PDA

View Full Version : They Come Like A Theif In The Night [Base Class]

Khoran
2007-05-31, 11:04 AM
Not all Champions of Good are the knights in shining armor the stories that children hear of in their beds. Outside of this glorious image there are the Nightblades, Crusaders against evil who strike at it where-ever it lays its head. The Nightblade is not far from the Paladin, they are both tools of the good gods, but these champions are far more willing to put their personal honor behind them to strike down evil where it stands, no matter what law protects it. The Nightblade will often use stealth and deception to strike down the wicked.
Adventures: A Nightblade will often see an adventure in a similar way to a Paladin, like a quest that they must complete. While their cousins are concerned more on Bravery and developing their martial skills, a Nightblade will focus more on hunting evils in the shadows and honing their deceptive practices. While they are dedicated to exterminating evil, a Nightblade must also attempt to aid those in need
Characteristics: A Nightblade’s strength lies mainly in its deceptive skill. Stealth, cunning and a silver tongue are what normally keep a Nightblade’s head on their shoulders. Although, one cannot disregard the divine power that the Nightblade has been granted, which may aid themselves and their allies in their mission against evil. Nightblades have their strengths in combat, able to strike hard at those who are wicked and those they are able to deceive.
Alignment: Nightblades are always Chaotic Good, and much like a Paladin, will lose their divine gifts if they ever deviate from this alignment. Like Paladins, they also swear a code of conduct, but theirs is less restrictive, granting the Nightblade more freedom to carry out their mission.
Religion: A Nightblade does not need to align themselves with a particular god; devotion to the cause of destruction of the wicked is enough to fuel their divine power. However, it is not uncommon for a Nightblade to swear themselves to one of the gods.
Background: What creates a Nightblade is a bit of an enigma. Perhaps they were to be Paladins, but did not comprehend their calling completely. Perhaps they are of their own stock, where Paladins are called by the Gods of Valor to begin their crusades; Nightblades are called by other sources. Perhaps there is no call; perhaps Nightblades are born, not made. Many Nightblades describe seeing a great injustice when they were children, often ones that went unpunished by the law.
Nightblades often are self trained, learning their non-divine abilities on streets of towns and cities. In youth, if they have not already discovered themselves, they would be more akin to a rogue with a nagging conscious. Nightblades are rarely members of the upper echelons of society, and are far more likely to rise out of poor city streets and slums. Though it is not unheard of for a nobleman to suddenly become inspired and join the ranks of the Nightblades.
Races: Humans take easily to becoming a Nightblade, with their flexibility and adaptability. Elves, Half-Elves and Halfling also have been known to become Nightblades, which blend more with their races morality and their natural abilities then becoming a Paladin. Gnomes rarely become Nightblades due to their aloof nature, and Dwarves are even rarer, often seeing the practices as dishonorable and untraditional.
Other Classes: NightBlades often are found amongst rogues, since this is where it is easiest to hide from those who would seek to end them before their missions are complete. They will often associate with near anymore, though are most reluctant to side with Paladins and Monks, who are often too restrictive and rigid to mix well with the Nightblade’s divine mission.
Role: The Nightblade is most often a melee combatant akin to a rogue, using their ability to sneak attack and smite evil to inflict damage upon the wicked. Their spell casting also allows them to act in a support role. High Charisma and many social skills also give a Nightblade the ability to become the “face” of the party.

The Nightblade
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Hit Die: d6
Class Skills Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide(Dex), Knowledge [Local][Religion] (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive(Wis), Sleight of Hand(Dex), Spot(Wis), Tumble(Dex), Use Magical Device(Cha), Use Rope(Dex)
Skills Points: 6+Int, (6+Int) x4 at First Level.
{table=head]Level|
Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|1st|2nd|3rd|4th

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Smite Evil 1/Day, Aura of Good, Detect Evil|-|-|-|-

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Divine Guardian|-|-|-|-

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Aura of Stealth, Divine Resistance, Sneak Attack +1d6|-|-|-|-

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Evasion|0|-|-|-

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Smite Evil 2/Day, Sneak Attack +2d6|0|-|-|-

