonus, or natural armor bonus. His size modifier, Dexterity modifier, and deflection bonus (if any) all apply normally.

Holding the Charge: If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren’t considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. (If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack.) If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.

Boris_the_Fat
2007-07-05, 09:02 AM
Q238

In the 2nd edition, character could do a called shot at limbs at a penality at -2 to rolls (head was at -8). It took 25% of the creature HP to destroy the limb, etc, etc...

Can you still do a called shot on living target in the 3.5 Ed? I did'nt find it in the book. If yes, is there any effect (dropping weapon, blindness or severe limb?)

Rad
2007-07-05, 09:55 AM
Q238

In the 2nd edition, character could do a called shot at limbs at a penality at -2 to rolls (head was at -8). It took 25% of the creature HP to destroy the limb, etc, etc...

Can you still do a called shot on living target in the 3.5 Ed? I did'nt find it in the book. If yes, is there any effect (dropping weapon, blindness or severe limb?)

A 238
there are no rules for that, but many made their house rules on the topic. Exceptional hits, like severing limbs and the like are represented by critical hits.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-05, 02:39 PM
A. 238 Supplemental

The DMG has a a variant rule for Damage to Specific Areas (page 27) that provides a good starting point if you want to implement such rules.

As a funny sidenote: The Hydra is an exception that allows for called shots (to the necks).

Fax Celestis
2007-07-05, 02:58 PM
Q239 I have a gnome scout with the Giantbane feat. He uses the "Climb Aboard" part of the feat on an ogre (size Large), and remains in place while the ogre moves. Does he get skirmish damage?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-05, 03:15 PM
I believe the FAQ entry you quoted is specific to its particular case, using Heighten Spell to increase the actual level of a spell in order to use Improved Counterspell. It says nothing about counterspelling a spell with a casting time of longer then one standard action.

The Sage says

As you point out, you can’t ready a full-round action and you must ready a counterspell ahead of time.

This leads to the conclusion that if the casting time is longer than a standard action you have a problem when readying an action to counterspell.
(Even though I in this particular case actually provided an alternative RAW interpretation that avoids this problem, but since that does not pertain to the original qustion we should probably save that for another thread)

Assuming, of course, that you actually have to cast the spell to counterspell and not a standard action version.
This brings us to:

This leads me to believe that counterspells are always standard actions, regardless of the base spell's usual casting time.

That does not seem unreasonable all things considered, but there is no reference to a reduced casting time for a counterspell.
It is described as if you actually have to cast the spell that you want to use for counterspelling, which would exclude any spell you could not cast with a ready action normally.

COUNTERSPELLS

It is possible to cast any spell as a counterspell. By doing so, you are using the spell’s energy to disrupt the casting of the same spell by another character.
To complete the action, you must then cast the correct spell. ... If you are able to cast the same spell and you have it prepared (if you prepare spells), you cast it, altering it slightly to create a counterspell effect.

In fact, take a look at sympathy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sympathy.htm). Its entry says it counters antipathy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antipathy.htm), however its casting time is listed as one hour. If you can only counterspell spells using a spell with a casting time of one standard action, how can this possibly work; and if it doesn't work, why is it mentioned?

You can still counterspell spells with a longer casting time, but not without special feats.

The spells can also be used for dispelling each other, so the extra line is not completely useless in any case. :smallwink:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-05, 03:32 PM
A. 239

The intend of the errata was to stress that to get the benefit of Skirmish you have to move the 10 feet yourself.

Being moved, thrown, riding on a mount, moving along and falling should not allow you to qualify by my reading.

Moving along with something (on that things' turn) is not movement in that sense and the errata has other ways of ruining it too.

Page 12: Skirmish (class feature)
The second sentence of the skirmish class feature
should read as follows (new text indicated in red): She
deals an extra 1d6 points of damage on all attacks she
makes during any round in which she moves at least 10
feet away from where she was at the start of her turn.
The extra damage applies only to attacks made after the
scout has moved at least 10 feet. The skirmish ability
cannot be used while mounted.
This update should be made wherever the skirmish
ability description is presented (see also pages 31, 56,
and 177).
(My emphasis)

So after your turn starts you still have to move 10 feet. Being moved earlier in the round by something else does not count.

TigerHunter
2007-07-06, 01:40 AM
Q240
Can the orbs of light created by Dancing Lights (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dancingLights.htm) pass through objects, and if so, do they have any effect on said object.
Q241
Would Detect Magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectMagic.htm) be able to locate the subject of an Invisibility (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/invisibility.htm) spell, via homing in on the magical aura?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-06, 02:14 AM
A. 240

Nothing in the description indicates this, but even if they could, they would have no effect.

A. 241

Yes, but it is somewhat difficult since it takes three rounds to pinpoint the aura.

Captain van der Decken
2007-07-06, 12:16 PM
Q242
Can you initiate strike maneuvers after a charge? Since the standard action initiation is (or at least seems to be) a melee attack.

kamoo
2007-07-06, 12:20 PM
Q.243
When a character with low dex (lets say dex:8) its flat-footed, his AC raises?

Captain van der Decken
2007-07-06, 12:27 PM
A. 243

No.

You can’t use your Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) while flat-footed.

Emphasis mine. You only lose your dexterity bonus, not penalty.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-06, 01:26 PM
A. 242

No, the initiation for a strike is not a melee attack (you make the melee attack as part of the maneuver).
It is typically a standard action or full-round action in itself and cannot be combined with special attacks unless specifically mention in the entry.

Asmodeus
2007-07-06, 01:59 PM
Q 244

Is there any question which Silvanos can't answer? I mean... that guy is just everywhere!

Anxe
2007-07-06, 02:37 PM
Q 245

Can Monks in 3.5 make sunder attacks without taking Eagle Claw Attack?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-06, 02:40 PM
A. 244

Yes, far too many.

A. 245

Yes, Unarmed Strikes are bludgeoning weapons.

You can use a melee attack with a slashing or bludgeoning weapon to strike a weapon or shield that your opponent is holding.

Ivius
2007-07-06, 04:29 PM
Q246: Can you cast Touch range spells on yourself?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-06, 04:35 PM
A. 246

Yes, you can touch yourself.

