PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What alignment is this character? part 2

Zhentarim
2015-11-13, 11:27 PM
Backstory/Personality:

Elvis Wolfspeare knew love long ago. He was in love with a human girl named Aymee Whiteheart. They met when Aymee was on a quest in Kyonin, and found her way to a great library in the capital, where Elvis was the young half-elven bookkeeper and apprentice of the wizard who owned the library. They fell in love, and eventually married. The happy times would not last, however, because Aymee grew sick with a disease she contracted on and died before she could be healed by a cleric. To make matters worse, before Elvis could find a cleric powerful enough to ressurect her, her body was stolen by a roaming necromancer posing as a cleric and she was made undead. He had to slay the only person he ever loved. This loss unsettled him, and when he saw his beloved's much younger relatives bury her in soil, this made it hard for him to prepare earth spells. He chose to distract himself by focusing on freedom and air magic. He came to resent laws which restrict his personal freedom and he only cares about his own studies, gaining wealth, and distracting himself with fun experiences. He feels this way because he views these activities as life-affirming, and laws and principles just get in the way of having a good time. Also, after being hurt so deeply by the events surrounding Aymee's death, he doesn't care much about the welfare of others, but he still will try not to hurt people if it can be helped because he values his own freedom above all else, and he resents being tied down like a "corpse". Besides, hurting others runs the risk of incarceration in most countries, and Elvis doesn't get much pleasure doing it. Thus, he learned it's generally not worth the risk to be too hurtful. He has the most fun getting intoxicated with drugs and alcohol and performing small, random acts of kindness towards strangers, even if these acts are sometimes unconventional. He prays to Pharasma regularly because of his loss, and hopes Aymee was judged favorably. Ultimately, though, his heart went to Cayden Cailean, and he distracted himself from his grief with adventures. He's been imprisoned once or twice by "much-too-serious" local officials, but as Elvis has grown in power as an Air Wizard, he's always been able to get the guards set him free with some charms he keeps on hand, or, at worst, knock them out with storm magic and escape. Not long after Elvis began adventuring, his tastes became more and more bizarre and inscrutable. At first, he mainly took quests for profit, but he eventually started running errands for people sometimes just because it sounded fun or offered some new and distracting experience that drew his thoughts away from Aymee. Over time, he also became very addicted to psychotropic and hallucinogenic fungi. He decorated his spellbook's cover with a wash of rainbow colors and began to dress in tie-died robes. He is very bohemian in personality and dabbles in the creative arts in addition to his more focused arcane studies. In his efforts to be "free as the wind," he's come to resent all authorities, especially those who push folk around. As a result, he's often sold magical scrolls to various freedom fighters, since he both understands their love of freedom and because he loves to make a quick buck. That said, he resents authority even if it is well-intentioned, just not as much. He sees everybody as more-or-less equal and ignores social rules completely. While Elvis is definitely not a "joiner," he'll hang out with an adventuring party if he feels there is fun to be had and may even be helpful if his cravings align with whatever they want to do. Expect him to spend a decent amount of time alone (when the party is in town) exploring and doing his own thing. During his travels, Elvis heard there was an especially strong fungus growing around carrion hill that gave a better high than even Polypurpose Panacea. As a result, he made his way over to the town post-haste. He also was thrilled to think he may get to see something totally spooky while he was there. With his love of learning all he can about everything, preferably through direct experience, his mind was quickly filled with questions he could answer if he went to Carrion Hill to investigate. In addition, rumor has it that their is a pretty good brewery in Carrion Hill. All in all, a paradise for a carefree half-elven Caydenite. Besides, Elvis could totally go for an extra-strong brew mixed with potent shrooms!

Zhentarim
2015-11-14, 12:17 AM
I figure chaotic, but I'm unsure beyond that.

OldTrees1
2015-11-14, 12:35 AM
There are roughly 4 alignment significant details* in that block of text(normal for a developed character) and none of them are sufficient to declare an alignment over presuming insufficient information(since 4 details is likely a rather small fraction compared to the unmentioned details).

*I counted
Not liking Laws as Non-Lawful
Not caring about others as Non-Good
Not wanting to hurt others as mildly Non-Evil
Love of freedom as mildly Chaotic

So if my life depended on it, I would guess CN. But that verdict could change by the addition of a single additional sentence.

