PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Horizon Walker, a class for 5e WIP

PoeticDwarf
2015-11-14, 02:52 AM
Horizon Walker

The Elf stops, he's exhausted but he knows he has escaped. He has been running for hours, but finally he's free.
Suddenly, a Dwarf appears before the Elf, holding a glowing axe, attacking before the Elf can react.

The Human in black leather has no chance, the fist of the Orc goes straigth to him, but in the air it stops, the Human concentrates and slowly the fist moves back.
The Human becomes invisible, and the last thing the Orc sees is the arrow in his knee, the Human standing 50ft further, holding a bow the orc hasn't seen before.

The Halfling is surrounded by Duergar when he grows to a huge half-dragon, the poisoning wave of acid kills most of them,
the others turn invisble and try to run away, but at least half won't see their friends again.

Horizon Walkers are warriors, mostly from other dimension, who use illusion, their mind, weapons and teleportation to kill their foes.
Their defense is their mobility, their weapons are everything they have with them.

Level and Features
1: Favourite plane, Walker's origin
2: Fighting style, Spellcasting
3: Shifty movement
4: ASI
5: Extra attack
6: Teleporting strikes, additional Favourite plane
7: Origin feature
8: ASI
9: -
10: Eyes of the Transculent, additional Favourite plane
11: Otherwordly slam
12: ASI
13: -
14: Origin feature, Favourite plane improvement
15: Interdimensional bubble
16: ASI
17: -
18: Open True Portal
19: ASI
20: Origin feature

Hit points
Hit dice 1d8 per Horizon Walker level
Hit points at first level 8 + con. mod. at first level
Hit points at higher levels 1d8 (or 5) + con. mod. for each level after first level

Proficiencies
Armor light armor, medium armor, shields
Weapons Simple weapons, martial weapons
Tools none

Saving Throws Strength, Wisdom
Skills Choose two from: Arcana, Athletics, Insight, Perception, Religion, Sleigth of hand, Stealth

First level
Favourite plane Choose one plane, you can choose between the outer planes, the far realms, one of the elemental planes, the feywild or the shadowfell.
While on that plane, you gain the same bonusses a ranger gets in its favourite terrain. You can choose a new one on the levels 6 and 10

Walker's origin Choose one plane, often the plane you come from, your subclass (origin) you get is related to that plane.
Fire, water, air or earth: Elemental warrior
Acheron or Ysgard: Undying warrior
Arborea, Pandenomium: Raging warrior
Mount Celestia, Elyssium, Bytopia, Arcadia: Righteous warrior
Feywild, Bytopia, Beastlands: Hunting warrior
Shadowfell: Shadow warrior
The Abyss, Hades, Baator, Gehenna, Carceri: Styx(dragon) warrior
Far Realms: Farworld warrior
Mechanus:
Limbo:

Second level
Fighting style Choose between one of: Two weapon figthing, Dueling, Armored, Protection

Spellcasting You have spellcasting as a ranger, the only difference is your spellist, and that you can learn an amount of spells equal to half your Horizon Walker level + wisdom mod

Third level
Shifty movement Your speed increases by 10ft, and you can take the disengage action as a bonus action

Fourth level
Ability score improvement as other classes

Fifth level
Extra attack as other classes

Sixth level
Teleporting strikes You learn misty step, and it doesn't count against the number of spells you know. When you cast misty step, the next attack you make on that same turn has advantage. Misty step, however, still costs a spell slot as normal.

Tenth level
Eyes of the Transculent You gain truesigth out a reach of 10ft, but you can see 60ft in the ethereal plane.

Eleventh level
Otherwordly slam When you cast misty step and use your teleporting strikes feature, you have advantage on all attack rolls you make that turn, but if you do so, you get 1d6 force damage, 1d6 more every time you do it again.

Fourteenth level
Favourite plane improvement This level you don't get an extra plane, but once per long rest you can cast plane shift (only verbal components) teleporting to one of your favourite planes.