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5 ||1|-|-|-

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|Sneak Attack +3d6|1|-|-|-

8th|
+6/1|
+2|
+6|
+6||1|0|-|-

9th|
+6/1|
+3|
+6|
+6| Sneak Attack +4d6|1|0|-|-

10th|
+7/2|
+3|
+7|
+7|Smite Evil 3/Day|1|1|-|-

11th|
+8/3|
+3|
+7|
+7|Sneak Attack +5d6|1|1|0|-

12th|
+9/4|
+4|
+8|
+8|Improved Evasion|1|1|1|-

13th|
+9/4|
+4|
+x8|
+8|Sneak Attack +6d6|1|1|1|-

14th|
+10/5|
+4|
+9|
+9||2|1|1|-

15th|
+11/6/1|
+5|
+9|
+9|Smite Evil 4/Day, Sneak Attack +7d6|2|1|1|0

16th|
+12/7/2|
+5|
+10|
+10||2|2|1|1

17th|
+12/7/2|
+5|
+10|
+10|Sneak Attack +8d6|2|2|2|1

18th|
+13/8/3|
+6|
+11|
+11||3|2|2|1

19th|
+14/9/4|
+6|
+11|
+11|Sneak Attack +9d6|3|3|3|2

20th|
+15/10/5|
+6|
+12|
+12|Smite Evil 5/day|3|3|3|3[/table]

Weapons and Armor Proficiency:
Nightblades are proficient with all Light Armors and Bucklers. Nightblades are proficient with all simple weapons and one Martial Weapon of their choice.

Divine Guardian (Su): The Gods have granted the Nightblade the power to have his very presence act as a protective shield. This shield is always active and is invisible. A Nightblade adds his Cha modifier (if positive) as a deflection modifier.

Aura of Stealth(Su): Beginning at 3rd level, a divinely magical force surrounds the Nightblade, partially muting sound and making the Nightblade seem to stand out less. While in this Aura, the Nightblade and all Allies within 10 feet gain +4 on Hide and Move Silently.

Divine Resistance (Ex): Starting at 4th Level, the Nightblade becomes immune to poison, including supernatural and magical poisons.

Spells:
1st: Bless, Bless Water, Bless Weapon, Create Water, Cure Light Wounds, Detect Poisons, Detect Undead, Divine Favor, Endure Elements, Magic Weapon, Protection from Law/Evil, Read Magic, Resistance, Restoration, Virtue
2nd: Cat's Grace, Delay Poison, Eagle's Splendor, Owl's Wisdom, Remove Paralysis, Resist Energy, Shield Other, Undetectable Alignment, Zone of Truth
3rd: Cure Moderate, Deeper Darkness, Discern Lies, Dispel Magic, Glibness, Magic Circle against Law/Evil, Greater Magic Weapon, Prayer, Remove Blindness/Deafness, Remove Curse
4th: 4th: Break Enchantment, Cure Serious Wounds, Death Ward, Dispel Law, Dispel Evil, Holy Sword, Mark of Justice, Neutralize Poison, Restoration

----
Whatcha'll think? This is mainly a product of boredom. I decided to practice writting the fluff and drew up a quick class to go along with it.

deadfalcon
2007-05-31, 11:54 AM
I like the Idea, I'm affraid I can't comment on the Class spec as I'm not very good at that, But on the Alignment restriction Shouldnt it be NG instead of CG as they have a code of conduct? coz as I understand it CG measn they act on impulse but only with good intentions. A code of conduct dosent really fit this. Just a thought. Good work :D

Oeryn
2007-05-31, 12:10 PM
I dig it, too. I'm no good at telling you whether or not it works, mechanically, but I like the fluff.

As for alignment, I'd have to agree that CG seems a little weird, given the "code". NG might be a good option, but I'm thinking Lawful Good might still work.

I've always been of the opinion that "Lawful" means that characters have a structure to their lives. It could be a code, an oath, or a belief in actual laws. But it could also just as well be an orderly mind, someone who likes to plan, and leave nothing to chance. And that works pretty well with what you have, here. Either way, I don't see them as particularly "chaotic"...

Of course, then there's less to set it apart from a normal paladin, and I think that's kinda what you're goin' for. So I don't know if that's an option you'd be interested in.

This is why I don't use alignment, myself...

DracoDei
2007-05-31, 12:36 PM
Having the sneak attack jump up by multible dice suddenly after several levels without increasing is jarring... keep the initial amount at 2d6 at level 2 if you MUST (but I would knock it down to 1d6 with perhaps a second at 3rd level, or MAYBE give them 1d6 at first level) but for the sake of sanity insert some intermediate increases between all the other ones you have.

Khoran
2007-05-31, 04:45 PM
I like the Idea, I'm affraid I can't comment on the Class spec as I'm not very good at that, But on the Alignment restriction Shouldnt it be NG instead of CG as they have a code of conduct? coz as I understand it CG measn they act on impulse but only with good intentions. A code of conduct dosent really fit this. Just a thought. Good work :D

I havn't written the code of conduct, but I've got some of the basics of it. It's flexiable enough to still allow a chaotic person. Just because you're chaotic dosn't mean your incapable of following rules, just you are not as not rigid as a lawful person in following them. The way I think of it is that if you give a chaotic person the paladin code, they'd try to strech it. But anyways, the outline.