(No, don't quote this one. The joke is too obvious)

Enlong
2007-07-06, 05:58 PM
Q. 247

If you replicate a spell that requires material components, a focus item, or XP cost with Shadow Conjuration, Shadow Evocation, the greater forms of the aforementioned spells, or Shades, do you have to have said components to replicate the spell?

DreadArchon
2007-07-06, 10:13 PM
A. 247
I think you can do it without the components, horribly enough, but I can't seem to find my original basis for this statement. (I guess I'll let the Eye Tyrant take a shot at it.)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-07, 01:21 AM
A. 247

DreadArchon is correct. The requirements outlined in the shadow line of spell does not mention anything about xp-components and lists Verbal and Somatic components as the only ones required.

Components: V, S

Curmudgeon
2007-07-07, 09:12 AM
Q 237 Monks//Wizard and touch attacks

b) If I cast chill touch, do I get my first touch attack as part of the casting action?

A 237b

You get no attacks, touch or otherwise "as part of the casting action". Casting a touch spell permits an attack to deliver the spell in the same round, but this is definitely not "part of the casting action" for two reasons:

Casting and making the attack may be separated by a move action, so these are clearly distinct actions.
An incoming attack that would force a Concentration check or cause you to lose the spell, if made (via immedate action or AoO) between when you cast the spell and make the attack, will not endanger the spell, again because these are separate actions. The spell is already successfully cast, and your hands are now holding the charge.

The only way in which the attack is part of the standard action "Cast a spell" is in the organization of the text. By this reasoning your move for the round is also part of this same standard action -- a ludicrous conclusion, which means the basic assumption is wrong.

The attack to deliver the touch spell in the casting round is simply a bonus attack permitted by the rules, and you shouldn't try to wrap non-RAW assumptions around it. You may attempt any form of touch attack that can deliver the spell in the same round you cast it, including unarmed attacks (which are treated as "armed" because of the charge held in your hands). But please note that this attack is not a standard attack, so no feat or class ability dependent on a standard attack is available.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-07, 09:45 AM
A 237b

You get no attacks, touch or otherwise "as part of the casting action". Casting a touch spell permits an attack to deliver the spell in the same round, but this is definitely not "part of the casting action" for two reasons:

Casting and making the attack may be separated by a move action, so these are clearly distinct actions.

No they are not.
Casting a touch attack spell and delivering it is one action. (It is not even a free action to deliver the spell)
You are just allowed to take another action in-between. (Other examples exist)

In the same round that you cast the spell, you may also touch (or attempt to touch) the target. You may take your move before casting the spell, after touching the target, or between casting the spell and touching the target.

An incoming attack that would force a Concentration check or cause you to lose the spell, if made (via immedate action or AoO) between when you cast the spell and make the attack, will not endanger the spell, again because these are separate actions. The spell is already successfully cast, and your hands are now holding the charge.

So, only a part of your (standard) action requires concentration. Not very common, but not really that strange given the nature of touch spells.

The only way in which the attack is part of the standard action "Cast a spell" is in the organization of the text. By this reasoning your move for the round is also part of this same standard action -- a ludicrous conclusion, which means the basic assumption is wrong.

I think you are jumping to this "ludicrous" conclusion and forgetting that you can take some action during or in-between others.

The attack to deliver the touch spell in the casting round is simply a bonus attack permitted by the rules, and you shouldn't try to wrap non-RAW assumptions around it. You may attempt any form of touch attack that can deliver the spell in the same round you cast it, including unarmed attacks (which are treated as "armed" because of the charge held in your hands). But please note that this attack is not a standard attack, so no feat or class ability dependent on a standard attack is available.

Do you have an actual RAW reference for this claim?
Where is the attack made as part of casting a touch attack spell defined as a bonus attack?
Where is it permitted that you make other attacks as part of the standard action used for casting and delivering the touch spell?

Petrof
2007-07-07, 11:21 AM
Q. 248
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but I have a fellow player in my campaign who refuses to write a backstory or do any except the most minor RPing. This is becoming extremely annoying to both the DM, myself and the other players, but he continues along just asking why he would want a backstory. Can anybody think of a decent way to make the person do some RP? Please? Now, because this has begun to sound like an Agony Aunt letter, I shall sign it "Frustrated." Thank you in advance for any efforts.

Frustrated.

Douglas
2007-07-07, 11:25 AM
A248
This thread is for questions about the rules, and your question is not a rules issue. Try starting a separate thread to discuss it.

cupkeyk
2007-07-07, 01:36 PM
Q249

So a ECL8 Doppleganger will only ever boyoff one level of his LA at level twenty before he goes epic.

How ever will the same doppelganger be allowed to buy off his LA at levels 12, 16 and 20 if he goes through the eight levels of doppelganger monster class?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-07, 01:49 PM
A. 249

Not really. The Doppleganger's LA is still +4 (with 4 racial HD) at the time where buy-off could be possible.

Levels taken in a monster class gives racial HD rather than class levels.

IMHO, treating those racial HD gained from the monster class progression as class levels does not seem unbalanced.

Jasdoif
2007-07-07, 02:05 PM
IMHO, treating those racial HD gained from the monster class progression as class levels does not seem unbalanced.I thought monster class progression levels weren't supposed to have LA, as the "cost" of the level adjustment is distributed throughout the progression.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-07-07, 02:13 PM
I thought monster class progression levels weren't supposed to have LA, as the "cost" of the level adjustment is distributed throughout the progression.
Re: 249

Some levels of a Monster Class don't grant HD or any of the benefits that come with it. This is where the LA is included.

Monster Class progressions are only available to allow players a chance to play a particular monster at levels lower than the monster's usual ECL would allow. By the time you finish a Monster Class, you will have the monster's full usual HD and LA.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-07, 02:15 PM
I thought monster class progression levels weren't supposed to have LA, as the "cost" of the level adjustment is distributed throughout the progression.

They do not have any additional LA, but at the end of the monster class progression you are just a regular MM monster with the same racial HD and LA as if you started out as a fully developed monster.

Monster class progression allows for playing monsters at lower ECL making high ECL creatures possible even for low level campaigns.

EDIT: Fast as the Wind NINJA I see, Windrider.