Fifteenth level
Interdimensional bubble You can change the air and ground within 30ft around you as a bonus action for one minute (concentration as on a spell) an amount equal to your wisdom mod. per day. When you change everything this way, the ground around you counts as your favourite plane, and casting misty step here costs just a first level spell slot. Everything within 30ft of you counts now as a new one, one of your favored planes. This is for the rules of teleportation, spells as banishment etc.

Eighteenth level
Open True Portal You can cast gate, without components except verbal, if you do so, you can't cast it for a week.

PoeticDwarf
2015-11-14, 02:53 AM
Elemental warrior

First level

Additional spells
Whenever you choose a spell, you can also choose from the following:
Level Spell
2 Earth tremor
5 Scorching ray
9 Shatter
13 Ice storm
17 Conjure elemental

Elemental Blade
Once per day you can cast elemental weapon on level 3, when you do so you can choose to deal 2d4 extra damage and make it a +2 weapon, but then you have 50% chance to get a level of exhaustion after the spell ends.
If the spell ends because you lose concentration, you also get a level of exhaustion.

Level 7
Stone defense You can as a bonus action reduce your speed with 10ft, and increase your AC with 1, you can have more than +1 AC this way with a maximum of your constitution mod (or till your speed is 5ft or lower). Also, you can replace your proficiency in wisdom saves to a proficiency in con. saves, if you are prof. in wisdom saves.

Level 14
A Storm of Ice and Fire When you cast ice storm, everyone who fails the save gets 2d8 fire damage at the beginning of its next turn, has to make a strength save or fall prone, and has to make a strength save or be pushed up to 20ft away from you.

Level 20
Elemental aura Once per day you can change form (looking like the way you want to fluff it). This lasts for one minute and you have to keep concentration (as on a spell). Everytime someone hits you with a melee attack while in this form, gets 1d12 fire damage, everyone within 30ft of you you choose must make at the beginning of their turn a DC 15 strength save or fall prone. If you hit someone with a melee weapon attack their speed decreases with 10ft and you are immune to ligthing and thunder damage while shaped this way.

Undying warrior

First level

Additional spells
Whenever you choose a spell you can also choose between the following

Level Spell
2 False life
9 Revify
17 Raise dead

Killing nature When you kill an enemy of a CR of at least 1/8 (rounded down) your level. You gain temporary hit points equal to 1d6 + your wisdom modifier

Level 7
BloodBlade When you gain temporary hit points from your lv. 1 or lv. 14 feature, you may choose to regen half that health

Level 14
Bloodlust From now, if you gain temporary hp because your level 1 feature. You gain three times the temporary hit points you would normally get and all your weapon attacks deal 1d4 extra damage next turn.

Level 20
Superb killer Once per day, as a bonus action, for one minute (with concentration) AND only if you last turn killed an enemy you can be surrounded by red ligth, when you are killed you come back as with the revify spell, you heal maximum from
all healing and you gain 30 temporary hit points when you kill someone

Raging warrior

First level

Additional spells
Whenever you may choose a spell, you can also choose one of these
Level Spell

Madness of the Slayer You can once per day go in a rage like the level one barbarian can

Level 7
This isn't even my final form When you go in a rage, you get the level 3 feature of a berserker or one of the totembarbarians

Level 14
Revenge When you are hit by an weapon attack, you can use your reaction to make one weapon attack against that creature. If you do so, you have disadvantage on attack rolls against creatures other than that one on your next turn.

Level 20
This is my final form Once per day, if you didn't rage yet. You can go in a special rage, it is like a normal rage, but you get the level 3/6/10/14 feature of a totem barbarian or of a berserker while raging in this way. The rage lasts for one minute and after that you can't go in a rage for the rest of the day.

Hunting warrior

First level

Additional spells
Whenever you may choose a spell, you can also choose one of these
Level Spell
2 Hunter's mark
5 Pass without trace
9 Plant growth
13 Locate creature
17 Swift quiver

Hunter's apprentice You can choose the archery figthing style next level, also, you can't get disadvantage on stealth because of armor.

Level 7
Scout's style You can take the hide and the dash action as a bonus action. You can't be surprised and if you take the dodge action you can take it next turn as a bonus action.

