View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Planar Shepherd and Thrallherd Party Seeks Optimization!

Endarire
2015-11-14, 04:42 AM
Intro
Greetings, all!

I'm part of a campaign starting soon with these parameters:

-A psionic campaign set in desert and Underdark regions. (The GM really likes psionics and wanted to run this campaign because I wanted to play a Psion.)

-2 main characters (a Druid/Planar Shepherd of Lamannia and a Telepath/Thrallherd). These characters are 'set in stone.' I quite want to play these characters as main characters, not others.

-We begin at ECL7 with standard wealth (19,000G) and EXP (21,000). We can spend EXP on crafting, power research, etc, but will start at a lower level as appropriate. (I don't want to start at a level lower than 6 after crafting, research, etc..) Our thrall (from Thrallherd) starts at 1 ECL lower than its master with 13,000G and 1 EXP less than is needed to reach the next level.

-28 point buy with all official and homebrew potentially allowed, subject to GM approval. This is a 3.5 campaign.

-The GM is currently totally OK with very powerful material (since that's the campaign's premise), but I want to avoid loops. Yes, I could get wish loops from Planar Shepherd by going with Fernia, but that defeats the game's point, and I'd rather play.
-The GM encouraged me to go Thrallherd out of curiosity to see how things will go.

-Thralls are treated as permanent party members and will stay until dismissed. I can have 1 Thrall at a time initially, and 2 Thralls at a time eventually. No keeping Thralls on deck (mind controlled/persuaded favorably toward me but 'inactive') like Pokemon.

-While I can have an arbitrarily large party (animals, mind controlled minions, etc.), I still have to manage all these units. Keep that in mind if you encourage me to play a zoo.

-I can pay EXP to research new psionic powers at a rate of 200 EXP per power level. (Power research takes about 1 day per power level instead of 1 definite week per power level.) I can learn powers from other class and discipline lists this way. These powers do not count against my limit of powers known.

-Custom spells and powers are possible, but subject to GM approval.

-Custom items may be allowed, but also subject to GM approval.

-Crafting takes 1 day per 10,000G instead of 1000G.

-No Magebred Animal Companions, but Warbeast is OK. (Even if this isn't RAW legal - and let's not debate that here - it's OK for now for us.)

Character Backstory
The campaign's 2 main characters are angels from the Upper Planes sent to evaluate the Prime Material plane (and perhaps connecting worlds) to determine whether they should be purged or allowed to remain. These angels are given new corporeal bodies for their duty.

Thematically, this means no evil stuff, and probably also no Undead for any characters I control, and no Dragonborn or Warforged for the 2 main characters.

Current Party
Gray Elf Psion5 (Telepath)/Thrallherd1 going more Thrallherd, Mindbender1, and perhaps Ghostbreaker (Hyperconscious)
This character focuses on social skills, utility powers (like teleport and plane shift), and mind control. He will start the game with astral construct researched among other powers, just because it's so very useful!

Strongheart Halfling Druid5/Planar Shepherd of Lamannia1 or 2 going more Planar Shepherd and Druid, and perhaps dipping Contemplative
This character focuses on being a Druid. This means Greenbound/Ashbound summons, Greensinger Initiate (for Planar Shepherd), Natural Bond (for uber Fleshraker companionship ASAP), and Natural Spell (because it's so standard @6 it should be a class feature). Future planned feats include Summon Elemental (for Earth Elemental scouting), Dragon Wild Shape (because it's useful), Versatile Spellcaster (I can effectively cast all my spells spontaneously by paying 2 lower level slots) and anything else that seems especially spiffy.

And, yes, this Druid will have a Fleshraker Animal Companion. Is it Large due to HD advancement? I'm not sure. I look to you forumers to research that and post a definitive answer!

Where I Seek Optimization: Thrall
I get a thrall from Thrallherd. This character is 1 ECL below its master. (It will likely start at ECL5 due to its master spending EXP on psionic power research.) I was considering these:

-Silverbrow Human Bard4/War Weaver5/Incantatrix1/Sublime Chord2/Incantatrix+8 party buffer and utility caster. (I may give him a level or 2 of Marshal for the auras.) Has the advantage of being CHA-focused when the main characters are INT- and WIS-focused. He's also potentially quite useful by his mere presence.
-<Race TBD> Bard4/Crusader1/Marshal1/Jade Phoenix Mage4/Sublime Chord2/Jade Phoenix Mage+6/X2. Arcane gish and party healer. Can be useful at fighting even in an antimagic field, etc.

-Strongheart Halfling OR Warforged Scout Artificer20. Has the advantages of Trapfinding and being able to make us stuff super cheap. Has the disadvantages of being not very useful on his own otherwise. (He's basically a magic item factory that can sometimes be useful in combat.)
-A Wizard (Transmuter?) of some kind, perhaps going War Weaver and Incantatrix.

-I'm taking suggestions.
Where I Seek Optimization: Items
I don't normally start a campaign having to itemize a small army. To recap:

-1 Psion (Telepath) focused on mind control, utility powers, and social skills, but minoring in other things (like blasting).

-1 Druid/Planar Shepherd of Lamannia focused on summoning and wild shaping, but minoring in everything else.

-1 Hi Welcome (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9724.0) Fleshraker Animal Companion

-1 Thrall with stats to be determined.
-19,000G per main character and 13,000G for the thrall, or 51,000G total. Mercantile Background, crafting feats, etc. are useful here!

Tvtyrant
2015-11-15, 12:57 AM
Thrallherd is in the perfect position to abuse the sacrifice rules from Book of Vile Darkness, since your followers are willing. At low levels this nets you planar binding for free, later use it for infinite lesser wishes.

For your thrall I suggest grabbing an Artificer or Bard. Artificer to make you things that benefit your position as a main caster, Bard granting dragon fire inspiration to make your followers into killing machines.

Endarire
2015-11-16, 01:53 AM
I'm strongly considering Artificer or Bard for the thrall due to major item discounts and Dragonfire Inspiration, respectively.

What items work well for the party considering the budget?

Tvtyrant
2015-11-16, 03:52 AM
I would run through the necesary item list and bunkos bargain list, as well as shax's hand haversack. Needed effecrs for that level are flight, int enhancing item, short range teleport, protection from evil, and you might invest in power point storing arrows to get hundreds of extra powrr points a day.

For your army of guys, if you go Artificer I would eventually get some discount eternal wands of fell drain sonic snap. Second level wand to instantly drain a level off a creature; against mid level casters they are a death sentence.

If you go Artificer you might get a fang golem, they are super neat at this level but will soon lose their strength.

For Bard get items which boost their inspire courage and get then Words of Creation. They should be able to add 6-10d6 to every hit, then just give your crew slings or whatever. If you can get guns for them do that, touch attacks are good forever and they already have the damage added.