PDA

View Full Version : Denied!

The Demented One
2007-05-30, 10:26 PM
Meddling Mage

“It was probably a lousy spell in the first place.”
Ertai, Meddling Mage

Meddling Mages are masters of dispelling and countermagic. They rely on negating their foes’ spells rather than using their own. For most spellcasters, this passiveness would be a weakness, but Meddling Mages have perfected it unto an art form. They can counter spells faster and with greater ease, and can absorb the energy of spells that negate–or turn them back on their casters. The first Meddling Mage was Ertai, a vain and overconfident wizard who developed countless spells of negation and denial, and first perfected the art of countermagic. Although there is no brotherhood among Meddling Mages, almost all have made some study of Ertai’s works.

d4 HD

Requirements
To qualify to become a Meddling Mage, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
Feats: Improved Counterspell, Skill Focus (Spellcraft)
Skills: Spellcraft 8 ranks
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast third-level spells

Class Skills
The Meddling Mage’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack[br]Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Spontaneous Dispelling|

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Mystic Skill|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Confident Dispelling|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Resonant Dispelling|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Greater Counterspelling|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Absorb Magic|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Greater Spontaneous Dispelling|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Reflexive Counter|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Mastery of Counterspelling|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Abjurant Abeyance|+1 level of existing spellcasting class [/table]

Class Features
All the following are class features of the Meddling Mage prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
You gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Spellcasting
Whenever you gain a new Meddling Mage level except 1st, you gain new spells per day and spells known as if you had also gained a level in an arcane or divine spellcasting class you belonged to before you added the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Spontaneous Dispelling (Ex)
At 1st level, dispelling and countering the spells of other casters becomes second nature for you. If you prepare spells, then you gain the ability to spontaneously cast dispel magic as a 3rd-level spell. You may expend a spell slot of 3rd level or higher in order to cast dispel magic. If you cast spells spontaneously, then you gain dispel magic as a bonus spell known of 3rd level. You gain these benefits even if dispel magic is not on your class spell list, or is on it at a different spell level.

Mystic Skill (Ex)
At 2nd level, you are skilled at identifying spells as they’re being cast. You gain a competence bonus on all Spellcraft checks made to identify a spell equal to your class level.

Confident Dispelling (Ex)
At 3rd level, your ability to dispel magic is unshakable. You may take 10 on caster level checks made to dispel a spell.

Resonant Dispelling (Ex)
At 4th level, you can seize on flaws in your enemy’s magic. Whenever you dispel or counter a spell, you can identify the flaws and weaknesses in it. Until the end of the encounter, you gain a +2 competence bonus on all caster level checks made to dispel or counter spells cast by that spell’s caster. This bonus increases to +3 at 6th level, +4 at 8th level, and +5 at 10th level.

Greater Counterspelling (Ex)
At 5th level, it takes less effort for you to counter enemy spells. When you counter a spell, you may expend two spells of the same level and school as the spell you are countering, instead of a single spell of the same school and a higher level.

Absorb Magic (Su)
At 6th level, you can drain the energy of spells you negate, healing yourself with them. Whenever you counter or dispell a spell, you may absorb it. If you do, you are healed 1d6 hp, plus an amount of hp equal to the spell’s level. If you absorb a spell, then you cannot turn it with the mastery of counterspelling ability.

Greater Spontaneous Dispelling (Ex)
At 7th level, you’re never without a counterspell. If you prepare spells, then you gain the ability to spontaneously cast greater dispel magic as a 6th-level spell. You may expend a spell slot of 6th level or higher in order to cast greater dispel magic. If you cast spells spontaneously, then you gain greater dispel magic as a bonus spell known of 6th level. You gain these benefits even if greater dispel magic is not on your class spell list, or is on it at a different spell level.

Reflexive Counter (Ex)
At 8th level, you can counter spells in a split-second’s time. You need only ready a swift action, rather than a standard action, to counter a spell.

Mastery of Counterspelling (Sp)
At 9th level, you gain the ability to turn spells that you have countered back on their casters. Whenever you counter a spell, you may turn it back on its caster, as the spell turning spell. You cannot turn back spells that couldn’t normally be affected by spell turning. If you turn a spell, then you cannot absorb it with the absorb magic ability.

Abjurant Abeyance (Su)
At 10th level, you can suppress a mage’s very ability to use magic. Whenever you counter or dispell a spell, that spell’s caster must make a Will save, DC 10 + ½ your caster level + your casting stat’s modifier. If he fails the save, then he cannot cast spells or use spell completions for during his next round. In addition, any spell-like or supernatural abilities he has are suppressed until the end of his next round.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-30, 10:33 PM
Hm. My Countercaster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27152) is rather similar.

The Demented One
2007-05-30, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I hadn't seen that one before. Similar, but different, I guess.

Ponce
2007-05-31, 12:22 AM
In regard to the Spontaneous Dispelling ability, would a sorcerer going into this class gain a different bonus spell if he already has Dispel Magic? If he is focusing on counterspelling, I imagine he would conceivably want Dispel Magic as soon as possible.

Sounds like a very solid class. Would keep the party very safe, I think, heh.

EagleWiz
2007-05-31, 01:51 PM
Ertai, Meddling Mage

Isnt there a Magic the gathering card named Ertai with the same quote?

And denied is a card from one of the joke sets.

The Demented One
2007-05-31, 03:50 PM
Ertai, Meddling Mage

Isnt there a Magic the gathering card named Ertai with the same quote?

And denied is a card from one of the joke sets.
Yep, that's what I'm referencing. The class is named after the Meddling Mage card, by the way.

In regard to the Spontaneous Dispelling ability, would a sorcerer going into this class gain a different bonus spell if he already has Dispel Magic? If he is focusing on counterspelling, I imagine he would conceivably want Dispel Magic as soon as possible.
Nope. However, if a Sorcerer's planning to go into the class, he can just hold off on learning dispel magic.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-31, 05:13 PM
Hm. My Countercaster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27152) is rather similar.

And my one is completely differant.

But I never posted it because I couldn't be bothered to do a d20 modern table.

Maerok
2007-05-31, 07:41 PM
I like it. Abjuration classes are cool but few.

TheOOB
2007-05-31, 07:58 PM
The class is interesting, though I don't see why it needs to lose a caster level(especially since the class is so dependant on getting good rolls on caster level checks).

I don't belive the reflexive counter ability works, at least not how you'd want it to. It takes a standard action to ready an action reguardless of what type of action you are readying, thus readying a swift action doesn't help you much. I think the ability would work much better if it let you counterspell as an immediate action.

DracoDei
2007-05-31, 07:59 PM
Nope. However, if a Sorcerer's planning to go into the class, he can just hold off on learning dispel magic.

That seems very counter-intuitive... I want to focus on dispelling... better not take that Dispel Magic too soon, let them get to the same point no matter which path they take to get there says I.

TheOOB
2007-06-01, 03:21 AM
Well, a sorc could learn dispel magic early, get it as a bonus spell known from the class, then trade their old dispel magic in for a new spell the next even level.