1) No innocent lives are ever to be sacrificed or to be slain by the Nightblade, even if they happen to be evil. (They could have been evil and not done anything.)
2) You may never force the will of another into your cause.
3) Evil people can be tolerated, so long as it does not harm others.
4) You cannot be overly cruel. (Example: Swift deaths only. No playing with them.)

That's the gist of the code. It's going to be vauge enough that it should be interperted differnet ways. That said, I might change it to include NG, just that the idea behind the class is that it's good through lieing, stealing and assassination.

----

I dig it, too. I'm no good at telling you whether or not it works, mechanically, but I like the fluff.

As for alignment, I'd have to agree that CG seems a little weird, given the "code". NG might be a good option, but I'm thinking Lawful Good might still work.

I've always been of the opinion that "Lawful" means that characters have a structure to their lives. It could be a code, an oath, or a belief in actual laws. But it could also just as well be an orderly mind, someone who likes to plan, and leave nothing to chance. And that works pretty well with what you have, here. Either way, I don't see them as particularly "chaotic"...

Of course, then there's less to set it apart from a normal paladin, and I think that's kinda what you're goin' for. So I don't know if that's an option you'd be interested in.

This is why I don't use alignment, myself...
Well, I might move it to include Neutral Good as well, but as I said before, the idea is good through lying, theft and assassination. Basically, the theme I'm going for is everything a Paladin is not supposed to do (Lie, cheat, steal, asssassinate) is what these guys are supposed to do. A dagger in the throat, one less wrong doer in this world. Either way, when I invisioned this, I felt that lawful didn't fit.

And yeah, the alignment system isn't perfect, but my group and I all have a common understanding of where things fall on good/evil and law/chaos, so rarely do problems that I've seen argued over the net happen in real life.

---

Having the sneak attack jump up by multible dice suddenly after several levels without increasing is jarring... keep the initial amount at 2d6 at level 2 if you MUST (but I would knock it down to 1d6 with perhaps a second at 3rd level, or MAYBE give them 1d6 at first level) but for the sake of sanity insert some intermediate increases between all the other ones you have.

Yeah, I'm probobly gonna edit the SA progression, did feel a bit spread out but wanted to make sure. It's because I based their SA progression off of the Generic Classes in UA. Though I think I'm going to change that.

::Edit:: Changed their Sneak Attack Progression

Matthew
2007-06-11, 02:08 PM
I like the idea for this a lot. I wonder whether they shouldn't be just Good (Any), rather than Chaotic Good, though?

Khoran
2007-06-11, 09:22 PM
I like the idea for this a lot. I wonder whether they shouldn't be just Good (Any), rather than Chaotic Good, though?

Thank you for the bump, my friend. I already mentioned why I think they merit a chaotic alignment. These are supposed to be holy assassins and spies. They are supposed to cheat, lie and kill in the name of good and for their god. Basically, when I thought of this, I saw them doing everything a Paladin isn't supposed to.

A Paladin isn't supposed to associate with evil, a Nightblade does so regularly to get closer to a target.
A Paladin dosn't lie, a Nightblade does.
A Paladin most act with honor, a Nightblade slits your throat in your sleep.

To me, that seems to merit chaotic to me.

Matthew
2007-06-11, 09:45 PM
Ah yes, of course you did. I kind of meant Neutral Good would be alright, but then I thought why not Lawful Good as well...? Depends on the interpretation of the Alignment, I suppose.

Rama_Lei
2007-06-11, 09:53 PM
I'm too tired to fully analyze it, but I like what I see.

also, "i before e except after c"

Human Paragon 3
2007-06-11, 10:00 PM
Looks good to me- real good. I might add some arcane spells to the spell list- glibness and silence come to mind.

EvilElitest
2007-06-11, 10:01 PM
Absolutly love it, and yes i agree CG seems to be the aligment. Great fluff, wonderfully fleshed out, good code and nice idea
from,
EE

Khoran
2007-06-11, 11:06 PM
I'm too tired to fully analyze it, but I like what I see.

also, "i before e except after c"
Yeah, I need to do a grammatical edit. I'm aweful, aweful, aweful at grammar and often try to rush things. So, when I've got some down time, I'll start correcting all the typos and run-ons and such.

Looks good to me- real good. I might add some arcane spells to the spell list- glibness and silence come to mind.
Glibness is on thier spell list, but I'll add in a few more arcane spells. Silence is a definite.

Matthew
2007-06-15, 06:58 PM
I have to admit, I kind of want this to have 10D6 Sneak Attack at Level 20. Just by way of a variant, consider making Sneak Attack a fixed Bonus, something like +2 DB per Level.