Level 14
Natural weapon You can use bows, crossbows and slings as a melee weapon. They are finesse and they deal 1d10 bludeoning damage (two handed). You can also use arrows or sling bullets as a weapon. They are finesse and deal 1d6 damage on a hit (one handed) for you.

Level 20
Ultimate Hunter Once per day you can for one minute become faster (you have to hold concentration). Your speed increases by 20ft, you have advantage on stealth checks and if you use hunter's mark or score a crit you deal an additional 1d6 force damage on a hit.

Righteous warrior

First level

Additional spells When you choose a spell, you may also choose one of these
level spell
2 Bless
5 Gentle repose
9 Revify
13 Aura of life
17 Hallow

Pure Blade As a bonus action your weapon can glow, brigth light out a range of 10ft and dim light 20ft

Level 7
This isn't the fight you are looking for When you are knocked unconsious (1/rest) you immediately regen health equal to 1d10+horizon walker level

Level 14
Not my first kill When your weapon glows, every creature you hit with it gets an extra 1d10 force damage, this damage doesn't apply when you attack someone who is surprised

Level 20
Aura of the Chosen Once per day you begin to glow for one minute (bright light 60ft), you have to keep concentration on it but while you have concentration, you and your allies in the light deal on each hit an extra 1d4 force damage, also is everyone (except you) in this light vurneable to radiant damage, the light dispels magical darkness of level 5 and lower.

Shadow warrior

Styx(dragon) warrior

Farworld warrior

PoeticDwarf
2015-11-14, 02:54 AM
Alarm
Charm person
Color spray
Command
Detect Evil and Good
Detect Magic
Ensnaring strike
Heroism
Jump
Longstrider
Protection from evil and good
Shield of Faith
Silent Image

Blur
Darkvision
Locate Object
Invisibility
Levitate
Nystul's Magic Aura
Phantasmal Force
Magic Weapon
Mirrior Image
Misty Step
See invisibility
Silence

Blink
Clairvoyance
Dispel Magic
Elemental weapon
Gaseous Form
Haste
Major Image
Magic Circle
Slow
Tongues

Banishment
Confusion
Dimension door
Great Invisibility
Polymorph
Wall of fire

Banishing Smite
Mislead
Modify Memory
Telekinese
Teleportation Circle
Wall of Force

ImSAMazing
2015-11-14, 05:16 AM
Ehh, if you end up getting into the Far Realm, you are dead. All portals are one-way, so that little favourite terrain bonus doesn't really help.

PoeticDwarf
2015-11-14, 05:52 AM
Ehh, if you end up getting into the Far Realm, you are dead. All portals are one-way, so that little favourite terrain bonus doesn't really help.

I don't see the problem, it is like the spell witch bolt or acid arrow. Next to that, we already talked about this. Could you please give real feedback...

Someone with real feedback please? Is this class unique enough? Is it balanced? What do you think?

PoeticDwarf
2015-11-14, 06:38 AM
Finished 4 more origins, I'm really proud of them, anyway wants to give feedback?

M Placeholder
2015-11-14, 11:24 AM
This would be great for Planescape. Can't help you with the balance (yet...) but can help with ideas.

About the Walkers Origins, I would split the Limbo and the Shadow plane ones, and have a Chaos Warrior for the Limbo Origin and Shadow Warriror for the, well, Shadow origin.

Others I would have would be an Order Warrior for Mechanus - Considering that Mechanus represents order and just order and rightousness is not a concern, then the Righteous Warrior theme doesn't really fit. And I would also separate the Lawful from the Chaotic for other Warrior themes - The battle between law and order is just as important as good and evil. You could also do a theme for The Outlands.

I would also have something for the Astral and the Ethereal Planes. The Githyanki are natives to the Astral, and there are Natives of the Ethereal Plane (The Nathri).

I really like this class idea.

PoeticDwarf
2015-11-14, 12:09 PM
This would be great for Planescape. Can't help you with the balance (yet...) but can help with ideas.

About the Walkers Origins, I would split the Limbo and the Shadow plane ones, and have a Chaos Warrior for the Limbo Origin and Shadow Warriror for the, well, Shadow origin.

