PDA

View Full Version : Arcane focus for a dwarf wizard

Seth1221
2015-11-14, 04:25 AM
Hi guys,

I wanted to pick your brains about this. I'm creating a dwarf fighter/wizard with soldier background (battlehammer clan). I would like him to have a great, suiting focus. Do you have any ideas?

Hyena
2015-11-14, 05:10 AM
Wizard's staff with a knob on the end.

Cyan Wisp
2015-11-14, 06:55 AM
Kind of like a miner's helmet with a crystal embedded in the front (like a light bulb/flashlight thing). When casting a spell, you reach up and touch the crystal. Spells erupt from your head.

If allowed, maybe a very long, curly, steel wand that is wrapped around your weapon's shaft so you can have both in hand at once. Maybe a bit cheaty?

A rod that is the shaft of one of your mining tools, like a pick or something (so, not a weapon).

An orb like a snow globe. When you shake it it rains gold instead of snow. When you channel through it, it shines with the fluctuating radiance of a spectrum of precious stones - glinting diamond, burning ruby, soothing sapphire...

A large geode that is embedded in your beard in an architectural way. It twinkles beautifully when active.

djreynolds
2015-11-14, 07:40 AM
Hi guys,

I wanted to pick your brains about this. I'm creating a dwarf fighter/wizard with soldier background (battlehammer clan). I would like him to have a great, suiting focus. Do you have any ideas?

I have a mountain dwarf abjurer wizard and though I don't use it, I have warhammer. That's my focus, family heirloom. Once you get warcaster, grab a shield with a frosty mug on it and use that. I'm not dipping so I can't get a shield.

EvilAnagram
2015-11-14, 08:37 AM
I would use pottery. As you prepare your spells, you imbue them into bits of clay (naturally, you carry plenty of it wherever you go). You form the clay into small figures that represent the spell to you, and as you imbue them with your magic ability they harden. When you cast a spell, what you are actually doing is smashing one of those figures on the ground as you speak your incantations.

I have a mountain dwarf abjurer wizard and though I don't use it, I have warhammer. That's my focus, family heirloom. Once you get warcaster, grab a shield with a frosty mug on it and use that. I'm not dipping so I can't get a shield.

Wizards can't use shields as focuses, period. That's purely a Paladin/Cleric deal.

Shaofoo
2015-11-14, 08:45 AM
I would first ask your DM what is possible.

Some DMs might not mind trying to combine your focus and weapon as one and the same while others will berate you for trying to do such a thing.

Would your DM not like it if you said that you craft a wand inside your hammer?

It all depends on the world and what your DM will allow.

Naanomi
2015-11-14, 10:04 AM
My dwarf wizard suspended material components in sealed shots of booze; bottoms up!

deathbymanga
2015-11-14, 10:27 AM
Warhammer with a the shaft turned into a wizard's staff. Two-weapons in one

SharkForce
2015-11-14, 11:14 AM
Wizards can't use shields as focuses, period. That's purely a Paladin/Cleric deal.

he never said use it as a focus. if anything, his recommendation for getting a shield *after* getting warcaster implies exactly the opposite.

(the frosty mug might be the clan symbol or something like that, can't quite recall).

gullveig
2015-11-14, 08:58 PM
A duergar skull for a necromancer or elven ears for a diviner.

djreynolds
2015-11-15, 07:25 AM

My apologies if that didn't come out right. Yes get war caster so you can use a shield and have your weapon like ceremonial thing. I just brought up the shield cause of Battlehammer in the books gives free beer.