Bitzeralisis
2007-07-07, 02:50 PM
Q. 250
Is there any way to break down spells (e.g. give up a 8th-level spell to get two 4th-level spells) through any PrC, feat, etc.?

crazedloon
2007-07-07, 03:07 PM
Q 251

If you take the Natural Bond Feat in Comp Arcane (+3 Druid level for Animal companion) could you select a higher level animal companion then normal. i.e. a 4th level at level 1 a 7th at level 4 etc?

Fax Celestis
2007-07-07, 03:14 PM
A250 There's a feat in Lost Empires of Faerun that allows you to do just that. Arcane Manipulation.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-07, 03:15 PM
A251 The limit is still limited to your HD, so no.

boxboy582
2007-07-07, 05:06 PM
Q252

Do the feats in PHB apply to characters while they are flying, or are special flying feats required? Also, does charge in the PHB also apply when flying? I've looked for any type of flying feat and I haven't found any that apply to spring attack or charge. I've seen some that will add extra damage to your charge (diving charge) and some that improve your carrying capacity while flying, etc. Are special feats needed for the feats in PHB?

Example: Can the spring attack feat allow a character with a fly speed of 60 to fly 25 feet, then attack, and then fly the remaining 35 feet of his move.

I hope I didn't make that too confusing! :smalltongue:

Fax Celestis
2007-07-07, 05:09 PM
A252 Unless they specifically state "cannot be used while flying", any feat may be used while airborne. An airborne charge (commonly called a dive) is described here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#movingInThreeDimensions)

Of course, the Flyby Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#flybyAttack) feat is probably a better choice for flying characters than Spring Attack. Read closely and you'll see why.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-07, 05:12 PM
A. 252

Yes, they apply.

You can make a flying Spring Attack or charge.

When feats or abilities etc. just refer to movement, they usually apply to all kinds of movement.

Edit: Out-Faxed again. My HD also crashed and burned. Ohhh, what a joyous day!

Fax Celestis
2007-07-07, 05:36 PM
Q253 How do temporary Charisma bonuses interact with Leadership?

boxboy582
2007-07-07, 05:42 PM
Q252 continued

So would Flyby attack allow me to take all of my attacks like Spring Attack does and does it also provoke attacks of opportunity?

Fax Celestis
2007-07-07, 05:46 PM
A252Cont Spring Attack allows a single, melee attack. Flyby attack allows a standard action, which is a single melee attack, a spell, or a single ranged attack (among other things). Spring Attack does not allow you to full attack while moving.

Movement from Flyby Attack does provoke attacks of opportunity, unlike Spring Attack.

Jasdoif
2007-07-07, 06:10 PM
A253

Well, the text for Leadership does say "any Charisma modifiers" for determining your Leadership score.

With nothing stating you lose followers when your Leadership score goes down, I can see reasoning behind temporary bonuses increasing your recruitment capability (if the bonus is maintained over the necessary months). My personal opinion, however, is that temporary Cha bonuses shouldn't apply to Leadership score for followers, in the same way temporary Int bonuses don't apply to skill points gained per level (since you check for new followers upon leveling).

Cohorts, meanwhile, aren't truly capped by the indicated level in the Leadership table (it's your level, minus two, that caps theirs), and there's no specific time mentioned for gaining one originally. So I believe that temporary Cha bonuses do apply here, if only because they don't really matter once the cohort is obtained.

EDIT: v Have some popcorn, my friend.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-07, 06:10 PM
A. 253

While not covered under RAW in great detail it would seem that as long as you are always under the temporary effect you could still apply the bonus to your Leadership score.

So a Headband of Charisma would be golden, while a single non-persistent casting of Eagle's Splendor would not.

In other words, you need to have a permanent temporary bonus or a temporary bonus permanently. :smallwink:

Curmudgeon
2007-07-07, 06:13 PM
A 237b

You get no attacks, touch or otherwise "as part of the casting action".

Casting a touch attack spell and delivering it is one action. (It is not even a free action to deliver the spell)
You are just allowed to take another action in-between. (Other examples exist) The rules text doesn't make this "one action" statement; that's your invention. It merely says:
In the same round that you cast the spell, you may also touch (or attempt to touch) the target. In all rounds after the first one, the attack to deliver the touch spell isn't part of the "Cast a spell" action. Why must it be a part of the "Cast a spell" action in the first round, as opposed to something separate? Please cite a RAW reference that states the casting and touch attacks are the same action.

So, only a part of your (standard) action requires concentration. Not very common, but not really that strange given the nature of touch spells. Please cite any rules reference that only requires concentration for part of the act of casting a spell (standard action or other). I know of no precedent.
Casting Time

Most spells have a casting time of 1 standard action. A spell cast in this manner immediately takes effect.
Concentration

You must concentrate to cast a spell. If you can’t concentrate you can’t cast a spell. If you start casting a spell but something interferes with your concentration you must make a Concentration check or lose the spell. ... If you fail, the spell fizzles with no effect.
Either the standard action of casting the spell is done and the spell immediately takes effect, or the spell can be aborted after you've successfully charged your hands, and even taken a subsequent move action. Your statement that making the touch attack is "part of casting the spell" contradicts the spell concentration rules.
The attack to deliver the touch spell in the casting round is simply a bonus attack permitted by the rules, and you shouldn't try to wrap non-RAW assumptions around it.

Do you have an actual RAW reference for this claim?
My main argument is that your statement isn't in agreement with the RAW. The rules don't state that casting and making the attack in that round are part of the same action, any more than casting and moving are part of the same action. (The attack and the movement permitted in the casting round are part of this same standard action "Cast a spell" rules text.)
In all subsequent rounds the touch attack is an action mechanically identical to the attack in the casting round, but clearly separate from casting the spell. Again, the rules don't state that this first round attack is part of some type of "spell plus separate attack" action, nor do they describe the characteristics of such a hybrid action. Occam's razor says that we should disregard an assumption of such a hybrid action type when simpler alternatives (a standard action, and an attack) are available.
There's precedence for bonus attacks being permitted when you've already used a standard action in the round (the aforementioned simpler alternative), such as that from the Improved Trip feat:
If you trip an opponent in melee combat, you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt. Note that the action type isn't specified for this additional attack, either. The Snap Kick feat offers another example of a bonus attack being permitted, without the "immediately" requirement of Improved Trip.
The rules regarding a standard action spell taking effect immediately, or requiring concentration to avoid being disrupted, as quoted above.