Others I would have would be an Order Warrior for Mechanus - Considering that Mechanus represents order and just order and rightousness is not a concern, then the Righteous Warrior theme doesn't really fit. And I would also separate the Lawful from the Chaotic for other Warrior themes - The battle between law and order is just as important as good and evil. You could also do a theme for The Outlands.

I would also have something for the Astral and the Ethereal Planes. The Githyanki are natives to the Astral, and there are Natives of the Ethereal Plane (The Nathri).

I really like this class idea.
Thank you for the feedback, I was thinking about it and my brother also said it. I will add a new origin for mechanus and one for limbo. I really don't know much about the astral and the ethereal plane. So I think I wouldn't be able to make a fitting origing. Maybe something for later ikr.

Also I really like your gnome avatar!!!

Inevitability
2015-11-14, 04:29 PM
Let's take a look...

I'd remove the reference to a ranger's favored terrain and write the bonuses down yourself. Less having to open the PHB every time you want to know your classes' abilities.

I personally find the grouping together of the planes a little arbitrary. What does Limbo have to do with shadows? In what way is Mechanus 'righteous'? Why is Arborea associated with hunting? Why are Acheron and Ysgard, two planes on opposite sides of the alignment spectrum, mechanically equal? A more logical division seems:

Air
Earth
Fire
Water
Feywild
Shadowfell
Good-aligned plane
Lawful-aligned plane
Chaotic-aligned plane
Evil-aligned plane
Outlands (maybe?)
Ethereal plane
Astral plane
Far Realms?

Again with the fighting styles, just write them down here. No use in having to look your class features up all the time.

'You have spellcasting as a ranger'. No, no, no. This is a separate class, not some weird subclass or variant. If it has spellcasting, explain what kind of spellcasting. In detail, of course.

Ability Score Improvements and Extra Attack are 'as other classes'. Just. Write. Down. The. Class. Feature.

Explain Interdimensional Bubble. What does it do? Does it just make the area count as Plane X for the purpose of Banishment? Am I still considered to be on the plane I 'really' occupy? Can I cast a teleportation spell in the bubble to move somewhere on the other plane? Do planar traits take effect there?

Several things refer to 'your favorite plane'. If you have more, do you get to choose? Shouldn't it be your favored plane?

Stone Defense: you increase your AC by one, not with one.

The whole elemental subclass seems too fire-focused, to be honest. Most abilities are purely fire-focused, there's a little water and earth thrown in, and only a single air spell. Why don't you just make four separate subclasses?

Undying warrior's Superb Killer is a little difficult to understand. If I get killed, then immediately return, am I still under the effect of Superb Killer? Does it render someone nearly invulnerable for a single round?

'like a level one barbarian can'. *sigh* I hate to say it again, but some people don't have the patience to look up their class features every other round.

Can you choose a different class feature every time you rage with This Isn't Even My Final Form? Because in that case, this becomes a stupidly good ability.

I am not too sure about an entire subclass whose class features all amount to 'look up the barbarian's subclasses and take the good stuff from there'.

Hunter's Apprentice is a bit weird. It basically means you gain a class feature a single level early? What if I take a single level of Horizon Walker, multiclass into Barbarian, then take Horizon Walker levels again? Do I get to keep Archery? How do you explain from a story perspective that someone is suddenly 10% worse at shooting a bow?

Righteous Warrior: I dislike having features based on alignment. And what constitutes 'because of an evil creature'? If I get knocked out by an evil druid's summoned beast, does that count? If a vampire dominates a non-evil person to kill you, do you regain HP? How about falling down a pit because someone pushed you? How about damage from a fire started by an evil person? Really, just turn it into 'when you are knocked unconscious'. Similarily, the extra force damage should just apply to all creatures. I recommend changing it to Radiant, though. (something to think about; you just gave someone a very effective evil-detection mechanism. just punch someone and if they take a lot of damage they must be evil)

Spells look good, though you'll have to explain some of the spells on it to me. I mean; Modify Memory? Magic Aura? Confusion?

PoeticDwarf
2015-11-15, 02:11 AM
Let's take a look...

