PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help build me a 12th level non-healbot Cleric.

Squeak
2015-11-13, 07:04 PM
I am going to be a healer of sorts in a level 12 Pathfinder game and I am trying to decide between a non-healbot Caster Cleric and a Hedge Witch. I have only played Pathfinder at very low-level before and while I am have been trying to read up on this there is so much information that I getting totally overwhelmed.

I was thinking of going Human Cleric and have 20 build points, and was really hoping someone could give me a outline for a 12th level caster Cleric. Also, my character will be starting with 80,000 gp each, a maximum of 20,000 gp can be spent on any one item, and which has to include adventuring gear and one off equipment. I am guessing that a Headband of Inspired Wisdom(+4) for 16,000 gp is a good choice, but what else should I be getting?

EDIT:
To clarify, I would prefer offensive casting and summoning if possible.

ericgrau
2015-11-13, 11:35 PM
+2 wisdom is a great choice. Blowing 1/5th of your wealth on +4 wisdom OTOH not so much. It's only another +1 to spell save DCs and spells with saves often aren't the best choice. And actually if you want to be a melee cleric then str and con might be your highest stats, while wisdom may only be moderate. Even on an offensive casting cleric the benefit to most spells is little or none.

Being a non heal-bot mainly depends on spell selection. Especially for your highest level spells.

6: mass bear's endurance, mass bull's strength (if the party is at least 2/3 melee), harm, heroes' feast, extended greater command or extended greater forbid action, empowered holy smite, reach breath of life (it's healing, but it's great for a non-healbot because it makes it easier to let people die)
5: communal air walk, mass heroic fortune (don't be stingy; D&D is brief enough that spamming one-offs is usually better than permanent items), holy ice, communal spell immunity (for monster SLAs + good knowledge ranks to know them: the greatest weakness of spell immunity is that the enemy can just switch targets, not anymore), wall of stone
4: blessing of fervor, divination, imbue with spell ability (shield other is my favorite, as is any swift/immediate spell on a non-caster), greater magic weapon (cast twice or extend for 24 hours)

One healing spell you might want to take is heal in spite of it not being your shtick.

Spells like righteous might left out on purpose, even for a melee cleric. The mass buffs are better in most parties. Plus losing one of your precious 2-3 rounds of early attacks defeats the purpose of self buffing and may even be a net loss. Summons take a lot of work and planning to pull off well. In theory they're spare fighters; in practice they're a joke. Usually they have too little offense to have any effect at all on enemies, and if enemies don't outright ignore them they tend to drop in one hit. But their special abilities and so forth can work out if you plan and stat out a good variety for various situations, plus optimize them heavily. Planning and pre-statting is also required to avoid grinding the game to a halt. So while I left out summoning spells I'm not saying not to take them; I'm only saying to take the feats for them and do a tremendous amount of planning if you do take them. Otherwise don't take them.

For gear I'd get a wand of augury, wand(s) of cure light wounds, and a scroll of every 1st through 3rd level utility and remove X condition spell. Sure you don't want to be a band-aid, but it doesn't hurt to do so between combat when you have all the time in the world to do both that and anything else you want. Plus the utility is nice too. At your level a staff might be nice for any spells you like to spam. A rod of extend spell is nice. Melee gear is nice if you melee.

Secret Wizard
2015-11-14, 12:00 AM
Really depends on what caster you want to be. 12th level gives you a lot of flexibility.

The best options are probably disabler, evoker or summoner, each of them with a side of buffing.

There's no such thing as a healbot cleric though. Any healing strategy is outperformed by a more active heal + disable/summon/blast strategy.

If you are also interested in beating face, other options appear too.

Zhentarim
2015-11-14, 08:26 AM
Plant (Decay subdomain) is great after level 8, and so is Evil (Demon), Chaos (Demon), and Destruction. Fire domain is also decent, but a little less flexible.

Treerazor and Zon-Kuthon are good choices for dieties.

Squeak
2015-11-14, 04:07 PM
After a lot of tinkering about i came up with this 20 point build:

12th level CG Human Cleric of Desna (Fate and Travel)

STR 9
DEX 12
CON 14
INT 07
WIS 17 +2 Human +3 level-ups
CHR 14

TRAITS

Reactionary
Focused Mind

SKILLS

Perception
Spellcraft

FEATS 6+1 at level 12

Reach Spell
Improved Initiative
Spell Focus (conjuration)
Augment Summoning
Superior Summoning
Scribe Scroll
Divine Interference

Planned Feats (4)

Sacred Summons
Quicken
Spell Penetration
G. Spell Penetration

I didn't take Combat Casting as the Gloves of Elvenkind gives that ability. Would it be worth taking Selective Channel rather than one of my other choices, or is this not worth bothering?
I was also thinking of swapping Reach Spell for Craft Wondrous Item, and getting a level 6 Metamagic Rod of Reach. (We will have a wizard in out group with the feat also, but the possibility of making whatever item I need seems too good to pass up.)

Also this is a long-term campaign which might just hit 20 so is maxing the WIS worth it? I am hoping to use DC-based Save or Die and their ilk spells if possible. An alternative stat layout is

STR 8 DEX 12 CON 14 INT 07 WIS 18 CHR 14

which has the maximum starting WIS of 18 but at the cost of 2 less CHR and 1 lower STR.

This is a long-term campaign which might just hit 20 so is maxing the WIS worth it? I am hoping to use DC-based Save or Die and their ilk spells if possible.

Or any other thoughts?