Where is the attack made as part of casting a touch attack spell defined as a bonus attack? "Bonus" is just an English language term.
something extra or additional given freely I could just as well have used "extra attack", "additional activity", or "freebie attack". I consciously avoided specified D&D terms because the rules don't characterize what action is involved in this attack. (Opinion: Free action, which you referred to above, seems like the closest choice except that would allow the DM to impose a limit. That's my guess as to why the bonus attack doesn't have a specified action type.)

This is all about the RAW, but if you feel the need to hash it out some more it's no longer simple, so we should move to a new thread.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-07, 06:27 PM
I just knew that seconds before I pressed "Submit Reply" you would press it. :smallsigh: :smalltongue:

It is a small comfort to know that I won't be sharing many popcorn today. :smalltongue:

Out-Winded, Out-Faxed and Out-Jassed!

A253

My personal opinion, however, is that temporary Cha bonuses shouldn't apply to Leadership score for followers, in the same way temporary Int bonuses don't apply to skill points gained per level (since you check for new followers upon leveling).

Ahhh, but there is no compelling reason for not applying your temporarily modified intelligence score when determining skill points if the modification has been in place for the entire level, other than except ease of play and even that is not the most convincing argument considering the inconsistency that it creates.

So I ask, why would you extend this illogical piece of the RAW to also cover another area? :smallwink:

Jasdoif
2007-07-07, 06:44 PM
A237b rehash

It looks to me as though Lord_Silvanos and Curmudgeon may be arguing the same thing with different terms, so let me try to rephrase.

You can make the touch attack in the same round as you cast the spell, just as you make the ranged touch attack with a ray in the same round as you cast the spell. Most non-ranged touch attacks, however, allow you to retain the "charge", so if you miss (or can't/won't make the touch attack at the time of casting) you can still try to make the touch attack in later rounds.

In these later rounds, making a touch attack requires at least a standard action, like any other attack. (If it took no time, you should be allowed to simply take 20 on the touch attack and assume you eventually get a natural 20; there's no negative effect on failure, and twenty times "no time" is still "no time".) However, you don't need to make Concentration checks to maintain the spell if you're damaged during these later rounds: the spell is already cast, and is simply waiting for a target to confer its charge upon.

Ahhh, but there is no compelling reason for not applying your temporarily modified intelligence score when determining skill points if the modification has been in place for the entire level, other than except ease of play and even that is not the most convincing argument considering the inconsistency that it creates.

So I ask, why would you extend this illogical piece of the RAW to also cover another area? :smallwink:Whether you're being serious or not, responding as though you're serious will amuse me, so I shall.

Logic is not a RAW requirement anymore then realism is :smalltongue: Besides which, the reasons in your statement is why I mentioned my opinion last: If you and your DM are OK with recruiting up to your increased Leadership score (with no RAW to interfere with this) and you're both OK with not losing followers on Leadership score reduction (with no RAW to interfere with this), maintaining your bonus for the 1d4 months for recruiting is perfectly fine (since no RAW interferes with this).

crazedloon
2007-07-07, 07:05 PM
Q254

Do you choose all the feats for an animal companion even ones gained for its base hit dice or can you only choose the feats for hit dice gained from higher Druid level?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-07, 07:15 PM
The rules text doesn't make this "one action" statement; that's your invention. It merely says: In all rounds after the first one, the attack to deliver the touch spell isn't part of the "Cast a spell" action. Why must it be a part of the "Cast a spell" action in the first round, as opposed to something separate? Please cite a RAW reference that states the casting and touch attacks are the same action.

The RAW mentions the that it is part of the casting in at least one place.

You can touch as many willing targets as you can reach as part of the casting, but all targets of the spell must be touched in the same round that you finish casting the spell.
(My emphasis)

But other than that it follows from the fact that it does not require any other kind of action to make the touch attack.
That mans that it is either part of the casting or a non-action.

Please cite any rules reference that only requires concentration for part of the act of casting a spell (standard action or other). I know of no precedent. Either the standard action of casting the spell is done and the spell immediately takes effect, or the spell can be aborted after you've successfully charged your hands, and even taken a subsequent move action. Your statement that making the touch attack is "part of casting the spell" contradicts the spell concentration rules.

The language used in the description of touch attacks and specifically how you can insert a move action between the casting and the delivery of the spell is what is unusual in regard to the concentration rules.

[LIST=1]
My main argument is that your statement isn't in agreement with the RAW. The rules don't state that casting and making the attack in that round are part of the same action, any more than casting and moving are part of the same action. (The attack and the movement permitted in the casting round are part of this same standard action "Cast a spell" rules text.)

See above for one example, where it is stated directly in regard to touch spells, albeit not attack.

In all subsequent rounds the touch attack is an action mechanically identical to the attack in the casting round, but clearly separate from casting the spell. Again, the rules don't state that this first round attack is part of some type of "spell plus separate attack" action, nor do they describe the characteristics of such a hybrid action. Occam's razor says that we should disregard an assumption of such a hybrid action type when simpler alternatives (a standard action, and an attack) are available.

Why is it simpler to make up a new kind of undefined action that does not require an action?
At best it is a non-action, since it does not require an action.
However, you can only make this non-action if you also perform the actual action, so at this point we are really just splitting hairs.

There's precedence for bonus attacks being permitted when you've already used a standard action in the round (the aforementioned simpler alternative), such as that from the Improved Trip feat: Note that the action type isn't specified for this additional attack, either. The Snap Kick feat offers another example of a bonus attack being permitted, without the "immediately" requirement of Improved Trip.

These extra attacks that are well-defined and made as a result of the other action. They are not separate actions. They are non-actions or made as part of the other action.

"Bonus" is just an English language term. I could just as well have used "extra attack", "additional activity", or "freebie attack". I consciously avoided specified D&D terms because the rules don't characterize what action is involved in this attack. (Opinion: Free action, which you referred to above, seems like the closest choice except that would allow the DM to impose a limit. That's my guess as to why the bonus attack doesn't have a specified action type.)

Or it could be as simple as it was part of the casting?
It is certainly not a free action and it is not just any kind of touch attack that you can make and at the same time deliver the spell.
Unlike when holding the charge (in the rules defined way) you are only attacking armed with the spell.