I'd remove the reference to a ranger's favored terrain and write the bonuses down yourself. Less having to open the PHB every time you want to know your classes' abilities.

I was going to do that anyway, but first I want to write down the whole class, I'm not always behind my PC/laptop.

I personally find the grouping together of the planes a little arbitrary. What does Limbo have to do with shadows? In what way is Mechanus 'righteous'? Why is Arborea associated with hunting? Why are Acheron and Ysgard, two planes on opposite sides of the alignment spectrum, mechanically equal? A more logical division seems:

Archeron and Ysgard are about the same theme, I don't see the problem. Although I see Mechanus as righteous, I was going to change that, like I'm going to change Limbo (as Dark Sun Gnome said). I never said Arborea is associated with hunting, Arborea is the RAGING warrior not the HUNTING one. Your system sounds maybe more logical, but then the planes don't really have personal things (like hunting or raging) but just, you are good and you like radiant or something.

Air
Earth
Fire
Water
Feywild
Shadowfell
Good-aligned plane
Lawful-aligned plane
Chaotic-aligned plane
Evil-aligned plane
Outlands (maybe?)
Ethereal plane
Astral plane
Far Realms?

Again with the fighting styles, just write them down here. No use in having to look your class features up all the time.

As I said, going to change it

'You have spellcasting as a ranger'. No, no, no. This is a separate class, not some weird subclass or variant. If it has spellcasting, explain what kind of spellcasting. In detail, of course.

again

Ability Score Improvements and Extra Attack are 'as other classes'. Just. Write. Down. The. Class. Feature.

again

Explain Interdimensional Bubble. What does it do? Does it just make the area count as Plane X for the purpose of Banishment? Am I still considered to be on the plane I 'really' occupy? Can I cast a teleportation spell in the bubble to move somewhere on the other plane? Do planar traits take effect there?

Changing it now, you are right, this isn't clear at all

Several things refer to 'your favorite plane'. If you have more, do you get to choose? Shouldn't it be your favored plane?

This is a grammar question, and I'm not really an English pro with just 1,25 English at school, I think it is clear enough, and yes, it should be favored
Stone Defense: you increase your AC by one, not with one.

by or with, again a grammar thing where, although you are completely right, I'm not going to change anything.The whole elemental subclass seems too fire-focused, to be honest. Most abilities are purely fire-focused, there's a little water and earth thrown in, and only a single air spell. Why don't you just make four separate subclasses?

Undying warrior's Superb Killer is a little difficult to understand. If I get killed, then immediately return, am I still under the effect of Superb Killer? Does it render someone nearly invulnerable for a single round?

Nope, I think it is clear enough, if you die in this minute you come immediate back to life, that's why you then don't lose concentration. So if you die again, it just happens again.

'like a level one barbarian can'. *sigh* I hate to say it again, but some people don't have the patience to look up their class features every other round.
Going to change it, like I said, already wanted to

Can you choose a different class feature every time you rage with This Isn't Even My Final Form? Because in that case, this beco
mes a stupidly good ability.
You can't just rage once per day, and that are like all the features of this subclass, so yeah, you can change it everytime
I am not too sure about an entire subclass whose class features all amount to 'look up the barbarian's subclasses and take the good stuff from there'.
It is once per day a rage, but I understand you, I will change it after I have changed the extra attacks, ASI, and everything:smallwink:

Hunter's Apprentice is a bit weird. It basically means you gain a class feature a single level early? What if I take a single level of Horizon Walker, multiclass into Barbarian, then take Horizon Walker levels again? Do I get to keep Archery? How do you explain from a story perspective that someone is suddenly 10% worse at shooting a bow?

You're right, I could add that you can next level take the archery fighting style, but then the Hunter doesn't get something he can use on first level.

Righteous Warrior: I dislike having features based on alignment. And what constitutes 'because of an evil creature'? If I get knocked out by an evil druid's summoned beast, does that count? If a vampire dominates a non-evil person to kill you, do you regain HP? How about falling down a pit because someone pushed you? How about damage from a fire started by an evil person? Really, just turn it into 'when you are knocked unconscious'. Similarily, the extra force damage should just apply to all creatures. I recommend changing it to Radiant, though. (something to think about; you just gave someone a very effective evil-detection mechanism. just punch someone and if they take a lot of damage they must be evil)

I will put those evil things away, but the damage stays force, I don't like the "good guys use radiant" idea...

