PDA

View Full Version : I found out what zombies are weak against [spell]

Dhavaer
2007-05-31, 03:44 AM
Point Blank Annihilation (http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=040417)
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5, Warmage 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 full round action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Save: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

The creature touched takes 2d4 damage per caster level (max 30d4). This damage is untyped, as it is pure destructive force.

Ninja Chocobo
2007-05-31, 04:05 AM
It looked overpowered until I remembered it was a blasty spell.
Funny, too.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-05-31, 04:56 AM
I dig. Very cool.

Korias
2007-05-31, 05:32 AM
Its OK, but be a bit more descriptive about the damage. If the Damage is untyped, its a [FORCE] effect, right?

Dhavaer
2007-05-31, 05:56 AM
Its OK, but be a bit more descriptive about the damage. If the Damage is untyped, its a [FORCE] effect, right?

No, if damage is untyped, it doesn't have a type descriptor. Because it's untyped. A [force] effect would deal force damage.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-31, 09:16 AM
If it's an area affect it should allow a reflex save. Otherwise it should have a target of a single creature.

Note that 5 ft. range is effectively the same as range: touch

With the Full round action casting, it isn't unbalanced, just over the top. Since getting into melee range is a bad idea when you can cast 5th level spells this is the shocking grasp of high level damage spells.

Reminds me of some of the close range use of spells in the manga Bleach.

XBobbis
2007-05-31, 09:47 AM
I don't like this for one reason; I've always gone by "If the PCs want to use it, it's fair game for the DM."

With no save, it will kill almost any PC of equal level. (Average 9 damage per level? Pretty much gauranteed to kill everything less then a d10 hit die.)

Edit: To closet skeleton, but without touch range, a spell can't be used through spectral hand or reach spell. It means they -have- to close into melee range; but even then, whoever they get close to better kill them before they can get it off, or they're dead.

RationalGoblin
2007-05-31, 09:52 AM
Dhavaer, you read 8-bit Theatre, don't you? (On a side note, I got the name right on the first try!)

I can see a cleric buffing the sorcerer/wizard, (so he/she can survive) and sending the sorcerer/wizard right next to the monster or such.

Khantalas
2007-05-31, 10:16 AM
Actually, it affects everyone in 5 ft.. It says 5 ft. cube in area. So it isn't touch range.

Captain van der Decken
2007-05-31, 10:31 AM
Looks pretty nice.

Dhavaer, you read 8-bit Theatre, don't you? (On a side note, I got the name right on the first try!)

8-bit(and the exact comic) being linked to in the first post 'an all...

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-31, 10:36 AM
Actually, it affects everyone in 5 ft.. It says 5 ft. cube in area. So it isn't touch range.

A 5 ft. cube is a cube 5 feet high and 5 ft. wide. That's the same as the ammount of space taken up by a medium or small sized creature.

Though for Grappling it does make a differance.

I only said it was affectively touch range, which it is.

ZeroNumerous
2007-05-31, 10:41 AM
... One question: Does it affect you, since you specified everyone in the cube?

AmberVael
2007-05-31, 10:42 AM
Effectively, but it will also destroy unattended items, and nasty little creatures with the swarm fighting feat. :smalltongue:
"Aha! We will team up and get him!"
*hops into same square with three other kobolds*
Point Blank Annihilation.
"AAHHH!"
*much death*

NullAshton
2007-05-31, 10:53 AM
What if someone maximizes this?

240 damage, with no save. 8th level spell, but vaporizes one PC of your choice at 15th level. Would you, as a PC, like to be subjected to 240 damage with no save, most likely killing you?

Dhavaer
2007-05-31, 02:49 PM
... One question: Does it affect you, since you specified everyone in the cube?

Why would anyone cast this in their own space? It'd be suicide, more or less. But yes, you could use it to blow yourself up, if you were so inclined.

Reinboom
2007-05-31, 03:46 PM
Level 15, Maximize as previously stated.
240 damage. untyped, no save. Mass target bonuses vs creatures that fit in multiple squares at once.
Not direct targeting, and thus overcomes all triggers or conditions that would call for it. Not a death effect. Is massive damage so causes DC 15 fort or die, notable against low-fort creatures who were hoping to rely on Indomitability.