(much like the casting of a touch spell allows an attack to be made as part of the spell’s casting).

The caster uses the cast a spell action (a standard action), and makes all the ranged touch attacks the spell allows as part of that standard action (not as part of the attack or full attack action); making these attacks is not an action at all.

Casting a quickened version ... the caster makes all the ranged touch attacks the spell allows as part of the free action he used to cast the spell.

(My emphasis in all of the FAQ quotes)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-07, 07:18 PM
Q254

Do you choose all the feats for an animal companion even ones gained for its base hit dice or can you only choose the feats for hit dice gained through being your companion?

A. 254

I am afraid you do not get to choose the feats for the base HD.

Use the base statistics for a creature of the companion’s kind

Fax Celestis
2007-07-07, 07:54 PM
A237Corollary

Touch: You must touch a creature or object to affect it. A touch spell that deals damage can score a critical hit just as a weapon can. A touch spell threatens a critical hit on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a successful critical hit. Some touch spells allow you to touch multiple targets. You can touch as many willing targets as you can reach as part of the casting, but all targets of the spell must be touched in the same round that you finish casting the spell.

We can infer from the fact that your BAB will never be high enough as a wizard to match your number of applicable targets as allowed by teleport or chill touch and similar spells that touch attacks are part of the casting of the spell, when it is cast, but are regular attacks after the spell is cast.

Curmudgeon
2007-07-07, 08:18 PM
But other than that it follows from the fact that it does not require any other kind of action to make the touch attack.
That mans that it is either part of the casting or a non-action. That's a reasonable conclusion. Since being "part of the casting" runs afoul of the spellcasting concentration rules, we should conclude that "not an action" is the best choice.

See above for one example, where it is stated directly in regard to touch spells, albeit not attack. There are no attacks to characterize for this form of touch spell, which is precisely the issue at hand. But that's probably where the FAQ author got the basis for twisting things up into some hybrid "spell plus separate attack standard action" logic that I guess you fell victim to.

Why is it simpler to make up a new kind of undefined action that does not require an action?
Why is it simpler to make up a new type of hybrid standard action that will have weird consequences regarding spellcasting concentration -- like provoking an AoO for moving into a threatened square "as part of casting" the spell when you charged your hands where nobody threatened you?

At best it is a non-action, since it does not require an action.
However, you can only make this non-action if you also perform the actual action, so at this point we are really just splitting hairs.
It's more than hair-splitting; we need to make the distinction because that decision has consequences. If the attack is part of the spellcasting action and we follow the spell concentration rules as written then you can retroactively disrupt the casting after an enemy has charged their hands and even moved. If this attack is just an unspecified bonus, AKA "not an action", then the spell cannot be retroactively aborted.

These [are] extra attacks that are well-defined and made as a result of the other action. They are not separate actions. They are non-actions or made as part of the other action.
With Snap Kick you can make a standard action melee attack, take a full move, and make your unarmed Snap Kick attack against another target. This second attack seems clearly separate from the standard action, and I can't see anyone characterizing this bonus attack as "part of" that initial attack. Do you? The parallel to touch attack spells seems pretty clear.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-07, 08:31 PM
With Snap Kick you can make a standard action melee attack, take a full move, and make your unarmed Snap Kick attack against another target. This second attack seems clearly separate from the standard action, and I can't see anyone characterizing this bonus attack as "part of" that initial attack. Do you? The parallel to touch attack spells seems pretty clear.
Uh, no you can't. Snap Kick works exactly the same as Rapid Shot: when you attack, you get an extra attack. You can't attack, move, and attack again. That's like Spring Attack gone sideways.

In any case: New Thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2846467#post2846467)

Curmudgeon
2007-07-07, 08:56 PM
Uh, no you can't. Snap Kick works exactly the same as Rapid Shot: when you attack, you get an extra attack. You can't attack, move, and attack again. Please familiarize yourself with the rules before replying. Rapid Shot requires a full attack. Not so for Snap Kick:
When you make a melee attack with one or more melee weapons (including a standard attack, full attack, or even a strike maneuver), you can make an additional attack at your highest attack bonus. This attack is an unnarmed attack that deals damage equal to your base unarmed attack damage + 1/2 your Str bonus. You take a -2 penalty on all attacks you make this round.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-07, 09:56 PM
Please familiarize yourself with the rules before replying. Rapid Shot requires a full attack. Not so for Snap Kick:

Yes, yes, that's all well and good, but you have to take that extra attack with the attack that triggers it. Otherwise, you're not making your extra attack with the first. Please note: "When you make a melee attack with one or more melee weapons..."

Pink
2007-07-08, 12:24 AM
Q 255

Does Bardic knack (PHB2 bardic knowledge variant) gain full effect on cross class skills? IE, a level 6 bard acts as though he has 3 ranks in appraise and such other class skills for rolling, however, what about Open Lock? does it count as 3 ranks or 1.5, ergo 1 rank?

Dhavaer
2007-07-08, 12:27 AM
Q 256

Does a Duskblade channeling shocking grasp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shockingGrasp.htm) get the +3 bonus on their attack roll?

Lucky
2007-07-08, 12:33 AM
Dhavaer, I would assume it would.

When delivering the jolt, you gain a +3 bonus on attack rolls if the opponent is wearing metal armor (or made out of metal, carrying a lot of metal, or the like).It doesn't specify touch attacks, just attacks in general. As the weapon you are channeling with is the object delivering the jolt, you get a +3 bonus to the attack against opponents wearing metal armour.

Q 255

Does Bardic knack (PHB2 bardic knowledge variant) gain full effect on cross class skills? IE, a level 6 bard acts as though he has 3 ranks in appraise and such other class skills for rolling, however, what about Open Lock? does it count as 3 ranks or 1.5, ergo 1 rank?It would be 3. You spend 2 skill points to get a cross-class rank.

Winged One
2007-07-08, 12:37 AM
Q257

According to the text of enervation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/enervation.htm), the negative levels it bestows cannot result in permenant level loss, because they don't last long enough. Does enervation force a fortitude save if a caster of level 12 or higher applies the Extend Spell feat to it, causing them to last for 24 hours? If so, is the DC equal to what enervation's DC would be?