Spells look good, though you'll have to explain some of the spells on it to me. I mean; Modify Memory? Magic Aura? Confusion?

I think they are fitting in the fluff personally

M Placeholder
2015-11-15, 03:25 AM
The raging warrior theme for both Acheron and Ysgard is out of place actually, considering the different allignments and how they protray conflict

Acheron is all about regimented conflict, where law is dominant and its about the crushing of individuality in persuit of organisation and order, and evil is a by product of the constant wars on the metal cubes. Acheron is about the futility of war and how it dulls the senses and numbs.

Ysgard is about freedom and individual glory first, fighting every day and drinking every night, then doing it again. Its about high passion.

The two planes are about different themes, and should really be treated as such.

PoeticDwarf
2015-11-15, 03:37 AM
The raging warrior theme for both Acheron and Ysgard is out of place actually, considering the different allignments and how they protray conflict

Acheron is all about regimented conflict, where law is dominant and its about the crushing of individuality in persuit of organisation and order, and evil is a by product of the constant wars on the metal cubes. Acheron is about the futility of war and how it dulls the senses and numbs.

Ysgard is about freedom and individual glory first, fighting every day and drinking every night, then doing it again. Its about high passion.

The two planes are about different themes, and should really be treated as such.

Euhm Acheron and Ysgard don't have the raging warrior...
They both have just many wars, and that's why I have the undying for them (they are both about trying to kill and staying alive).

M Placeholder
2015-11-15, 03:56 AM
Euhm Acheron and Ysgard don't have the raging warrior...
They both have just many wars, and that's why I have the undying for them (they are both about trying to kill and staying alive).

Ysgard doesn't have wars - it has battles, fights, and one on one combat, and the petitioners that die in them come back to life the next day. They are not too concerned about dying - it just means that they won't be able to get plastered that night:smallsmile:

Acheron has wars. Wars between the Orc and Hobgoblin powers, and is all about regimented conflict. Its order above life and the pertitioners there are prepared to lay down their lives for it. Or someone elses if its possible, but they will have little compuction about laying down theirs. Or being forced into it.

Think the difference between Viking Warrior and a conscripted, battle shocked soldier for a dictatorship. Thats the difference between Ysgard and Acheron.

A much better theme for Acheron would be law and conformity. The major native race on Acheron are the Bladelings (http://www.lomion.de/cmm/bladelin.php) and the faction that has the greatest presence on the plane are the Mercykillers (http://www.mimir.net/factions/mercykillers.html).

For Ysgard, a better theme would be individual glory and excess.

PoeticDwarf
2015-11-15, 12:16 PM
Ysgard doesn't have wars - it has battles, fights, and one on one combat, and the petitioners that die in them come back to life the next day. They are not too concerned about dying - it just means that they won't be able to get plastered that night:smallsmile:

Acheron has wars. Wars between the Orc and Hobgoblin powers, and is all about regimented conflict. Its order above life and the pertitioners there are prepared to lay down their lives for it. Or someone elses if its possible, but they will have little compuction about laying down theirs. Or being forced into it.

Think the difference between Viking Warrior and a conscripted, battle shocked soldier for a dictatorship. Thats the difference between Ysgard and Acheron.

A much better theme for Acheron would be law and conformity. The major native race on Acheron are the Bladelings (http://www.lomion.de/cmm/bladelin.php) and the faction that has the greatest presence on the plane are the Mercykillers (http://www.mimir.net/factions/mercykillers.html).

For Ysgard, a better theme would be individual glory and excess.

It sounds as a big difference, but undying and that sort of stuff seems for me fitting for both. I could think about it if I fixed the other things but I really don't have much time:smallfrown:

PoeticDwarf
2015-11-16, 08:09 AM
Changed the 1d10 of righteous warrior to anyone instead of just evil creatures, because I want to keep the theme in it it doesn't work if you surprise someone.