Zhentarim
2015-11-14, 08:10 AM
There are roughly 4 alignment significant details* in that block of text(normal for a developed character) and none of them are sufficient to declare an alignment over presuming insufficient information(since 4 details is likely a rather small fraction compared to the unmentioned details).

*I counted
Not liking Laws as Non-Lawful
Not caring about others as Non-Good
Not wanting to hurt others as mildly Non-Evil
Love of freedom as mildly Chaotic

So if my life depended on it, I would guess CN. But that verdict could change by the addition of a single additional sentence.
I've decided to give him a soft spot for kids, meaning he might spend a little more time helping them than older people, but he is predominantly really concerned with just having fun and preserving his own freedom. Any tips on how to make him more chaotic without going chaotic stupid?

OldTrees1
2015-11-14, 08:20 AM
I've decided to give him a soft spot for kids, meaning he might spend a little more time helping them than older people, but he is predominantly really concerned with just having fun and preserving his own freedom. Any tips on how to make him more chaotic without going chaotic stupid?

Well, I would suggest reading various alignment handbooks. However in the end it boils down to playing your character in a manner that is consistent with(doesn't need to be exemplary of) Chaotic. Consistent really is the key word, since alignment is descriptive rather than prescriptive, it is determined by describing your actions in bulk. This means that each of those 9 alignments is a rather large area full of characters with mixed and complex sets of alignment relevant actions.

Avoid Chaotic Stupid by making a character that happens to be Chaotic rather than a Chaotic that happens to be a character.

Zhentarim
2015-11-14, 09:09 AM
While Elvis is definitely not a "joiner," but he'll hang out with an adventuring party if he feels there is fun to be had and may even be helpful if his cravings align with whatever they want to do. Expect him to spend a decent amount of time alone (when the party is in town) exploring and doing his own thing.

Zhentarim
2015-11-14, 01:56 PM
I think I've fully fleshed him out

Zhentarim
2015-11-14, 11:43 PM
Anybody else want to weigh in?

Jergmo
2015-11-15, 01:22 AM
Chaotic Neutral sounds good. Chaotic Neutral doesn't mean crazy or stupid.

I look at alignment simply as:
Good is primarily concerned about everyone, and will put them before self.
Neutral is primarily concerned about self and close friends, loved ones, and maybe neighbors.
Evil is primarily concerned about self and *maybe* they have loved ones.

Lawful is primarily concerned about with the preservation of society or a personal code as a means to an end.
Neutral is primarily concerned about a balance between the preservation of society and the freedoms of individuals.
Chaotic is primarily concerned about freedom.

So in the case of a Chaotic Good, Neutral, or Evil individual, their concerns are everyone's personal freedoms and will strive to uphold it (fighting slavers, maybe, or oppressive officials), preserving their own personal freedoms but not wanting to step on anyone else's, and then... doing whatever they want, and harming anyone that tries to get in their way.

Zhentarim
2015-11-15, 08:48 AM
Chaotic Neutral sounds good. Chaotic Neutral doesn't mean crazy or stupid.

I look at alignment simply as:
Good is primarily concerned about everyone, and will put them before self.
Neutral is primarily concerned about self and close friends, loved ones, and maybe neighbors.
Evil is primarily concerned about self and *maybe* they have loved ones.

Lawful is primarily concerned about with the preservation of society or a personal code as a means to an end.
Neutral is primarily concerned about a balance between the preservation of society and the freedoms of individuals.
Chaotic is primarily concerned about freedom.

So in the case of a Chaotic Good, Neutral, or Evil individual, their concerns are everyone's personal freedoms and will strive to uphold it (fighting slavers, maybe, or oppressive officials), preserving their own personal freedoms but not wanting to step on anyone else's, and then... doing whatever they want, and harming anyone that tries to get in their way.

CG sounds overly idealistic and impractical since keeping your mouth shut when **** doesn't concern you is the best way to stay free, CE sounds impractical because it is bound to backfire eventually and have you lynched. The non-chaotic alignments sound alien to me, except my mother (who is cruel and legalistic with everybody but me, as she is slightly more lenient with me) may be LE.