Lucky
2007-07-08, 12:39 AM
Q257

According to the text of enervation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/enervation.htm), the negative levels it bestows cannot result in permenant level loss, because they don't last long enough. Does enervation force a fortitude save if a caster of level 12 or higher applies the Extend Spell feat to it, causing them to last for 24 hours? If so, is the DC equal to what enervation's DC would be?
You cannot apply Extend Spell to Enervation, as it has an instantaneous duration.

@V Sorry. :smalltongue:

crazedloon
2007-07-08, 12:40 AM
A 257

You can not apply extend spell to an enervation spell because it has a duration of Instantaneous

An extended spell lasts twice as long as normal. A spell with a duration of concentration, instantaneous, or permanent is not affected by this feat. An extended spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell’s actual level.

emphasis mine

edit: Ninja :smallfrown:

Jasdoif
2007-07-08, 12:49 AM
A257 comment

While Extend Spell doesn't apply here, if you did have some way to extend the duration of the negative levels enough, they would indeed force a save 24 hours later.

In this case, the save DC would be the standard "any save caused by a spell DC": 10 + spell level + your spellcasting ability modifer + any other modifiers you may have.

Captain van der Decken
2007-07-08, 07:51 AM
Q258
Are there any feats that allow you to attack in a grapple without taking a -4 penalty to hit?

Q259

Does using the constrict ability granted by the Crushing Weight of the Mountain stance use any action?

You can constrict an opponent that you grapple by making a successful grapple check.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-08, 09:41 AM
A. 258

Nothing comes to mind....

A. 259

You can make a grapple check in place of an attack, so if your BAB is high enough you can potentially use the constrict ability more than once per round.

Twilight Jack
2007-07-08, 10:53 AM
Q. 260: Has the feat progression for monsters changed between 3.0 and 3.5? I've gone over a few online SRDs and haven't found an explicit answer, but I've never gotten around to picking up a 3.5 MM, which I'm sure would clear it right up.

In 3.0, monsters got feats for every 4 HD + any bonus feats. When I've looked over some of the sample dragons in the Draconomicon, it seems like that's been upgraded to 1 new feat for every 3 HD. Has it changed?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-08, 10:57 AM
A. 260

Everyone, monsters and non-monsters alike, get a feat for every 3 HD in addition to the feat gained for the first HD (Unless otherwise noted in the creature's entry or Type*).

* Some Constructs, Oozes, Plants, Undeads and Vermin have an intelligence score of "-", which mean they do not get feats (or skills) based on HD.

Twilight Jack
2007-07-08, 11:13 AM
A. 260

Everyone, monsters and non-monsters alike, get a feat for every 3 HD in addition to the feat gained for the first HD (Unless otherwise noted in the creature's entry or Type*).

* Some Constructs, Oozes, Plants, Undeads and Vermin have an intelligence score of "-", which mean they do not get feats (or skills) based on HD.

Booyah! Thanks. It was looking that way, but I wanted to confirm it before I start statting out a few critters from my homebrew world for 3.5. Yes, it really has been that long since I've run a D&D game.

Enlong
2007-07-08, 01:01 PM
Q 257 corrolary:

What if a spell replicated by a Shadow spell originally requires components that make the spell nonsensical if ignored (like the big chest required to cast Leomund's Secret Chest, or the gems to be crushed for Dramaji's instant summons)? Do you use the focus item or component then?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-08, 01:38 PM
A. 247 Corollary

Q 257 corrolary:

What if a spell replicated by a Shadow spell originally requires components that make the spell nonsensical if ignored (like the big chest required to cast Leomund's Secret Chest, or the gems to be crushed for Dramaji's instant summons)? Do you use the focus item or component then?

No, you only use the components required by the Shadow spell (V,S), not what is required bu the spell you seek to duplicate.

Callix
2007-07-08, 03:34 PM
Q 258
On the subject of constriction, do you gain the constrict damage on each successful grapple check, even when the check does something else, and do you deal damage when you beat an opponent's check during their turn?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-08, 03:44 PM
A. 261 (Not 258)

(The question before referred to an old question (247))

Q 258
On the subject of constriction, do you gain the constrict damage on each successful grapple check, even when the check does something else, and do you deal damage when you beat an opponent's check during their turn?

Constrict is a special attack, so you only apply damage from Constrict when that is what you are actually trying to damage your foe through grappling (Or when establishing a hold with Improved Grab).

Constrict (Ex): A creature with this special attack can crush an opponent, dealing bludgeoning damage, after making a successful grapple check. The amount of damage is given in the creature’s entry. If the creature also has the improved grab ability it deals constriction damage in addition to damage dealt by the weapon used to grab.

Improved Grab (Ex): If a creature with this special attack hits with a melee weapon (usually a claw or bite attack), it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. No initial touch attack is required. Unless otherwise noted, improved grab works only against opponents at least one size category smaller than the creature. The creature has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use the part of its body it used in the improved grab to hold the opponent. If it chooses to do the latter, it takes a –20 penalty on grapple checks, but is not considered grappled itself; the creature does not lose its Dexterity bonus to AC, still threatens an area, and can use its remaining attacks against other opponents. A successful hold does not deal any extra damage unless the creature also has the constrict special attack. If the creature does not constrict, each successful grapple check it makes during successive rounds automatically deals the damage indicated for the attack that established the hold. Otherwise, it deals constriction damage as well (the amount is given in the creature’s descriptive text). When a creature gets a hold after an improved grab attack, it pulls the opponent into its space. This act does not provoke attacks of opportunity. It can even move (possibly carrying away the opponent), provided it can drag the opponent’s weight

XBobbis
2007-07-08, 05:05 PM
Q262 Push/Drag Movement Speeds

According to the PHB, you can push/drag something up to 5x your maximum load. What would your speed be at pushing this much, and what about if you're pushing 5x your light load?

This came up when someone with 18 strength wanted to drag a 200 pound body, is he medium encumbered and thus moving at 20 feet (base 30)?

Asmodeus
2007-07-08, 05:21 PM
Q262 Push/Drag Movement Speeds

According to the PHB, you can push/drag something up to 5x your maximum load. What would your speed be at pushing this much, and what about if you're pushing 5x your light load?

