PDA

View Full Version : Help with 30point buy please :)

Stewbert
2015-11-13, 02:21 PM
So I've had this character a little over a year. Started at level 1 now 10. I'm playing a Mystic Theurge and despite the hate for the class, I love it and feel very powerful. Here's my build: 3cleric/3wiz/4mystic.

Human
HP: 64
Str: 10
Dex: 10
Con: 14 +2 (16). Gear bonuses&level
Int: 16 +6 (22)
Wis: 16 +2 (18)
Chr: 8

I've been wondering lately however if I should have built either of the following two builds instead.

HP: 54
Str: 8
Dex: 8
Con: 12
Int: 18
Wis: 16

Or

HP: 74
Str: 8
Dex: 8
Con: 16
Int: 16
Wis: 16

Would like opinions on what ppl think is the best build here. My current is the most balanced but the other two focus on HP and int. Reason for the post ATM, im regretting not going build two, int focused for an extra dc and spell slot, but also wonder if that's worth all I lose to gain that. (10 HP, 1ac, 1to hit, 1refl, 1fort,1concentration)

Amphetryon
2015-11-13, 02:32 PM
I'm assuming you entered Mystic Theurge as Wizard/Cleric, rather than through a method that reduces MAD?

I'd choose D) None of the above, and instead go:

STR 8
DEX 8
CON 12
INT 16
WIS 16
CHA 14

Under the assumption that you can make effective use of Turn Undead to power other things as well as combat Skeletons and such. If that's not viable due to available books, I'd swap suggested CON and CHA for the bit of extra HP, decrease CHA to 10, and increase DEX so it's no longer at a penalty, since your REF save is a relative weakness.

Curmudgeon
2015-11-13, 03:11 PM
Charisma should be set to whatever gives you efficient return on your turn/rebuke undead uses. For example, Travel Devotion requires 2 turn/rebuke undead uses for each extra use of Travel Devotion. Because your daily turn/rebuke uses is 3 + CHA mod, Charisma 12 is better than either 10 or 14: 12 gives you +2 uses of Travel Devotion without any waste.

You go through similar contemplation for the other abilities. Wisdom is your most important stat because of your initial spellcasting and the fact that Wisdom boosts your saves while Intelligence does not, but you don't necessarily need to go above 14 on your point buy. (Everything above 14 costs more points per stat increase.) If you use 14 point buy and start with a race with a Wisdom bonus instead of Human you can get more bang for your point buy buck. Lesser Axani would be my suggestion: the base race is in Dragon #297, page 63; the Lesser adjustment is in Player’s Guide to Faerûn, page 191. This race provides +2 Wisdom and +2 Intelligence, so you'll start with Wisdom 16, and be at base Wisdom of 18 when you gain your second ability increment at level 8. A +2 enhancement item costs 4,000 gp, which is just 8% of the standard level 10 wealth. The Axani Intelligence bonus exactly offsets the Human bonus skill points, and other racial abilities (60' darkvision, cold and sonic resistance 5, +2 racial to Dexterity and Spot, Calm Emotions 1/day) are a pretty good tradeoff for a level 1 feat. So you're ahead on Wisdom, your most important stat; ahead on Intelligence, your second most important ability; and otherwise not disadvantaged compared to a Human.

If you're going to pick up Travel Devotion that makes Charisma 12 the best choice. With 30 point buy you can make every other ability 14 except for one stat at 10. Typically you'll decide between melee and ranged attacks as your main focus. If you're worrying about hit points that probably means you'll be in melee, so you'd buy Strength 14 and Dexterity 10. That would lead to the following array:

STR 14
DEX 10
CON 14
INT 14 -> 16 (racial adjustment) -> 18 (+2 enhancement item)
WIS 14 -> 18 (racial adjustment; increments @ 4, 8) -> 20 (+2 enhancement item)
CHA 12

Another +2 enhancement item would boost your CON, if you're still worried about HP.