There is a point where even a blasting spell can become too good.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-31, 03:53 PM
Maximized, empowered point blank annihilation, coupled with Arcane Thesis, means I can deal ~360 damage for a 9th slot.

Widened point blank annihilation lets me smear a 10' area.

Might be a bit strong.

Cybren
2007-05-31, 04:06 PM
so a weaker version of BMs hadoken?
Why not allow it to have greater range but drop off the damage a whooooole lot as it goes further out

Hario
2007-05-31, 04:07 PM
you could always use that metamagic feat from the BoED that makes it a (Good) and then walk into the BBEG square as a tiny creature and blow them up

AmberVael
2007-05-31, 04:08 PM
Maximized, empowered point blank annihilation, coupled with Arcane Thesis, means I can deal ~360 damage for a 9th slot.

Might be a bit strong.
Or you could ditch the silly Widened spell and go for Sculpt Spell instead.
Woot! FOUR 10ft areas!

Dhavaer
2007-05-31, 04:11 PM
Hmm... How do you feel about 2d4/level?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-31, 04:21 PM
I'd venture 2d6/level, but make it a touch attack.

AmberVael
2007-05-31, 04:23 PM
I'd venture 2d6/level, but make it a touch attack.

I'd agree with that. It'd probably be the best change.

Reinboom
2007-05-31, 04:24 PM
I would recommend it be a level higher as well.

Dhavaer
2007-05-31, 04:27 PM
Editted to touch and 2d4.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-31, 05:09 PM

Might be a bit strong.

So much for good intentions...

JackMage666
2007-05-31, 09:40 PM
Seems weaker than Disintegrate, still, and that's a touch attack at range. The only difference is that it offers a Fort save. I dunno, compared to that, it seems balanced to me, especially because the caster's rushing into battle (IE not the best place for a caster). Full-round action isn't much of a problem, due to the fact you can hold a touch attack indefinately, but is nice since you can't do it as easily on the fly. Seems OK to me, but I say that in hopes your players don't abuse anything.

Knowing you like to Modern homebrew, I assume to make this so you can convert it to Modern, correct?

Korias
2007-05-31, 09:56 PM
I see this spell as being the one where you can just cut out small portions of the fabric of reality with that much damage. Seriously. Just touch the cube and then everything DIES if you maximized it correctly.

Shoyliguad
2007-05-31, 10:10 PM
Wow I'm amazed you missed this, take your hawk familiar who can fly quickly, deliver touch spell, with a small sudden maximize you get a bit to much damage for a simple combo.

JackMage666
2007-05-31, 10:20 PM
Wow I'm amazed you missed this, take your hawk familiar who can fly quickly, deliver touch spell, with a small sudden maximize you get a bit to much damage for a simple combo.

I never send my frail familiar into combat. That's like saying to the DM "Kill it, make me lose EXP, and I get to lose a class ability for a year."

Yeah, I don't normally take a familiar, for this reason.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-06-01, 01:50 AM
As written currently, isn't this just an inferior Disintegrate? One perhaps balanced for fifth level, and available to Clerics.

Ah, wait, no save. So, point-blank Disintegrate with no save. Still requires a Full-round cast and melee range, does somewhat less damage and caps lower. I'd take it as a dedicated blaster, or (at an exaggeratedly high level) as an armored gish, but probably not otherwise. It may be overpowered. I'd just wait a couple levels for Disintegrate, and aim it at a low-Fort enemy. From far away.

Dhavaer
2007-06-01, 02:29 AM
One perhaps balanced for fifth level, and available to Clerics.

It's not available to clerics. Just Sorcerers, Warmages and Wizards.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-06-01, 02:37 AM
Apparently, I never learned to read.

Captain van der Decken
2007-06-01, 02:38 AM
A familiar may be a bad idea, but that doesn't stop you using Spectral Hand with it.

Matthew
2007-06-11, 01:49 PM
So, what's the reasoning behind capping this? Shouldn't it just go all the way to 40D4?