This came up when someone with 18 strength wanted to drag a 200 pound body, is he medium encumbered and thus moving at 20 feet (base 30)?

A 262

If he picks the body up and carries it, and that puts him at medium encumberment he'll move at 20 ft.

While the RAW does not explicitely state this, it appears to imply that dragging moves at a rate of 5 ft per full-round, as if lifting the maximum load off the ground. However, a DM who values realism over rules might be convinced to allow faster dragging for lighter loads.

Lifting and Dragging

A character can lift as much as his or her maximum load over his or her head.

A character can lift as much as double his or her maximum load off the ground, but he or she can only stagger around with it. While overloaded in this way, the character loses any Dexterity bonus to AC and can move only 5 feet per round (as a full-round action).

A character can generally push or drag along the ground as much as five times his or her maximum load. Favorable conditions can double these numbers, and bad circumstances can reduce them to one-half or less.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-07-08, 05:34 PM
If he picks the body up and carries it, and that puts him at medium dismemberment, he'll move at 20 ft.
Medium Dismemberment? *OUCH!*

Remind me not to pick up too much gear when you're DMing.

Asmodeus
2007-07-08, 05:39 PM
Medium Dismemberment? *OUCH!*

Remind me not to pick up too much gear when you're DMing.

... Stupid spell-checker...

Fixed.

Pink
2007-07-08, 10:05 PM
Q 263

If Maximize Spell is applied to the spell Snake darts(sorry) (pg 122 Carc) is the poison damage maximized as well?

Edit: And for that matter, would Empower spell effect poison damage as well?

Winged One
2007-07-08, 10:26 PM
A 263

As a variable numeric effect of snake darts(I assume that's the spell you meant), the Constitution damage is affected by the use of the Empower Spell and Maximize Spell feats.

BDEYE
2007-07-09, 10:50 AM
Q264

The prerequisites for the Invisible Blade PrC class (CWar) are Point Blank Shot and Far Shot. That has to be a misprint, those feats have nothing to do with the classes abilities. Is there an errata or other official source listing the correct feats?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-09, 11:05 AM
A. 264

No.

You could always throw your daggers at the intended target.

enderrocksonall
2007-07-09, 11:36 AM
Q 265

I started a thread to get an answer for some of my character creation questions and I got directed here. So here goes.

Does the +4 to special abilitie DC's from Vow of Non-Violence apply to the calming aura and the DC for enemy weapons to shatter from Vow of Peace?

So if I had a cha of 10 at level 1, would the DC for the calming aura be 11, or 15?

Zid
2007-07-09, 11:48 AM
Q 266

Does a druid gain more hitpoints for wildshaping into a animal that gives him a CON bonus?

squishycube
2007-07-09, 11:59 AM
A266
No.

Detailed answer, see here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36006&page=44).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-09, 12:52 PM
A. 265

Yes, but the DC for your example 1st level, 10 CHA character would only be 14. (10+0.5x1+0+4, rounded down)

Asmodeus
2007-07-09, 12:59 PM
Q 267

A. What are the rules for rounding?

B. When using a weapon with two hands, that applies strength and a half, for someone with 12 STR/+1 modifier, how does that work? Do I add 1 or 2?

Curmudgeon
2007-07-09, 12:59 PM
Yes, yes, that's all well and good, but you have to take that extra attack with the attack that triggers it. Otherwise, you're not making your extra attack with the first. Please note: "When you make a melee attack with one or more melee weapons..." There's an established way to specify what you're reading into this feat, and Improved Trip provides an example:
If you trip an opponent in melee combat, you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt. It's already clear that you can make other attacks before the Snap Kick attack because of the "one or more melee weapons" language, so there's no immediacy involved. Why is a Snap Kick delayed by 9 more attacks (using all the TWF and flurry of blows options) OK, but a Snap Kick after a single move action not?

"When ... you can" just means in the same round. If they'd meant "immediately", they would have used that word, just as they did in the Improved Trip and Snatch Arrows feats.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-09, 01:03 PM
A. 267

A)

ROUNDING FRACTIONS

In general, if you wind up with a fraction, round down, even if the fraction is one-half or larger.

Exception: Certain rolls, such as damage and hit points, have a minimum of 1.

B)

1. (See above)

Jervas Dudley
2007-07-09, 02:57 PM
Q 268:

A) Can Natural Bond (Complete Adventurer) be used to improve a higher level druid's animal companion? I don't think this is right, but as written it seems like if you're an 7th level druid with a dire wolf for example, your effective druid level with that animal companion is 1st, so can you take natural bond to raise your effective druid level to 4th?

B) Same vein, but could a Beast Master with multiple animal companions (some of them at a penalty) take Natural Bond to improve one of them to their HD?

Thanks in advance,
-Jervas.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-09, 03:56 PM
A. 268

Yes.

I actually think that use of the feat like this was intended.

crazedloon
2007-07-09, 10:54 PM
Q 269

When you use Animate Dead you create a skeletal creature of whatever you cast it on correct (i.e. apply the template) I realize this sounds dumb but my brain just aint working.

Jasdoif
2007-07-09, 10:58 PM
A269

Yes, if you're creating skeletons and not zombies.

knightware
2007-07-10, 04:06 AM
Q270: Whats the LA for a Plantar Angel

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-10, 04:14 AM
A. 270

It has not been given a LA, so the designers did not see it as a suitable race for player characters.

ANGEL, PLANETAR
Level Adjustment: —

Level Adjustment

This line is included in the entries of creatures suitable for use as player characters or as cohorts (usually creatures with Intelligence scores of at least 3 and possessing opposable thumbs).

knightware
2007-07-10, 04:25 AM
Q. 271 What would a reasonable LA for a Plantar Angel

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-10, 05:26 AM
A. 271

That is not a RAW question, but comparing it to say the Astral Deva we start at the very least at +8 making it Epic before any class levels are added.

I suggest you make another thread if you want to have people adjudicating this question.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-07-10, 10:49 AM
A. 270

It has not been given a LA, so the designers did not see it as a suitable race for player characters.
Well, for non-epic characters. As you point out in your next thread, the Planetar would most definitely have an epic starting ECL. And it seems that the writers just did not provide LAs for anything that would have a starting ECL over 20, regardless of the race's apparent suitability.

enderrocksonall
2007-07-10, 03:05 PM
Q 272

Does a wand require any kind of ability score or spell casting ability to use without a UMD check?

