PDA

View Full Version : What kind of terrains go into these rooms?

Verbannon
2015-11-13, 10:03 PM
I'm going to use this thread to ask about what all kind of terrain will likely be in a given room.

To start with, what would go in a farrier's workshop? (Horseshoe smith)

Also what exactly goes in a sitting room?

Broken Crown
2015-11-13, 11:30 PM
First, I'm not sure "terrain" is the word you're looking for here. Do you mean "furniture"?

Farrier's or other smithy:

To quote a blacksmith friend of mine, "Careful what you touch: Everything in here is either hot, heavy, or dirty. Probably all three."

A farrier's shop is going to have a forge, along with a large stock of coal to fuel it. There will be an anvil. There will be a workbench, and a selection of tools (hammers, tongs, files), most of which the farrier probably made. There may be a selection of pre-made horseshoes in various sizes, which will need some adjustment to fit each individual horse, as well as a large supply of horseshoe nails.

Sitting room:

Chairs, obviously.

More specifically, big, comfortable chairs: the kind you can settle into and read a book in for hours. Also probably sofas, a few end tables, reading lamps, footstools, a nice carpet, a fireplace, maybe some bookshelves and magazine racks. Paintings hung on the walls. Depending on the period, possibly ashtrays and pipe-stands.

Verbannon
2015-11-13, 11:45 PM
Thanks that helped a lot. Sorry I can't think of a generic term for 'stuff that goes into a tactical map' maybe map features?

Verbannon
2015-11-13, 11:51 PM
Any idea what kind of 'court' a medieval fantasy dungeon map generator would be referring to?

Broken Crown
2015-11-14, 04:58 AM
Any idea what kind of 'court' a medieval fantasy dungeon map generator would be referring to?

It's probably either a courtyard, an open space surrounded by buildings (a common feature of castles and palaces), or an audience chamber where a local ruler "holds court", receiving visitors and settling legal disputes. The latter probably has an elevated platform or dais at one end supporting the lord's throne; everyone else would generally be expected to stand.

It might also be a court in the modern sense, where legal decisions are made by a judge as a representative of the lord, rather than by the lord himself. In that case, it's probably furnished something like the modern version.

hymer
2015-11-14, 05:04 AM
Chairs, obviously.

I smiled. :smallbiggrin:

Verbannon
2015-11-14, 12:36 PM
Hmm... well it has an audience room and a throne room listed elsewhere. (Whats the difference between those I wonder) so it must mean courtyard. Thanks.

hymer
2015-11-14, 12:39 PM
Hmm... well it has an audience room and a throne room listed elsewhere. (Whats the difference between those I wonder) so it must mean courtyard. Thanks.

The audience room could well be more like a study, where you receive visitors. It doesn't have to have a throne. The throne room needs a throne installed, or all the other monarchs will be laughing at you sitting on the ground in full regalia. Call you schmutzy-pants. Hate it when that happens.

Verbannon
2015-11-14, 03:21 PM
What about a "solar' any idea what would be in that?

Broken Crown
2015-11-14, 04:10 PM
What about a "solar' any idea what would be in that?

It's basically a living area for the lord's family, and would be furnished appropriately:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_(room)

JustSomeGuy
2015-11-14, 06:08 PM
A smith's workshop would have little natural light, maybe a separate area with more light off around a corner, so as to better see the colour of the metal as it heats. Also, tubs of sand, water, oils etc. to quench/anneal (plunging hot metal into different materials cools it at different speeds, which affects the structure and mechanical properties it has). Very likely untold racks and piles of metals of different shapes sizes and sorts, stock and offcuts, which might well look a dissorganised vortex but probably has a very specific reasoning.
Also also, some kind of storage for various jigs, formers and patterns for old fabrications which can be retrieved at short notice, and likely with some minor fettling likely be useful to create something eerily close to that unique description you just gave. Shelving and containers full of consumable items - nuts, bolts, rivets, nails, pins, screws, clips, washers, chains, hasps and staples, hinges, fluxes, chalks, paints, straights angles and curves of all manner (for marking and comparing/measuring). Also also also,an area for general engineering with machinery and tools like vices, pillar and hand drills, bench grinders and angle grinders, guillotines and folders if they do a lot of sheet metal work, maybe a lathe if they do a lot of precise round fits, welding equipment perhaps, although now we are talking more modern metalworking facilities as you likely guessed. Finally, a stash of beers as payment for all the favours, odd jobs and life-saving last minute fixes.

Verbannon
2015-11-14, 07:25 PM
Wow, I wouldn't think a horseshoe smith alone would need all that. Thanks.

JustSomeGuy
2015-11-15, 03:41 AM
Maybe not a farrier, but a general metal smith - i used to be one. There's probably a whole bunch of other stuff handy if you're working with 'white' metals a lot (non ferrous, but mostly with that it's more intricate and fiddly little bits of copper/brass etc. as opposed to larger, sturdier fabricationsof iron, steels and oddly, aluminium alloys now too).