PDA

View Full Version : D&D affiliations

Barlen
2015-11-13, 07:46 PM
Greetings, I have decided to use some affiliations from phb2 in my upcoming 3.5 campaign. It seemed like a nice option to add some abilities for the players. It also seems like a good way to add positive motivation for them to stay on track with the plot (since refusing a mission from their affiliation looses some rank). But I haven't used these before and it's been a while since I have DMed and this is the first time I have tried to set these up.

I don't know what characters the players are bringing just yet. We do have a confirmed Cleric of Pelor who will be going Radient Servant.

The affiliations I am setting up first are the mages guild and an order of knights that they sponsor. Neither is terribly picky about what class they allow in, but you need to have certain class or abilites to progress beyond a certain point. Also some of the rewards are directed at certain classes (at least those who can cast spells).

Here is what I have, spoilered for length:

Order of the Ruby Throne: (yes the titles of each rank needs to be changed)

Criterion Affiliation Score Modifier
One-Time
Character level +1/2 levels
Knowledge (arcana) 5-9 ranks +1
Knowledge (arcana) 10 or more ranks +2
Can cast arcane spells 3rd level or higher +2
Can cast arcane spells 5th level or higher +2
Has a level in the PrC “Mage of the Arcane Order” +2

Multiple Use
Each successful mission for the Mage's guild +2
Each successful campaign for the guild +4
Find and Bring a knew piece of Magic or Lore to the guild +1
Divulges secrets of the guild –4
Embarrasses the guild -2
Refuses a mission to aid the guild -4
Fails to share a new spell or bit of lore discovered -8
Fails to pay monthly dues -2

Titles, Benefits, and Duties: To gain a new rank and its
associated benefit, a member of the Order of the Ruby Throne

Affiliation
Rank Score Title: Benefits and Duties
0 3 or lower Page: None.
1 4-14 Squire: May buy, sell, and order custom magic items from the guild at internal guild rates. (add a 1st lvl spell to your list)*
2 15-22 Knight: May request information discovered by the Guild Eyes and Ears once per week if on a guild mission. (add a 2nd lvl spell to your list)*
3 23-39 Knight-Protector: Add a 3rd Level spell to your list
4 40 or higher Knight-General: May be granted access to specific guild secrets and libraries

*Adding a spell to your spell list will be handled differently depending on which class the PC is.
If the PC class has no spellcasting they don't learn spells.
If the PC class prepares spells from a spellbook (wizard)they add the spell to their book for free.
If the PC Class casts spells spontaneously from spells known (sorcerer/duskblade), the spell is add to the list from which the pc class can choose from. It is NOT added to automatically to spells known.
If the PC class casts spells spontaneously from a set list (beguiler/warmage) they add the spell to their set list.
The PC must be high enough to cast the spell level in question. The Guild will only offer certain spells (as determined by the DM).

Knights of the Ruby Throne:

The Knights of the Ruby Throne, an Order of knight magic using knights sponsored by the Order of the ruby Throne mage's Guild. The Mages guild occasionally needs help from those with professions outside of arcane spellcasters. Particularly those who can fight.

Criterion Affiliation Score Modifier
One-Time
Character level +1/2 levels
Base attack bonus of +5 or higher +1
Base attack bonus of +10 or higher +2
Knowledge (arcana) 5-9 ranks +1
Knowledge (arcana) 10 or more ranks +2
Can cast arcane spells 3rd level or higher +2
Can cast arcane spells 5th level or higher +2
Lacks ability to cast an arcane spell –2

Multiple Use
Each successful mission for the Mage's guild +2
Each successful campaign for the guild +4
Find and Bring a new piece of Magic or Lore to the guild +1
Divulges identities of members or other secrets of the guild –4
Embarrasses the guild -2
Refuses a mission to aid the guild -4

Titles, Benefits, and Duties: To gain a new rank and its
associated benefit, a member of The Knights of the Ruby Throne

Affiliation
Rank Score Title: Benefits and Duties
0 3 or lower Page: None.
1 4-14 Squire: May buy, sell, and order custom magic items from the guild at internal guild rates. (add a 1st lvl spell to your list)*
2 15-22 Knight: May request information discovered by the Guild Eyes and Ears once per week if on a guild mission. (add a 2nd lvl spell to your list)*
3 23-39 Knight-Protector: Phantom Steed* becomes available to their spell list (not specifically to spell known or spellbook)
4 40 or higher Knight-General: May be granted access to specific guild secrets and libraries

*Adding a spell to your spell list will be handled differently depending on which class the PC is.
If the PC class has no spellcasting they don't learn spells.
If the PC class prepares spells from a spellbook (wizard)they add the spell to their book for free.
If the PC Class casts spells spontaneously from spells known (sorcerer/duskblade), the spell is add to the list from which the pc class can choose from. It is NOT added to automatically to spells known.
If the PC class casts spells spontaneously from a set list (beguiler/warmage) they add the spell to their set list.
The PC must be high enough to cast the spell level in question. The Guild will only offer certain spells (as determined by the DM).

So, have I done this correctly? are they balanced?

daremetoidareyo
2015-11-13, 08:30 PM
Looks fine. The problem with affiliations is that all the PCs will want their own. That is plot threads from so many different angles. Constraining them becomes tiresome. I have just folded all of the adventuring guilds together into a single entity that offers whatever benefits of the PCs chosen affiliation, they just have different wings of the organisation. That way I can make a single cohesive unit as a plot direction. PCs on rival guilds always strains the believability of the PCs motivation.