Jasdoif
2007-07-10, 03:09 PM
A272

You have to be a member of a class that has the wand's spell on its class spell list. You don't have to be of a high enough level to cast spells, though (a 1st-level paladin can use a wand of cure light wounds, even though this paladin can't cast spells yet).

Alveanerle
2007-07-10, 03:10 PM
Q 272

Does a wand require any kind of ability score or spell casting ability to use without a UMD check?

A. 272

You need the spell that's contained within the wand to be present on your class spell list.

(oh my, and a second too late again)

Asmodeus
2007-07-10, 03:11 PM
Q 272

A 272

Yes. In order to use a wand without a UMD check, you must have the spell on your spell list. Wands are Spell Trigger items.

You do not need to be able to cast the spell or have an appropriate ability score. For example, a level 3 Paladin, with a Wisdom of 8 can still use a wand of Cure Light Wounds.

Spell Trigger

Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it’s even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken. Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. (This is the case even for a character who can’t actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin.) The user must still determine what spell is stored in the item before she can activate it. Activating a spell trigger item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Bitzeralisis
2007-07-11, 12:09 AM
Q273. Warlock. How many uses of Eldritch blast a day? Or infinite?

Raum
2007-07-11, 12:10 AM
A273 As many times as they get standard actions in a day.

Hranat
2007-07-11, 06:47 AM
Q 274

Do you threaten/can you attack someone on a square with a reach weapon if another person (ally or enemy) stands in between?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-11, 06:55 AM
A. 274

The target would have cover, granting a +4 bonus to ac against attacks, and would prevent AoOs.

COVER

To determine whether your target has cover from your ranged attack, choose a corner of your square. If any line from this corner to any corner of the target’s square passes through a square or border that blocks line of effect or provides cover, or through a square occupied by a creature, the target has cover (+4 to AC).

When making a melee attack against a target that isn’t adjacent to you (such as with a reach weapon), use the rules for determining cover from ranged attacks.

Cover and Attacks of Opportunity: You can’t execute an attack of opportunity against an opponent with cover relative to you.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-07-11, 08:35 AM
A273 As many times as they get standard actions in a day.
+3 if they take Quicken Spell-like Ability. Maybe even more if they find other similar tricks.

It's totally at will.

Citizen Joe
2007-07-11, 03:13 PM
Q275

What is the capacity of a tent (the 10 gp, 20 lbs one)?
Its listed with the notation about being 1/4th the weight for small characters, so I'm assuming its a one man tent.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-11, 03:56 PM
A. 275

The only RAW source on tents is the PHB description (page 127).
The rest will be speculations and assumptions.

Just Tent for two
And two for Tent
Just me for you
And you for me...

MeklorIlavator
2007-07-11, 04:01 PM
Q.276
IF I use Eldrich Glaive(Dragon Magic), do I add Strength Damage? And how long does it last( I've been saying it lasts 1 round, but I'm not sure)? And does it grant greater reach with larger sizes, say Righteous Might?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-11, 04:21 PM
A. 276

You do not add STR damage. The effect of a hit is that of a Eldritch Blast, not a normal melee weapon.

Duration is one round (Until right before your next turn).

You are treated as wielding a reach weapon, so you current (even if magically modified) reach would double.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-11, 07:17 PM
277 What are some LA+0 or LA+1 races with Dexterity and/or Charisma bonuses, and what source are they in?

brian c
2007-07-11, 07:37 PM
277 What are some LA+0 or LA+1 races with Dexterity and/or Charisma bonuses, and what source are they in?

Well, Elves and Halflings for Dex, and Raptorans might, I don't remember. Can't think of anything with Charisma except Aasimar.

Jasdoif
2007-07-11, 07:43 PM
A277 some

Allow me to cover some core ones, if only because I'm bored.

Aasimar are LA +1, and have +2 Wis and +2 Cha.
Aquatic Elves are LA 0, and have +2 Dex and -2 Int.
Goblins are LA +0, and have -2 Str, +2 Dex and -2 Cha.
Gray Elves are LA 0, and have -2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con and +2 Int.
Halflings (all core varieties) are LA 0, and have -2 Str and +2 Dex.
High Elves (standard Elves) are LA 0, and have +2 Dex and -2 Con.
Hobgoblins are LA +1, and have +2 Dex and +2 Con.
Kobolds are LA 0, and have -4 Str, +2 Dex and -2 Con.
Locathahs are LA +1 (with 2 RHD), and have +2 Dex, +2 Int and +2 Wis.
Merfolk are LA +1, and have +2 Dex, +2 Con and +2 Cha.
Tieflings are LA +1, and have +2 Dex, +2 Int and -2 Cha.
Wild Elves are LA 0, and have +2 Dex and -2 Int.
Wood Elves are LA 0, and have +2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con and -2 Int.

Middle Snu
2007-07-11, 11:55 PM
Question 278

A Hound Archon is protected by a Magic Circle against Evil. Does this protect it from being compelled to perform a task with Lesser Planar Binding?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-12, 01:03 AM
A. 278

No, Protection from Evil only protects against Enchantment and possession effects.

Planar Binding is a Conjuration (Calling) effect.

Second, the barrier blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature (by a magic jar attack, for example) or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person).

TigerHunter
2007-07-12, 01:37 AM
Q278
Can skeletons swim? I know they can't fly, but can they swim? Can human skeletons swim as well as or better than, say, a sahuagin skeleton?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-12, 01:43 AM
A. 278

The Template mentions nothing about Swim speeds, so they would keep their swim speed.

Awetugiw
2007-07-12, 05:49 PM
Q279.Does a wizard who takes a prestige class that gives extra spells per day gain two free spells for his spellbook per level?

(I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it. Sorry.)

Alleine
2007-07-12, 06:46 PM
Q280:
Is there a way to add weapons to the monks special weapon list?

Shoyliguad
2007-07-12, 06:55 PM
Q280:

Yes, in Eberron campaign setting there are a few feats that allow you to add weapons, I'm sure if you want another your DM will let you homebrew it.

Q281:

What caster level does a scroll use? As in the casters or the makers?